• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Capobianco/Vashil (ee, DMV, 72, et al)

Started by Crusader03, February 23, 2012, 08:56:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crusader03

How do you see these two fitting in with next year's team?  With us returning everyone, either they won't play or some players get bumped from the rotation.  Is the rotation crunch as simple as Vucic not playing and another guard getting less time when we go big? Do we see Ryan slide down to the 3 and Capobianco/Edwards start alongside Van Wijk?  With Vashil being somewhat raw, does he just play in spurts or is he too good an athlete to keep off the floor?

If you guys had to guess now, what do you think the starting five is for next year?  I'm thinking

1- Buggs
2- Bogan
3- Broekhoff
4- Edwards
5- Van Wijk

With Kenney, Boggs, Harris, Fernandez, and Capobianco getting major minutes off the bench...that team is loaded!  I believe it is a team that could make a significant run in the tourney.  Look at the depth---the 2nd five is close to as good as the 1st five, and in this case that is a great thing.

vuweathernerd

Quote from: Crusader03 on February 23, 2012, 08:56:52 AM
How do you see these two fitting in with next year's team?  With us returning everyone, either they won't play or some players get bumped from the rotation.  Is the rotation crunch as simple as Vucic not playing and another guard getting less time when we go big? Do we see Ryan slide down to the 3 and Capobianco/Edwards start alongside Van Wijk?  With Vashil being somewhat raw, does he just play in spurts or is he too good an athlete to keep off the floor?

If you guys had to guess now, what do you think the starting five is for next year?  I'm thinking

1- Buggs
2- Bogan
3- Broekhoff
4- Edwards
5- Van Wijk

With Kenney, Boggs, Harris, Fernandez, and Capobianco getting major minutes off the bench...that team is loaded!  I believe it is a team that could make a significant run in the tourney.  Look at the depth---the 2nd five is close to as good as the 1st five, and in this case that is a great thing.

there's been a lot of talk (in the game chats on here) about the possibility of sliding kevin out to the 4 and starting capobianco at the 5. hopefully he can be the physical presence that kvw has been, and we can have bangers at both the low and high post slots. though it'd be really interesting to see how things would have played out with bangers down low and a finesse guy like cory at the 4. either way, i like that we'll have the depth to push rowdy out to a more traditional 3 guard role. i like the role that richie has played coming off the bench, but him starting and its effect on the rest of the lineup will ultimately depend on how everything goes in the fall once practice starts up. but it's definitely shaping up to be a fun year next year.

i really hope that fernandez and vucic bulk up. 7-1/245 and 6-10/220 are not exactly bulky height/weight ratios. there are plenty of good players that aren't built like trucks, but i'd like to see the pair of them get a little bigger before the start of next season. by comparison, kvw is 6-8/230, and capo is 6-9/250.

MattCarter

Quote from: Crusader03 on February 23, 2012, 08:56:52 AMHow do you see these two fitting in with next year's team?  With us returning everyone, either they won't play or some players get bumped from the rotation.  Is the rotation crunch as simple as Vucic not playing and another guard getting less time when we go big? Do we see Ryan slide down to the 3 and Capobianco/Edwards start alongside Van Wijk?  With Vashil being somewhat raw, does he just play in spurts or is he too good an athlete to keep off the floor? If you guys had to guess now, what do you think the starting five is for next year?  I'm thinking 1- Buggs 2- Bogan 3- Broekhoff 4- Edwards 5- Van Wijk With Kenney, Boggs, Harris, Fernandez, and Capobianco getting major minutes off the bench...that team is loaded!  I believe it is a team that could make a significant run in the tourney.  Look at the depth---the 2nd five is close to as good as the 1st five, and in this case that is a great thing.
Hard to comment on Vashil, but thinking he won't be able to start right away...here is what I would like to see

1. Buggs
2. Rowdy
3. Edwards
4. Bobby
5. KVW
The two greatest things on earth?  Short hair cuts and Valpo Victories!

vu72

A very interesting question and a better problem to have!  The video we've seen of Capo shows he can bang and also shoot the 3.  Call him a more versatile Kevin.  My guess is that Vashil gets limited time next year as he still is learning and the following two will be his time, although Bobby will be with us for the next two.  Vashil brings shot blocking like we haven't had since Raitis, so, another piece to the puzzle.

The guard play should be pretty much unchanged and my guess is that everyone gets a few less minutes or Bryce will just focus on whomever has the hot hand--really no different than this year.

The biggest difference between this year and next is the depth up front.  If Kevin gets hurt this year, we have to go to Richie in the middle,(not his normal position) and as FWAlum has said, we lose a dimension to our game that Richie can't duplicate.  Next year you can bring in Capo and probably not lose a beat.  We also could go very athletic playing Richie, Vashil and Rowdy together up front.

