• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Recruiting

Started by Valpo89, December 02, 2011, 09:34:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sectionee

How that fits in recruiting is beyond me...I assumed the conversation was on Peters position since thats what all the previous posts were about. Regardless yes Ryan can play the three in college. He has the length and the smarts to make up for whatever he might give in quickness...and we play zone a lot.

historyman

Here is some video of Alec Peters that I don't believe has been posted yet. It's video in 2 games that Alec Peters played in against Morton, IL HS and Peoria Central which are 2 of Washington HS's biggest rivals according to the Bradley Braves message board

(AMAGYLON PRESENTS) Washington Community H.S. Wing Alec Peters '13

"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

historyman

News story on WMBD channel 31 in Peoria on Alec Peters during the summer after their sectional loss.

http://centralillinoisproud.com/fulltext?nxd_id=259412
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

historyman

I believe that the first part of this video was already posted on this message board but if you keep watching you will see that the total interview from beginning to end is also on the end of this video. It comes from WHOI channel 19 in Peoria.

http://www.cinewsnow.com/sports/Washingtons-Alec-Peters-on-Recruiting-163485226.html

historyman

Just in case you haven't had enough yet here is some more video on Alec Peters. This time the video is from an AAU tournament that Peters played in for his AAU team, the Peoria Irish.

Alec Peters 2013 Washington (IL) at the GRBA Championships

wh

@petersalec: Big thanks to the ISU coaches and players for showing me what the red birds are all about this weekend

@petersalec: Also bigger thanks to @Ekey22 for being a great host.

Alec's Valpo visit is this coming weekend. 

zvillehaze

Tweet from last evening ... interesting because I didn't know Tennessee was involved.

Gavin Sullivan‏@PeoriaIrish:  Tennessee is in to watch 2013 Wing Alec Peters tonight & will be watching 2014 PG Marcus Bartley tomorrow morning!

vuweathernerd

Quote from: zvillehaze on September 10, 2012, 03:15:11 PM
Tweet from last evening ... interesting because I didn't know Tennessee was involved.

Gavin Sullivan‏@PeoriaIrish:  Tennessee is in to watch 2013 Wing Alec Peters tonight & will be watching 2014 PG Marcus Bartley tomorrow morning!

late arrival to the party, it sounds like. hopefully their interest doesn't spook him and he commits to valpo.  :)

valpopal

According to an update about Alec Peters, the Valpo coaches will conduct a home visit this week before he comes to VU on the weekend.

wh

Alec Peters Talks Illinois State Official Visit
Chicago Hoops    - Recruiting
WRITTEN BY SCOTT BURGESS      
MONDAY, 10 SEPTEMBER 2012 18:25

One of the most highly contested races for a recruit in the state of Illinois is for the services of Washington High School small forward Alec Peters.

The Peoria Irish star had a huge summer that made him a priority recruit for several programs.  One of those is Illinois State where he officially visited over the weekend.

"When I got there we met with Coach Muller and we talked for a while about my game and everything.  I got to play with their guys both days.  I got to meet the President and the AD too."

There were several aspects of the visit that impressed Peters.

"I was really happy to find out that the whole team does everything together.  Me and Paris (Lee) were with them all the time.  The campus environment was surprising as well.  They all love the Redbirds."

Illinois State also hosted their big verbal commitment in Proviso East guard Paris Lee on his official visit.  Was Lee in Peters ear about pulling the trigger on a commitment?

"Paris is awesome.  Yeah he was recruiting me harder than Coach Muller was at times!  We really got to know each other a lot and really have a strong relationship."

Peters spoke about what stands out about Illinois St in his eyes.

"I like the team atmosphere.  The coaches are always around for you.  They made me feel more at home.  Their team is on the right path."

Next up on Peters agenda is an official visit to Valparaiso this upcoming weekend September 14-16.

valpotx

That doesn't sound like a resounding positive review of his ISU visit, as it seems like he is more complimenting them on the direction they are moving, not necessarily that he wants to be a part of it. 
"Don't mess with Texas"

vufan75

Wonder how the coaches in-home visit with Alec Peters went this week? Also wondering if Alec Peters is on his official visit as planned this weekend. I saw on Twitter that there was a death in his family later in the week. Certainly could understand if his visit was rescheduled.

covufan

Quote from: wh on September 11, 2012, 08:26:27 PMNext up on Peters agenda is an official visit to Valparaiso this upcoming weekend September 14-16.
Is Peters watching a good Valpo football game today?

chef

Rescheduled due to death in family.

wh

@prepbullseye: Per @PeoriaIrish 6'7 2013 WF Alec Peters has rescheduled his official visit to Valparaiso for this coming weekend.

