• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

For the pessimists among us...

Started by wh, February 26, 2012, 11:48:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wh

Following is a list of teams we would probably be better off not facing in the HL Tournament: 

#2 CSU   Hard to beat a team 3 times and may have Brown back
#3 Det    Hard to beat a team 3 times and on a roll
#4 Mil    Already beat us on our home court
#5 But    Hard to beat a team 3 times and players with post-season experience
#6 YSU   Beat us by 18 at their place only 2 weeks ago – could get hot from 3
#7 GB      Beat us by 15 at their place only 3 weeks ago – we don't match up well
#8 WSU  Beat us by 18 at their place in early Jan. – we are bad against their match-up zone
#9 UIC    Had to come from way behind to beat them by 5 at their place
#10 LUC Beat them by 4 in O.T. at the ARC 5 days ago – probably should have lost

valporun

wh, I agree with your first four teams being tough to see in the HL Tourney, but I'm not sure that YSU can beat us by 18 again, considering when we played them at Beeghley, we were without Kevin after he had the sprained knee happen at CSU two days prior. We didn't have that inside presence where we could pass the ball to Kevin with the instinct he had to pass the ball out to the open man at the perimeter. Without that inside, it shutdown a lot of our shooting, rebounding, and strength of keeping the inside cluttered with a big, physical 5 that did everything based on his role.
Green Bay will be tough now that Alex(?) Brown has really developed for the Phoenix. Cougill becomes a handful with Brown in his role as well.
WSU would be a battle of which coach will be outcoached. Will Bryce not have an adjustment for that matchup zone, or will the Raiders focus too much on one aspect of our game, and forget about some of our cogs?

Crusader03

VU75

I'm sure the coaching staff is telling the team much the same thing and they don't mean to be funny. 

crusaderjoe

Quote from: VU75 on February 26, 2012, 02:09:40 PM
I'm sure the coaching staff is telling the team much the same thing and they don't mean to be funny.

Given that there is an element of truth to each of the aforementioned statements, I agree with you.

milanmiracle

I saw the word pessimist and came running...What does that say?

Actually there is a grain of truth in all those evaluations, and anything can happen. I am afraid of (in no particular order) Green Bay, Butler, and Detroit. While it's possible anybody on that list could beat Valpo, that doesn't seem too likely. I could probably throw Milwaukee into that list as well.

We'll see what happens as the season starts now...two games for it all.
"Tragedy is losing 86-7 and then having ESPN calling the press box and asking if the score is actually correct." - pgmado

covufan

Quote from: wh on February 26, 2012, 11:48:36 AM
Following is a list of teams we would probably be better off not facing in the HL Tournament: 

#2 CSU   Hard to beat a team 3 times and may have Brown back
#3 Det    Hard to beat a team 3 times and on a roll
#4 Mil    Already beat us on our home court
#5 But    Hard to beat a team 3 times and players with post-season experience
#6 YSU   Beat us by 18 at their place only 2 weeks ago – could get hot from 3
#7 GB      Beat us by 15 at their place only 3 weeks ago – we don't match up well
#8 WSU  Beat us by 18 at their place in early Jan. – we are bad against their match-up zone
#9 UIC    Had to come from way behind to beat them by 5 at their place
#10 LUC Beat them by 4 in O.T. at the ARC 5 days ago – probably should have lost

I would not be surprised if any of the top 5 were to win the HL Tournament.  Good teams and anyone can go on a run.