• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Recruiting

Started by Valpo89, December 02, 2011, 09:34:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smj

First Bryce gets a transfer from ole miss (bogan)....   Now he gets a player with the same name as a player that was playing for ole miss back in 1998...   

1998 tournament:
"When play resumed Sesay missed his second free throw, and after a battle for the loose ball Valparaiso was awarded possession after Ole Miss guard Keith Carter knocked the ball out of bounds. This left Valpo with 2.5 seconds to get off a shot, and forced inbounder Jaime Sykes to put the ball in play from the far end of the court."

Just watched some scouting videos and this kid is athletic....   This should be a fun rebuilding period.....

valpopal

Wednesday (1/16) is the last date to register late for spring semester. Look for a Mr. Carter around campus today.

HC

I think it is great that this coaching staff can keep going into Illinois and grab up the state's top talent.

LaPorteAveApostle

I can see how y'all might get them mixed up.  But hey, if ours turns out like theirs, I'm ok with that.

"The 1999 Associated Press All-America honorable mention team member also left his name firmly placed in the Ole Miss record books. Carter finished his career strong in 1998-99, scoring 542 points and hitting 77 three-point field goals, still the fifth-highest season total in Rebel history. His 1,682 career points ranks sixth all-time, and his 249 three-pointers set a school record at the time and still ranks second in the Rebel records. His success on the court also garnered him All-SEC first team honors and a nomination for the Naismith Player of the Year award in 1999."
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: Smj on January 15, 2013, 11:13:21 PMinbounder Jaime Sykes

well i guess that explains the prowess with the baseball throw.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

StlVUFan

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on January 16, 2013, 08:21:40 AM

I can see how y'all might get them mixed up.  But hey, if ours turns out like theirs, I'm ok with that.

"The 1999 Associated Press All-America honorable mention team member also left his name firmly placed in the Ole Miss record books. Carter finished his career strong in 1998-99, scoring 542 points and hitting 77 three-point field goals, still the fifth-highest season total in Rebel history. His 1,682 career points ranks sixth all-time, and his 249 three-pointers set a school record at the time and still ranks second in the Rebel records. His success on the court also garnered him All-SEC first team honors and a nomination for the Naismith Player of the Year award in 1999."

Carter was the Ole Miss star of the game, as I recall.  I know for sure he was the Chevy MVP for Ole Miss.  But I thought as well he was their best player in that game.

LaPorteAveApostle

You know who else is similar to Keith Carter (the Woody Harrelson one, not the Wesley Snipes)?

Season high 3pters:  KC 77, Lubos 74
Career 3pters: KC 249, Lubos 244
Career points: KC 1682, Lubos 1675

weird...

valpotx

Holy crap, awesome news.  I didn't think we had a chance, but apparently we have some great recruiters!  I would have to think that Bryce will stay long enough to see how this class develops in a few years, and since he has shown he can get these types at Valpo, maybe keep him around a la Brad Stevens  :)
"Don't mess with Texas"

covufan

Quote from: valpotx on January 16, 2013, 02:31:25 PM
Holy crap, awesome news.  I didn't think we had a chance, but apparently we have some great recruiters!  I would have to think that Bryce will stay long enough to see how this class develops in a few years, and since he has shown he can get these types at Valpo, maybe keep him around a la Brad Stevens  :)
And if we can't keep him, I hope his career is more like Collier or Matta - leave for several mediocre years and return as AD, or some good success with a chance for a national championship. 

SanityLost17

I would almost guarantee that one of the incoming freshman next year will redshirt and we will bring in a transfer who will sit out next season and be a junior for the 2014-15 season.  This will make our class distribution much more balanced and give one of the freshman, who might fall short on playing time, an extra year to develop. 

LaPorteAveApostle

I was just thinking that.  Because it's Carter, my money's on Lexus Williams; last year I might have said Davidson, but no more...

GOOD PROBLEMS TO HAVE...no longer is our thirteenth man the other (unwanted) half of twins but now a three-star :)

talksalot

Cliche Warning:   We're not rebuilding... we're reloading!  (can't say I didn't warn you)

HC

Davidson only had 14 and 8 tonight in a loss to Chesterton. I was told Coach Drew was seen at the Chesterton game last week, watching Holba. Not sure how reliable that is, but I can't imagine there is a lot of interest.

