• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Recruiting

Started by Valpo89, December 02, 2011, 09:34:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaPorteAveApostle

Are you capable of thinking critically about schools to which you are attached? (You're hardly alone, if so.  Just saying.)

It's one thing to take such a stance.  It's quite another to take it public, and hang it over his head.  It's low-class, and does nothing for Purdue's image.

Nothing good, anyway.  Other athletes notice @#$ like this.

The crux, however, is that they're not even taking a stance (e.g. "Wood is no longer a scholarship student here so he must pay his freight").  They're issuing an ultimatum--a thinly-veiled threat: "come back or pay the price".  It's the NCAA equivalent of "come back to me and I won't upload the pics you sent me to the Interwebz".

This is another reason why Purdue is the B1G joke.  Well, you and IU.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: vufan75 on April 26, 2012, 12:05:31 PMI wonder what if anything is happening in the cases of Michael Orris, Alex Rossi, or Alex Dragicevich, potential recruits or college transfers who either Valpo expressed interest in or vice versa over the last several weeks?

This was a LONG time ago, but we had another crack at Orris again after KSU (if we wanted it, of course) but he chose a program best described as "DeKaying In DeKalb":
http://www.nwitimes.com/sports/high-school/illinois/orris-commits-to-northern-illinois/article_ab3c35fd-57eb-5c83-8455-cb7e3a9b4ce0.html
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

wh

Doesn't Depauw award BB scholarships?

valpotx

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on April 30, 2013, 05:06:43 PM
Quote from: vufan75 on April 26, 2012, 12:05:31 PMI wonder what if anything is happening in the cases of Michael Orris, Alex Rossi, or Alex Dragicevich, potential recruits or college transfers who either Valpo expressed interest in or vice versa over the last several weeks?

This was a LONG time ago, but we had another crack at Orris again after KSU (if we wanted it, of course) but he chose a program best described as "DeKaying In DeKalb":
http://www.nwitimes.com/sports/high-school/illinois/orris-commits-to-northern-illinois/article_ab3c35fd-57eb-5c83-8455-cb7e3a9b4ce0.html

That is an understatement lol.  They were absolutely pitiful to watch this last season
"Don't mess with Texas"

IndyValpo

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: IndyValpo on April 30, 2013, 07:10:13 PMQuote from: wh on Today at 06:36:18 PM
No
Being WH, there has to be some underlying point he's making here, but I'll be darned if I can figure it out.

wh

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on April 30, 2013, 07:12:37 PM
Quote from: IndyValpo on April 30, 2013, 07:10:13 PMQuote from: wh on Today at 06:36:18 PM
No
Being WH, there has to be some underlying point he's making here, but I'll be darned if I can figure it out.

I was wondering about Zville's claim about "writing checks."  Apparently it is accurate, according to Indy Valpo's response.

valpopal

A busy week of campus visits: Wake Forest transfer Chase Fischer visited campus. He was a 3-star 90 Scout-Grade shooting guard (ranked #48 by ESPN) out of high school.

LaPorteAveApostle

CHASE FISCHER come on down.

transferring:  http://www.journalnow.com/sports/wfu/basketball/article_9250efb6-97d2-11e2-a4f2-0019bb30f31a.html
Quote"I think he's been a great representative of our program over the last two years,'' Bzdelik said. "We appreciate his efforts and the way he has handled himself.

"And we wish him the very best.''

Fischer, one of the Deacons' three captains in 2012-13, played in all 31 games, starting three during the nonconference segment of the schedule. He averaged 14.7 minutes and 4.5 points, while shooting 40 percent from the floor, 42 percent from 3-point range and 60 percent from the free-throw line.
From Ripley, WV (i've KNOWN fellers like that!).
http://www.wakeforestsports.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/chase_fischer_737112.html
QuoteTwo-year letterwinner who played in 62 career games with six starts for the Demon Deacons ... Voted by his teammates as a team captain for the 2012-13 season ... Provided an outside shooting threat off the bench ... Terrific 3-point shooter with deep range ... Possesses a high basketball IQ ... One of the top scorers in West Virginia high school basketball history ... Became the ninth all-time Parade All-American to suit up for Wake Forest ... Joined Chris Paul (2003) and Al-Farouq Aminu (2008) as Deacons who were first team honorees by Parade
um...that last bit is some pretty good comp'ny.

stats:  http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/56123/chase-fischer
notable:  the high point of his season (ironically) was vs. High Point (15 pts in 24 min on 5-8 downtown); scored double figures four times in the non-con but only once--and 10 at that--in conf. play.  Freshman year hit double digits NINE times (3 in conf).

Here is why he is transferring:
Freshman year:  26.1 mpg.
Sophomore:  14.2 mpg.

(At that rate, he'd be playing -10 mpg his senior year, which is too hard unless you're really good at advanced mathematical concepts, hence the transfer.)

