• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Jeff Goodman's Transfer List - Edwards and Vucic transferring

Started by EddieCabot, March 28, 2012, 03:15:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: IndyValpo on March 29, 2012, 03:02:54 PMHis name was Ralph Simmerman out of New Palestine, IN.  I am not sure where he ended up.  I would have guessed that was during the Tom Smith era.  We also had a 6-11 kid from Elkhart and a think an Arkansas JUCO named Peter Van Dyke that never showed up.

Thanks for that!  That's good to know some neurons are still firing somewhere.  The ghost of John Becher thanks you :)

Yeah, that's a bummer about Edwards, but hey, getting a transfer (and I include JUCO in that) is like getting a date with a hot girl--she's been elsewhere before and she could go elsewhere just as easily.  Can't say they didn't warn you :/
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

wh

Richie carried us in the late stages of the OT victory over Butler.  That game set the stage for a great conference season and a sweep over Butler.  Thanks Richie for your many contributions to a successful season.  Best wishes to both Richie and Vu.

mj

I'm really surprised that Edwards is leaving. The dude had a hell of a February. Wish him luck in the future.
I believe that we will win.

LaPorteAveApostle

He was no less than exactly what we needed at that time, you're exactly right.

I'm from Valpo, but have been in Southwest Florida for a couple years now, and leaving here is sometimes like going off of a prescription drug...the withdrawals are hard.  Just had a brilliant girl leave St. Mary's College and come back here because she couldn't handle not just the cold, but the lack of the sun--I used to think Seasonal Affective Disorder was a made-up thing.  That, plus missing family...that's a tough combo.

I guess it would be easy to say it's the most surprising/damaging transfer since...well...Wood.  Hope we handle it as well as the other.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

chef

It seems that most people believe that Ryan Broekhoff will play mostly the three next year. I don't think that will be the case. Kevin has played exclusively the five. I don't think that will change either. Vashil will get minutes at the five, and Bobby will get minutes at the four and five. Both are solid and ready to contribute. I think Valpo will be the best in the league at those two positions by plenty.

lowposter

Interesting how the press release was worded..."asked for and granted" for Vucic and "granted ...for family reasons."  My guess is that Vucic was this year's Cameron Witt, only they handled it a bit better this year.

Edwards will be a loss, no doubt.  He was a player that got better as the year progressed.  Family reasons....we will probably never know.

Will Vucic, since he redshirted, have 2 years of eligibility left?  Is it possible he returns to Europe?

Any word yet on the eligibility of the two transfers?

Is it possible we are over rating the abilities of our two bigs for next year?

I also concur with the thought that Ryan might not be playing the 3 next year.  It worked quite well this year and created mismatch issues.  The HL is basically a "skilled, yet small league" with typically one "big" on the floor per team at one time.  Not always, but usually. 

lowposter

vuweathernerd

Quote from: chef on March 29, 2012, 05:20:03 PM
It seems that most people believe that Ryan Broekhoff will play mostly the three next year. I don't think that will be the case. Kevin has played exclusively the five. I don't think that will change either. Vashil will get minutes at the five, and Bobby will get minutes at the four and five. Both are solid and ready to contribute. I think Valpo will be the best in the league at those two positions by plenty.

i can see the matchup problems that might cause other teams, but i still think we'd be better off sliding ryan out to the 3, start kevin at 4, and vashil down at the 5. then depending on foul problems, rest, etc., kvw and bobby can put in time at both positions.

chef

Kevin is a much better fit at the five in the Horizon League...both offensively and defensively.

agibson

This post needs a new title!  I'll definitely miss Edwards.  Hopefully Capobianco and Fernandez turn out in spades and I miss him mostly for sentimental reasons.

DMvalpo18

This news certainly comes as surprising to me. I'm not so sure there was writing on the wall for Richie, since like everyone has been saying he really came on late in the season. And he played pretty well at Miami as well. Family reasons is one thing, but playing time might also play a part in this.

valpofan11

Leaves us I think one extra scholarship, Leke Solanke from MC Marquette is raw, explosive, and big, but I think if we picked him up, we would and should redshirt him a year so he could bulk up a little.

