• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

The "Butler Hangover"

Started by wh, January 20, 2012, 12:43:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wh

From the Butler board after last night's win:

I believe the "Butler Hangover" is certainly overstated, but there is no doubt in my mind it does exist. Players/teams are thinking more about playing the team that went to 2 straight final fours than they are Valpo. I don't care what the conference standings say this early.

Yeah, they were thinking about the F-150 they're going to be playing on Sat. instead of the Mack truck that was running over them at the time.  It's always sad when people start living in the past... 

StlVUFan

Quote from: wh on January 20, 2012, 12:43:27 PM

I believe the "Butler Hangover" is certainly overstated, but there is no doubt in my mind it does exist. Players/teams are thinking more about playing the team that went to 2 straight final fours than they are Valpo. I don't care what the conference standings say this early.

Yeah, they were thinking about the F-150 they're going to be playing on Sat. instead of the Mack truck that was running over them at the time.  It's always sad when people start living in the past... 

Huh?  Your sarcasm is misfiring for me.  For one thing, I have no idea what an F-150 is, so that probably hurts my comprehension ;)  For another thing, it sounds like the point in the quote is the exact opposite of your re-statement.

???

valporun

Quote from: StlVUFan on January 20, 2012, 01:31:00 PM

Huh?  Your sarcasm is misfiring for me.  For one thing, I have no idea what an F-150 is, so that probably hurts my comprehension ;)  For another thing, it sounds like the point in the quote is the exact opposite of your re-statement.

???

He's using a truck analogy, Stl. MACK vs. FORD F-150. Butler is the high water mark of the conference. Anymore, if you beat Butler, you feel like you're immortal, and can't be beaten. Then you come to lowly Valpo off the emotional high, and YOU TANK!! Opponents trap themselves after the Butler game because they put so much into that game, and forget that Valpo can be just as dangerous. From what I've seen over the time we've been in the league, if you can sweep the Indiana trip, you might just win the conference, or make some real noise because you'll be the new team that everyone is watching out for.

StlVUFan

Quote from: valporun on January 20, 2012, 02:20:43 PM
Quote from: StlVUFan on January 20, 2012, 01:31:00 PM

???

He's using a truck analogy, Stl. MACK vs. FORD F-150. Butler is the high water mark of the conference. Anymore, if you beat Butler, you feel like you're immortal, and can't be beaten. Then you come to lowly Valpo off the emotional high, and YOU TANK!! Opponents trap themselves after the Butler game because they put so much into that game, and forget that Valpo can be just as dangerous. From what I've seen over the time we've been in the league, if you can sweep the Indiana trip, you might just win the conference, or make some real noise because you'll be the new team that everyone is watching out for.

Then what's wrong with what the Butler fan posted on their message board?

I figured out what you just explained already.  I don't get the point of the original poke at Butler fans.

cmack

I think the inference is that some Butler fans think Valpo is not a very good team.  We simply benefit from being a travel partner with them.  I think this belief merits a poke from a Valpo fan here and there.

StlVUFan

Quote from: cmack on January 20, 2012, 04:13:57 PM
I think the inference is that some Butler fans think Valpo is not a very good team.  We simply benefit from being a travel partner with them.  I think this belief merits a poke from a Valpo fan here and there.

3rd time's the charm.  I think I get it now ;)

wh

I guess you have to be a regular visitor to the Butler board like I am in order to understand the context.  For the past 4 years that we have been their travel partner, BU fans have regularly referred to the Butler hangover or Butler effect in the aftermath of one of our wins.  If we beat someone that Butler was going to play 2 days later, that team was looking ahead.  If we beat someone Butler beat 2 days earlier, they were suffering from a Butler hangover.  It's just one of a hundred ways that a-hole Butler fans have shown their arrogance toward us and other Horizon League teams since we've been part of the league.  Just call it the Classless Butler Fan Way.  Given their mediocre record and ongoing challenges this year, it's a reference that doesn't make any sense anymore and yet there are still idiots over there trying to apply it - thus my comment about living in the past.  Beyond that, hopefully everyone else understands the difference between an F-150 and a Mack truck.

StlVUFan

Quote from: wh on January 20, 2012, 04:48:01 PM

I guess you have to be a regular visitor to the Butler board like I am in order to understand the context.  For the past 4 years that we have been their travel partner, BU fans have regularly referred to the Butler hangover or Butler effect in the aftermath of one of our wins.  If we beat someone that Butler was going to play 2 days later, that team was looking ahead.  If we beat someone Butler beat 2 days earlier, they were suffering from a Butler hangover.  It's just one of a hundred ways that a-hole Butler fans have shown their arrogance toward us and other Horizon League teams since we've been part of the league.  Just call it the Classless Butler Fan Way.  Given their mediocre record and ongoing challenges this year, it's a reference that doesn't make any sense anymore and yet there are still idiots over there trying to apply it - thus my comment about living in the past.  Beyond that, hopefully everyone else understands the difference between an F-150 and a Mack truck.

