• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Recruiting

Started by Valpo89, December 02, 2011, 09:34:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

justducky

With the 2012-13 roster now apparently set, there are still more questions than answers about all of the non-seniors and what each might contribute to next seasons results.

What about Rossi and Kurth, will either be both healthy and available next year? Don't know.
Any chance that Jordan Coleman can show up next fall ready for prime time significant minutes?  No clue.
Just how critically important will LaVonte Dority be to the team if he can not join it until mid-season? Absolutely no idea!
And  by carefully watching Capobianco and Fernandez standing at mid-court during team warm ups all year, the only thing  that I can confidently tell you about their abilities is that nobody in D-1 basketball could have stood there any better. But can they play? All of us are optimistic, but is all of this optimism rational? At least with Edwards and Harris we knew exactly  where we stood. Now, with all of these changes and uncertainties I don't know anymore.

I just can't wait for Nov to get here so we begin to get the total picture.

lowposter

Personally, I am looking forward to the summer. 

Basketball tends to "get me thru" the winter months, particularly January and February.

This team is well positioned to make a big impact in the HL and potentially win a game or two post season.  It should be fun, but personally, give me a few months of long days, tshirts and shorts, fresh vegetables from the garden, and all the other summer amenities.

lowposter

swiftmutiny

vu72

So much for the "transfer only" theory!  Sounds like a bigger, better shooting version of Erik Buggs!!   :thumbsup:
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

LaPorteAveApostle

Good to know and to have!  Perhaps this means they envision Nick Davidson as more of a combo guard--to play off, and then point when Lexus parks it on the bench?

http://www.nwitimes.com/sports/college/valparaiso-university/drew-lands-third-commit-for-class-of/article_757173c5-354b-51c9-ad32-0c94ceac8867.html

Here is Oren's take.  ...can we all agree that the problem with Illinois HS basketball is that they have the regional before the sectional?  Ridonkyoulous.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

RS

I don't think there ever was a "transfer theory". Bryce had a large number of players that would have or will be graduating after the 12-13 season. Bryce may have needed to ( or wanted to ) be able to spread out the recruiting situation to where 3 or 4 would normally graduate any given year. So bring in transfers to even out the number of players in each class and thus provide a more stable situation every year.  I expect to see more freshmen recruits from now on with perhaps transfers and jc recruits filling in the wholes as needed. 3 freshmen recruits to start next years recruiting class are an excellent example of what I think is what Bryce is looking for.

vuweathernerd

Quote from: vu72 on May 09, 2012, 08:16:32 PM
So much for the "transfer only" theory!  Sounds like a bigger, better shooting version of Erik Buggs!!   :thumbsup:

not much bigger ;)

bbtds

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on May 09, 2012, 08:47:12 PMcan we all agree that the problem with Illinois HS basketball is that they have the regional before the sectional?  Ridonkyoulous.

Juliet:"What's in a name? That which we call a rose
By any other name would smell as sweet."

Bill Tremorlongweapon

vu72

Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpopal

In high school Lexus is better known as "Hot Rod" Williams. Will he keep this nickname at Valpo?

justducky

Quote from: valpopal on May 10, 2012, 09:22:37 AM
In high school Lexus is better known as "Hot Rod" Williams. Will he keep this nickname at Valpo?
Might need to be tuned-up a little.

Does this mean that our 2013 offer to Dominique Hawkins point guard from Madison Central in Kentucky will now be withdrawn? These 2 seem to be very similar type ballplayers. I would think the rest of the 2013 scholarships would go to big guys.

bbtds

Quote from: justducky on May 10, 2012, 11:35:26 AM
Quote from: valpopal on May 10, 2012, 09:22:37 AM
Might need to be tuned-up a little.

Does this mean that our 2013 offer to Dominique Hawkins point guard from Madison Central in Kentucky will now be withdrawn? These 2 seem to be very similar type ballplayers. I would think the rest of the 2013 scholarships would go to big guys.

I truly believe for Valpo it's make the offer and see if it's accepted and then if too many are accepted then they "work" something out. Or is this against NCAA regulations?

chef

It is very common for a team to offer two similar players. If one accepts, the other offer is withdrawn. I.E. Scott Martin accepts offer from Purdue. Purdue withdraws offer to Matt Howard. Matt Howard leads Butler to two NCAA championship games. Scott Martin transfers to Notre Dame.

StlVUFan

Quote from: chef on May 10, 2012, 10:51:10 PM
It is very common for a team to offer two similar players. If one accepts, the other offer is withdrawn. I.E. Scott Martin accepts offer from Purdue. Purdue withdraws offer to Matt Howard. Matt Howard leads Butler to two NCAA championship games. Scott Martin transfers to Notre Dame.
That was both informative and entertaining.  Well done, sir ;)

lowposter

I like what Bryce and crew is doing here.  Yeah, I complained somewhat about the transfers in and the transfers out.  That is probably out of necessity to be competitive NOW and for the next coupole of years.

This group of '13s is shaping up nicely...returning to players within 50 miles of VU.  That creates a local buzz.  The Chicago connection is starting to take hold. 

The Madison Central PG - Hawkins - is a load.  The offer to Williams means Hawkins was probably either leaning another way, or was not ready to commit.  Better to take someone who is ready and willing than wait for someone else...who might fly away.

The Howard/Martin comparison is excellent.  Martin was the higher level recruit...Howard would have been the missing piece, he was an outstanding college basketball player.  Image, if you will...Etwan, Juwan, Robbie, and Matt.  What a shame.