DMvalpo18

Quote from: valpofan11 on March 29, 2012, 07:42:44 PM
Leaves us I think one extra scholarship, Leke Solanke from MC Marquette is raw, explosive, and big, but I think if we picked him up, we would and should redshirt him a year so he could bulk up a little.

I agree!

valpo84

An interesting player might be Carson Derossiers, who has transferred from Wake Forest. He is 7', good feet, great passer, has 2 years of ACC experience, terrific student, and would be very good in a motion offense. With a transfer sit out year, he would be ready for post-KVW.
"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

valpofan11

Would the kid from Wake Forest be very explosive though?

valpopal

The news that Edwards and Vucic are transferring still doesn't answer questions about Kurth. Here is a guard who didn't see time on the floor in an NIT game where two of Valpo's guards were out ill and six exhausted players had to use all the minutes. Even the walk-on Shelton got in games before Kurth.

Is he going to fill a space at the end of a bench and use a scholarship spot again next year or is there some illness that will be resolved by next season? Valpo just recruited two more guards as transfers, which makes Kurth's situation even more puzzling. Bryce needs to answer a reporter's questions about the future of Kurth.

vusupporter

Quote from: valpopal on March 30, 2012, 08:01:00 AM
The news that Edwards and Vucic are transferring still doesn't answer questions about Kurth. Here is a guard who didn't see time on the floor in an NIT game where two of Valpo's guards were out ill and six exhausted players had to use all the minutes. Even the walk-on Shelton got in games before Kurth.

Is he going to fill a space at the end of a bench and use a scholarship spot again next year or is there some illness that will be resolved by next season? Valpo just recruited two more guards as transfers, which makes Kurth's situation even more puzzling. Bryce needs to answer a reporter's questions about the future of Kurth.

Would have been tough for him to see time on the floor against Miami when he wasn't even on the trip.

valpopal

Quote from: vusupporter on March 30, 2012, 09:10:35 AM

Would have been tough for him to see time on the floor against Miami when he wasn't even on the trip.

I knew Harris didn't make the trip, but didn't hear that about Kurth. If Kurth wasn't even on the trip, that adds emphasis to this point and raises further questions.

historyman

Maybe Bryce feels with the 2 transfers that he has the ability to give Kurth the time he needs to get healthy and actually contribute to an HL winning team. The answers will come. Patience is sometimes a great virtue.

agibson

Quote from: valpopal on March 30, 2012, 09:23:17 AMI knew Harris didn't make the trip, but didn't hear that about Kurth. If Kurth wasn't even on the trip, that adds emphasis to this point and raises further questions.

Was this reported, at the time?  Checking at least one Valpo-beat story, it was "Harris didn't make the trip, Kenney just barely strong enough to pull out the IV and get on the team bus to O'Hare" with no mention of Kurth.

lowposter

I would go with Leke, but it probably will not occur....lots of interest from other schools.

The Woolridge player from Tennessee...does anyone know if he is Orlando Wollridge's son?  He is immediately eligible and would give us another big.

lowposter.

valpotx

Yes, he is Orlando's son.

Interesting that even in the same post you spell the last name differently from one sentence to the next.  Sorry, had to point that out  ;D
"Don't mess with Texas"

vufan75

Quote from: lowposter on March 30, 2012, 01:14:43 PM
I would go with Leke, but it probably will not occur....lots of interest from other schools.

The Woolridge player from Tennessee...does anyone know if he is Orlando Wollridge's son?  He is immediately eligible and would give us another big.

lowposter.

Info on Woolridge from the 2011-2012 Tennessee basketball roster. Yes, he is Orlando's son.

http://www.utsports.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/woolridge_renaldo00.html

VULB#62

Great pedigree.  certainly would fit in from a scholar-athlete perspective if he's anything like his siblings.

valpospartan

Quote from: chef on March 29, 2012, 06:11:11 PM
Kevin is a much better fit at the five in the Horizon League...both offensively and defensively.

I agree Chef.
I also want to thank Richie for his contributions this year, and wish him good luck where ever he lands.

valpopal

Just heard Edwards has committed to Arizona State. So much for homesickness as a reason for his transfer.