• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Recruiting

Started by Valpo89, December 02, 2011, 09:34:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbtds

http://www.pjstar.com/sports/preps/x1037507785/Washington-boys-remain-perfect-in-Mid-Illini-with-63-32-victory-over-Morton

Washington boys remain perfect in Mid-Illini with 63-32 victory over Morton

By JOHNNY CAMPOS
of the Journal Star
Posted Feb 08, 2013 @ 11:22 PM

MORTON —
By the time the Morton boys basketball team got into scoring mode Friday night, Washington was off and running.

The visiting Panthers scored the first 18 points of the Mid-Illini Conference game and cruised to a 63-32 win in the Potterdome.

Senior Alec Peters led Washington (23-1, 11-0) with 24 points and eight rebounds.

With the win, Washington remained perfect in the conference, 21/2 games ahead of idle Metamora with three games left.

"I don't know that we've really talked about being undefeated in the conference," Panthers coach Kevin Brown said. "But we're trying to put ourselves in a position to be able to take care of our own business and win the conference."

Peters scored 10 points in the first period, including a layup on a feed from Cade Jackson that put Washington ahead 18-0 with 1:26 left in the quarter.

Jackson also had a hand in helping the Panthers jump out to the early lead, with three steals in the first period.

"Cade Jackson really disrupted them with his defense," Brown said.

"And Troy Adams was flying to the boards, and we've got to have that out of him."

Peters had 17 of his points by intermission, helping the Panthers take a 32-12 lead at the break.

"The only positive out of this game is that we responded," Morton coach Jarrett Brown said. "It seems like we're doing that a lot — responding.

"Once we settled in at the two-minute mark of the first quarter, and then on to halftime, I thought we fought for things. But we can't be responsive, and we've got to be a little more attack-minded."

A layup by Dominic Carrol on a  Grant Johnson assist gave Washington its biggest lead at 51-20 with less than a minute left in the third period.

Brent Waibel led Morton (3-19, 1-10) with eight points.

Johnny Campos can be reached at 686-3214 or at jcampos@pjstar.com. Follow him on Twitter at@johnnycampos59.

wh

Clay Yeo had 31 points last night in a win over Rochester.  I wonder how many games he has scored 30 or more?  Has to be several.

zvillehaze

Quote from: wh on February 13, 2013, 09:55:08 PM
Clay Yeo had 31 points last night in a win over Rochester.  I wonder how many games he has scored 30 or more?  Has to be several.

Six. 

http://www.amoraconsulting.net/clients/etpearl/playerlog.php?id=5175

valpotx

Very excited for our new class next year.  It will be nice to have some youth that will hopefully play all 4 years at Valpo.  I love the transfers we have gotten, but it is fun watching a young player grow over his full college career.
"Don't mess with Texas"

bbtds

Washington is currently #3 in the AP Illinois 3A boys basketball poll:

http://seasonpass.suntimes.com/news_article/show/225988?refferal=rss&referrer_id=599124

Metamora, Washington's fellow conference member in the Mid-Illini Conference, is tied for 12th in the 3A poll.
Washington is the only school with one loss in the 3A top 10.

Class 3A
School                             W-L Pts Prv
1. Morgan Park (12)         25-2 120   1
2. Orr                                23-2  92    2
3. Washington, Ill.             24-1  91    3
4. East St. Louis               16-6   68   5
5. Cahokia                         24-3  66   4
6. North Chicago               23-2   64  6
7. Lincoln                           23-4   48  8
8. Peoria Manual               16-6  29  9
9. Hillcrest                          17-6 18 10
(tie) Springfield Southeast  19-5 18 NR

Others receiving votes: Peoria Notre Dame 12, Quincy Notre Dame 10, Metamora 10, Champaign Centennial 7, Normal U-High 3, Limestone 2, Hampshire 1, North Lawndale 1.

wh

Washington goes to 25-1; Alec Peters 21 pts/15 boards

http://www.pjstar.com/sports/preps/x1037512177/Washington-boys-put-Mid-Illini-title-under-wraps

Clay Yeo had 27 pts/8 boards/5 assists in Triton's win over No.9 Tippecanoe Valley (3A)

bbtds

http://www.thepilotnews.com/content/trojans-play-complete-game-senior-night-win-over-tippy-valley

Trojans play complete game in Senior Night win over Tippy Valley

The game was back and forth for most of the first quarter, with both teams trying to figure each other out. Neither team was able to mount any kind of run and Valley would hold a one-point lead at the end of one, 13-12.

The second quarter saw the Vikings get out to a 9-2 run in the first three minutes, which prompted Triton coach Jason Groves to call a quick time out to stop the momentum. Down 22-14, the Trojans came out firing after the time out, with sophomore Skyler Reichert nailing a 3 followed by a steal by Clay Yeo, who took it the length of the court for a dunk.