Lowposter

bbtds

Quote from: lowposter on May 11, 2012, 10:52:05 AM
The Howard/Martin comparison is excellent.  Martin was the higher level recruit...Howard would have been the missing piece, he was an outstanding college basketball player.  Image, if you will...Etwan, Juwan, Robbie, and Matt.  What a shame.

Lowposter

They just don't call that many flops in the Big Ten. I read it's one of the reasons, besides getting hurt, that Howard never made it in the Greek League. Also economically the Greeks couldn't afford an expensive American who was playing injured. Americans who produced cheaply were at a premium and Howard wasn't producing.

wh

Greece is the biggest entitlement society across the pond.  Their government is broke and seeking a bailout from Germany and other European nations but aren't willing to make any meaningful reductions to social program funding to reduce their incredible national debt.  Matt Howard would never fit into a place like that.  He works way too hard and doesn't expect to be handed anything.  Moreover, Greek professional basketball teams are required to have a specific majority percentage (don't recall the %) of Greek players on each team (more entitlements).  So, an American player like Matt could be better than several Greeks on his team and still get cut.  He'll be far better off playing somewhere else where hard work and equal opportunity are better valued.

bbtds

Two foreigners per Greek team.

valpopal

For what it is worth:

Pike HS 6'6" forward Jamie Rutherford (2013) is currently visiting Butler. He is also receiving interest from UIC, Valpo, Western Michigan, Detroit and SMU.

bbtds

Quote from: valpopal on May 11, 2012, 01:26:54 PM
For what it is worth:

Pike HS 6'6" forward Jamie Rutherford (2013) is currently visiting Bulter. He is also receiving interest from UIC, Valpo, Western Michigan, Detroit and SMU.

I saw highlights on HTSI from the the Pike vs Park Tudor game from January. I thought Rutherford was better than Yogi Ferrel in that game. Pike knocked off the 2A powerhouse by 12.

valpopal

Another bit of info: Mack Mercer 6'8" from Plymouth HS (2014) has visited Indiana State and is planning a visit to Valpo.

valpopal

The Best Shooting Wing In Illinois From 2013?

Peters converted 3-point shots with uncanny accuracy in his Peoria Irish 17-under squad's opening round platinum division tournament contest versus the Chi-Town Diablos.  His play throughout the event was instrumental in enabling the Irish to reach the quarterfinals of the tournament. Peters has a smooth, quick release and absolute textbook form when it comes to his shot.  If you give him an ounce of room from behind the 3-point stripe it is going to be money just about every time.  Again, that is what we are talking about when it comes to the crux of this article.  College coaches who have watched Peters have certainly taken notice of this, as he currently holds scholarship offers from the likes of Indiana-Purdue-Ft. Wayne, Illinois State, Illinois-Chicago, Wisconsin-Green Bay, IUPUI, Loyola-Chicago, Valparaiso, and Tulane.

So based on everything that we have examined, who would we go with as the best shooting wing in Illinois from the 2013 class? Right now from everything that we have seen we would give Peters the slight edge.

http://ilprepbullseye.com/Top_Shooting_Wings.html

PS from Scott Burgess of Chicago Hoops on twitter this morning: "Alec Peters goes for an incredible 45 points in the Irish loss to the Louisville Magic. He was the best I've ever seen him."

wh

Andrean star reaffirms commitment to the Crusaders:
By Paul Oren Times Correspondent
Sunday, May 13, 2012 7:00 pm

VALPARAISO | When Chicago point guard Lexus Williams gave his verbal commitment to the Valparaiso men's basketball team last week, it looked like at first glance that Bryce Drew was picking up some insurance in case Andrean star Nick Davidson decided to reopen his recruitment.

Spend any amount of time talking to Davidson and it becomes apparent that the senior-to-be can't wait to get started with the Crusaders in the fall of 2013.

"I'm 100 percent committed to Valparaiso," Davidson said. "There's absolutely no doubt about it."

When Davidson talked about the Crusaders, he used words like "we" and "us," and noted that he was bummed out when Valparaiso fell in the Horizon League championship game against Detroit.

"I liked what we did this year, but it just didn't work out," Davidson said. "I was in the crowd for the tournament games and it's a dream to play in front of fans like that. Being in that atmosphere, it was motivation to get back in the gym the next day."

Getting in the gym will be a focal point for Davidson this summer as the Andrean star will be stepping away from AAU Basketball this year. While a lot of players spend the summer before their senior year playing as many games as possible to earn the best college offer they can get, Davidson plans to use his offseason to put on some muscle and play open gym games with his future teammates.

"I'd get to the end of my high school seasons and just be fatigued," Davidson said. "I want to take care of my body and get ready for a successful final year at Andrean, and then make the transition to Valpo."

Davidson and fellow VU commit Clay Yeo (Triton) spent time together watching Valparaiso games this season and now Williams will be added to the mix next year. The three have already been communicating with each other about potential teammates that the coaching staff could sign with the three remaining scholarships for the 2013-14 season.

While Davidson is eager to get his Valparaiso career started, he was disappointed to learn that Butler bolted for the Atlantic 10 and will be out of the Horizon League by the time Davidson and his incoming teammates are on the roster.

"I thought the whole thing was kind of sad," Davidson said. "I have a tremendous amount of respect for Butler and it won't be the same without them on the schedule. It's a packed house and I was looking forward to playing in those games."

wh

I'm not sure why P.O. would say that at first glance it looked like Bryce offered Lexus Williams as insurance in case Nick Davidson reopened his recruiting.  Williams is a pure PG and Nick is a 6-4 SG.  They're a perfect complement.