• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Recruiting

Started by Valpo89, December 02, 2011, 09:34:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wh

Quote from: milanmiracle on December 06, 2012, 11:52:19 AM
Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on December 05, 2012, 08:01:13 PM
We're going to need another ball.

I'm not going to name names, but some of these new recruits will not be scoring anywhere close to what they did in HS.

Then again, Loyola Marymount averaged 122 points a game for an entire season in 1990.   ;)

Still amazes me to think about it...

Valpo89

Quote from: IndyValpo on December 06, 2012, 02:43:56 PM
Quote from: chef on December 06, 2012, 01:26:29 PM
I don't remember Valpo every having a player that averaged anywhere close to what they did in H.S. Tracy Gipson and Casey Schmidt were probably the closest. If my memory is correct Bryce averaged 25 a game in his Sr. year at VHS, but never more than 19 a game at VU.
Perhaps Chris Ensminger.
Chris Ensminger? He didn't even play varsity basketball until his senior year in high school. He was recruited based on his summer performance. I seem to recall maybe 14 points per game as a high school senior? Chris was a big gamble that paid off. But if you know anyone who saw one of his first college games, in a tournament at Baylor, ask about the significance of the name Andre Branch. Bonus points to anyone who can say what Andre Branch did to Chris Ensminger.

milanmiracle

Quote from: wh on December 06, 2012, 04:22:41 PM

I'm not going to name names, but some of these new recruits will not be scoring anywhere close to what they did in HS.

Then again, Loyola Marymount averaged 122 points a game for an entire season in 1990.   ;)

By far one of my top 5 favorite teams of all time! If Hank would have lived, they'd have won the whole thing. They had shooters, defenders, athletes and two pure scorers in Kimbal the Gathers. They were still a great team after Hank died, but they were special with him.

If anybody wants to see great defense, go watch UNLV from the same timeframe.
"Tragedy is losing 86-7 and then having ESPN calling the press box and asking if the score is actually correct." - pgmado

StlVUFan

Quote from: milanmiracle on December 06, 2012, 06:31:45 PM
Quote from: wh on December 06, 2012, 04:22:41 PM

By far one of my top 5 favorite teams of all time! If Hank would have lived, they'd have won the whole thing. They had shooters, defenders, athletes and two pure scorers in Kimbal the Gathers. They were still a great team after Hank died, but they were special with him.

If anybody wants to see great defense, go watch UNLV from the same timeframe.
Not only that, but UNLV beat them at their own game, if I recall correctly.

LaPorteAveApostle

GOOGLEWHACK!

Searching for "andre branch" "chris ensminger" gets you that rara avis, the GOOGLEWHACK!

...which however is not helpful for answering the above question, unfortunately.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

wh

I know we have a few posters that follow NWI HS hoops.  Does anyone know anything about Zack VanHook from Lowell?  Is he someone we might want to consider?

http://www.nwitimes.com/sports/high-school/boys-basketball/lowell-s-zack-vanhook-stepping-into-some-big-shoes/article_d6a17590-8fa5-5e28-bd8e-c88fd85f3258.html

LaPorteAveApostle

QuoteVanHook has heard from Cornell, Stetson, Alabama-Huntsville and Texas A&M-Corpus Christi.

Eh...pass.  The next Scott Blum?
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

valpopal

Reports on Friday's games:

Alec Peters scored 22 points in just about 10 minutes of play in the first half (7-7 from the field), sat most of the second half in foul trouble (46 fouls were called in the game), and wound up with 26 points as his team won easily, 58-32.

Jubril Adekoya had 19 points, including a couple of power dunks, and 16 rebounds in his team's victory over the previously unbeaten Stagg, 66-56.

Lexus Williams of Marist scored 7 points and had 9 rebounds in a loss to an elite Notre Dame team, 65-51. Apparently, Marist's leading inside player is out for the season with an injury, which means Williams needs to do more rebounding. According to his coach: "Rebounding is an issue for us, and it's not going away. It is going to have to be everybody's job. Size is an issue for us."

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: valpopal on December 08, 2012, 12:23:22 AMAccording to his coach: "Rebounding is an issue for us, and it's not going away. It is going to have to be everybody's job. Size is an issue for us."

Sounds like he wants an LX:

but our Lexus is more of an IS C:

OH YEAH FOLKS GET READY FOR THE NEXT FIVE YEARS OF THIS

Valpo89

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on December 06, 2012, 08:11:30 PM
GOOGLEWHACK!

Searching for "andre branch" "chris ensminger" gets you that rara avis, the GOOGLEWHACK!

...which however is not helpful for answering the above question, unfortunately.
Thanks for the effort, LaPorte.
Andre Branch jumped OVER Chris Ensminger for a dunk. Chris was probably midway between the free throw line and the hoop. I believe it was the first game of Ensminger's career, when he was all legs and NO upper body at all. I'm pretty sure VU played Centenary in the second game the next day at the Dr. Pepper Classic, and won. The stories I wrote back then (1993?) are not archived online anywhere, because there was no such thing as "online" back then.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: Valpo89 on December 08, 2012, 01:58:26 PMThe stories I wrote back then (1993?)

