• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Recruiting

Started by Valpo89, December 02, 2011, 09:34:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FWalum

Hopefully a number of the B1G schools that were interested already have their scholarship slots full for the 2013 class.  The reduction of available scholarships coupled with the possibility of immediate playing time could work to our advantage. Just looked at some video (mainly dunks) and I really like his length and shoulders so it kind of surprises me from what I see that he is only a 3 star recruit. Does anybody know what the pundits consider to be this kids weaknesses?
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

VULB#62

Northwestern and Harvard offered.  Must have decent grades.  Valpo didn't offer according to Rivals.

classof2014

According to espn: "Strengths:
This long and athletic forward has a good basketball body for such a young player. He slithers between defenders for nice finishes or drawing fouls. Foster also displayed the ability to rebound with authority in a crowd. He runs the floor very well and is quick to the ball. Foster has developing good hands and makes plays with his consistent effort.
Weaknesses:
He has a funny release on his shot especially from the free throw line. His form is not bad but he releases his guide hand too soon which at times moves his shot off line. This young lefty is raw and must continue to work to develop his overall skills and at times seems to still finding his way but the talent and potential are very evident.
Bottom Line:
Alex is a lefty post player that is smooth and talented. He is a little raw right now but is developing a face-up basket game. He has range on his shot right now to 15 feet. He is long and athletic and is very good transition. Tremendous amount of upside."

According to verbal commits, seems like all the schools that haven't had a commit at the PF position and offered him a scholarship are and don't have any other leads at the PF position: Nebraska and Purdue but Purdue had two guys at the PF position who were freshman this season and one was redshirted.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: FWalum on April 10, 2013, 12:05:53 PMHopefully a number of the B1G schools that were interested already have their scholarship slots full for the 2013 class.
Problem being people declaring for the draft will open up spots...
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

historyman

Quote from: classof2014 on April 10, 2013, 12:23:55 PMWeaknesses: He has a funny release on his shot especially from the free throw line. His form is not bad but he releases his guide hand too soon which at times moves his shot off line. This young lefty is raw and must continue to work to develop his overall skills and at times seems to still finding his way but the talent and potential are very evident.

Somebody send this guy Virgil Sweet's book on FT shooting. Inside the book write to him that Bryce went to HS where Sweet taught and coached. That Bryce learned from Sweet's students.

I went to one of Sweet's basketball schools. I bet I could teach him how to release his shot. On the other hand writing on a message board would not be my strength.  ;)
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

StlVUFan

Quote from: historyman on April 10, 2013, 01:39:14 PM
Quote from: classof2014 on April 10, 2013, 12:23:55 PMWeaknesses: He has a funny release on his shot especially from the free throw line. His form is not bad but he releases his guide hand too soon which at times moves his shot off line. This young lefty is raw and must continue to work to develop his overall skills and at times seems to still finding his way but the talent and potential are very evident.

Somebody send this guy Virgil Sweet's book on FT shooting. Inside the book write to him that Bryce went to HS where Sweet taught and coached. That Bryce learned from Sweet's students.

I went to one of Sweet's basketball schools. I bet I could teach him how to release his shot. On the other hand writing on a message board would not be my strength.  ;)
I went to all four of his basketball summer camps, and I bet I could teach him proper form as well, assuming players are still teachable at that age.  Mind you that's the only basketball thing I'd have the ghost of a chance to teach anyone ;)

valpopal

Quote from: FWalum on April 10, 2013, 12:05:53 PM
Hopefully a number of the B1G schools that were interested already have their scholarship slots full for the 2013 class.  The reduction of available scholarships coupled with the possibility of immediate playing time could work to our advantage. Just looked at some video (mainly dunks) and I really like his length and shoulders so it kind of surprises me from what I see that he is only a 3 star recruit. Does anybody know what the pundits consider to be this kids weaknesses?

I'm hearing that our main competition for Foster would be Purdue.

LaPorteAveApostle

Just a warning about Purdue, Alex Foster:  just like Blake drafted by the Clippers, it's a dangerous thing to do to one's legs.  Like being a running back at Iowa.  (not a threat of course!  a warning!!!)
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

lowposter

Minor corrections here...

Bryce had his own free throw style which differed from the then Valpo method.  Bob Punter was the VHS coach at the time and Bryce was allowed to use his own style.  Other players in that era used the Valpo style.  The previous VHS coach was Skip Collins.  Skip was absolutely brilliant at teaching kids how to shoot FTs.  I saw him work with a group of Valpo 7th/8th graders and transform a 7th grader from a 40% shooter to 75% within one hour of team instruction and perhaps 5 minutes of one on one time.

Free throws are muscle memory with considerable mental skills attached.  By minimizing the movements, there are fewer things to go wrong with the shot.  By standardizing the shot, it is easy to coach/instruct with fewer "moveable parts" so to speak.

I am surprized Skip Collins isnt used as a consultant, but most basketball coaches have an ego thing about bringing in "outside help."  By the time players are in college, most are unwilling to tinker or adjust their shooting styles.

lowposter

wh

Skip Collins worked pretty extensively one summer with Raitis Grafs and his FT % improved from 60 to 70%.

Found this video of Raitis competing in slot car championships:

BA SLOT CARS 271210.mpg

StlVUFan

Could use subtitles, but the piano tune was jaunty.

Actually, you can get Portuguese CC, but I don't understand Portuguese, so ...

bbtds

Quote from: wh on April 12, 2013, 02:14:19 PM
Skip Collins worked pretty extensively one summer with Raitis Grafs and his FT % improved from 60 to 70%.

BA SLOT CARS 271210.mpg

Vīrieši un viņu rotaļlietas!

wh

Quote from: bbtds on April 12, 2013, 02:37:32 PM

BA SLOT CARS 271210.mpg

izskatās daudz jautrības

bbtds

Quote from: wh on April 12, 2013, 02:47:50 PM

BA SLOT CARS 271210.mpg

izskatās daudz jautrības
touche!   ;)

LaPorteAveApostle

izskatās daudz jautrības

Ko tad mēs pirms Google tulkot?

valpotx

Haha, that is such a Raitis thing to do.  He was so out there away from the court  :)
"Don't mess with Texas"

StlVUFan

BA SLOT CARS 271210.mpg

Easy for you to say.

bbtds

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on April 12, 2013, 04:20:58 PM

izskatās daudz jautrības

Ko tad mēs pirms Google tulkot?

tulkot, smulkot, kāda ir tulkot?

LaPorteAveApostle

bbtds

LaPorteAveApostle

yeah but i thought you asked.

vu72

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on April 13, 2013, 08:05:01 AM

Hey guys, it's only April and the posts are getting more silly and off point.  Just sayin...
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: vu72 on April 13, 2013, 08:23:50 AMHey guys, it's only April and the posts are getting more silly and off point.  Just sayin...
viņi sāka to, ne man!

FWalum

Quote from: vu72 on April 13, 2013, 08:23:50 AM
Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on April 13, 2013, 08:05:01 AM

Hey guys, it's only April and the posts are getting more silly and off point.  Just sayin...
Ditto, it would be nice if we could get back to recruiting on this thread. This is one of the more exciting threads for me and to come here and see it filled with gibberish is a little disappointing, but I can live with it.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

historyman

Someone help me. Are vu72 and FWalum moderators?
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann