• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Baseball recruits

Started by valpotx, July 03, 2012, 12:47:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpotx

Sounds like 6 more solid recruits!  I still love the CA and TX flair to this team next year  :).  Any time you get two guys who had at one point signed with UC-Irvine, you are doing well

http://www.valpoathletics.com/baseball/news/2012-13/11871/crusader-baseball-adds-six-players/
"Don't mess with Texas"

VULB#62

TX, are we at the point where it's more of a "reload" than a build?  Kinda looks that way.

vu72

Quote from: VULB#62 on July 03, 2012, 05:07:20 PM
TX, are we at the point where it's more of a "reload" than a build?  Kinda looks that way.

I know the question was pointed at our resident baseball guru but I thought I'd chime in anyway!  If I'm not wrong we only lose two from the starting lineup and one of those spots will be filled by Mark Johnson who was the Horizon League Tourney MVP!

The question for tx and others is, "How good will the remaining/new pitchers be as we are losing most of the starting rotation as well as our closer"  We bring back Wormington and Upp will be back but a lot of the questions need to be answered by the new guys and only time will tell.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpotx

Sorry, been in CA over the last week for a family wedding.  I thought this last year was going to be a tough one because we lost a lot of starting pitchers, and I was proven very wrong  :).  Reading about incoming transfers who pitch, and some of the guys we already have on staff, I believe it is definitely a 'reload' year, ready for another championship run.  I really like how Woodson mixes in Juco transfers to get experienced pitching upon losing starters, and then grooming the incoming FR to take over once the transfer's 1 or 2 years is up.  Our hitters will be in a great position in only losing 2-3 people from the lineup, and having people ready to step in (Johnson, Yoder, etc).  I say that we get back to the NCAA tournament, and win at least one game in the regional!
"Don't mess with Texas"

LaPorteAveApostle

Man, TX, that wedding's going to ensure that 72 beats you to 1K posts! ;)
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

blackpantheruwm

The Horizon League is getting better. We finished third this year and had three MLB draft picks.