• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Recruiting

Started by Valpo89, December 02, 2011, 09:34:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpopal

I believe Friday, June 15, is the first day coaches can make unlimited direct contact with recruits from the class of 2014. I assume we can expect an increase in activity.

wh

Quote from: valpo64 on June 14, 2012, 09:53:32 PM
Am interested to hear what the status of Alec Peters is currently...I had been under the impression that he was leaning toward Valpo.  He an his Dad told me at a VU b=ball game late in the year that he intended to decide and sign during the early signing period.  At that time he spoke very well of Valpo, especially of Bryce and the young staff and appeared to be leaning toward Valpo.  Sounds like he could be a great find if we can get him.
Ah, I was just trying to recall who had said they had an encounter with Alec and his Dad at one of our home games this past season.  So it was you, 64.  It's not often that one of us has an opportunity to help influence the decision of such an important recruit.  If Alec decides to bring his considerable talents to Valpo, you deserve kudos for being a great ambassador  :).

By the way, I'm being serious.  Like anywhere in life, a friendly welcome from someone you don't know in an unfamiliar setting can go a long way in leaving a lasting positive impression.

valpopal

According to ESPN, in addition to previously mentioned Steve Haney, Valpo now has offers out to two others from the 2013 class: Toby Hegner (6'9" PF) and Jubril Adedkaya (6'6" SF). All are rated two-star recruits by ESPN, three-star ratings by Rivals.

LaPorteAveApostle

Perhaps someone more in the know than I could set up a 2013 offer list in a separate thread, to keep track of all the offerees?
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

valpopal

Quote from: valpopal on June 15, 2012, 10:48:05 AM
According to ESPN, in addition to previously mentioned Steve Haney, Valpo now has offers out to two others from the 2013 class: Toby Hegner (6'9" PF) and Jubril Adedkaya (6'6" SF). All are rated two-star recruits by ESPN, three-star ratings by Rivals.

Apparently, Toby Hegner committed to Creighton today.

valpo64

Please help some of us less educated in the rules of recruiting...when is the actual early signing period?  As of today, are the coaches permitted to contact recruits?  How long is that period for actual contact?

vu72

Quote from: valpo64 on June 18, 2012, 07:38:43 PM
Please help some of us less educated in the rules of recruiting...when is the actual early signing period?  As of today, are the coaches permitted to contact recruits?  How long is that period for actual contact?

This covers the early signing period question:

http://basketball.about.com/od/recruiting/a/signing-dates.htm

This should cover the "July" question:

http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/public/ncaa/resources/basketball+resources/july+coaches+primer
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpopal

Quote from: valpopal on June 15, 2012, 10:48:05 AM

I am hearing that Jubril Adekaya (Adekoya?) has committed to Valpo. I am waiting for an announcement.

Update: Confirmed commitment by Adekoya: http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/recruiting/player-Jubril-Adekoya-113777

Adekoya has also tweeted news of his commitment to Valpo.

swiftmutiny

Valpo Lands Meanstreets Star Jubril Adekoya

QuoteJubril Adekoya of Andrew High School is a 6'6 forward that is everywhere on the court. He is a high energy player that fills the stat sheet every game he plays. Adekoya constantly shows improvement in his perimeter game, and he is a hard-nose player on both ends of the court. The 2013 prospect is one person that always has a major effect on the game with his all-around skill set and his gritty play.
Source

LaPorteAveApostle

"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

covufan

Quote from: valpopal on June 14, 2012, 11:34:47 PM
I believe Friday, June 15, is the first day coaches can make unlimited direct contact with recruits from the class of 2014. I assume we can expect an increase in activity.
I wonder if Kelvin Sampson is all atwitter over the new NCAA rules on contact and social media? ;)

bbtds

Quote from: covufan on June 20, 2012, 04:14:55 PM
Quote from: valpopal on June 14, 2012, 11:34:47 PM
I wonder if Kelvin Sampson is all atwitter over the new NCAA rules on contact and social media? ;)

Just ask him. Text to "ohnoididnt"

sectionee

What a good get for Coach Drew...I'm guessing a nice get by Coach Powell.  The class of 2013 is looking better and better!

vu72

In one of the papers this morning the Chicago connection was noted.  Apparently not since Jarryd Loyd and Vince Humprey signed with Valpo have we had two Chicago area kids in the same class.  No doubt Coach Powell has had a lot to do with this and wonder whether or not he will succeed Bryce when he does leave the program.  Coach Gore has more seniority but Powell carries the bigger name and perhaps better connections, at least in Illinois.

In any event, the 2013-2014 team will have four kids from Chicago.  I expect that kids like Lexus Williams and now Jabril will have any impact on influencing others to follow.  Alex Peters would be the fifth Illinois player and make for a complete five man team coming in.  Let's hope so...
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

LaPorteAveApostle

Do you have the link, VU72?

