• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Recruiting

Started by Valpo89, December 02, 2011, 09:34:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpopal

Quote from: vu72 on July 05, 2012, 09:55:36 PM
Peters would be the "capstone" for the class of '13.  He is getting interest all over the place!

http://www.chicagohoops.hoops247.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2064:sizzling-alec-peters-visits-a-pair-of-schools&catid=34:recruiting

Peters just received three more offers: Rice, St. Louis, and Boston College. Would love to see him at Valpo!
http://www.rocwithme.com/alec/alec-peters-gets-three-offers-start-july-period

bbtds

Quote from: valpopal on July 16, 2012, 06:38:09 PM
Mercer reports receiving three offers thus far. I believe they are Indiana State, Ball State, and Kent State.

Well, at least Mercer would be STATING the obvious if he said he was going to STATE.

bbtds

Any thoughts of getting Andrew Dakich, a coach-ready-to-be, who might run the offense in the years 2013 to 2017?

And then who knows if he might be the Valpo coach of the future. He's not really a Region guy with growing up in Bowling Green, OH and Zionsville (north Indy area). I don't think Dan, his father, would be too unhappy if Andrew played at Valpo.

http://www.indystar.com/article/20120718/SPORTS/207190328/As-son-former-coach-Andrew-Dakich-shows-he-student-basketball?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|IndyStar.com

covufan

Quote from: bbtds on July 19, 2012, 01:10:00 AM
Any thoughts of getting Andrew Dakich, a coach-ready-to-be, who might run the offense in the years 2013 to 2017?

And then who knows if he might be the Valpo coach of the future. He's not really a Region guy with growing up in Bowling Green, OH and Zionsville (north Indy area). I don't think Dan, his father, would be too unhappy if Andrew played at Valpo.

http://www.indystar.com/article/20120718/SPORTS/207190328/As-son-former-coach-Andrew-Dakich-shows-he-student-basketball?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|IndyStar.com
In 1988 when Smith left Valpo, I thought that Valpo should hire Dan Dakich - he was young, hungry, knew the region, and was well respected.  Having known of Homer Drew's Bethel teams, I was still pleasantly pleased.  After a few rough years, it really worked out for Valpo and Homer.  Dakich was too young, but may have been ready to learn how to be a head coach, ala Dane Fife.

covufan

Quote from: bbtds on July 19, 2012, 01:10:00 AM

Has Zionsville had any point guards that had any success?

bbtds

Does the name Brad Stevens ring any bells?

http://www.thedepauw.com/brad-stevens-from-player-to-coach-1.2137227#.UAhO_2FfHLI

BF(DePauw MBB coach): He (Stevens) developed into a really good leader. He had to make a lot of adjustments because he was a guy who let you know he's been really big scorer in high school, and that part of his game didn't really translate as well to the college game.

He was the guy who really helped us develop the more talented young players his senior year. He was a great leader and great captain for our group. He really was helpful - just kind of spring board. That group with those freshmen when he was a senior was the group that ended up about three possessions away form the Final Four and ranked as high as No. 2 and finished the season ranked No. 4 in the country. It was as good of a team I've ever had in my time here and it started Brad's senior year.

And a side note on Stevens: BF: Our big thing now is texting. He's a big social media, email and texting kind of guy. We exchanged messages Tuesday so we're in pretty good communication. When it gets down to NCAA tournament time, time is really a premium for those guys so the last thing I'm going to be doing is calling up and bugging him especially this time of year.

I'm thinking of Andrew Dakich as a future coach and a coach on the floor.

P.S. You can hear Dan Dakich everyday on WNFI (ESPN radio) on the internet at http://www.1070thefan.com/listen/

Greg Rakestraw (former IUPUI pbp announcer & UIndy grad) is sitting in for Dan today.

covufan

Quote from: bbtds on July 19, 2012, 01:23:23 PM

Does the name Brad Stevens ring any bells?

http://www.thedepauw.com/brad-stevens-from-player-to-coach-1.2137227#.UAhO_2FfHLI

BF(DePauw MBB coach): He (Stevens) developed into a really good leader. He had to make a lot of adjustments because he was a guy who let you know he's been really big scorer in high school, and that part of his game didn't really translate as well to the college game.

He was the guy who really helped us develop the more talented young players his senior year. He was a great leader and great captain for our group. He really was helpful - just kind of spring board. That group with those freshmen when he was a senior was the group that ended up about three possessions away form the Final Four and ranked as high as No. 2 and finished the season ranked No. 4 in the country. It was as good of a team I've ever had in my time here and it started Brad's senior year.

