• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Leke Solanke- Recruit Profile

Started by Crusader03, February 20, 2012, 06:06:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crusader03

http://www.valpofanzone.com/2012/02/20/leke-solanke-2012/

Wish Valpo would offer this kid...fantastic athlete with ridiculous upside

Valpo89

I saw him play one game for MC Marquette. He doesn't even start for them.
Yes, he is athletic. He can dunk. He can block shots of high school kids. But he's very, very raw.
If they gave him a scholarship for next year, he would have to redshirt - for sure.

Crusader03

Quote from: Valpo89 on February 20, 2012, 07:22:23 PM
Yes, he is athletic. He can dunk. He can block shots of high school kids. But he's very, very raw.
If they gave him a scholarship for next year, he would have to redshirt - for sure.

I wouldn't put much stock in that...we're talking about a program with at least three division I players and they are only 11-9.  From people close to the program, the coaching has left something to be desired.

He is raw...but not as far away from being a college contributor as you are insinuating.  Obviously, several mid-majors agree with that assessment.  I don't think it is a foregone conclusion that he redshirts wherever he ends up.

milanmiracle

Quote from: Crusader03 on February 20, 2012, 08:02:15 PM

I wouldn't put much stock in that...we're talking about a program with at least three division I players and they are only 11-9.  From people close to the program, the coaching has left something to be desired.

He is raw...but not as far away from being a college contributor as you are insinuating.  Obviously, several mid-majors agree with that assessment.  I don't think it is a foregone conclusion that he redshirts wherever he ends up.

Without looking up the schedule, how on earth are you 11-9 with 3 D1 players at Marquette? They're playing Westville and teams of that ilk. Either the coaching staff is awful with a capital A, or they scheduled WAY up knowing they had 3 D1 players.
"Tragedy is losing 86-7 and then having ESPN calling the press box and asking if the score is actually correct." - pgmado

wh

Quote from: milanmiracle on February 21, 2012, 03:02:32 PM
Quote from: Crusader03 on February 20, 2012, 08:02:15 PM

Without looking up the schedule, how on earth are you 11-9 with 3 D1 players at Marquette? They're playing Westville and teams of that ilk. Either the coaching staff is awful with a capital A, or they scheduled WAY up knowing they had 3 D1 players.

I agree.  Something is not right.

valporun

If playing UP includes a schedule involving Porter County Conference schools, and other small scale schools around Hammond, Whiting, Gary, Hebron, and the like, then MC Marquette has awful coaching. Some of the schools seem like they should be beaten soundly, if Marquette really had 3 D-I players? Or is that someone who is just looking at the stats and seeing inflated averages because they think they know what their talking about?

zvillehaze

If you want stats, no better reference than Earl "The Pearl" Mishler's website.  Earl's been around so long that he covered a few of my HS games when he was writing for the South Bend Trib.  :o  I can't imagine the amount of time he's put into his site, but any basketball fan from Northern Indiana can easily spend a few hours digging through the data (hopefully while at work!)

http://www.amoraconsulting.net/clients/etpearl/school_info.php?id=1156&rost=1  <---Totals and averages

http://www.amoraconsulting.net/clients/etpearl/school_info.php?id=1156&schd=1 <--- Box scores

FWalum

The stats are not particularly impressive. Looking at the roster is would appear that they should just physically dominate most high school teams.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

valporun

I hope Solanke had some blocks, or the ability to open up the perimeter a little more, ala Kevin, but if he's a project, we don't need another Vucic for awhile.

lowposter

High school basketball is a guard game.   The three D1 potential players at Marquette (and they will be D1 players), are 6'6 freshman, 6'8 junior, and 6'8" senior.  The guard talent on the team is not to this standard, not even close.

Leke is considerably more talented than given credit on this board...and that is ok.  He has 7 D1 offers, including a Big East offer.  He needs work, no doubt, but his potential upside is enormous. 

He has the ability to change games IMMEDIATELY on the defensive end.  He attacks the basket, both on the offensive and defensive ends of the floor. 

There is a reason the majority of recruiting evaluation occurs during the AAU season.  The difference between high school basketball for most programs and the AAU programs is night and day.  If a player can maximize the experiences between both, a very special player develops.  Robbie Hummel is a prime example.  He exploded on the scene on his 16U AAU team (SYF)...he was a bench player a couple of months earlier at VHS.  He blended both experiences - the fundamentals and patterns of VHS and the opportunities to showcase on the AAU circuit. 

Do not sell Leke short based on what is occuring at MC Marquette this winter.

lowposter

lowposter

Let's also not forget that 7 months ago this young man was in Africa.  He has had a world of change in a short period of time.

DMvalpo18

I know he is a good player with the ability to change things defensively. I wonder what bryce could say to him to get him to come to valpo instead of going somewhere bigger. That is, assuming bryce really decides he wants him.