wh

6h Scott Burgess ‏@scott_chihoops
Washington 2013 SF Alec Peters will be at Valparaiso this weekend for his official visit. Big visit for both Valpo and Peters.
Retweeted by Alec Peters

valpopal

Quote from: wh on September 21, 2012, 08:28:15 PM

6h Scott Burgess ‏@scott_chihoops
Washington 2013 SF Alec Peters will be at Valparaiso this weekend for his official visit. Big visit for both Valpo and Peters.
Retweeted by Alec Peters

I understand that 2013 Valpo commits Clay Yeo, Jubril Adekoya, and Lexus Williams will be on campus this weekend as well. (I'm not sure about Nick Davidson, though he is certainly near enough to stop by campus anytime.) It would be nice if Alec Peters decided to join that strong incoming group of players.

wh

Alec Peters
@petersalec
On they way to valpo! Looking forward to a great visit!
4:16pm - 22 Sep 12 

vu72

If we can land Alec, it will be a great coup indeed.  Think about this:  Alec holds offers from over 20 schools including offers from the ACC, the PAC-12, Conference USA, the Big West, the A-10, the Missouri Valley,and the Horizon with plenty of other interest from schools including those in the Big Ten.

Not to put too much value on the decision, but I think it could be the biggest win since Lubos Barton, or perhaps even Bryce Drew.

Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpopal

I know about his other offers, but when you look at the teams Alec Peters is considering as finalists and you think about the priorities he might have, Valpo seems to be the best fit for a number of reasons.

Just ticking them off: The young coaching staff with NBA experience would be a benefit to him, especially Drew and Powell who would be best suited to sharpen Alec's strengths. He will fit right in with the team at his position and in style of play. The current team should do very well and serve as a springboard to gain attention for next year's team when he arrives. He will have excellent teammates from the current team, and a strong incoming class he will be joining in 2013. Valpo offers a premium academic opportunity, which gives added value to the scholarship. The university is close enough to home for family to visit by driving, but it is just far enough for him to feel independent. I understand Alec is religious, and Valpo has a strong religious tradition.

You never know what criteria cause a player to make his choice, but I feel good that Valpo checks off almost all of the boxes.

wh

Quote from: valpopal on September 24, 2012, 09:58:13 AM
I know about his other offers, but when you look at the teams Alec Peters is considering as finalists and you think about the priorities he might have, Valpo seems to be the best fit for a number of reasons.

Just ticking them off: The young coaching staff with NBA experience would be a benefit to him, especially Drew and Powell who would be best suited to sharpen Alec's strengths. He will fit right in with the team at his position and in style of play. The current team should do very well and serve as a springboard to gain attention for next year's team when he arrives. He will have excellent teammates from the current team, and a strong incoming class he will be joining in 2013. Valpo offers a premium academic opportunity, which gives added value to the scholarship. The university is close enough to home for family to visit by driving, but it is just far enough for him to feel independent. I understand Alec is religious, and Valpo has a strong religious tradition.

You never know what criteria cause a player to make his choice, but I feel good that Valpo checks off almost all of the boxes.

Good points all.  He is also quoted as saying he wants to go where he can play right away.  That opportunity should be available, given the volume of minutes that will be played by this year's seniors.

vu72

My understanding is that he wants to study engineering. Valpo's undergrad engineering college is ranked 17th in the nation by US News.  The other candidates don't matchup in this regard.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

covufan

Quote from: vu72 on September 24, 2012, 11:14:48 AM
My understanding is that he wants to study engineering. Valpo's undergrad engineering college is ranked 17th in the nation by US News.  The other candidates don't matchup in this regard.
For the most part I would agree.  I'm not sure people from Rice would agree, as they have an excellent engineering program.  However, if staying close to home is preferred, Valpo could be towards the top of his rather nice list.

humbleopinion

I keep hoping to see someone quote a tweet that says he's ready to wear brown and gold.

What was the name of the player from a few years ago that was close to signing with Valpo and then was recruited away by Tennessee?
Beamin' Beacons

wh

Quote from: humbleopinion on September 24, 2012, 03:50:47 PM
I keep hoping to see someone quote a tweet that says he's ready to wear brown and gold.

What was the name of the player from a few years ago that was close to signing with Valpo and then was recruited away by Tennessee?

Not exactly what you're hoping for, but positive nonetheless:

1h Alec Peters ‏@petersalec
Great coaches and community here at Valpo
1:22 PM - 24 Sep 12 · Details

1h Alec Peters ‏@petersalec
This has been a great weekend!
1:19 PM - 24 Sep 12 · Details