And a side note on Stevens: BF: Our big thing now is texting. He's a big social media, email and texting kind of guy. We exchanged messages Tuesday so we're in pretty good communication. When it gets down to NCAA tournament time, time is really a premium for those guys so the last thing I'm going to be doing is calling up and bugging him especially this time of year.

I'm thinking of Andrew Dakich as a future coach and a coach on the floor.
That is exactly who I was thinking of!

zvillehaze

Quote from: covufan on July 19, 2012, 01:09:04 PMHas Zionsville had any point guards that had any success?

Here's one that's pretty good ... http://www.elonphoenix.com/news/2012/3/13/MBB_0313124231.aspx?path=mbball    Lot of schools in Indiana must be wondering how they let him get away.

covufan

Quote from: zvillehaze on July 19, 2012, 03:13:58 PM
Quote from: covufan on July 19, 2012, 01:09:04 PMHas Zionsville had any point guards that had any success?

Here's one that's pretty good ... http://www.elonphoenix.com/news/2012/3/13/MBB_0313124231.aspx?path=mbball    Lot of schools in Indiana must be wondering how they let him get away.
Isenbarger.  Has to be related to a name I remember from IU football, right?

zvillehaze

Quote from: covufan on July 20, 2012, 04:23:20 PM
Isenbarger.  Has to be related to a name I remember from IU football, right?

Be careful ... you're showing your age!  ;D  His uncle John was on IU's last Rose Bowl team in '68.  Dad Phil was on IU's '81 National Championship basketball team.  Jack's a good player and better kid ... glad to see him doing so well.

justducky

Quote from: zvillehaze on July 20, 2012, 08:06:44 PMBe careful ... you're showing your age!    His uncle John was on IU's last Rose Bowl team in '68.  Dad Phil was on IU's '81 National Championship basketball team
I was going to bring that age thing up but am glad that Z-ville did it instead. So there was a John who and he played what? : 

For many many years I was a casual IU football fan but a hard core IU basketball fan, but my memories of John are still far clearer than of Jacks father Phil. I think I was late to the 81 bandwagon by righting them off too early. Very gradually over many decades I've completely forgotten where Bloomington Ind. is located. So do they still play basketball down there?; and is Lou Watson still coaching?             

bbtds

Quote from: justducky on July 20, 2012, 10:24:38 PM
Quote from: zvillehaze on July 20, 2012, 08:06:44 PMBe careful ... you're showing your age!    His uncle John was on IU's last Rose Bowl team in '68.  Dad Phil was on IU's '81 National Championship basketball team
I was going to bring that age thing up but am glad that Z-ville did it instead. So there was a John who and he played what? : 

For many many years I was a casual IU football fan but a hard core IU basketball fan, but my memories of John are still far clearer than of Jacks father Phil. I think I was late to the 81 bandwagon by righting them off too early. Very gradually over many decades I've completely forgotten where Bloomington Ind. is located. So do they still play basketball down there?; and is Lou Watson still coaching?             

Yep, just north of Smithville and Lake Monroe and fighting I-69 (the building of the extention from Indy to Evansville) till the day they die.

They've had a few coaches since Lou and some man named Creen thinks they still play basketball if you call it that.  ;)

historyman

As of 12:54 p.m. CDT Marist is playing Bogan, tape, on CN100 (channel 4 on Comcast) with Valpo recruit Lexus Williams #15 playing for the red shirted Marist.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

valpopal

Quote from: historyman on July 21, 2012, 12:56:34 PM
As of 12:54 p.m. CDT Marist is playing Bogan, tape, on CN100 (channel 4 on Comcast) with Valpo recruit Lexus Williams #15 playing for the red shirted Marist.
Will also be replayed at 4 p.m. CDT for those who missed it.

historyman

It was one heck of an exciting finish, and I'm sure it's the reason they show it so often, and well worth viewing at 4:00 p.m.

Although the Valpo recruit, Lexus Williams, does make some very recognizable errors, his enthusiasm and leadership are well exhibited in this sectional game against Bogan.

Reminder: An Illinois sectional is the equivalent of an Indiana regional. 
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

bbtds

http://chicagohoops.hoops247.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2128:alec-peters-gives-latest-on-his-recruiting&catid=34:recruiting

Per Alec Peters, Washington, IL HS:

"A lot of schools showing interest right now are Butler, Clemson, Oklahoma, Iowa State, and a lot of Big 12, Pac 12, and ACC schools.  It is going real good right now.  Hopefully by the end of the month we will have a nice list so we can sit down and plan visits."

