• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Jeff Goodman's Transfer List - Edwards and Vucic transferring

Started by EddieCabot, March 28, 2012, 03:15:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EddieCabot

EddieCabot

And Vucic.  Guess I should have finished reading before I posted.

vuweathernerd

interesting... first i've heard, but then again i've been out of the loop since i graduated...

...and the hits just keep on coming.

hoopfan22

MattCarter

The Vucic one not so shocked....Edwards one is strange.  Who wants a guy to take up a scholarship for 2 years only to get one year of play time?  Taking everything these days with a HUGE grain of salt...the internet is full of people who "have it right" or have "inside sources".  I'll believe the transfer stuff and all the Bryce whatnot if and when it hits the valpo athletics site
The two greatest things on earth?  Short hair cuts and Valpo Victories!

Valpo_Fred

I will say from everything I've heard in athletics, Edwards is transferring.

vuweathernerd

i don't like it, but i guess it's not terribly surprising, considering the height coming eligible in fernandez and capobianco.

valpotx

I guess that it does make sense for Richie if this is true.  His playing time will definitely diminish with the others coming into the program, and he was only averaging 17 min/game already.  In regards to Vucic, I assume that there is some lesser program he can transfer to (or D-2) where he can make an impact.  He made some strides this year, but was not going to factor into anything past this year.
"Don't mess with Texas"

zvillehaze

Quote from: valpotx on March 28, 2012, 05:38:14 PM
I guess that it does make sense for Richie if this is true.  His playing time will definitely diminish with the others coming into the program, and he was only averaging 17 min/game already.  In regards to Vucic, I assume that there is some lesser program he can transfer to (or D-2) where he can make an impact.  He made some strides this year, but was not going to factor into anything past this year.

If true, very interesting.  It would appear these guys have limited DI options.  Both would need to sit a year and have only one year remaining.  Also, not sure why either would decide to leave given what next year's team could achieve. 

nkvu

I would be very sorry to see Richie leave.  I could see him averaging 20 min a game next year. 10 min backing Ryan at the 3 and 10 min backing Kevin or Capobianco at the 4, if  Capobianco would be ahead of him at the 4.  His versatility could really create match up headaches as he can take 4 defenders outside and 3 defenders down low.  Then he would be the man at the 3 or the 4 his senior year.  What a waste it would be for him to sit out a year and then only have one year if he transfers to a Div I school.  It would be a waste as well for him to transfer to Div II as he has the skills to play Div I.  As for Vucic, most D II schools would love to have a 7 footer for two years, so it makes some sense if he went D II.  But for Richie, not so much.

wh

When it was announced that we would be playing at Miami in the NIT, Richie was quoted as saying something about this being the first time that he was happy the whole season. I recall thinking that the comment was somewhat strange, but I dismissed it as meaning he was homesick or something.  Now I'm thinking the comment had more meaning than that. 

wh

If I counted correctly, WSU has 3 transfers on the list.  Weren't some of their fans criticizing us for doing a lousy revruiting job after Logan Jones, Bouchie, Haampa and the German guy left 3 or 4 years ago?  Ever since Brownell left, they seem to have a non-stop revolving door of players coming and going.

valpotx

Without speculating too much, Richie was probably expecting to play many more minutes than he did this year.  From afar, he seems to be a guy who wants to be playing 25-30+ minutes each game, and that simply can't happen in our current setup
"Don't mess with Texas"

historyman

Quote from: valpotx on March 29, 2012, 02:57:07 AM
Without speculating too much, Richie was probably expecting to play many more minutes than he did this year.  From afar, he seems to be a guy who wants to be playing 25-30+ minutes each game, and that simply can't happen in our current setup

It could be something as simple as "it's too cold in the midwest compared to Florida."

BigDWSU

Quote from: wh on March 28, 2012, 11:53:36 PM
If I counted correctly, WSU has 3 transfers on the list.  Weren't some of their fans criticizing us for doing a lousy revruiting job after Logan Jones, Bouchie, Haampa and the German guy left 3 or 4 years ago?  Ever since Brownell left, they seem to have a non-stop revolving door of players coming and going.

We have lost 5 players since Brownell left: Cartharn, Clark, Pritchett, Cuffee, and Balwigaire.  Balwigaire is the only guy that made it into WSU's playing rotation and he lost his spot in the rotation at the end of this last season.  The national average is 2 transfers per school per year.  WSU is averaging 2.5 a year.  Not exactly a revolving door.  We just got rid of dead weight on our roster.  Five players left WSU in the last 2 years.  I'm pretty sure none of them left on their own.  It was a coaching decision to free up a scholarship. I don't really remember any criticism of Valpo for losing transfers in the past.  If anything, I think most of us felt bad for you because you lost quality players like Haanpa and Bouchie that could have made you an even better team.

LaPorteAveApostle

let's turn the frown upside down for a second...obviously this answers the questions posed by Bryce's remark that they are still seeking someone to fill an open spot, when at last commit (Coleman) our intrepid heroes seemed to have one spot too many.

Who on this transfer list would you like to see suit up for VU?  (Realistically speaking...Oriakhi is unlikely, I would think, e.g.)

Even though these transfers leave us a little thin in the frontcourt, when for the first time since ever The World's Tallest Team we looked to be set there next year, I still think we don't necessarily have to seek out someone with immediate eligibility at 4/5 when a three-man combination of Fernandez, Van Wijk, and Capobianco can mean, say 30 min/pg for one of them and 25/pg for the other two.  Let's find someone good who doesn't mind sitting out a year when it means a front-row seat to Mayhem on Union Street, who will be ready to lead the post-class of 2013 revival.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

sectionee

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on March 29, 2012, 09:13:32 AMLet's find someone good who doesn't mind sitting out a year when it means a front-row seat to Mayhem on Union Street, who will be ready to lead the post-class of 2013 revival.
Until Kevin gets hurt or Vashil isn't ready to play that much or Capo is as productive as the IU people say he is....we need another big guy who can play now. We thought we were good on guards, but look what happened in the NIT with two guys out ill.

