• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Rising Costs of Guaranteed Games

Started by vuweathernerd, March 04, 2012, 07:08:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Are guaranteed six-figure payouts worth embarrassing defeats at the hands of BCS power programs?

Yes
2 (33.3%)
No
4 (66.7%)

Total Members Voted: 6

vuweathernerd

the costs of guaranteed games are rising for big schools. we get directly mentioned in the article as a benefactor this past season of higher buyouts.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/mensbasketball/story/2012-03-03/big-ten-big-12-guarantee-games-ohio-state-texas/53357826/1

but is the extra cash infusion into the program actually worth a 30 point embarrassing beatdown? and while we're at it, does anybody know if we got any sort of payment to play at arizona back in november to open the season? i know it was part of the coaches vs cancer showcase, but i'm curious.

valpopal

As one who once served on the university committee that deals with this issue, and as I have mentioned in past discussions on this topic, I think the guaranteed games are beneficial to VU.

The Crusaders get publicity by playing a top tier team; the players enjoy the challenge and the big-time venue; the experience helps later in the season when the players are in high profile games, like the Butler games and the tournament; the income helps fund the team's needs, including expenses for recruiting; the exposure attracts more interest from recruits, who also will look forward to going against players in the elite programs; the strength of schedule is enhanced, even if VU loses, as expected; if the team is expected to lose by a substantial margin, then the game is a win-win situation--a big loss fits the expectations, but a close loss exceeds expectations; finally, the minimal chance of an upset is always inviting to think about.

In addition, as the saying goes in business, if you want to be successful, hang around successful people. Reputations of mid-major teams like Butler, Gonzaga, and Xavier grew because they increasingly played challenging schedules, and eventually won more games, not by shying away from such games. Also, the Valparaiso name gets positive attention whenever and wherever the team plays, which helps more prospective students in all fields become familiar with the university and assists in enrolling more and better students.

I'm hoping the team's success this year and the high prospects for another successful season next year serve as bargaining chips to keep the rates high for scheduling Valpo. 

MattCarter

Here is something that just came into my mind while reading the article.  The one coach mentions in his contract he must have 2 of those paid games per year.

What happens if his team is good and beats one or two of em....the following year would anyone pay his team to come? 

"Well Coach we love that you beat Blah Blah and Blah Blah Blah on the road last year, but because of it no one will pay us to play anymore so you are fired"  Really?
The two greatest things on earth?  Short hair cuts and Valpo Victories!

valporun

I don't think Zeigler would get fired for winning those games, it would just be a difficult sell to teams that feel losing to Central Michigan would hurt their NCAA bid. It would force him to schedule his guarantee games against the likes of a Minnesota, Iowa State, Penn State, Depaul, St. John's, and such to get games. He would have sell to lower level Big 6 conference teams to get guarantee money, but I don't think he would get fired for it.

covufan

I think the payment is what has evolved over the last several years.  Most BIG programs would always allow the smaller teams to visit, but in no way would they come to visit in the small program's house.  The mid-major teams used to do some of that traveling, but are now in position to either say no, or accept a fee for playing the game.  The big name programs can only invite the 4 letter acronym in-state school so many times before the fans don't show.

valporun

Most big schools will only play the small school on the road if there is an NBA facility nearby. This is why Valpo had to play Duke and Notre Dame at the UC. Did a Duke game will help our revenue, since we had to rent the UC?

MattCarter

Quote from: valporun on March 05, 2012, 11:15:42 PMMost big schools will only play the small school on the road if there is an NBA facility nearby. This is why Valpo had to play Duke and Notre Dame at the UC. Did a Duke game will help our revenue, since we had to rent the UC?
No but I bet it helped recruiting to say "Hey kid you'll be playing in the house that Jordan built against Duke"
The two greatest things on earth?  Short hair cuts and Valpo Victories!

historyman

Quote from: valporun on March 05, 2012, 11:15:42 PM
Most big schools will only play the small school on the road if there is an NBA facility nearby. This is why Valpo had to play Duke and Notre Dame at the UC. Did a Duke game will help our revenue, since we had to rent the UC?

I believe that the original game at the United Center against Notre Dame which Valpo lost on a last shot was profitable for Valpo. Notre Dame would not take the risk of losing money. So basically Valpo profited off all the catholics in the Chicago area who wanted to see Notre Dame and ND wouldn't take the risk in renting the UC against "puny" Valpo. The catholic Notre Dame fans in Chicago are maybe a bit more intelligent then their counterparts in the ND administration or South Bend people just hadn't realized just how much publicity Valpo was getting at the time from Chicago press that ND fans in Chicago did appreciate Valpo as an opponent.

covufan

I wouldn't mind seeing a two for one with ND - with our one game at UC again.