Not a great shooter...a "volume shooter" I guess they call them these days:
FR:  35% / 32% / 82.1%
SO: 39.5% / 42.2% / 60%
Career: 36.8% / 36.1% / 75.9%

Pros:  would excel in the HL, if Bryce teaches him to shoot.  Like a white Rotnei Cl...oh wait.
Cons:  could make Capo seem like Rowdy behind the arc.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: wh on April 30, 2013, 07:33:00 PMI was wondering about Zville's claim about "writing checks."  Apparently it is accurate, according to Indy Valpo's response.
Initially I surmised that it had to do with setshot, like all D3 references.

Then I thought it to be a shot at DePaul, as in "depauw gives scholarships, imagine how much better depaul could be if they just followed suit"

zvillehaze

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on April 30, 2013, 05:00:42 PM
Are you capable of thinking critically about schools to which you are attached? (You're hardly alone, if so.  Just saying.)

It's one thing to take such a stance.  It's quite another to take it public, and hang it over his head.  It's low-class, and does nothing for Purdue's image.

Nothing good, anyway.  Other athletes notice @#$ like this.

The crux, however, is that they're not even taking a stance (e.g. "Wood is no longer a scholarship student here so he must pay his freight").  They're issuing an ultimatum--a thinly-veiled threat: "come back or pay the price".  It's the NCAA equivalent of "come back to me and I won't upload the pics you sent me to the Interwebz".

This is another reason why Purdue is the B1G joke.  Well, you and IU.

I don't really have any "attachment" to Purdue's athletic programs, so I thought I was thinking critically.  But if I'm not capable, so be it.  I hope my opinion would be the same no matter where this was taking place.

You are 100% correct that other coaches will try to use this against Purdue, just like when coaches oversign and have to yank scholarships from kids.  Sadly, it has little impact because every kid believes that stuff like that will never happen to them.

On the Marcius issue, I just have a different point of view.  I believe an athlete has to meet certain obligations in order to "earn" their scholarship.  One of those obligations is actually participating on the team.  If Marcius doesn't want to be on the team, then there is clearly no obligation for the school to continue paying for classes he enrolls in after leaving the team, IMO. 

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: zvillehaze on April 30, 2013, 09:50:08 PMIf Marcius doesn't want to be on the team, then there is clearly no obligation for the school to continue paying for classes he enrolls in after leaving the team, IMO. 
Agreed.  But you're missing the point--it's really, really, exceptionally bad form to hold it out like a carrot--in public!--and threaten him.

Especially when, at $7K, it's not a huge amount, as you say--but that only makes them seem even more petty.

And no rival coach needs to use this against Purdue--it uses itself.

Then again, I'm sure plenty of Wisconsin fans thought Bo Ryan was right to try to stick it to Jarrod Uthoff when he decided to transfer.  And look how THAT blew up in his face.  (Couldn't happen to a nicer ... well, there are a couple "nicer" in the B1G.  not more than 2 though.)

Even though I'm certainly NOT arguing that they should pay it for him, if it gets just a little traction nationally, you and everyone up to My Man Mitch will wish they'd just spent the $7K in prevention, rather than pay for several pounds of cure.

vu72

This kid Fischer could be another Erik Buggs! (free throw shooting wise that is... :( )
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

classof2014

Quote from: vu72 on May 01, 2013, 06:30:51 AM
This kid Fischer could be another Erik Buggs! (free throw shooting wise that is... :( )

He's a much better shooter than what Buggs was.

I would consider him similar to LaVonte Dority, shooting wise, at least, maybe a little bit better. He had a good free throw percentage, a decent 3 point and a mediocre to subpar shooting percentage in the mid 30s.

If we were to get Fischer, he'd have to sit out next season due to transfer rules, I would imagine.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: classof2014 on May 01, 2013, 12:05:13 PMI would consider him similar to LaVonte Dority

Funny you should say that ... I was about to do this

WHO IS WHO?
(2pt%/3pt%/FT%)
Player X:  38.5 / 36.1 / 75.9
Player Y:  38.6 / 32.6 / 84.7

Player X's 3s were 69.3% of shot selection; Player Y, 42.0%, btw.

Further:  Reb/40 / Ast/40 / Stl/40 / Blk/40
Player X: 3.3 / 2.1 / 1.1 / 0.1
Player Y: 2.3 / 3.6 / 1.1 / 0.1

But: Fouls/40 / TO/40
Player X: 1.99 / 1.70
Player Y: 3.37 / 3.57

Shot selection gives it away (x=fischer, y=LVD), but interesting that for two players so statistically similar have such different games (X=shooter, Y=physical neo-PG).

Also interesting that LVD's first three years logged him just 8 more minutes of PT than Fischer's first year.

Although LVD logged nearly 100 more minutes this past season.

classof2014

According to verbal commits, Jason Carter of Alabama will be transferring to Valparaiso. Carter is a 6' 8" 230 lb PF from Houston, I think he originally committed to Bama out of JUCO, then decided not to go. After reading stuff online, seems kinda sketchy. Verbal commits does say it's according to cbs sports. Not too sure about this after I read into a bit more. Might be a mistake.

Anybody else know anything about this?

