• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Recruiting

Started by Valpo89, December 02, 2011, 09:34:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

agibson

Specifically
INDYSTAR INDIANA ALL-STAR ROSTER
Zak Irvin, Hamilton Southeastern, 6-7, Michigan
Demetrius Jackson, Mishawaka Marian, 6-1, Notre Dame
Bryson Scott, Fort Wayne Northrop, 6-2, Purdue
Devin Davis, Warren Central, 6-6, Indiana
Michael Volovic, Carmel, 5-9, Butler
Collin Hartman, Cathedral, 6-6, Indiana
V.J. Beachem, New Haven, 6-7, Notre Dame
Clay Yeo, Triton, 6-6, Valpariaso [sic]
Basil Smotherman, Lawrence North, 6-7, Purdue
Blake Simmons, Castle, 6-5, Evansville
Mike Crawford, Tipton, 6-5, Saint Louis
Michael Schlotman, Munster, 6-3, William & Mary
Darius Latham, North Central, 6-6, Indiana

The only real comment on Yeo, apart from mentioning he's coming to Valpo (they spelled it correctly in the body of the story) is
Including the 6-7 Smotherman and 6-7 IndyStar Mr. Basketball Zak Irvin of Hamilton Southeastern, this year's All-Star team is heavy on tall and versatile wing players. They include: Warren Central's 6-6 Devin Davis, Cathedral's 6-6 Collin Hartman, New Haven's 6-7 V.J. Beachem, Triton's 6-6 Clay Yeo, Tipton's 6-5 Mike Crawford and Castle's 6-5 Blake Simmons.

Of the all-stars, apparently Latham is going to play _football_ at Indiana.  And Volovic's going to walk on (?!) at Butler.

agibson

Do we know if Davidson was invited to the "top-60 workout on Sunday"?  Apparently some sort of a pre-selection workout.  Was the list announced?

agibson

Did we cover the AP Indiana All-State team?  I don't see it, on quick glance.

Yeo was named to the third team.
http://www.staceypageonline.com/2013/04/03/yeo-bloom-lauded-by-ap/

IndyValpo

Here is the Top 60 list.  Davidson was on the list.  Yeo obviously had done enough to make the All-Stars as he was unable to participate.

Quote from: zvillehaze on April 09, 2013, 10:40:31 AMAnd Volovic's going to walk on (?!) at Butler.

Volovic is solid he could be in line for some PT right away.  He could have gone other places but chose Butler even though there were no scholarships remaining.

Workout invitees follow.

Ian Asher, Danville
Darryl Baker, Jeffersonville     
Jalen Bender, Evansville Central
Steven Bennett, New Castle
Jared Bloom, Warsaw
Trey Boyd, Anderson
Caleb Brannon, Lebanon
Jaylon Brown, Fishers
Blake Cesinger, Clay City
Jaylen Chambers, Evansville North
Kegan Comer, Jay County
Brandon Cook, Cannelton
Charles Cooper, Gary Wallace
Brock Cosey, South Bend Riley
Mike Crawford, Tipton
Nick Crays, North Daviess
James Crowley, Carmel
Andrew Dakich, Zionsville
Nick Davidson, Andrean
Devin Davis, Warren Central
Alex Etherington, Hamilton Heights
J.C. Faubion, Indianapolis Lutheran
Dess Fougerousse, Linton
Nick Gamble, Homestead
Brogan Gary, Pendleton Heights
Sawyer Glick, Columbus North
Collin Hartman, Indianapolis Cathedral
Franko House, Concord
Zak Irvin, Hamilton Southeastern
Tori Jackson, Columbus North
B.J. Jenkins, Merrillville
Anthony Johnson, Decatur Central
Brodie Crowe, Shakamak
Tyler Jones, Sheridan
Austin Karazsia, Linton
Nick Kindig, Tippecanoe Valley
Carlos Knox, Indianapolis Ritter
Darius Latham, North Central (Marion)
Ajay Lawton, Westfield
Lane Mahurin, Rockville
Brett McCory, Brownstown Central
Jalen McCoy, Borden
Brock McFarland, Jay County
Markese McGuire, Elkhart Memorial
John Mosser, Valparaiso
Michael Morris, New Palestine
Cole Murray, Delphi
Antonio Penny, Logansport
Chris Braun, Charlestown
Antonio Pipkin, Bowman Academy
Mack Rathbun, Muncie Burris
Korey Ryan, New Castle
Mike Schlotman, Munster
Brenton Scott, Fort Wayne Northrop
Bryson Scott, Fort Wayne Northrop
LaBradford Sebree, Kokomo
Basil Smotherman Jr., Lawrence North
Justus Stanback, West Lafayette
Thomas Starks, Fort Wayne Concordia
Jeffrey Turner, Terre Haute South
Stephen Turner, Mt. Vernon (Fortville)
Zavier Turner, Pike
Gary Ulrich, Rockville
Greg Spina, Martinsville
Michael Volovic, Carmel
Tyler Walsh, Evansville Mater Dei
Tony Wills, Ben Davis
Conner Wittmer, Loogootee