I would reach out to Sampson. I hear he's in the mood for textual healing.

vu72

valpotx

Sounds like it was a great thing for us to have Lexus and Nick already verbally committed (with Jabril), since all 3 have known each other for quite some time!  If Vashil develops into his body and gets some offense (based on reports from fans on here), it sounds like we should be able to replace some solid production after next season.
"Don't mess with Texas"

vu72

Quote from: valpotx on June 21, 2012, 01:11:04 PM
Sounds like it was a great thing for us to have Lexus and Nick already verbally committed (with Jabril), since all 3 have known each other for quite some time!  If Vashil develops into his body and gets some offense (based on reports from fans on here), it sounds like we should be able to replace some solid production after next season.
[/b]
I'm pretty sure we will be loaded after next year.  Besides Vashil and his possibilities, we bring back Bobby and Lavonty and add Alex Rossi and David Chatwick. Jordan Coleman also returns plus this highly regarded class.  So in all likelihood the freshman will all be backups and then ready to take over their sophomore year.  looks very solid! Even when these guys are sophomores we will still have Chadwick, Rossi and Vashil for another year!

LaPorteAveApostle

Thanks for the link, vu72!  Sorry--I hadn't gotten around to reading Oren yet today (I read the Times & Post nearly every day, even though i've been gone from the region for three years)!  Figured it might be a Chicago paper that said that.

Yeah--looking at our eligibility chart, we are going to be good for a long time (long time measured in college sports generations, anyway).

Speaking of our eligibility chart, last week I got an email from Will Phipps, asking to add Coach Powell to the list of editors of the chart--he said they had plenty of charts, but they liked ours!  So congrats to the board!

One more thing:  Oren calls this "one of the most anticipated freshmen classes in Valparaiso history."
[/size]
Do we think that is so?  I mean, easily in recent memory perhaps, when recruiting classes are often NOT freshmen, but still...when the dust settles and the ink dries we'll have to weigh these things. :)

covufan

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on June 21, 2012, 04:23:19 PMOne more thing:  Oren calls this "one of the most anticipated freshmen classes in Valparaiso history."
[/size][/color]
Do we think that is so?  I mean, easily in recent memory perhaps, when recruiting classes are often NOT freshmen, but still...when the dust settles and the ink dries we'll have to weigh these things.

I think it could be, at least since the Kenny Harris Freshman class.

Valpo89

Quote from: covufan on June 21, 2012, 06:06:54 PM
Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on June 21, 2012, 04:23:19 PMOne more thing:  Oren calls this "one of the most anticipated freshmen classes in Valparaiso history."
[/size][/color]
Do we think that is so?  I mean, easily in recent memory perhaps, when recruiting classes are often NOT freshmen, but still...when the dust settles and the ink dries we'll have to weigh these things.

I think some people tend to jump the gun when making those kind of proclamations. It's like saying Glenn Robinson winning the NBA title with the Spurs was one of the greatest moments in NWI sports history. I don't think anyone should be able to say or write something like that unless they are at least 50-60 years old.

justducky

Quote from: covufan on June 21, 2012, 06:06:54 PM
[/size][/color]

Lets approach this subject from another direction. I think that we can all in general agree that we would like to be a program that could consistantly compete well with the bottom half of the Big Ten and the top half of the A-10. So lets say that Nebraska, Penn State, Northwestern, Dayton, Butler, and Xavier all have 6 seniors going into next season and all so far have verbal commitments from guys named Lexus Williams, Jubril Adekoya, Clay Yeo and Nick Davidson. What is the reaction from their fan bases?

LaPorteAveApostle

http://www.nwitimes.com/blogs/sports/valparaiso-university/valparaiso-s-anticipated-class-of/article_1704ff6a-bc80-11e1-8d61-0019bb2963f4.html

...someone's been reading our mail...if you're still reading this, paul, you might ask the Times why your blog doesn't load unless you click the RSS feed...

valpopal

For what it is worth: I don't remember seeing here that 6'6" JUCO first-team All-American Karrington Ward (2013) recently tweeted that he has an offer from Valpo.  He also has offers from Wichita State, DePaul, Seton Hall, Bradley, Baylor, Florida State, and others.

http://chicagohoops.hoops247.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1983:karrington-ward-a-hot-recruiting-target&catid=34:recruiting

bbtds

I just noticed that a story was written on the recruiting power of Coach Powell. Roger's hiring could be the second most important staff hiring next to either Scott Drew or Bryce.

http://chicagohoops.hoops247.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1984:powell-emerging-as-a-force-at-valpo&catid=34:recruiting