• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Recruiting

Started by Valpo89, December 02, 2011, 09:34:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vu72

Quote from: valpopal on November 19, 2012, 10:08:28 AM
Quote from: vu72 on November 19, 2012, 09:32:13 AM
Why hasn't there been an official release concerning Peters signing?  Makes you want to say Huh??

"Patience, Grasshopper." Peters signed late Friday. In the meantime, there has been a weekend during which the basketball team has been on the road the whole time. Valpo can't say anything until the coaching staff receives the letter of intent in hand, plus Bryce has been a bit busy at Nebraska and Kent State.  ;)

Well, OK, another valium and I'll be fine... ;)
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valporun

Bryce did need to get the LOI in hand first, before he could pass along any information to Aaron and the Sports Info staff, who were all busy with events going on this weekend. Aaron was probably in Nebraska and Ohio, one GA was probably in Indy with the women's basketball team, and the other might have been with volleyball, or one of the other sports.

wh

A short video clip from Alec's NLI signing:

http://centralillinoisproud.com/fulltext?nxd_id=287972

Nice Valpo shirt!!

wh

Andrean beats Roosevelt by 55 in opener

http://www.nwitimes.com/sports/high-school/boys-basketball/andrean-beats-roosevelt-by-in-opener/article_5e71fc55-9934-568b-aeab-a2acb2669357.html

Several action photos of Davidson in the on-line article

Andrean senior guard Nick Davidson had 12 first-quarter points and 16 at the half with Valparaiso University coach Bryce Drew looking on. Davidson signed with the Crusaders on Wednesday.

He said it was about the fifth time that Drew saw him play. Davidson finished with a team-high 18 points with six rebounds and three steals.

valpopal

Peters reportedly had 25 points and 11 rebounds in his first game last night with coach Powell there to watch him.

Smj

Okay - so any of these guys going to start as freshman?

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: Smj on November 22, 2012, 02:08:06 PMOkay - so any of these guys going to start is freshman?

I've tried, but it's impossible to read your line in anything other than an Eastern European accent.

As far as next year (even though it is way too early)...it might be hard when we could field all returning players like so:
1--Dority
2--Coleman
3--Rossi
4--Fernandez or Chadwick
5--Capobianco

But sure, anything is possible, since we are bringing in guys that could play 1-5...
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

Smj

Too funny on the accent.   I read an article somewhere that said this freshman group could have an immediate impact on the program.   Just made me wonder if people were thinking someone would be a starter...   Watched some youtube videos and they definitely look like a good grouping of talent.

vuweathernerd

Quote from: Smj on November 22, 2012, 03:43:00 PM
Too funny on the accent.   I read an article somewhere that said this freshman group could have an immediate impact on the program.   Just made me wonder if people were thinking someone would be a starter...   Watched some youtube videos and they definitely look like a good grouping of talent.

wouldn't surprise me at all to see a couple of next year's freshmen crack the starting lineup. maybe not at the start of the year, but by the end of the year, quite possibly. but they should have an impact from day 1. too bad we aren't eligible for another early season tourney for a couple more years. getting them all gelled together in august would be huge.

wh

Yeo had 25 points in Triton's opening game last night.

LaPorteAveApostle

yeah--everyone knows the "emphasis" is on this year, and we will do some great things, but next year, we will be just as deep:

1--Dority / Lexus Williams
2--Coleman / Nick Davidson
3--Rossi / Clay Yeo
4--Fernandez / Alec Peters
5--Capobianco / Jubril Adekoya

To say nothing of Chadwick, who could play 3 & 4 (and others above could double as well, but just to point out we could easily go 9 deep next year too!
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

HC

You are correct, but next year every back up you listed will be a freshman. A very talented freshman, but still a freshman.

valpopal

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on November 22, 2012, 09:13:34 PM
yeah--everyone knows the "emphasis" is on this year, and we will do some great things, but next year, we will be just as deep:

1--Dority / Lexus Williams
2--Coleman / Nick Davidson
3--Rossi / Clay Yeo
4--Fernandez / Alec Peters
5--Capobianco / Jubril Adekoya

To say nothing of Chadwick, who could play 3 & 4 (and others above could double as well, but just to point out we could easily go 9 deep next year too!

Pretty good depth chart, but I'd make a few adjustments. I'd prefer Fernandez/Chadwick at the 5, Capobianco/Adekoya at the 4. Also, I think Peters would be great at the 3, possibly as the starter, and I believe Rossi is better as backup to Coleman at the 2 position. Obviously, much of this will be determined by the results we see throughout the season by our present players, and there are still two important roster spots that might go to impact transfers.

LaPorteAveApostle

That is true, Pal, but I don't think Chadwick's game is well-suited for the 5.  Although, what do we know?  We haven't seen him suit up yet, and won't for months :/

Point being that we won't rebuild next year.

WE RELOADIN'

Smj

valpopal

Quote from: vu72 on November 19, 2012, 10:39:28 AM
Quote from: valpopal on November 19, 2012, 10:08:28 AM
Quote from: vu72 on November 19, 2012, 09:32:13 AM
Why hasn't there been an official release concerning Peters signing?  Makes you want to say Huh??

"Patience, Grasshopper." Peters signed late Friday. In the meantime, there has been a weekend during which the basketball team has been on the road the whole time. Valpo can't say anything until the coaching staff receives the letter of intent in hand, plus Bryce has been a bit busy at Nebraska and Kent State.  ;)

Well, OK, another valium and I'll be fine... ;)

The official announcement about Peters is now on the Valpo Athletics web site:

. . . Peters, a 6'7" forward, averaged nearly 18 points per game last season as a junior for Washington, while also grabbing better than six rebounds per contest.  Peters helped lead Washington to 26 victories and a berth in the 3A Peoria Sectional title game last season.  A career 43% 3-point shooter, Peters has already made 121 career triples and also shot 87% from the free throw line in 2011-2012.

