• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

And so it begins: Chicago Trib mentions Bryce for Northwestern coach

Started by valpopal, March 17, 2012, 10:35:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FWalum

Not sure Bryce would want to leave the area with the current health situation of his parents.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

johnestuff

Quote from: FWalum on March 26, 2012, 01:26:00 PM
Not sure Bryce would want to leave the area with the current health situation of his parents.

Who's to stay that his parents wouldn't look to be somewhere between Tulsa and Waco???

Eaglebackr

...then can someone please tell me why he is reportedly meeting with TU officials today? 

Everyone seems to be in agreement that the only reason he hasn't already interviewed with Tulsa is simply because he's been with the extended family in Atlanta, where Scott's Baylor bunch was playing.

Is he just curious what TU might offer?  Or, is he trying to get a bump in salary from Valpo?

StlVUFan

Reported where?  Link please.

And no, I don't miss you one bit.

crusaderboy

If I weren't interested in a job, I would not interview.

If Bryce believes in his ability as a coach, maybe he looks at the Tulsa opening as an opportunity to succeed in C-USA and to continue to move up the coaching ladder in another couple years. Maybe he looks and sees they have more resources, better facilities, a more supportive administration and then thinks this is his logical next step.

I would not dismiss this report out of hand. And if it's not this job opportunity, there will be others in the very near future.

valpotx

Hey, if he actually interviews for the Tulsa job as 'reported,' more power to him.  If he gets it, great, good for him.  I just don't see the logic in moving to a team that Valpo would usually beat each year, in a conference situation that is going to be in flux for many years to come (how long can this 'alliance' last with 16-20+ members?), and being the smallest FBS school in the nation.  If you just finished your first year as a HC and have everyone coming back, why would you leave now, instead of when better opportunities would come about after an even better second year??
"Don't mess with Texas"

agibson

Quote from: crusaderboy on March 26, 2012, 02:18:26 PM
If I weren't interested in a job, I would not interview.

If I knew I never wanted to leave Valpo, maybe I wouldn't interview.  If I thought, maybe some years down the road, I'd consider the right move, then a Tulsa interview might be good "practice".

Even if I wasn't interested, if they were _really_ interested, and I made it clear I wasn't going to take the job, and they _still_ wanted me to come, I might do it as a sort of a fact finding mission.  I've just gotten my first year of head coaching experience.  Let's go some place for a couple of days, think about their program, think about all the same issues I face everyday, from a different perspective.  Could be worthwhile.  Even if I know I don't want the job. 

Maybe that process even helps Tulsa to evaluate other candidates, etc.

Eaglebackr

Quote from: StlVUFan on March 26, 2012, 01:53:44 PMReported where?  Link please. And no, I don't miss you one bit.

I would, but when I try, your forum keeps telling me I'm not allowed to post external links.
Maybe it's afraid I might send you to some website that lists Valpo's 0-3 record against the Summit League this past season... :dance:

bbtds

You need five posts. Then you can posts links. Go ahead and find something else you could comment on on this board.

Sounds like giving advice to the mouse to peak out at the cat.

crusaderboy

Quote from: valpotx on March 26, 2012, 02:32:16 PMin a conference situation that is going to be in flux for many years to come

if Butler leaves, will this not be the case with the Horizon as well?

Quote from: valpotx on March 26, 2012, 02:32:16 PMIf you just finished your first year as a HC and have everyone coming back, why would you leave now, instead of when better opportunities would come about after an even better second year??

Because you always strike while the iron is hot. Exhibit A: Chris Lowry.

IndyValpo

I think that Tulsa's history is being way undervalued here:

The last 23 years they have had 3 (04/05/06) losing seasons.  Between 1994 and 2003 they made 8 NCAA appearances including 1 Elite 8 and 2 Sweet Sixteen years.  They won the NIT in 2001 and the CBI in 2008. They have played in the NIT in 2009 and 2010 and had a winning record this season.

Former coaches who moved up...Nolan Richardson, Tubby Smith and Bill Self. 

valpotx

When we lose Butler, we will replace them with at least one team.  Our conference is much less likely to have future teams poached from it, because we would be losing our only nationally relevant program.  This 'alliance' will continue to have teams poached from it by the highest rated conferences, and they will replace with football-playing FBS programs.  Can you see other HL teams being taken by the higher conferences? 