Selected but unable to participate
V.J. Beachem, New Haven
Demetrius Jackson, Mishawaka Marian
Taishaun Johnson, Pike
Jordan Pickett, Pike
Blake Simmons, Castle
Austin Torres, Penn
Trent VanHorn, Fort Wayne Canterbury
Josh VanMeter, Norwell
Keenan Wood, Franklin
Clay Yeo, Triton

lowposter

Volovic is simply a winner.  He is undersized at 5'9" but has abilities on the floor which cannot be disputed.  Carmel won state two years in a row with him in command and with NO D1 talent (other than himself) on the floor.  McRoberts probably will be a mid-major (he is only a junior) but their leading players from last year went D3.

If I were voting for Mr. Basketball serious consideration would have been given to Volovic.  He is that good. 

Davidson did in fact attend Top 60 and played well.  One must realize that for the most part the Top 60 degenerates very quickly into a "one on one" fest with tons of poor shots and quite a few airballs.   Nick made a couple of nice drives to the hoop and finished strongly on one play. 

Schlottman is a better fit for the Indiana All Stars and it is doubtful two from the weak conference were going to make All Stars.

Davidson can be another Matt Kenney if he improves quickness/jumping.

lowposter

FWalum

Quote from: lowposter on April 09, 2013, 04:04:35 PMDavidson did in fact attend Top 60 and played well.  One must realize that for the most part the Top 60 degenerates very quickly into a "one on one" fest with tons of poor shots and quite a few airballs.   Nick made a couple of nice drives to the hoop and finished strongly on one play.

Davidson can be another Matt Kenney if he improves quickness/jumping.
Some mention of that was made before, but good to hear further confirmation.  Thanks lowposter.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

bbtds

Quote from: IndyValpo on April 09, 2013, 01:30:10 PMJ.C. Faubion, Indianapolis Lutheran

J.C. is a descent basketball player. His mother, by the way, is one of the better elementary teachers and church volunteers in Indiana and certainly deserves recognition. 

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: bbtds on April 09, 2013, 06:16:16 PMJ.C. is a descent basketball player.

guess his mum played the game too, huh?  Maybe she and CapobiMomco can chat.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

bbtds

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on April 09, 2013, 06:53:05 PM
Quote from: bbtds on April 09, 2013, 06:16:16 PMJ.C. is a descent basketball player.

guess his mum played the game too, huh?  Maybe she and CapobiMomco can chat.

No, I honestly believe J.C.'s mother deserves more recognition for her teaching and volunteering than J.C. does for his basketball skills.

He did once make a "heck" of a catch during a playoff football game as a receiver that I will never forget. Finger tip catch that many NFL receivers would have never made.

valpopal

Four DePaul players seeking a new home. Would we be interested in any or do we want a Juco who could play next year?:

http://www.depaulbluedemons.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/040913aab.html

walldozer

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/blog/eye-on-college-basketball/22034866/memphis-junior-tarik-black-transferring

Tarik Black from Memphis is transferring.  Maybe he could be a Valparaiso get.  Sounds like his game would fill a hole in our lineup next year.

On a side note, what are your opinions?  Is Black at the level of the transfers we have been getting in recent years, or better than those transfers? 

classof2014

Black would be nice since he'd be immediately eligible to play and both are big men and I think there are a lot of questions around Vashil's offensive abilities still. Robertson could fit as well, although he will have to redshirt next season unless some oddity that I don't know about in the ncaa transfer rules but most likely he will just be in street clothes next season.

bbtds

"I just want people to remember how I carried myself on and off the court," said Yeo. "I want them to remember my approach and just how I handled everything.

"I also want them to know that things are possible if you work hard and want them bad enough."

An All-Star jersey for Yeo is proof positive of that fact.

valpotx

In regards to the Memphis article, it mentions that he would be restricted from transferring to a school on their upcoming schedule.  I thought that if you graduated early, you are technically done with your commitment to the university, and can transfer wherever?
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpopal

Quote from: classof2014 on April 07, 2013, 10:03:30 AM
Could possibly hear sometime today or tomorrow whether or not Mr. Basketball in Kentucky, Dominique Hawkins, where he will be going. If he's offered a scholarship from Kentucky chances are that's where he goes but I've seen weirder things happen.

He announced this morning that he will attend Kentucky.

classof2014

Quote from: valpopal on April 10, 2013, 07:44:46 AM
Could possibly hear sometime today or tomorrow whether or not Mr. Basketball in Kentucky, Dominique Hawkins, where he will be going. If he's offered a scholarship from Kentucky chances are that's where he goes but I've seen weirder things happen.