Any schools standing out right now?

"Definitely interested in Illinois State, Butler, Valparaiso, Green Bay, and Boston College."

"Somewhere I can go and play right away and make an immediate impact.  Somewhere I don't want to be recruited over.  A place with good academics, which it is hard to find a school that doesn't have good academics.  Some place I can fit in good and have a good relationship with the coaching staff."

"I would really like to make a decision before my high school season whether it is at the end of August or in November.  I would like to sign early."

Valpo sounds like a really good fit for Alec.

wh

Unless I'm confusing him with someone else, I recall reading somewhere that he also wants to go where his family can watch him play in person as much as possible - another advantage Valpo.

vuweathernerd

intriguing that we're somehow standing out amongst the likes of clemson, oklahoma, iowa state, and numerous other big 12/pac 12/acc schools. he must've had one hell of a visit when he came to campus.

SadersofthelostArc

I'm not sure it's that surprising, nerd...the one high major he mentions is the only high major that has given him an offer (according to reports).  A lot of times recruits will list schools who are showing interest who may never intend to offer a scholarship.

valpopal

Rivals reports that St Louis has also extended an offer to Alec Peters.

valpo64

wh...I was the one who talked about Alec Peters when he and his Dad visited the campus..They sat next to us at the game.  They said he would like to be close so family could watch him, mentioned that academics were important but he especially liked our young coaching staff and the closeness of the entire staff.  Alec said he really liked Bryce and that he had the impression that the staff enjoyed being at VU and thought it was a stable staff...he felt the coaches would all be there while he was in school. He and his Dad were very impressive and he sure would be as great catch if he comes with us.  I would think we have a great shot in getting him. 

wh

Quote from: valpo64 on July 24, 2012, 08:23:14 PM
wh...I was the one who talked about Alec Peters when he and his Dad visited the campus..They sat next to us at the game.  They said he would like to be close so family could watch him, mentioned that academics were important but he especially liked our young coaching staff and the closeness of the entire staff.  Alec said he really liked Bryce and that he had the impression that the staff enjoyed being at VU and thought it was a stable staff...he felt the coaches would all be there while he was in school. He and his Dad were very impressive and he sure would be as great catch if he comes with us.  I would think we have a great shot in getting him. 
Ah, that's it exactly.  Thanks for jogging my memory.  Let's keep our fingers crossed.

valpopal

Here is a very good video interview with Peters about his decision. Peters would be a perfect fit for VU, and I think he would be the crucial piece to succeed Rowdy and assure at least a couple of Valpo visits to the NCAA tournament during his tenure at VU:

http://www.cinewsnow.com/sports/Washingtons-Alec-Peters-on-Recruiting-163485226.html

vufan75

Another recruit who was at some point offered by Valpo per Scott Burgess at ChicagoHoops.com on 7-24-12.

http://chicagohoops.hoops247.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2130:lance-whitaker-talks-uic-bu-offers&catid=34:recruiting

Lance Whitaker Talks UIC, BU Offers
Written by Scott Burgess   
Tuesday, 24 July 2012 05:48

The heart and soul of a talented Illinois Wolves 17U squad is Bartlett High School guard Lance Whitaker.  The rising senior had a huge weekend at the NY2LA Sports Under Armour Summer Jam.  He played lockdown defense throughout the weekend and shot the ball well from the perimeter.

After his big weekend Whitaker picked up an offer from UIC on Monday morning.

"I've been in contact with them over the last few weeks.  They came and watched the tournament this past weekend and they basically just gave me a call this morning and let me know they wanted to offer me."

On Monday night he would pick up another one courtesy of Boston University after speaking with their head coach.

"My dad was talking to him and he said he wanted to talk to me.  So we talked for about 10 minutes and he just told me he wanted to offer me."

Whitaker is an honor student that sports a 28 ACT score.  The guard says he also holds offers from Valparaiso and SIU-Edwardsville.

"I am still in contact with Valpo and SIU-Edwardsville.  I have been talking to Eastern Kentucky, Northern Illinois, and Siena."

He spoke about getting his game all the way back to the high level he is playing at after coming off an ACL injury.

"I feel like I have improved a lot with my knee.  I am feeling stronger than ever.  I have been working on getting my game back to normal."

sectionee

knee injury...yikes.  unless his name is Robbie Hummel, I'm staying away!  :o