Yes, you strike while the iron is hot, but Tulsa is not even close to the step up he should take.  You can wallow away in Tulsa recruiting against the other Oklahoma and Texas schools that pilfer the area, and end up out of a job after a few years.  If he makes the jump to another school, I see it after next season when he takes us to the NCAA, and his name is even more talked about by better programs.
"Don't mess with Texas"

crusaderjoe

Quote from: valpotx on March 26, 2012, 02:32:16 PM
Hey, if he actually interviews for the Tulsa job as 'reported,' more power to him.  If he gets it, great, good for him.  I just don't see the logic in moving to a team that Valpo would usually beat each year, in a conference situation that is going to be in flux for many years to come (how long can this 'alliance' last with 16-20+ members?), and being the smallest FBS school in the nation.  If you just finished your first year as a HC and have everyone coming back, why would you leave now, instead of when better opportunities would come about after an even better second year??

Why leave?  So maybe in 5 or 10 years he can coach in a BCS conference like his brother?  He's only 37.

IMO, there is a greater potential for flux with the conferences who may lose members because of the MWC/CUSA relationship (like the WAC) than those two conferences themselves.  If Bryce was interviewing for the University of Idaho job then I would agree with you.  However, according to this article, CUSA and the MWC may merge and may expand to more than 16 teams: 

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/story/18061858/merging-or-sharing-either-way-cusa-and-mwc-working-together

Nothing yet is certain.  Nonetheless, CUSA is clearly a step up from where Bryce is now, and as someone mentioned, offers better facilities than what he currently has to work with.

crusaderboy

Quote from: valpotx on March 26, 2012, 02:52:43 PM
When we lose Butler, we will replace them with at least one team.  Our conference is much less likely to have future teams poached from it, because we would be losing our only nationally relevant program.  This 'alliance' will continue to have teams poached from it by the highest rated conferences, and they will replace with football-playing FBS programs.  Can you see other HL teams being taken by the higher conferences? 

Yes, you strike while the iron is hot, but Tulsa is not even close to the step up he should take.  You can wallow away in Tulsa recruiting against the other Oklahoma and Texas schools that pilfer the area, and end up out of a job after a few years.  If he makes the jump to another school, I see it after next season when he takes us to the NCAA, and his name is even more talked about by better programs.

I don't necessarily disagree with anything you are saying here, or have said in the other posts. I am just trying to point out the other side of it.
And if you are Bryce, and confident in your abilities, there is no way you think you wallow away in Tulsa, like Doug Wojcik. You see yourself as the next Nolan Richardson, Bill Self or Tubby Smith, who have been previously mentioned as having Tulsa on their resumes.

wh

Maybe he looks and sees they have more resources, better facilities, a more supportive administration and then thinks this is his logical next step.

The Administration (this one and the last) continues to play Russian roulette with our basketball program by refusing to commit to major renovation of the ARC.  Very possibly Bryce has already had his first post season discussion with the AD and heard the same song and dance his Dad heard for years.  If I were a young talented coach who fully understands that our woefully inferior facilities could be detrimental to my career and there is no commitment to do anything about it, I'd be looking for the first good opportunity to get out.  If something isn't done about this - and soon - our successful BB program is in serious jeopardy IMO.  This situation is no different than anything else in life - there is no such thing as a free lunch.  If you aren't willing to commit the resources necessary to remain competitive at the level at which you've chosen to compete, then get out and quit stringing everyone along (including all of is).

Eaglebackr

Quote from: bbtds on March 26, 2012, 02:42:13 PMYou need five posts. Then you can posts links. Go ahead and find something else you could comment on on this board. Sounds like giving advice to the mouse to peak out at the cat.

Gee - thanks.

And, THAT is how you catch Capone post No. 5.

Eaglebackr

Quote from: StlVUFan on March 26, 2012, 01:53:44 PMReported where?  Link please. And no, I don't miss you one bit.

Here ya go, StlVUFan - always gratifying to have someone ask me a favor while they put me down in the same breath:

Everything You Need To Know About The Bryce-Drew-To-Tulsa Rumor 

valpotx

I guess my whole view on this is that Scott's situation was a lot different.  He was moving into a BCS conference after his one year, and was given the security that he would have many years to turn the situation around.  Baylor has massive financial resources, and finally decided to commit it to athletics more.  If Bryce went to a Tulsa or a Northwestern, he would not get these same assurances/resources.  Yes, being confident, I am sure any new coach thinks they are the one to make it all happen.  However, if he wanted to jump to a mid-level team, he is better to hold out for a high level MVC or higher level MWC/ConfUSA team.
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpopal

Knowing Bryce's personality and having watched him grow since he was in middle school, I find it hard to believe anything other than an incredibly outrageous offer and, more importantly, to a fairly prominent basketball program would cause him to even consider leaving the area and distance himself from family at a time when his parents' health is of such a concern. Tulsa does not fit the description. 

vu72

Quote from: wh on March 26, 2012, 02:58:54 PM

Maybe he looks and sees they have more resources, better facilities, a more supportive administration and then thinks this is his logical next step.