Kinda figured he would. I think we can now turn our attention to trying to find a big man, either JUCO or somebody immediately eligible. Still a lot of questions surrounding Vashil's offensive capabilities.

VULB#62

Quote from: classof2014 on April 10, 2013, 08:43:08 AM

Kinda figured he would. I think we can now turn our attention to trying to find a big man, either JUCO or somebody immediately eligible. Still a lot of questions surrounding Vashil's offensive capabilities.

To put a period (probably more of an exclamation point) on the Hawkins discussion, this from USAToday:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaab/2013/04/09/championship-louisville-kentucky-back-to-back/2067813/

A snippit from that article:  "Kentucky's incoming recruiting class is easily the best in the nation, and arguably the greatest class ever assembled. The Wildcats will likely be preseason No. 1 in every college basketball poll."

and

"Already, Calipari has signed Julius Randle, the top-ranked power forward in the nation, Andrew Harrison (the No. 1 point guard recruit), Aaron Harrison (No. 1 shooting guard), James Young (the No. 2 shooting guard), Dakari Johnson (the No. 1 center), and Marcus Lee (the No. 5 power forward). Each of the six signees is a five-star recruit."

And this does not even mention Mr. Kentucky Basketball.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: VULB#62 on April 10, 2013, 09:33:01 AMAnd this does not even mention Mr. Kentucky Basketball.
VU & KU fans will simply call him "Jay".
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

valpopal

Alex Foster, a 6'8" Rivals 3-star from Chicago, has just de-committed from Minnesota. He is someone who was on Valpo's radar, especially coach Powell, and would be a great addition if he could be persuaded to come to VU:

http://www.nwitimes.com/sports/high-school/tuesday-s-illinois-prep-roundup-seton-s-foster-decommits-from/article_81fc33bd-59df-5e07-95ce-b6f3934a2f3a.html

vu72

Quote from: VULB#62 on April 10, 2013, 09:33:01 AM
Quote from: classof2014 on April 10, 2013, 08:43:08 AM

To put a period (probably more of an exclamation point) on the Hawkins discussion, this from USAToday:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaab/2013/04/09/championship-louisville-kentucky-back-to-back/2067813/

A snippit from that article:  "Kentucky's incoming recruiting class is easily the best in the nation, and arguably the greatest class ever assembled. The Wildcats will likely be preseason No. 1 in every college basketball poll."

and

"Already, Calipari has signed Julius Randle, the top-ranked power forward in the nation, Andrew Harrison (the No. 1 point guard recruit), Aaron Harrison (No. 1 shooting guard), James Young (the No. 2 shooting guard), Dakari Johnson (the No. 1 center), and Marcus Lee (the No. 5 power forward). Each of the six signees is a five-star recruit."

And this does not even mention Mr. Kentucky Basketball.

This is just amazing. Calipari keeps getting these kids even though he failed to even make the NCAAs and lost in the first round of the NIT. How many of the McDonald's All Americans from this year will return (some for sure) and then add all these kids.  Many are going to be very disappointed as they all expect to play in the NBA--without a doubt.

BTW, how did the Wright State kid who played his last season at Kentucky do?  I never followed him to see if he had any playing time.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

wh

Quote from: valpopal on April 10, 2013, 10:36:22 AM
Alex Foster, a 6'8" Rivals 3-star from Chicago, has just de-committed from Minnesota. He is someone who was on Valpo's radar, especially coach Powell, and would be a great addition if he could be persuaded to come to VU:

http://www.nwitimes.com/sports/high-school/tuesday-s-illinois-prep-roundup-seton-s-foster-decommits-from/article_81fc33bd-59df-5e07-95ce-b6f3934a2f3a.html

This could have legs.  Foster and our own Jubril Adekoya played AAU together last summer for Meanstreets:

http://aauinfo.blogspot.com/2012/06/meanstreets-2012.html

Foster had numerous D-1 Major offers, including Minnesota, Purdue, Illinois, Wisconsin, Nebraska and Northwestern of the Big 10.  We're short on bigs and he would undoubtedly get a lot of playing time from the get-go.  Sounds like a match made in heaven.  If he were to join this incoming class, the "struggling early" and other negative projections would have to be reassessed.

valpotx

I would absolutely love to get this 6'8" guy.  It would provide some needed post back-up for Bobby, and someone we can have for a few years to come
"Don't mess with Texas"

classof2014

We definitely have a shot at Foster. Our biggest advantage is we can offer immediate playing time. He and Vashil will probably fight for the 2 spot next season right behind Bobby. With Bobby graduating next year, we'll only have one big left in Vashil and definitely have an opening for a big man and is a definite need.

Hopefully Powell can work his magic on another prime Chicago talent and get Foster to fall in love with Valpo.