• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

If, and this is a BIG if...

Started by Crusader03, December 04, 2011, 08:20:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crusader03

...Ladd ends up transferring to Evansville, hot on the heels of Bryan Bouchie, do we start to ask the question of "What the heck is going on here??!?"  I'm not sure on the rules regarding tampering, but is it worth looking into? I'm hoping pgmado, rlh or another of our media guys (ahem...sectionee), might be able to give us the 411

ValpoHoops

There's nothing going on, just two separate cases of kids deciding that they wanted to be closer to home.

Bouchie was clearly never a good fit, transferred back home and never was able to get things straightened out, and Ladd is simply homesick. With everything going on around the team and the rough start to the season, its very easily for a kid to get homesick, especially during their freshman year.

Nothing else to read into...

Crusader03

Quote from: ValpoHoops on December 04, 2011, 08:32:49 PM
There's nothing going on, just two separate cases of kids deciding that they wanted to be closer to home.

Bouchie was clearly never a good fit, transferred back home and never was able to get things straightened out, and Ladd is simply homesick. With everything going on around the team and the rough start to the season, its very easily for a kid to get homesick, especially during their freshman year.

That's a good point...you're probably right on this one

jack

Quote from: Crusader03 on December 04, 2011, 08:51:38 PM
Quote from: ValpoHoops on December 04, 2011, 08:32:49 PM

That's a good point...you're probably right on this one

There was talk during the all star week that Ladd wasn't comfortable being away for just that short period of time. Nothing more, nothing less. I give her credit for trying, but I believe the writting was on the wall on this one. She's a great kid, and I wish her the best - Some kids just don't function well away from their safety zone. It's not for everyone. I just wish she would have worked through this season, as the school, and team have a ton invested in her to this point, counting the hours of traveling during the recruiting process. At least she got her China visit off her bucket list!

valpotx

I imagine she can redshirt since she will have played in less than 20% of games by season's end?  That is probably why the decision was made now?
"Don't mess with Texas"

agibson

I thought a redshirt, after the athlete's played games, had to be for cause?  With an injury being, perhaps, the only acceptable cause.

valpotx

"Don't mess with Texas"

KL31NY

As I understand it, you can only CHOOSE to redshirt if you want to sit out the whole season (adjust to college, performance level, etc.) or if you undergo an incapacitating injury early in the season (different criteria exist for different injuries and timing of injuries apparently having found an old copy of the NCAA bylaws). There, of course, is also redshirts for transfers which vary among sports and the length or enforcement of any depends on different sports to be played and other facts.

The whole thing can get somewhat complicated, but I think those are the general notes on redshirting. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong so we all can have the same understanding.
"Confidence is huge: believing you're better than the other guy gives you an advantage."
–Jason Kendall, Throwback, pp. 176

Crusader03

I believe agibson is correct on this one.

agibson

Quote from: Crusader03 on December 05, 2011, 05:31:18 PM
I believe agibson is correct on this one.

And, just to be clear, everything KL31NY said is consistent with what I said. I'd not heard about different guidelines for different injuries - interesting!

FWalum

Quote from: Crusader03 on December 04, 2011, 08:20:23 PM
...Ladd ends up transferring to Evansville, hot on the heels of Bryan Bouchie, do we start to ask the question of "What the heck is going on here??!?"  I'm not sure on the rules regarding tampering, but is it worth looking into? I'm hoping pgmado, rlh or another of our media guys (ahem...sectionee), might be able to give us the 411
As has already been stated, I don't believe there is anything going on.  UE is a very good school and has a good engineering school and great theater and archaeology programs.  I sat on the Parents board there for four years and know a good number of the administrators. I don't think they would stand for that kind of thing if it were known to them.  I will say this though, they are keenly aware of Valpo it's engineering program and our rank in US News. VU was mentioned very frequently in our conversations of similar schools.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

Crusader03

Quote from: FWalum on December 06, 2011, 07:54:55 AM
As has already been stated, I don't believe there is anything going on.  UE is a very good school and has a good engineering school and great theater and archaeology programs.  I sat on the Parents board there for four years and know a good number of the administrators. I don't think they would stand for that kind of thing if it were known to them.  I will say this though, they are keenly aware of Valpo it's engineering program and our rank in US News. VU was mentioned very frequently in our conversations of similar schools.