I'm well aware of all that.  I just had trouble deciphering your metaphor, that's all.  And I have never seen an F-150 in my life, wouldn't be able to identify it if it were in front of my nose (and no, I don't really care, either).

That said: if I was a Butler fan, I would probably shy away from such sentiments this year.  As a Valpo fan, I still buy the sentiment as valid -- both ways -- until a new dynasty is established.  We were ahead of them in the standings last year around this time, too.

The sentiment is debatable, sure.  But I don't think it's a-hole-like myself.

agibson

Quote from: StlVUFan on January 20, 2012, 05:06:59 PMAnd I have never seen an F-150 in my life

The best-selling vehicle in the US for 20+ years?  You may not recognize one, but you've seen plenty.

StlVUFan

Quote from: agibson on January 20, 2012, 05:34:30 PM
Quote from: StlVUFan on January 20, 2012, 05:06:59 PMAnd I have never seen an F-150 in my life

The best-selling vehicle in the US for 20+ years?  You may not recognize one, but you've seen plenty.

<shrug>

bbtds

I have a feeling you don't see anything, Stl, unless it directly impacts your life in front of your eyes at the time. Many people suffer from the same affliction. It's human nature.

StlVUFan

Quote from: bbtds on January 20, 2012, 06:05:25 PM
I have a feeling you don't see anything, Stl, unless it directly impacts your life in front of your eyes at the time. Many people suffer from the same affliction. It's human nature.

Oh please.  What difference does it make if I know what an F-150 looks like or not?  :crazy:

bbtds

Quote from: StlVUFan on January 20, 2012, 06:06:58 PM

Oh please.  What difference does it make if I know what an F-150 looks like or not?  :crazy:

It matters a lot if someone yells "move, there's an F-150 about to hit you!"

StlVUFan

Quote from: bbtds on January 20, 2012, 06:13:31 PM
Quote from: StlVUFan on January 20, 2012, 06:06:58 PM

It matters a lot if someone yells "move, there's an F-150 about to hit you!"

Uh, if something's about to hit me, it matters not what it's called.  ::)

lowposter

Not sure if I could identify an F150 either (originally thought it was an Air Force jet) although I could id a Freightliner 386.

What road trip isnt difficult?  The Chicago circuit is a bit weak this year, but Wisconsin is a killer, Detroit/Dayton is pretty tough and CSU/YSU isnt a stroll in the park.

It is a great year for the HL.

lowposter

valporun

Quote from: lowposter on January 20, 2012, 07:07:38 PMWhat road trip isnt difficult?  The Chicago circuit is a bit weak this year, but Wisconsin is a killer, Detroit/Dayton is pretty tough and CSU/YSU isnt a stroll in the park.

I agree with you here, but since Valpo joined the HL, NO ONE has swept the Indiana trip. That's significant because we're getting consideration as a game to pay attention to.

bbtds

Quote from: lowposter on January 20, 2012, 07:07:38 PMNot sure if I could identify an F150 either (originally thought it was an Air Force jet) although I could id a Freightliner 386.

I have to agree. If someone said "move, an F-150 is about to hit you" I would probably look up. :-)

Valpo89

St.L - An F-150 is simply a Ford truck. Have you ever seen commercial for Ford trucks? They only play them every commercial break on sporting events.
By no means am I a gear head, but an F-150 is the smaller version. F-250 is bigger, and then there is the F-350 that sounds like a damn semi.

lowposter

When I left the YMCA yesterday, a F 150 was parked next to my car.  I walked around it once.  Nice looking truck.  Thanks to this forum, I now know what a F 150 looks like.

lowposter

VUfan

blackpantheruwm

I think the fact that we beat you guys and then lost at Butler means we had a "Valpo Hangover."  It's what comes when you play a taxing game against a very good team and then have trouble getting up for one who isn't so good.

There may be no better example of Butler fans' delusional thinking.

sectionee

Quote from: blackpantheruwm on January 27, 2012, 02:41:34 AMI think the fact that we beat you guys and then lost at Butler means we had a "Valpo Hangover."  It's what comes when you play a taxing game against a very good team and then have trouble getting up for one who isn't so good.

There may be no better example of Butler fans' delusional thinking.
So you are saying we shouldn't expect a let down Saturday after your win on Thursday?  Rats!

DMvalpo18

forget the F-150 thing! what i want to know is why is the wisconsin trip impossible for us to sweep? is there something about the travel that messes us up? i mean, we are good enough to do it, right?

Nildogg

You are welcome for the win.    ;)

okinawatyphoon

They continue to blame us for their losses on their board. Unbelievable! I guess we are the reason they lost to Evansville too? Probably.
http://buhoops.yuku.com/topic/8293/I-m-sick-of-Valpo-riding-our-coat-tails-to-wins?page=1#.TyW3JPF5mK0
Valpo '10, Valpo Admission Network
US Air Force, Sigma Phi Epsilon