Valpo89

I was at the Chesterton-Munster game.
Bryce was definitely in attendance, sitting behind a basket.
He is interested in Holba, for sure. There was even a "scout" from Baylor there. :)

vu72

Quote from: Valpo89 on January 17, 2013, 01:58:29 PM
I was at the Chesterton-Munster game.
Bryce was definitely in attendance, sitting behind a basket.
He is interested in Holba, for sure. There was even a "scout" from Baylor there. :)

Pray tell, who is "Holba"???
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

Valpo89

Matt Holba, a 6-7 or 6-8 sophomore from Chesterton. He's very athletic, has to pretty much play inside right now but has the green light to shoot the three.
He's a guy who "always has his motor running," according to one coach I talked to earlier in the season.
Another told me he thinks he has a better upside than Rob Hummel. He is stronger as a sophomore than Hummel was as a HS sophomore.
It has been written, I believe, that Valpo has already offered. But it is expected the bigger schools will start offering soon. And this won't be a Zach Novak situation where they would pull an offer due to a weight gain or something like that. Holba doesn't have the frame.

wh

Quote from: Valpo89 on January 17, 2013, 03:47:16 PM
Matt Holba, a 6-7 or 6-8 sophomore from Chesterton. He's very athletic, has to pretty much play inside right now but has the green light to shoot the three.
He's a guy who "always has his motor running," according to one coach I talked to earlier in the season.
Another told me he thinks he has a better upside than Rob Hummel. He is stronger as a sophomore than Hummel was as a HS sophomore.
It has been written, I believe, that Valpo has already offered. But it is expected the bigger schools will start offering soon. And this won't be a Zach Novak situation where they would pull an offer due to a weight gain or something like that. Holba doesn't have the frame.

If I didn't know better, I would swear you're a sports reporter or something.  ;)  You offered up great insight from unnamed sources in the know, but kept your personal opinions to yourself.  Well done!  That said, what do you think about this kid? 

HC

I could certainly be wrong about the interest in Holba, I did think he was older then a Soph.  He had a nice game stat wise against Andrean the other night. 

lowposter

Holba is a very good basketball player who will only improve.  More upside than Robbie Hummel?  Not sure about that, time will tell.  He must develop more face the basket skills and ballhandling plus defense to be considered with Robbie.  He has time to do so.

He is very athletic and will be heavily recruited not only for basketball but also football, as a wide receiver.  I had him for 16pt/14r and 5 blocks last night against Andrean and was clearly the best player on the court IMHO.

And remember...only a sophomore.
lowposter

historyman

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on January 16, 2013, 08:20:02 PMGOOD PROBLEMS TO HAVE...no longer is our thirteenth man the other (unwanted) half of twins but now a three-star
Not a great idea to criticize Mike Oppland when he is known to read this board sometimes. :-[
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

valpotx

Quote from: historyman on January 17, 2013, 11:32:42 PM
Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on January 16, 2013, 08:20:02 PMGOOD PROBLEMS TO HAVE...no longer is our thirteenth man the other (unwanted) half of twins but now a three-star
Not a great idea to criticize Mike Oppland when he is known to read this board sometimes. :-[

I liked the Oppland twins, and both have been playing in Europe since college.  Glad to see that he turned around his career at Cal College, and has been able to play professionally
"Don't mess with Texas"

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: historyman on January 17, 2013, 11:32:42 PMNot a great idea to criticize Mike Oppland when he is known to read this board sometimes.

LOL that wasn't who I was referring to, actually.  I was thinking of ... well, maybe I shouldn't say.  Let's just say if you can remember Homer's early days you'll remember.

No, it's not the Jenkinses either.  Sheesh.

HINT:  Think "...goes to washington."

Valpo89

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on January 18, 2013, 08:50:54 AM
Quote from: historyman on January 17, 2013, 11:32:42 PMNot a great idea to criticize Mike Oppland when he is known to read this board sometimes.

LOL that wasn't who I was referring to, actually.  I was thinking of ... well, maybe I shouldn't say.  Let's just say if you can remember Homer's early days you'll remember.

No, it's not the Jenkinses either.  Sheesh.

HINT:  Think "...goes to washington."

It's always great to have a Smith brothers reference on the board. Well done.