I just really like all of the new options brought in via these two "big" additions!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

FWalum

Quote from: Crusader03 on February 23, 2012, 08:56:52 AMIf you guys had to guess now, what do you think the starting five is for next year?  I'm thinking

1- Buggs
2- Bogan
3- Broekhoff
4- Edwards
5- Van Wijk
I don't think there is any doubt that your list could be the starting five.  However as I have stated before, Capobianco did not come to VU to be a bench player.  He was an ESPN top 100 player coming out of high school.  I don't know exactly what transpired at IU creating the lack of playing time, but this is a kid who should make a major impact at the Horizon League level.  I think Capobianco starts in place of Edwards and Bogan and Boggs become interchangeable.  Other line ups could put Ryan at the 2, Bobby and Kevin playing the 4 and the 5 and Edwards at the 3.  Edwards would have to show increased quickness for this combination to work.  Just my   :twocents:

QuoteBobby Capobianco, 6-8, 225, Forward, Loveland, Ohio, Loveland High School
Rated as the #100 prospect in the 2009 class by ESPN.com as well as the #33 power forward in the class ... averaged 21 points and 11 rebounds as a junior at Loveland High School after putting up averages of 18 points and 11 rebounds as a sophomore

Quote2009 Indiana Recruit -PF/C -Bobby Capobianco
Wt: 225
Ht: 6'8
ESPN: 100

Capobianco comes in with a reliable jump shot from the perimeter along with a great body for inside play. He'll be able to bounce between PF, C, and even at times the SF position.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

historyman

Quote from: FWalum on February 23, 2012, 11:05:25 AMCapobianco did not come to VU to be a bench player.

We've heard this theme a lot over the years and I'm not sure I understand it. Is Capobianco suddenly going to transfer again if he doesn't start at Valpo? Do you think Kenney, Harris or Boggs came to Valpo to sit on the bench? Even Broekhoff sits on the bench some games. Everyone wants to play as much as possible but they all know they have to earn it. I see Capobianco playing a lot but not necessarily starting. Maybe starting some games. What difference does it make if a guy plays over 20 minutes in a game but doesn't start the game?

vu72

Quote from: historyman on February 23, 2012, 11:39:42 AM
Quote from: FWalum on February 23, 2012, 11:05:25 AMCapobianco did not come to VU to be a bench player.

We've heard this theme a lot over the years and I'm not sure I understand it. Is Capobianco suddenly going to transfer again if he doesn't start at Valpo? Do you think Kenney, Harris or Boggs came to Valpo to sit on the bench? Even Broekhoff sits on the bench some games. Everyone wants to play as much as possible but they all know they have to earn it. I see Capobianco playing a lot but not necessarily starting. Maybe starting some games. What difference does it make if a guy plays over 20 minutes in a game but doesn't start the game?

historyman, I think you are over reading the comment.  Being a non-starter doesn't make you a bench player.  Tommy Kurth is a bench player, which I would define as someone with very limited average playing time, maybe less than 5 minutes per game, like, say, Vucic, as another example.

I see a 9 or even a ten player rotation and obviously, if one or two guys get a hot hand, they will stay in the game over simply rotating someone in to get them their "playing time".
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

lowposter

Lots of players, just opposite of this year at times, when there were not many bodies available. 

The key next year will be for everyone to buy into the system.  This year has been special...and it isnt over yet.  Next year, with 10 men rowing in the same direction could be outstanding. 

Remember tho, the HL is basically a quick league with emphasis on the "skilled" positions (1,2 & 3).  We have gotten great mileage out of the mismatch of Ryan playing the "4" even if he is a little undersized.  Not many traditional power forwards can keep up with him and his rebounding is so good that we do not miss the banger at 4. 

It will all work out next year, or else we will be scratching our heads.

Remember that chemistry is just about as important as talent.

lowposter

MattCarter

Quote from: lowposter on February 23, 2012, 04:15:51 PMLots of players, just opposite of this year at times, when there were not many bodies available. The key next year will be for everyone to buy into the system.  This year has been special...and it isnt over yet.  Next year, with 10 men rowing in the same direction could be outstanding. Remember tho, the HL is basically a quick league with emphasis on the "skilled" positions (1,2 & 3).  We have gotten great mileage out of the mismatch of Ryan playing the "4" even if he is a little undersized.  Not many traditional power forwards can keep up with him and his rebounding is so good that we do not miss the banger at 4. It will all work out next year, or else we will be scratching our heads. Remember that chemistry is just about as important as talent. lowposter
Well put.  I can remember thinking "man this team will be lucky to be .500" the first few games.
The two greatest things on earth?  Short hair cuts and Valpo Victories!

vu84v2

While many of you sort of touch on this, the whole key to next year is being able to play Broekhoff confidently at the three.  If Valpo can do that, they create huge matchup problems in the Horizon league.  Two big needs to get to that:  getting a quality rotation of three between KVW, Capobianco, Edwards and Fernandez, and adjusting the offense to have two post players.  Accomplish that and shore up the rebounding...and you've realy got something.

However, for now let's focus on this year.  Great effort by the team and a great job by Bryce and his staff.  Need to make some adjusments and really play well in the conference tournament.  They earned playing at home...now they need to use it.