• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Recruiting

Started by Valpo89, December 02, 2011, 09:34:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: bbtds on March 12, 2013, 09:40:44 AMbattle for the Archbishop's title

Really?  Has the seat of Lafayette-in-Indiana been elevated to such lofty heights already? ;)

Speaking of Guerin, thanks for the link--looks like VU's own Mark Duray (early-mid 90s?) is the Director of Fine Arts there!
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

FWalum

More video of Concordia's D J McCall versus Bishop Luers (the Blackmon brothers, IU commits).  The highlights start at 1:26 with the first of McCall's 3 dunks not long after that time.

12/14/12 Friday Night Highlight Zone Part 1
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

valpopal

Since this is in today's news, I thought I'd note that this player has had an offer from Valpo:

http://www.kentucky.com/2013/03/11/2552144/waiting-begins-for-sweet-sixteen.html

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: FWalum on March 12, 2013, 12:30:00 PMthe first of McCall's 3 dunks

man!  that guy sure goes up effortlessly (and especially not being taller than everyone else on the court either)!

I love this monster thread, but perhaps we could get a "recruiting" sub-board, where individual people could have their own thread (eg McCall, even this Hawkins guy who doesn't seem that interested) and people could weigh in on them individually?

guys like FW who have coached etc could give their personal scout's take, etc., all the available data and updates could be posted there?

or would that fractionalize our board too much?
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

vuweathernerd

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on March 12, 2013, 03:39:31 PM
Quote from: FWalum on March 12, 2013, 12:30:00 PMthe first of McCall's 3 dunks

man!  that guy sure goes up effortlessly (and especially not being taller than everyone else on the court either)!

I love this monster thread, but perhaps we could get a "recruiting" sub-board, where individual people could have their own thread (eg McCall, even this Hawkins guy who doesn't seem that interested) and people could weigh in on them individually?

guys like FW who have coached etc could give their personal scout's take, etc., all the available data and updates could be posted there?

or would that fractionalize our board too much?

that's really not a bad idea. i get rather confused from time to time trying to sort out who's who, but a sub-board with individual threads for each recruit would definitely make things easier. at least in my opinion.

atkins

Unfortunately, Hawkins is out of our league (pun intended).  He might be a reach for a team like Butler or Purdue, but he's certainly out of our reach.   

FWalum

Quote from: atkins on March 12, 2013, 08:50:32 PM
Unfortunately, Hawkins is out of our league (pun intended).  He might be a reach for a team like Butler or Purdue, but he's certainly out of our reach.   
I understand what you are saying, but most would not have thought we could have received a commitment from one of the top 5 candidates for Illinois POY.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

RS

I agree . we have recruited very well this year. Hawkins is a point guard. Do we really need another PG as a recruit with 2 coming in next year. I would like to see another center or power forward signed. Hawkins states that he is a BIG Kentucky fan and wants to play for them. Kentucky has not offered ( according to verbalcommits.com ... a very interesting web site ) . He stated he has not heard from Valpo recently. Maybe getting  Keith Carter changed plans.

truth219

yes we need a point gaurd

RS

Even with Keith Carter and Lexus Williams and Lavonte Dority ( who can be used in a pinch ) > Don't forget that Nick Davidson can also play point. I still say we need another power guy.

truth219

We don't know if lexus will pan out, carter can't play til december, and with dority at the point were not sucsessful

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: truth219 on March 12, 2013, 11:57:38 PMWe don't know if lexus will pan out, carter can't play til december, and with dority at the point were not sucsessful

I can't believe I'm debating this on this night of all nights.

We don't know if Lexus Williams will pan out? Guess what?  We don't know if some Kentucky kid you just heard of that really doesn't want to go here will pan out either!  Let's cut the kid a break since Lexus hasn't even BEEN TO PROM YET!

We have 13 scholarships for 5 positions.  2-3 is the average number to have per position, and that's exactly what we have: 2.6 point guards.

truth219

Let others have opinions, christ you act like your better than everyone especially me

LaPorteAveApostle

just better than you in the "let's not have 5 point guards on a 13-player roster" department.

that's all.

and you can still have your wrong opinion.  i'm certainly not preventing you.

only the mods can do that.

although...hmm...

Smj

I think this trip to the dance will be great for our committed recruits....  Such great motivation because they see it can be done.

Might even open the door for some transfers and others that were sitting on the fence.

Great time for VU basketball!

:-)

milanmiracle

Quote from: Smj on March 13, 2013, 08:07:54 AM
I think this trip to the dance will be great for our committed recruits....  Such great motivation because they see it can be done.

Might even open the door for some transfers and others that were sitting on the fence.

Great time for VU basketball!

:-)

Making the dance never hurts recruiting, nor does being on TV, or having your program recognized nationally. Maybe this opens the door, if even just a crack, for a bigger and better recruit. Let's not forget that it took an Indiana Mr. Basketball to get Valpo to the Sweet 16, and while an Indiana Mr. Basktball isn't coming here anytime soon, it's going to take that quality of player to get where they all want to go.
"Tragedy is losing 86-7 and then having ESPN calling the press box and asking if the score is actually correct." - pgmado

valpotx

It will definitely help give us more exposure to upcoming transfers.  They will see that we are a transfer-friendly program that can get you playing time and an NCAA bid  :)
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpo84

Number of the incoming frosh were in the ARC last night, and it was very good for them to see the game, the championship presentation, the cutting of the nets and the general family picnic atmosphere of team, families, students, alums and friends on the court afterwards.
"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

