• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

PFL website is growing moss

Started by VULB#62, April 03, 2012, 09:00:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VULB#62

???        In today's information age it's kinda strange to see a college football conference (in this case the Pioneer Football League) have a website that has been totally dormant since January 24, 2012.  Understood,  non-scholarship schools can't release recruiting classes until the deposits are in, so NLI is a moot point, but why aren't there releases about teams' spring football news or an overview of the out-of-conference schedule of PFL teams, or anything?

Just wondering.

covufan

Quote from: VULB#62 on April 03, 2012, 09:00:37 PM
???        In today's information age it's kinda strange to see a college football conference (in this case the Pioneer Football League) have a website that has been totally dormant since January 24, 2012.  Understood,  non-scholarship schools can't release recruiting classes until the deposits are in, so NLI is a moot point, but why aren't there releases about teams' spring football news or an overview of the out-of-conference schedule of PFL teams, or anything?

Just wondering.
Good question.  I'm sure you'll never get an appropriate response.

VULB#62

Now that I look at it, it sounds like I posed a rhetorical question, but I was really curious.   :-[

valporun

You really think coaches at Drake, San Diego, Marist, Campbell, Butler, Jacksonville, and such are really going to divulge information about players for next season now? I'm guessing the PFL website goes the same route as high school or D-III athletics websites, only update when necessary.

VULB#62

Actually, I'm thinking that they should be acting more like the Big Sky and CAA etc. where the schedules for Spring practices and games may be covered and off season newsworthy football things are publicized.  It's about staying in front of the football loving public and presenting themselves at the same level of competition even though they are a need-based league.  I check the PFL site weekly if not more looking for information just to keep my football appetite whetted and I would think there are other nuts like me out there, so it's disappointing to not see fresh news (even a little something) every now and again in the offseason.

But I guess you could also argue that they are a unique football-only league.  Yet, they are trying to move to the next level of recognition -- an automatic NCAA FCS bid.  As it stands right now, Valporun, gotta agree that they are more aligned with a D-III model.  Nothing wrong with that, but......

VULB#62

For an example of how a FCS FB conference does this go to the Missouri Valley FB Conference site >> www.valley-football.org <

They simply relay and concentrate the FB releases of member schools.  Right now there's a whole bunch of stuff on spring games out there.  It's not splashy but it keeps "the moss" from growing and keeps football fans involved in the off season.

valpotx

Is the MV FB Conference still run by the same people that are over the PFL?  I believe we used to have the same commissioner, who always denounced the PFLs ability to compete with top teams in FCS, thus keeping the conference away from an auto-bid.
"Don't mess with Texas"

VULB#62

No clue on that one TX.  Just thought the news release-relay was a quick, no-brainer kind of way to stay fresh. Am of half a mind to suggest that to the PFL directly to have member schools set up the relays.  Part of the PFL status dilemma is that it wants a FCS bid slot on a par with the FCS scholarship (grant) schools but in many things besides competitiveness on the field the PFL is still not on that level. But every little thing helps.

milanmiracle

Quote from: VULB#62 on April 17, 2012, 05:12:06 PM
For an example of how a FCS FB conference does this go to the Missouri Valley FB Conference site >> www.valley-football.org <

They simply relay and concentrate the FB releases of member schools.  Right now there's a whole bunch of stuff on spring games out there.  It's not splashy but it keeps "the moss" from growing and keeps football fans involved in the off season.

I think you're comparing apples to a cement bucket when you compare the MVC and the PFL. There's just not the same interest at the PFL schools in football as there is at their MVC counterparts. It's as different as the Ice Castle and Brown field.
"Tragedy is losing 86-7 and then having ESPN calling the press box and asking if the score is actually correct." - pgmado