This is exactly the impression I've gotten from my UE connections---there is subtle inferiority complexity when it comes to Valpo.  I think that was part of what fueled my initial post.

jack

I can just about guarantee that UE has been after Ladd since middle school. Who wouldn't have been. I'm sure she was courted by many teams, and Valpo offered something she was looking for, and still within the State. I suspect her concerns of leaving the nest were a topic of discussion, not only with Valpo, but UE and others as well. If the folks at UE were smart, they congratulated her on her decission and opportunity at Valpo, while telling her, if it didn't work out.............Hell, I would have. Again, not everyone is ready for the independence and the added resposibilties of leaving home, on top of the schooling, and just need a bit more time. Again, I wished she would have given it a year, as a lot can happen in a year, and she may have gotten over the anxiety and adjusted to the fact that, at some point, we have to jump from the nest and learn to fly.

Crusader03

Quote from: jack on December 06, 2011, 11:43:46 AM
I can just about guarantee that UE has been after Ladd since middle school. Who wouldn't have been. I'm sure she was courted by many teams, and Valpo offered something she was looking for, and still within the State. I suspect her concerns of leaving the nest were a topic of discussion, not only with Valpo, but UE and others as well. If the folks at UE were smart, they congratulated her on her decission and opportunity at Valpo, while telling her, if it didn't work out.............Hell, I would have. Again, not everyone is ready for the independence and the added resposibilties of leaving home, on top of the schooling, and just need a bit more time. Again, I wished she would have given it a year, as a lot can happen in a year, and she may have gotten over the anxiety and adjusted to the fact that, at some point, we have to jump from the nest and learn to fly.

So, Jack, straight up....do you think Evansville has already put a call into Ladd?  Or maybe vice-versa?

bbtds

Quote from: Crusader03 on December 07, 2011, 10:40:03 PMSo, Jack, straight up

You must spend some time in bars drinking?  That would explain a lot.  ;)

jack

Quote from: Crusader03 on December 07, 2011, 10:40:03 PM
Quote from: jack on December 06, 2011, 11:43:46 AM

So, Jack, straight up....do you think Evansville has already put a call into Ladd?  Or maybe vice-versa?
I have it from a reliable source that it's a done deal. She quit playing when she did, will finish out this year, and in January, she'll transfer to UE. She will be able to start playing with the team in Jan. 2013. Nothing is ever certain, but that's the way I understand the scenario. Let's face it, The scenario we all were banking on was 4 productive seasons here. It'll be interesting to see, when that door closed, what door it will open. Things happen for a reason, and there might just be that "perfect" fit out there waiting to fill the spot she vacated.

Crusader03

Sounds like my theory wasn't so crazy after all, huh guys?

valporun

Crusader '03, I'll agree with this theory about Ladd before I'll ever stand by Lady 'Saders catching on, only because the way the name sounds is absurd.

Crusader03

Quote from: valporun on December 08, 2011, 10:22:31 AM
Crusader '03, I'll agree with this theory about Ladd before I'll ever stand by Lady 'Saders catching on, only because the way the name sounds is absurd.

Well, we can definitely agree to disagree on the NN!

In terms of my theory, I had an inkling that I could be right...but I admit that I am surprised that the truth has come out so quickly.  Thanks for the info Jack!  As usual, you've outdone yourself.

covufan

Crusader03

Quote from: bbtds on December 08, 2011, 04:43:51 AM
Quote from: Crusader03 on December 07, 2011, 10:40:03 PMSo, Jack, straight up

You must spend some time in bars drinking?  That would explain a lot.  ;)

He'll be here all week ladies and gentlemen!  :lol:

covufan

Quote from: Crusader03 on December 08, 2011, 08:05:52 AM
Theory, what theory???  That she was going to transfer to UE?  That there was tampering?  Anyone on this board could have told you she was going to UE. 

Here's a theory for you - Anyone that posts "Lady 'Saders" is a  :-X.

bbtds

Quote from: covufan on December 09, 2011, 04:41:40 PM
Quote from: Crusader03 on December 08, 2011, 08:05:52 AM
Theory, what theory???  That she was going to transfer to UE?  That there was tampering?  Anyone on this board could have told you she was going to UE. 

Here's a theory for you - Anyone that posts "Lady 'Saders" is a  :-X.

I concur.

Bring back the Cru!

milanmiracle

I'll go one better, since we're coming up with rediculous names for the womens basketball team (see Lady 'Saders), how about we shorten it even further to the L'ders!
"Tragedy is losing 86-7 and then having ESPN calling the press box and asking if the score is actually correct." - pgmado

valporun

Quote from: milanmiracle on December 10, 2011, 01:40:03 PM

I'll go one better, since we're coming up with rediculous names for the womens basketball team (see Lady 'Saders), how about we shorten it even further to the L'ders!

Don't feed Crusader '03...