FWalum

Anybody going to the Andrean Concordia Semi-State game on Saturday? I am very interested to see Nick Davidson be matched up with Marq Rogers from Concordia. Rogers is almost always matched up defensively with the opponents best player and will play defensive back next year for the Montana Grizzlies.  He and Deshaun Thomas had some good battles when Marq was just a freshman.  I wonder if the coaching staff will have anyone there to watch Davidson and McCall?

justducky

Quote from: FWalum on March 14, 2013, 12:54:51 PMAnybody going to the Andrean Concordia Semi-State game on Saturday? I am very interested to see Nick Davidson be matched up with Marq Rogers from Concordia. Rogers is almost always matched up defensively with the opponents best player
Should be interesting. VU and Andrean are similar in that they are deep, senior-led with everybody prepared to score. So maybe Rogers holds Davidson in check but Andrean still finds a a way to win? Sound familiar? Give us your take on just how good Nick is or isn't, but I think he might be able to someday reach near Matt Kenny type production levels.

Myself if I get out, will head for Jeff HS primarily to see the Central Catholic- Triton (Clay Yeo) game. Carmel-Merrillville also could also be a good one.

FWalum

Then it sounds as if Andrean and Concordia are very similar experience wise. Concordia starts 4 seniors with McCall being the 5th starter and a junior.  The starting 5 go 6'6", 6'5", 6'5" 6'5" and 6'3". Everybody but the point guard can score on any given night with McCall being the leading scorer. Concordia is pretty long but does not have the bulk that Andrean has from what I have heard. CLHS is not a great outside shooting team and relies a lot on transition baskets.

bbtds

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on March 12, 2013, 10:42:43 AM
Quote from: bbtds on March 12, 2013, 09:40:44 AMbattle for the Archbishop's title

Really?  Has the seat of Lafayette-in-Indiana been elevated to such lofty heights already? ;)

With so many Catholic high schools in Indy under Archbishop Tobin in Indy I assumed LCC was under this Archbishop too.

LaPorteAveApostle

well, it's under it in the sense that the AB is the metropolitan for the entire state of indiana, but Lafayette is its own diocese.

In states with smaller concentrations of Catholics, there are fewer dioceses (e.g. Arkansas, which is all the Diocese of Little Rock), but Indiana has the archdiocese of Indy, plus the dioceses of Gary (represent!), Evansville, Fort Wayne-South Bend, and Lafayette.

So LCC is in Lafayette, not Indy (obv) but where it gets tricky is that the southeast corner of that diocese, the area that's exploded recently, is there too, even though they would be considered part of the Indy metro area.  So Guerin is in Lafayette(-in-Indiana the full name because of Louisiana), not Indy.

So they are indeed battling for the Bishop's title, but it's the bishop of Lafayette not the AB of Indy.

That's surely more than you ever cared to know :)

atkins

My stream-of-consciousness, light-hearted musings re: the incoming class -- based what I have personally observed (which is not too much) and what has been communicated by friends and relatives who have seen various guys play over the last couple of years:  I think next year's team will soon be on the road to becoming special.  Yeo and Peters are impressive.  Yeo, in particular, is not afraid to aggressively take the ball inside and dunk it (something that this year's team doesn't like to do, apparently) or hit the outside shot.  He's quick and agile.  He needs to bulk up, but I see Yeo as a more-talented and more-athletic version of Ryan as a freshman.  Peters is a tough, hard-nosed three-point shooter who drills shots -- Like Rotnei Clarke but much taller -- but who can also do some of the same things as Yeo.  For those who know IU basketball history, both Yeo and Peters remind me a lot of Randy Wittman, which is a real compliment to them.  As for Davidson and Lexus...they are pure and smart point guards.  Both can shoot the ball -- including pull-up jumpers.  Carter is very, very good.  I think Carter has the point locked-down as soon as he is eligible.  I don't know anybody who has been able to tell me about Jubril Adekoya, so he must be our secret weapon.  We do, however, need to find an agile power forward. 

Finally, am I being too optimistic to believe that Vashil will be a force next year?  I think Yeo needs to teach him how to go up strong and just dunk the ball, and he needs to stop watching Kevin dribble and shoot a layup from two feet out. 

Just musings, but still fun! 

vu72

Quote from: atkins on March 15, 2013, 10:47:53 AM
My stream-of-consciousness, light-hearted musings re: the incoming class -- based what I have personally observed (which is not too much) and what has been communicated by friends and relatives who have seen various guys play over the last couple of years:  I think next year's team will soon be on the road to becoming special.  Yeo and Peters are impressive.  Yeo, in particular, is not afraid to aggressively take the ball inside and dunk it (something that this year's team doesn't like to do, apparently) or hit the outside shot.  He's quick and agile.  He needs to bulk up, but I see Yeo as a more-talented and more-athletic version of Ryan as a freshman.  Peters is a tough, hard-nosed three-point shooter who drills shots -- Like Rotnei Clarke but much taller -- but who can also do some of the same things as Yeo.  For those who know IU basketball history, both Yeo and Peters remind me a lot of Randy Wittman, which is a real compliment to them.  As for Davidson and Lexus...they are pure and smart point guards.  Both can shoot the ball -- including pull-up jumpers.  Carter is very, very good.  I think Carter has the point locked-down as soon as he is eligible.  I don't know anybody who has been able to tell me about Jubril Adekoya, so he must be our secret weapon.  We do, however, need to find an agile power forward.  Finally, am I being too optimistic to believe that Vashil will be a force next year?  I think Yeo needs to teach him how to go up strong and just dunk the ball, and he needs to stop watching Kevin dribble and shoot a layup from two feet out. 

Just musings, but still fun! 

From what chef and others have said, Jubril is that tough, rebounding machine, power forward you were seeking!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015