The Administration (this one and the last) continues to play Russian roulette with our basketball program by refusing to commit to major renovation of the ARC.  Very possibly Bryce has already had his first post season discussion with the AD and heard the same song and dance his Dad heard for years.  If I were a young talented coach who fully understands that our woefully inferior facilities could be detrimental to my career and there is no commitment to do anything about it, I'd be looking for the first good opportunity to get out.  If something isn't done about this - and soon - our successful BB program is in serious jeopardy IMO.  This situation is no different than anything else in life - there is no such thing as a free lunch.  If you aren't willing to commit the resources necessary to remain competitive at the level at which you've chosen to compete, then get out and quit stringing everyone along (including all of is).

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on this one.  Did facilities attract our new guy from South Florida?  How about Rowdy?  The weather sure is better than Australia or Miami, right?  Players want to win and play a certain style and for a certain coach.  Some change their mind when they find out their abilities don't match up with the current coaches thinking.  Hmmm, I won't list all the guys who fill this mode.  Homer has lamented the fact that things could have been better with better facilities, yet we have had great success inspite of it, and not for just a couple of years until everybody woke up and realized the facilitites wouldn't be changed over night-- or over a few decades for that matter. 
If Bryce leaves I'll be disappointed as I was with Scott's decision.  If you think we won't attract another great young coach (Greg Tonagel??) , think again.

Do I wish we had a better arena? Sure.  Next guys like Lemke will call our new 6,000 seat place "small time" (check out his comments about teams that might move up from the Horizon--Loyola for example), then what?  The pressure will be on the build a 10,000 seat one and so it goes.  Somehow, inspite of our crappy facilities, we won the conference championship.  Ask Nebraska how their new "practice facility" complete with TVs in the cans, is working out for them.

And finally, who is "stringing everyone along?  Has Mark promised new facilities?  He has added a new practice facility (renovated Hilltop), new floor and a new scoreboard, all over the last few years.  There is a "plan" of sorts for a renovation of the ARC but nothing said or publicized so no one can say they were "strung along".  Sorry for the rant.  Somehow I'm still wound up and excited about our success and future success, not about what we could be if only...  There will always be someone with a bigger and better this or that.  The arms race will go on, just perhaps without Valpo.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

LaPorteAveApostle

maybe this will make everyone feel better about life at the moment:
https://twitter.com/#!/DaveSittler/statuses/180730833462767616

(I think this issue is something we're all forgetting here with debates over spending and facilities:  his parents are (t)here, and they are not well.  add that in to next year looking loaded, so if he even is interviewing it's for a) practice b) getting name out there for a time of leverage c) firing a shot across administration/community bows about keeping him d) all the above.)
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

FWalum

Despite the link I don't see anything that indicates that Bryce is interviewing today.  Would I blame him if he did?? Absolutely not, I would almost always interview with someone that was interested in my talent even if I had very little interest in taking the job.  That's life, he would be a fool not to look at all options. I just don't think this is the right time, but then again I was surprised when Scott made his decision.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

VULB#62

Perception is sometimes construed as reality.  The mere mention that Bryce may be out there talking to others could bode well for the BB program even if he's now back home watching Dancing with the Stars tonight and never got on a plane.  I like that he's hot and I hope it convinces the administration to upgrade a whole bunch of stuff (I'm a Brown Field guy but would love to see upgrades all over the place).  Though Valpo has been a mid-major for some time, I think for the first time the VU powers that be might finally understand what that really means in terms of committing to D-I.  The old Mid-Continent did not have those pressures.

StlVUFan

EB: a direct link to a specific article reporting that he is interviewing with TU, not a google summary.  I'm not spending meaningful minutes in my day chasing down your wild goose chase.

ValpoHoops

Quote from: StlVUFan on March 26, 2012, 06:56:15 PM
EB: a direct link to a specific article reporting that he is interviewing with TU, not a google summary.  I'm not spending meaningful minutes in my day chasing down your wild goose chase.

His link was active earlier. Try this:

http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/TU/article.aspx?subjectid=94&articleid=20120325_29_B1_CUTLIN623737