Pjank, is that you?

I think a few years later you would blame my rock band for a Vikings loss to KV, speaking of things that aren't on the interwebs but should be :)

HC

We have some real solid guys coming in. Nice to not have to rebuild.

Smj

So... I watched some of these recruits playing and what I liked the most is something that they probably will stop doing in college ball.   Mid-range jumpers, and some of them look good at them.   (it is a lost art at the college level - I think players are told to step back and take the three - i say, step forward a bunch and increase your odds.)

i think we have a great few years ahead of us - Starting in a few days when conference games start...

valpopal

Last night, Alec Peters' Washington team played a good opponent that apparently tried a slow-down approach, but Washington won 33-20. Interestingly, Peters was matched against a highly-regarded Northwestern recruit, Nathan Taphorn, and despite the slowdown Peters scored a double-double (13 points on 6-10 from the field and 10 rebounds). Defensively, Taphorn was kept to 0-8 on field goal attempts and held scoreless for the first time in his three years as a varsity player. Perhaps this is an indication Peters can play some defense as well!

Smj

Quote from: valpopal on December 09, 2012, 05:39:26 PM
Last night, Alec Peters' Washington team played a good opponent that apparently tried a slow-down approach, but Washington won 33-20. Interestingly, Peters was matched against a highly-regarded Northwestern recruit, Nathan Taphorn, and despite the slowdown Peters scored a double-double (13 points on 6-10 from the field and 10 rebounds). Defensively, Taphorn was kept to 0-8 on field goal attempts and held scoreless for the first time in his three years as a varsity player. Perhaps this is an indication Peters can play some defense as well!

This game on hscube?

lowposter

I have seen Taphorn...he can flat out shoot.  Those low scoring games are not much fun.

BTW, Andrean keeps rolling.  There are game highlights on You Tube.  Nick Davidson had another great game.  The Merrillville team is explosively talented, not much size, but the jets go from 0 to 60 in blink of the eye. 

lowposter

milanmiracle

Quote from: lowposter on December 11, 2012, 11:10:58 AM
I have seen Taphorn...he can flat out shoot.  Those low scoring games are not much fun.

BTW, Andrean keeps rolling.  There are game highlights on You Tube.  Nick Davidson had another great game.  The Merrillville team is explosively talented, not much size, but the jets go from 0 to 60 in blink of the eye. 

lowposter

Any highlights of the Merrillville vs. Andrean game anywhere? The highlights I have seen of Nick Davidson weren't all that great (meaning the highlights) but he seemed fine. The YouTube video I saw was mostly of him shooting free throws. I need to see more against better competition
"Tragedy is losing 86-7 and then having ESPN calling the press box and asking if the score is actually correct." - pgmado

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: milanmiracle on December 11, 2012, 02:56:35 PMI need to see more against better competition

May I suggest something in a November 2013, monsieur?

milanmiracle

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on December 11, 2012, 03:27:58 PM
Quote from: milanmiracle on December 11, 2012, 02:56:35 PMI need to see more against better competition

May I suggest something in a November 2013, monsieur?

Very nice...got me to chuckle.

Hopefully I can see more of him before then, either that or I'll have to check out an Andrean game.

wh

You Tube highlight video from the Andrean's O.T. win over Merrillville.  Nick scored 26 of his 28 points in the 2nd half and O.T. 

Nick is No. 15 in red.  Not much to see until the 8:20 mark of the video,  where it says "Nick Davidson steps up in crunch time."  From that point to the end is where he did all his damage, including scoring the winning basket on a put back of a missed free throw.

Region Sportsdesk- Merrillville vs Andrean (BBall 2012)

wh

Triton dominates second half
Posted: 12/12/2012 at 1:15 am

WATERFORD MILLS — Leading perennial state power Triton by three at halftime, the Bethany Christian Bruins were thinking upset.

But led by All-State candidate Clay Yeo, the Trojans outscored Bethany 49-10 in the second half and cruised to a 72-36 victory.

The Valparaso University-bound Yeo scored 37 points to lead the Triton turnaround, while teammate Tanner Shepherd added 17.

The Bruins, who host their own Holiday Tournament on Saturday, were led by Caleb Morris' 15 points.

wh

No. 1 Andrean 73, Wheeler 53
Nick Davidson led the way with a game-high 24 points.

Andrean led 40-23 at halftime, with much of the damage coming from the early favorite for Player of the Year, Nick Davidson. The Valparaiso University signee had 17 points at the break. Like much of this luke-warm winter Davidson was unstoppable.

http://www.nwitimes.com/sports/high-school/boys-basketball/toporski-keeps-times-no-andrean-on-top/article_c84a017e-1104-5a66-afbf-77079675c42f.html

Nick is averaging 25.2 ppg after 5 games (according to my unofficial calculations).

Clay is averaging 34 ppg after 4 games.

LaPorteAveApostle

Nice to see Kevin Barnes of Wheeler doing well...I coached the grade school girls when he was on the grade school boys.  He was good even then.