• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

OSU Sullinger to Celtics - Opinions wanted

Started by VULB#62, June 29, 2012, 04:56:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VULB#62

Jared Sullinger fell in the NBA draft to my Celts.  The linked ESPN article said he might have been a top 10 pick until some doctors found a potential back condition that could limit his career.  VU played OSU this past season and got hammered (before our kids found themselves I might add).  Some of you might have seen the VU-OSU game, or some of you might watch the BIG 10 Network and have seen this guy play.  Can Sullinger make a difference on a graying Celtics squad?  Did Boston get a steal or will this be a dud?

http://espn.go.com/boston/story/_/id/8112497/jared-sullinger-stayed-home-nba-draft-day

All opinions welcome.

sectionee

If healthy I think Boston got a heck of a steal and a replacement for KG in another year or two. 

VULB#62

Thx Double E.  Kinda thinking that was the case.

vu72

He's no KG,but who is?  I'll give a more thorough evaluation soon... ;)
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VULB#62

thx 72  :thumbsup:

Lots of anxiety out here as to whether F/A KG a) retires, b) holds up the organization for lots of $$ on a new contract or c) takes a better offer somewhere else.  If a or c, Sullinger will see lots of action very soon.

vu72

Quote from: VULB#62 on June 29, 2012, 04:56:18 PM
Jared Sullinger fell in the NBA draft to my Celts.  The linked ESPN article said he might have been a top 10 pick until some doctors found a potential back condition that could limit his career.  VU played OSU this past season and got hammered (before our kids found themselves I might add).  Some of you might have seen the VU-OSU game, or some of you might watch the BIG 10 Network and have seen this guy play.  Can Sullinger make a difference on a graying Celtics squad?  Did Boston get a steal or will this be a dud?

http://espn.go.com/boston/story/_/id/8112497/jared-sullinger-stayed-home-nba-draft-day

All opinions welcome.

I think you meant that Valpo played better in the second half when actually we played great in the first half and got murdered in the second.  Valpo was down 4 at the half.
Sullenger is a legit 6'9", not the 7' that is KG.  He can shoot the 3 (40 attempts this last season) making 40%.  I think he will be a better rebounder than a scorer but he cn score and block some shots. Strong and athletic, whereas KG was more of a string bean but could guard just about anyone.  I'll always remember going to see Bryce play against the T-wolves his rookie season.  Bryce wasout on nthe perimeter when there was a switch and all of a sudden KG was on him.  Wow!  those long arms and speed were something else!  Bryce had all he could do to just keep the ball.
Sullenger isn't that guy but will be a very solid pro.  Much better than say, former Celt Kendrick Perkins. I wouldn't be too worried about the injury stuff as he played 39 minutes in OSU's NCAA loss to Kansas.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VULB#62

Thanks for the follow-up 72.  Now that KG is back in the fold and they are making it hard for Ray Allen to ignore 2 years @ $6 mil per, Boston is a little less anxious.  There is a solid team structure there, game-in-game-out intensity, a long tradition and a good coach.  Sullinger should get good minutes to spell the oldsters.

RE:  'before our kids found themselves" actually was my reference to the second half of the season when they began winning crucial HL games and figuring out that they could win the league.  I'm still perplexed by the HL tourney loss and getting knocked out in the first round of the NIT though.  Lots of unfinished business there that I hope is burning in everyone's gut.

covufan

Steal based on what I've seen from him on the court.  However, there have been many NBA players that falter once they get into the big lights, big money, and no inner drive for the NBA game.  Time will tell, but he seems to be a great young kid and player.

VULB#62

Thanks COVUFAN. In the media introduction today, he essentially said: " What back problem?"  Also talked about the chip on his shoulder that has been there since grade school.  Sounds like he's not the type to sign a big $$ contract and loaf his way out of the NBA.  At least for 3 years KG ain't gonna let that happen either.

sectionee

I wonder how long it will take for KG to make him cry like he did Big Baby Davis!  :o

VULB#62

Just from what I've seen (But it's not much), Sully (That's what they are starting to call him because it sounds Irish) is not gonna do that. He looks tough.

LaPorteAveApostle

Sullinger is definitely not the one to be worried about.

You should rather be far more concerned about the fact that you spent a first-round pick on Fab Melo.

Although, speaking of Syracuse, at least you didn't use the fourth pick in the NBA draft on the Big East Sixth Man of the Year...
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

VULB#62

Gotta agree.  A 7' project with an attitude. Three big questions: (1) CAN he run the floor (2) does he WANT to run the floor, and (3) can he correctly SPELL (not txt) 'floor'?