Crusader03

Quote from: lowposter on February 21, 2012, 05:33:52 PM
High school basketball is a guard game.   The three D1 potential players at Marquette (and they will be D1 players), are 6'6 freshman, 6'8 junior, and 6'8" senior.  The guard talent on the team is not to this standard, not even close.

Leke is considerably more talented than given credit on this board...and that is ok.  He has 7 D1 offers, including a Big East offer.  He needs work, no doubt, but his potential upside is enormous. 

He has the ability to change games IMMEDIATELY on the defensive end.  He attacks the basket, both on the offensive and defensive ends of the floor. 

There is a reason the majority of recruiting evaluation occurs during the AAU season.  The difference between high school basketball for most programs and the AAU programs is night and day.  If a player can maximize the experiences between both, a very special player develops.  Robbie Hummel is a prime example.  He exploded on the scene on his 16U AAU team (SYF)...he was a bench player a couple of months earlier at VHS.  He blended both experiences - the fundamentals and patterns of VHS and the opportunities to showcase on the AAU circuit. 

Do not sell Leke short based on what is occuring at MC Marquette this winter.

lowposter

lowposter is RIGHT on the money...if you haven't seen Leke play (or only seen one game), you don't really have a picture of the talent this kid has.  He has potential to be a very good D1 player at a high level.  Comparing him in any sense to Vucic is ridiculous...Leke would dominate Vucic right now, both physically and skill-wise.

Forget the stats...I'm not looking at stats or making judgements based on stats.  Watch the kids play and look at their offers and then tell me I'm making judgements based on stats.  They most certainly do have three D1 players...in fact, Fazekas (the freshman) actually has an offer from VU. 

Marquette should be much more successful than they are right now...and Leke is the type of player that Valpo NEEDS.  We probably won't get him, but I would take him over almost any other player we are recruiting or have a verbal from. 

Crusader03

Quote from: valporun on February 21, 2012, 04:31:18 PM
If playing UP includes a schedule involving Porter County Conference schools, and other small scale schools around Hammond, Whiting, Gary, Hebron, and the like, then MC Marquette has awful coaching. Some of the schools seem like they should be beaten soundly, if Marquette really had 3 D-I players? Or is that someone who is just looking at the stats and seeing inflated averages because they think they know what their talking about?

Not sure if you're referring to me....if so, I think it is clear who is speaking without knowledge here.

DMvalpo18

Quote from: Crusader03 on February 21, 2012, 10:43:56 PM
Quote from: valporun on February 21, 2012, 04:31:18 PM

Not sure if you're referring to me....if so, I think it is clear who is speaking without knowledge here.

03, I can understand people maybe not fully trusting your credibility due to some of your past posting. But in this case, I have absolutely no doubt that you are accurately reporting the truth.

valpotx

Is the Fazekas kid related to Nick Fazekas, ex-Nevada stud?
"Don't mess with Texas"

Crusader03

Ryan Fazekas 6'6" 185 lbs. Class of 2015 G/F

Fazeka's highlights....the kid has a sweet touch and is a long, athletic guard.  Looking at him, Yeo and Davidson gives you an idea of the kind of guard Bryce might be recruiting on a regular basis.  The kid can play.

Oh, and one other tidbit...if we're not all over Matt Holba from Chesterton, we're out of our minds.  6'6" freshman guard/forward with interest from Indiana, Michigan, Purdue, and Michigan State.  Check out this highlight from his 8th grade season....

Greatest 8th Grade 14U Dunk Class of 2015 Matt Holba Indiana Thunder  That's coming from an 8th grader...crazy stuff.  And from the little I've seen and read, the kid has a game far beyond just some dunks.

valporun

I watched the Fazekas highlights, and honestly, I'd like to see him in some games where the opponent is more at his level, not looking like a freshman team posing as the varsity team at some of the smaller schools in NW Indiana. From the video, he looked like he could outplay the weak opponent by himself offensively. I'd definitely like to see more video of what he can do against a defense or player than can matchup with him.

The 8th grader...wish there was more to see than a dunk.

Crusader03

Quote from: valporun on February 22, 2012, 06:37:53 PM
I watched the Fazekas highlights, and honestly, I'd like to see him in some games where the opponent is more at his level, not looking like a freshman team posing as the varsity team at some of the smaller schools in NW Indiana. From the video, he looked like he could outplay the weak opponent by himself offensively. I'd definitely like to see more video of what he can do against a defense or player than can matchup with him.

Boy, you're pretty good at analyzing 5 second clips and deciding that some of these teams are freshman level, small school teams at best....they play Wheeler, Bishop Noll, Hobart, Whiting, Lake Station, Hebron among others...these are all good teams (Noll and Hebron have been GREAT).  I'm not going to go back and check out all his stats...but he had 13 against Noll, arguably one of the best teams in the state. 