EDIT: From what it sounds like, Carter originally committed to Bama but was dismissed from the team and played JUCO. This year he committed to Ole Miss, then decided to transfer out and went to Arkansas State. Now Valpo? Maybe this is true, maybe not.

All in all, Carter seems like a beast down low. ESPN gave him a 4 star rating out of high school, so he definitely has talent. Guess we'll see how this Jason Carter saga pans out in the future.

wh

Quote from: classof2014 on May 02, 2013, 11:19:22 PM
According to verbal commits, Jason Carter of Alabama will be transferring to Valparaiso. Carter is a 6' 8" 230 lb PF from Houston, I think he originally committed to Bama out of JUCO, then decided not to go. After reading stuff online, seems kinda sketchy. Verbal commits does say it's according to cbs sports. Not too sure about this after I read into a bit more. Might be a mistake.

EDIT: From what it sounds like, Carter originally committed to Bama but was dismissed from the team and played JUCO. This year he committed to Ole Miss, then decided to transfer out and went to Arkansas State. Now Valpo? Maybe this is true, maybe not.

All in all, Carter seems like a beast down low. ESPN gave him a 4 star rating out of high school, so he definitely has talent. Guess we'll see how this Jason Carter saga pans out in the future.
Quote from: classof2014 on May 02, 2013, 11:19:22 PM

Whoever said they don't like dunking videos might change their mind about this one:

Jason Carter (JUCO DUNk Contest)

valpotx

Holy crap, I will take him as a PF!  I don't remember any Crusaders that have ever been able to do that.  He seems to have some tendencies similar to past recruits that moved around a lot (Hamga), but hopefully he does come and commits to the program 100%.  With all that moving, would he have to sit a year?
"Don't mess with Texas"

a3uge

It's just an error. The guy on CBS has Jason Carter right above Keith Carter transferring to Arkansas state. Somebody screwed up and read down a line.

Unfortunately.

classof2014

Something I just noticed with the recruits... they are all from Illinois or Indiana. Personally I think this is awesome.

Keith Carter* -- Maywood IL
Lexus Williams -- Chicago IL
Nick Davidson -- Merrillville IN
Clay Yeo -- Bourbo IN
Alec Peters -- Washington IL
Jubril Adekoya -- Tinley Park IL
Erick Locke -- Chicago IL
CJ Rivers -- Cahokia IL
Jevon Carter -- Maywood IL
Darreon Reddick -- Belleville IL
Nick Rogers -- Whitestown IN
Aaron Jordan -- Plainfield IL
Ryan Fazekas -- Michigan City IN
Matt Holba -- Chesterton IN

Total of 14 recruits, including this incoming class, 9 from Illinois and 5 from Indiana. I love what the coaching staff is doing. I think this is the beginning of the end for our identity being the international basketball school. Now we're making the short drives across Illinois and Indiana, two of the most talent rich states in the country.

Love hearing of towns that I know exactly where they are on the map and I've been to. The future is bright for the program, looking at the kids that they're going after. Not just great on the court... but seem great off the court as well. Bravo!

valpotx

Though I do like the local recruiting, I do hope that we still have our eyes trained on any potential international recruits.  International players have kept us going since Bryce, and we don't want to completely turn away from what has made us successful.  Maybe 1-2 on our roster to keep our name out there among schools who are kind to non-US players.
"Don't mess with Texas"

classof2014

Quote from: valpotx on May 07, 2013, 07:58:07 PM
Though I do like the local recruiting, I do hope that we still have our eyes trained on any potential international recruits.  International players have kept us going since Bryce, and we don't want to completely turn away from what has made us successful.  Maybe 1-2 on our roster to keep our name out there among schools who are kind to non-US players.

I'm not saying to completely do away with our international presence, like you said having 1 or 2 players a season is good for me.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: classof2014 on May 07, 2013, 07:45:20 PM9 from Illinois and 5 from Indiana
I was about to post something about this--well done.

Certainly you can stock SEVERAL good D1 teams just from our great state and our tax-friendly neighbors--which is why so many do.  (Look at all the Hoosier staters on Michigan's roster for example.)

I see where you're coming from, Tx, but without wanting to sound nativist, we went international out of necessity.  It's a sign of the changing times that doors once closed to us are opening. 

I think it stands to reason that if we can be really good with local players, our upside/attendance/interest will be much higher than the same season with people from other hemispheres.  I know you're not pushing affirmative action, but endowing one of the scholarships as the "Marko Punda Chair For International Kukoc Relations" just do have one isn't as good as finding Raitis Jr.

agibson

Quote from: classof2014 on May 07, 2013, 07:45:20 PMErick Locke -- Chicago IL
CJ Rivers -- Cahokia IL
Jevon Carter -- Maywood IL
Darreon Reddick -- Belleville IL
Nick Rogers -- Whitestown IN
Aaron Jordan -- Plainfield IL
Ryan Fazekas -- Michigan City IN
Matt Holba -- Chesterton IN

I've lost track of the most recent developments.

What's this collection of names?  Guys we've extended offers to?  Visits?  Or just "players of interest" more generally?

LaPorteAveApostle