• TRITON 65,
TIPPECANOE VALLEY 59
At Bourbon
Score by Quarters
Triton: 12 32 51 65
Tippy Valley: 13 27 40 59
TRITON (65): Clay Yeo 27, Tanner Shepherd 21, Seth Glingle 10, Skyler Reichert 3, Joey Corder 2, Cody Shively 2, Darren Harrell 0, Bryson Mosier 0, Trenton Cooper 0, Drew Mosson 0; Totals: 28 7-12 65
TIPPY VALLEY (59): Tanner Andrews 15, Alex Thacker 14, Ben Shriver 11, Nick Kindig 9, Jacob Ritchey 7, Chainey Zolman 3, Jarred Littlejohn 0; Totals: 22 12-16 59
3-pointers: Triton 2 (Yeo, Reichert), Tippy Valley 3 (Thacker, Ritchey, Kindig); Rebounds: Triton 30 (Yeo 8, Shepherd 6, Glingle 5, Corder 4), Tippy Valley 20 (Kindig 5, Shriver 4, Thacker 3, Andrews 3); Assists: Triton 12 (Yeo 5, Shively 3), Tippy Valley 9 (Kindig 4, Andrews 2, Ritchey 2); Steals: Triton 4 (Yeo 2, Shepherd, Glingle), Tippy Valley 7 (Andrews 4, Ritchey, Kindig, Shriver); Turnovers: Triton 11, Tippy Valley 9; Fouls (fouled out): Triton 16 (none), Tippy Valley 14 (none).
Records: Triton 14-5 Tippy Valley 16-3

FWalum

Saw this picture on Alec Peters' twitter posted yesterday.  Thought it was pretty cool. Me and my future teammate Jubril Adekoya
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

vu72

Quote from: FWalum on February 25, 2013, 11:19:38 AM
Saw this picture on Alec Peters' twitter posted yesterday.  Thought it was pretty cool. Me and my future teammate Jubril Adekoya

Looks like it was taken at the ARC
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: vu72 on February 25, 2013, 12:07:19 PMLooks like it was taken at the ARC

72 has the first post in the Hall of Fame. 

This will not be joining it there ;)
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

historyman

Quote from: FWalum on February 25, 2013, 11:19:38 AMSaw this picture on Alec Peters' twitter posted yesterday.  Thought it was pretty cool. Me and my future teammate Jubril Adekoya
I guess he'll learn to say "My future teammate and I" when he gets to Valpo. :)
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

sliman

They were at Saturday's game.

atkins

Quote from: bbtds on February 10, 2013, 12:02:37 PMfollowed by a steal by Clay Yeo, who took it the length of the court for a dunk.

It's good to see that at least one of our incoming freshmen can dunk the ball.  That is something I wonder about on the present team.  Too many unnecessarily acrobatic dribble-then-shoot-layup moves when a strong dunk would be an obvious move.  Going up strong is something this team does not do particularly well (aside from Buggs, ironically).   

FWalum

I agree somewhat, but found Rowdy's one handed rebound tip dunk and Kevin's dunk (perhaps the most emphatic dunk we have seen in a while) to be quite strong tonight. Was really nice to see them do this in almost uncharacteristic fashion.

Coleman is quite athletic and can put the ball down easily, I just hope he gets a little stronger in the off season.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

agibson

Quote from: FWalum on February 26, 2013, 11:18:14 PMKevin's dunk (perhaps the most emphatic dunk we have seen in a while) to be quite strong tonight

Yeah, that play was unusual in a number of respects!  Kevin dribbling more than six feet.  Kevin dunking.  Kevin with a pretty emphatic celebration after the basket.

Maybe he needs a running start to be comfortable dunking?

historyman

Quote from: agibson on February 26, 2013, 11:28:12 PM
Quote from: FWalum on February 26, 2013, 11:18:14 PMKevin's dunk (perhaps the most emphatic dunk we have seen in a while) to be quite strong tonight
Yeah, that play was unusual in a number of respects!  Kevin dribbling more than six feet.  Kevin dunking.  Kevin with a pretty emphatic celebration after the basket. Maybe he needs a running start to be comfortable dunking?

It seemed both Kevin and Rowdy put emphatic exclamations on their dunks (how often do Kevin or Rowdy actually dunk?) in an effort to claim the momentum for the game. It was really great to see because you could really see how badly these seniors wanted this HL title won at the ARC. Maybe Bryce has started to loosen the strings on these seniors in the final games of their college careers.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

zvillehaze

Clay Yeo with 22 last night in win over Knox.  Triton faces host Culver Community on Friday ... Culver won 46-42 at Triton in January.

atkins

Quote from: FWalum on February 26, 2013, 11:18:14 PMI agree somewhat, but found Rowdy's one handed rebound tip dunk and Kevin's dunk (perhaps the most emphatic dunk we have seen in a while) to be quite strong tonight. Was really nice to see them do this in almost uncharacteristic fashion.

I thought the exact same thing and was happy to see both of those moves.  Let's hope it's a sign of things to come!

LaPorteAveApostle

FEBRUARY MADNESS

Yesterday: Nick Davidson and Andrean advance to sectional semifinal with amazing defense in 48-23 win over the host KV Kougars:  http://www.nwitimes.com/sports/high-school/boys-basketball/andrean-calumet-boys-advance-at-k-v/article_b2dd6945-521c-5246-a285-ba0e22e15a9b.html

Quote"We started getting some turnovers and getting some layups and that kind of got into our offense, especially down low," guard Nick Davidson said. "We either scored or we got guys cutting to the basket for easy layups."

Davidson finished with a game-high 15 points and dished out four assists.

"Davidson made some fabulous passes because they were bringing so much attention to him, and our guys cut well," Cunningham said.

..."We're not looking anything past the sectionals," Davidson said. "We're just taking it one game at a time, and we got Rensselaer on Friday."
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

LaPorteAveApostle

FEBRUARY MADNESS: 
ON THE WRONG SIDE OF THE BORDER EDITION

Yesterday:  Alec Peters and the 28-1 Washington Panthers beat Morton 61-32. 

Next:4A Regional title is Friday vs. Limestone.  That should rock.  badumpCHING.gif

http://www.pjstar.com/sports/preps/x1522329992/Limestone-Washington-boys-to-face-off-for-Class-3A-regional-title

QuoteTroy Adams added 13 points for Washington, while Alec Peters, was being shut down by Morton.
Peters went just 3-for-6 from the floor and scored a season-low eight points, but finished with 13 boards.
"He's a Division I player that didn't quit," Brown said. "He had to find satisfaction with his teammates scoring.
"He went out and rebounded. The key was that the other guys scored because he never quit moving."
Lexus Williams and the 18-10 Marist Redhawks advanced to a 4A Regional final as well with a victory over Hyde Park.  Williams had 19 points and 7 assists.
http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2013-02-26/sports/ct-spt-0227-prep-bkb-marist-hyde-park-20130226_1_marist-coach-gene-nolan-lexus-williams-hyde-park

Next: Friday's reward is a second game in a week span against Jabari Parker & Simeon, who beat them by 26 in the prequel.  Oh well.  At least Lexus played well there:
http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2013-02-23/sports/ct-spt-0224-prep-bkb-simeon-marist-20130223_1_kendrick-nunn-jabari-parker-simeon-coach-robert-smith
QuoteValparaiso-bound guard Lexus Williams was the only player able to make a dent in Simeon's defense in the first half, totaling 11 of his 16 points as Simeon took a 30-16 halftime lead. - See more at: http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2013-02-23/sports/ct-spt-0224-prep-bkb-simeon-marist-20130223_1_kendrick-nunn-jabari-parker-simeon-coach-robert-smith#sthash.VsxtT0Ls.dpuf
Tonight:  Jubril Adekoya and 14-11 Andrew vs. Stagg in IHSA 4A Regional semifinal.

LaPorteAveApostle

MARCH MADNESS™: 
ON THE WRONG SIDE OF THE CIGARETTE TAX EDITION

Yesterday:  Jubril Adekoya and the 14-12 Andrew Thunderbolts lost a 59-58 heartbreaker in double overtime to Stagg in the 4A regional semifinal, despite leading by nine at half and despite 22 points from JBoogie.  When he fouled out with 1:04 to go in the first OT, Andrew didn't fold though, giving up two late leads in each OT.
http://seasonpass.suntimes.com/news_article/show/233284-white-stagg-sink-andrew-in-thriller-

He had this to say to the papers:
Quote"This hurts a little but I'm just proud of the team," said Adekoya, who will attend Valparaiso in the fall. "We fought as hard as we could."
and (ironically) was less laconic on twitter:
QuoteJust wanted to give a big thanks to Andrew, the community, and everybody who rode with us and supported us from the jump. Wasn't always pretty but you all hung with us til the end. Love you all for that. Couldn't ask for a better team to put my hard hat on with and go to work with everyday and I mean that. Easily the best 4 years of my life and I'm sorry I couldn't leave everybody with a little more to hang on to. Out of 8th grade I had the option of going to a CPS school or a catholic school, but I stayed home where I knew we could make something happen. Nobody believe in us but I made it my mission to put us on the map. I'm just proud man and I know I'm getting lengthy but my thanks can just go for days. Thanks again everybody and its love to everybody that rode with us man I'm gonna miss it #THUNDERUP #⚡
Classy kid, and you can catch a glimpse of why he signed with us in there, as well as one of why we're glad he did.