I just don't see how you are judging the teams in the film from what you're seeing in those brief seconds...look at their schedule, look at his stats, watch the kid play and look at his offer sheet.  Trust Bryce that the kid can play. 

milanmiracle

Quote from: Crusader03 on February 22, 2012, 07:54:12 PM

Boy, you're pretty good at analyzing 5 second clips and deciding that some of these teams are freshman level, small school teams at best....they play Wheeler, Bishop Noll, Hobart, Whiting, Lake Station, Hebron among others...these are all good teams (Noll and Hebron have been GREAT).  I'm not going to go back and check out all his stats...but he had 13 against Noll, arguably one of the best teams in the state. 

I just don't see how you are judging the teams in the film from what you're seeing in those brief seconds...look at their schedule, look at his stats, watch the kid play and look at his offer sheet.  Trust Bryce that the kid can play. 

I won't argue if they kids can play or not...however.

Really, Hebron has been great? Okay. They're 19-1 and in class 2A, yet over half their wins have come against 1A competition. I wouldn't use the word great. If you want to see a great 2A school, come see Park Tudor and the'll hand Hebron ___ on a platter. Tudor has played 8 3A or 4A schools. It's much easier to judge Yogi Ferrell and Trevon Bluiett against #2 (19-5) 4A Indianapolis North Central. Throw in the fact they are coached by former Wright State head coach Ed Schilling Jr. and you have something in 2A.

Watched Adonis Filer against Park Tudor last year in the finals, and he played even with, or in my opinion better than Yogi Ferrell (IU). I'll be interested to see what he does when he gets to Clemson.

For the record, I'll trust Bryce.
"Tragedy is losing 86-7 and then having ESPN calling the press box and asking if the score is actually correct." - pgmado

Crusader03

Quote from: milanmiracle on February 22, 2012, 09:41:18 PM

Really, Hebron has been great? Okay. They're 19-1 and in class 2A, yet over half their wins have come against 1A competition. I wouldn't use the word great. If you want to see a great 2A school, come see Park Tudor and the'll hand Hebron ___ on a platter. Tudor has played 8 3A or 4A schools. It's much easier to judge Yogi Ferrell and Trevon Bluiett against #2 (19-5) 4A Indianapolis North Central. Throw in the fact they are coached by former Wright State head coach Ed Schilling Jr. and you have something in 2A.

Watched Adonis Filer against Park Tudor last year in the finals, and he played even with, or in my opinion better than Yogi Ferrell (IU). I'll be interested to see what he does when he gets to Clemson.

Oh, I won't disagree with you on the assessment you're making here about Hebron in the big picture.  But I think it would be unfair for me to label Hebron as simply "good" at 19-1. 

valporun

1A and 2A schools aren't going to be packed with a roster full of D-I athletes all over 6'2" or better. Also, you can get a good idea considering how he towers over some of the kids who couldn't get off the ground against him. I did see the schedule, and while MC Marquette might have 3 kids who could have D-I offers, and someone said they scheduled UP, but based on what I saw, you can schedule UP with no problem, but when you're scheduling the lower level teams of the next class up from where you are, you're not really challenging your roster to be anything more than mediocre to highlight one player who the coach or community wants to get a good D-I scholarship for. Never helps a team to be working to help one player get to a D-I college, when they aren't allowed to do anything but pass him the ball.

Crusader03

Quote from: valporun on February 22, 2012, 10:22:54 PM
1A and 2A schools aren't going to be packed with a roster full of D-I athletes all over 6'2" or better. Also, you can get a good idea considering how he towers over some of the kids who couldn't get off the ground against him. I did see the schedule, and while MC Marquette might have 3 kids who could have D-I offers, and someone said they scheduled UP, but based on what I saw, you can schedule UP with no problem, but when you're scheduling the lower level teams of the next class up from where you are, you're not really challenging your roster to be anything more than mediocre to highlight one player who the coach or community wants to get a good D-I scholarship for. Never helps a team to be working to help one player get to a D-I college, when they aren't allowed to do anything but pass him the ball.

There are so many holes in this, I have no idea where to start.

milanmiracle

Quote from: Crusader03 on February 22, 2012, 09:49:53 PM
Quote from: milanmiracle on February 22, 2012, 09:41:18 PM

Oh, I won't disagree with you on the assessment you're making here about Hebron in the big picture.  But I think it would be unfair for me to label Hebron as simply "good" at 19-1. 

The worst part about all of this discussion...with a single class tournament you'd know right away if they were great or not. I digress...

IndyValpo

Quote from: milanmiracle on February 23, 2012, 06:23:57 AMThe worst part about all of this discussion...with a single class tournament you'd know right away if they were great or not. I digress...

Pray tell how would we know at this point with a single class tourney whether or not Hebron was good or great? They would have played the exact schedule, have the exact record and be heading into the Kankakee Valley sectional to play teams that are a variety of sizes but none that are basketball powers.