MattCarter

Quote from: sectionee on March 29, 2012, 11:38:56 AM
Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on March 29, 2012, 09:13:32 AMLet's find someone good who doesn't mind sitting out a year when it means a front-row seat to Mayhem on Union Street, who will be ready to lead the post-class of 2013 revival.
Until Kevin gets hurt or Vashil isn't ready to play that much or Capo is as productive as the IU people say he is....we need another big guy who can play now. We thought we were good on guards, but look what happened in the NIT with two guys out ill.
Agree.  I dont care who you have on the roster, if a REAL big man who can play now is available you do it.  Period.  Vashil is the only TRUE Center on our roster and no one knows what he is all about.  KVW and Bobby are ideally a #4 IMO
The two greatest things on earth?  Short hair cuts and Valpo Victories!

LaPorteAveApostle

Well, that's all well and good--but at this stage in the game, who are you legitimately going to get that can do/be that?

Valpo's been looking for size forever--but so is everyone else (remember that 6'10" Florida JUCO they almost got in Homer's early days?  Ralph...um....Zimmerman?...help a brother out.  He never ended up here, but the money quote from the article was Homer saying something like "as soon as he had to duck to enter my office, we offered him").

Almost all of the good freshman "gets" have already signed.  Almost all of the transfer "bigs" have to sit out a year.

So...that brings us down to:
Koang Duolony, 6-8, F, Jr., Indiana State (will graduate and have one left)
Brendan Lane, 6-9, PF, Jr., UCLA - one year left and can play ASAP
Jeff Neal, 6-7, PF, Sr., Florida A&M (will graduate and have one)
J.T. Thompson, 6-7, F, Sr., Virginia Tech (will try and get a sixth year)
Renaldo Woolridge, 6-9, F, Sr., Tennessee – one year left, can play immediately
...and of course, Oriakhi (presuming the UConn slap stands).
(And any other random person out there that hasn't made the list yet.)
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

vuweathernerd

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on March 29, 2012, 01:01:39 PM
Well, that's all well and good--but at this stage in the game, who are you legitimately going to get that can do/be that?

Valpo's been looking for size forever--but so is everyone else (remember that 6'10" Florida JUCO they almost got in Homer's early days?  Ralph...um....Zimmerman?...help a brother out.  He never ended up here, but the money quote from the article was Homer saying something like "as soon as he had to duck to enter my office, we offered him").

Almost all of the good freshman "gets" have already signed.  Almost all of the transfer "bigs" have to sit out a year.

So...that brings us down to:
Koang Duolony, 6-8, F, Jr., Indiana State (will graduate and have one left)
Brendan Lane, 6-9, PF, Jr., UCLA - one year left and can play ASAP
Jeff Neal, 6-7, PF, Sr., Florida A&M (will graduate and have one)
J.T. Thompson, 6-7, F, Sr., Virginia Tech (will try and get a sixth year)
Renaldo Woolridge, 6-9, F, Sr., Tennessee – one year left, can play immediately
...and of course, Oriakhi (presuming the UConn slap stands).
(And any other random person out there that hasn't made the list yet.)

asking for oriakhi is a bit of a stretch. don't get me wrong, i'd love to have him for a year in the 219, but this is a player who had a key role in a national championship team. i just don't see it happening.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on March 29, 2012, 09:13:32 AMWho on this transfer list would you like to see suit up for VU?  (Realistically speaking...Oriakhi is unlikely, I would think, e.g.)

Not to quote myself, but I did say that originally, which is why he didn't get a full listing just now--because I agree wholeheartedly with you.  "it'd be nice, but..."

IndyValpo

Quote from: vuweathernerd on March 29, 2012, 01:22:38 PMValpo's been looking for size forever--but so is everyone else (remember that 6'10" Florida JUCO they almost got in Homer's early days?  Ralph...um....Zimmerman?...help a brother out.

His name was Ralph Simmerman out of New Palestine, IN.  I am not sure where he ended up.  I would have guessed that was during the Tom Smith era.  We also had a 6-11 kid from Elkhart and a think an Arkansas JUCO named Peter Van Dyke that never showed up.

historyman

Valpo athletics website now has story on Edwards & Vucic transferring.

http://www.valpoathletics.com/mbasketball/news/2011-12/11601/edwards-vucic-to-transfer-from-crusader-program/

Edwards' reason says "family reasons."

vuweathernerd

Quote from: IndyValpo on March 29, 2012, 03:02:54 PM
Quote from: vuweathernerd on March 29, 2012, 01:22:38 PMValpo's been looking for size forever--but so is everyone else (remember that 6'10" Florida JUCO they almost got in Homer's early days?  Ralph...um....Zimmerman?...help a brother out.

His name was Ralph Simmerman out of New Palestine, IN.  I am not sure where he ended up.  I would have guessed that was during the Tom Smith era.  We also had a 6-11 kid from Elkhart and a think an Arkansas JUCO named Peter Van Dyke that never showed up.

that wasn't me who wrote that, but laporte.

also, per oren and lazerus on twitter, both richie and vucic have been released from their scholarships and will transfer.

valpotx

Interesting that for Edwards it lists the reason as for family reasons.  Maybe he wants/needs to be closer to FL?  Hopefully this is the last of our transfers heading into the year!  I hope Vucic picks up at a decent D-2 school and continues improving.
"Don't mess with Texas"