Next: against, I don't know, Athletes-Inaction or something.  High school's OVA, man.  Sorry.

Tonight:
--Alec Peters and 28-1 Washington vs. Limestone for a 4A regional title.

--Lexus Williams and 18-10 Marist tilt at a windmill named JABARI PARKER and Simeon in another 4A regional final. #shocktheworld

LaPorteAveApostle

MARCH MADNESS™:  the real kind

Tonight: 
--Clay Yeo leads Triton against the hosts of the Class A Culver Community Sectional semifinal, trying to avenge one of their few defeats on the year.  (VU recruit Ryan Fazekas and Marquette could be waiting in the final...)

--Nick Davidson leads 18-3 Andrean against Rensselaer Polytechnic in the Class 3A KV Sectional semi.

LaPorteAveApostle

MARCH MADNESS®: 
the kind that spawns Jimmy Chitwoods annually

Yesterday 
--Nick Davidson and Andrean throttled Rensselaer 66-38.  Davidson led the way with 13 points and the Bombers' season came to an end at his hand, just like it has every year since he was a freshman.
http://www.nwitimes.com/high-school/hanover-central/andrean-to-meet-hanover-for-k-v-title/article_a87d2170-e637-53d4-87d2-f48bb67ac4e1.html
Maybe that's why he's not going to St. Joseph...he's not very popular there.

Next: Davidson tries to make it four sectionals in four years in the championship versus 15-7 Hanover Central, a rematch of last year destined to end as it did then: with a 59er victory!

--Clay Yeo sat the last 7 minutes of the 3rd quarter with foul trouble (yeah, you're remembering correctly, HS quarters are still only 8 minutes) but came back in the 4th to score 11 of his game-high 16 points and turn at 28-22 lead into a secure 44-32 win over Culver Community, avenging an earlier loss. 

Next: Tonight Yeo leads Triton into battle with Ryan Fazekas and Marquette, who dispatched Westville easily (81-46) behind 20 points and 16 boards from the sophomore.  Fazekas converted three Bruce Lindner 3-pointers in the game (old-school three-point plays).  Sounds like a tough kid.  Going to be a good game!
http://www.nwitimes.com/sports/high-school/boys-basketball/marquette-s-bigs-too-much-for-westville-at-culver-sectonal/article_ce03e15c-29a8-5b91-b55b-a6de781c5e63.html

LaPorteAveApostle

MARCH SADNESS:
well that's what happens when your state is inept at governance

Yesterday 
--Alec Peters and 28-1 Washington (man they play a lot of games over there) are now, shockingly, 28-2 after a season-ending upset, 69-64, in the 3A regional final. Peters had a Broekhoff stat line for the year:  22 pts & 9 boards per game (both of which led the area) and 1.8 steals, shooting a particularly Rowdyesque 53.6 / 44.3 / 83.3 (!).

After the game, Peters continued Illinois' future Crusaders' habit of saying introspective things that show maturity:

The oldest tweet in that series prompted a coach's reply and a bit of touching digital man-hug:

Next: i dunno, probably like the United World All-Stars of Slovenia & Latvia or something.  In the words of Something Corporate: "high school's over".

--As most expected, Lexus Williams and Marist became the latest in a long line of Illinois HS basketball teams to see their seasons shipwrecked by the force of nature that is Jabari Parker and Simeon, 66-31.  When Williams and Tx-PanAm-bound teammate LJ McIntosh put up 35 combined on Simeon last week, Simeon reacted as though they had lost that game, when in fact they had won by 26.  The Marist duo were put on lockdown and had just four points through the first three quarters (they trailed by the footballesque score of 30-7 at half).  Williams battled foul trouble all game, picking up two quick ones early and never really recovering.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/highschool/simeon/ct-spt-0302-prep-bkb-simeon-regional-final-20130301,0,6865663.story

After the game Williams (@smoovelex) kept the streak alive to 3 future Crusaders already maturing and observed
QuoteFeeling down but what a great 4 years I had playing for Marist! I loved every moment. From a win to a loss. It was all memorable!
Also on Twitter, user MBarry15 posted this picture with the observation "Simeon has more assistant coaches than Marist has points."  (I have a feeling he and I would get along.)  Seriously, what is this, pee-wee football?

At least Williams and Jubril Adekoya were named All-Area Honorable Mention earlier in the day:
http://seasonpass.suntimes.com/news_article/show/233276?referrer_id=596370

Next: what, Setshot's favorite D3 sacrificial lamb?  OK, ok, high school's not over, just HS basketball.

zvillehaze

Trition wins and faces Marquette tonight in the Culver sectional final.

http://www.thepilotnews.com/content/trojans-beat-culver-head-final