"We're very excited to be able to welcome Alec as part of the Valpo family," said Drew.  "Alec fits our program perfectly – he is an extremely skilled player, one of the best shooters in the state of Illinois and is a tremendous student as well."

http://valpoathletics.com/mbasketball/news/2012-13/12204/valpo-mens-basketball-signs-peters-to-round-out-recruiting-class/

valpopal

On the night of Valpo's official announcement that Alec Peters had signed his letter of intent, Alec scores 40 points!

bbtds

Quote from: valpopal on November 23, 2012, 11:21:53 PM
On the night of Valpo's official announcement that Alec Peters had signed his letter of intent, Alec scores 40 points!

http://www.highschoolcube.com/event/washington-vs-peoria-notre-dame-2012-state-farm-to-302196
(Washington is tghe "visitor" on the scoreboard due to the tournament despite the game being played at Washington, IL HS)

They do mention quite a bit that Alec is going to Valpo. Some really nice publicity to the Chicago and downstate Illinois communities about the kind of talent Valpo is attracting.

wh

Davidson has monster game:

Andrean boys finish strong in 3A grudge match
Steve Hanlon steve.hanlon@nwi.com
Andrean 78, Lew Wallace 65

Nick Davidson scored 26 points to lead the 59ers.

MERRILLVILLE | Inside a minute to play Tuesday night, Andrean coach Carson Cunningham and Lew Wallace coach Melvin Yancey were at midcourt jawing at each other.

The "discussion" lasted long enough for the officials to come over and end it.

Things like this happen when the No. 3 team in the state, Andrean, and the Class 3A No. 11 Hornets, get together for a little hoop throw down.

It was the game regionites wanted to see last March in the regional. It never happened as the Hornets lost in the semifinal.

But there was an edge to this game, won by Times No. 2 Andrean 78-65.

"They came into our house and disrespected us," Andrean senior D.J. Gonzalez said. "They played dirty. We felt like we were disrespected, so we responded."

Gonzalez spoke of teammate Ben Davidson, who left to get stitches after a shot to the face in the first half. It was Gonzalez, though, who had two huge steals in the fourth quarter that he took the other way and converted to keep the Hornets (1-1) at arm's length away.

The game was tied at 39 with two minutes left in the third quarter. Twice Wallace had the ball with a chance to take a lead but couldn't make it happen. The Hornets had 23 turnovers on the night.

The 59ers (2-0) had 20 assists, with Valparaiso University signee Nick Davidson leading the way. He had 26 points, nine rebounds, seven assists and six steals.

"Nick had a monster game," Cunningham said. "That's why I keep saying this. He is the most efficient and productive guard in the state."

Cunningham also praised Skyler Moss, who scored 19 points and had seven rebounds and kept the Hornets' big men in foul trouble.

It was a one-point game when Montrell Humphrey left with his fourth foul in the third quarter. When he returned, the lead had jumped out to eight for the hosts.

"That gave them a bounce," Yancey said.

The 59ers were 22-of-28 from the line and were in the double bonus with 10 seconds left in the third quarter. The Hornets were 10-of-15.

"We have to learn to play four quarters of good basketball," Yancey said. "Our half-court defense was suspect. We have a lot of room to grow and I believe we will. Andrean is a good ball club.

"We have to cut down on our turnovers and do a better job ballhandling. And we will."

Charles Cooper led Wallace with 19 points. Keante Bridges added 17.

covufan

With the mentioning of the Andrean coach, it got me thinking that over the last 8 seasons or so at DePaul (Men's Basketball), has the best coach on campus been in the History Department?  I always thought he was a coach on the floor in his time at Purdue.

wh

59ers (2-0) had 20 assists, with Valparaiso University signee Nick Davidson leading the way. He had 26 points, nine rebounds, seven assists and six steals.

"Nick had a monster game," Cunningham said. "That's why I keep saying this. He is the most efficient and productive guard in the state."

Collectively, these are crazy numbers for a 32-minute game - 1 rebound short of a D/D, and flirting with a T/D.  If he continues to put up numbers like this, he's a shoo-in for the IN All-Star team (despite the anti-Region bias).

vuweathernerd

any chance we might be able to go after that forward also mentioned in the article? we could use a little more interior depth in the coming years.

lowposter

Skylar Moss is a load.  Unfortunately he is about 6'4".  At 235 pounds he punishes people in the post.  He has an assortment of lowpost moves that collects fouls from the opposition.  He doesnt play taller that 6'4" as he is not a leaper, but has outstanding footwork and strength.  Think of a non leaping Charles Barkley or Adrian Dantley.

Because of his height he will probably end up NAIA.  He will play in college, it is a matter of finding the right fit for him.

lowposter

HC

Did I see a MattCarter tweet that Adekoya went for 33 and 19 tonight?! The kid was on twitter apologizing for letting the fans down since they lost. What a team first attitude, expect nothing less of a Valpo recruit.

valpopal

Quote from: HC on November 30, 2012, 09:49:22 PM
Did I see a MattCarter tweet that Adekoya went for 33 and 19 tonight?! The kid was on twitter apologizing for letting the fans down since they lost. What a team first attitude, expect nothing less of a Valpo recruit.

Here is what I saw:

Andrew Basketball ‏@tboltbasketball

Bolts fall 59-53 to Thornton Adekoya-33 (17-19 FT school record) 21 boards school record Great crowd/rally