• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

7 a.m. Nov. 13 vs. NIU

Started by Valpo89, July 11, 2012, 09:41:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KL31NY

Aaron's game notes now available on the Valpo Athletics site consists of most of the promotion at least I have seen for this game. The only other things I have heard about the game have come via Twitter (the tweety bird). I heard somewhere there's going to be a 4am tailgate, and I know Beth Mowins is on the call because I started following her during VUSB's trip to the NCAAs last May.

I figured at least there would be a splash page on the website or some more "in your face" stuff. We complain often enough about turnout on this forum (at least I do when appropriate), and this apparent lack of promotion scares me with ESPN, "The Mothership," heading into town to show us to the world...
"Confidence is huge: believing you're better than the other guy gives you an advantage."
–Jason Kendall, Throwback, pp. 176

vu72

Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valporun

They may not be doing a big public "Splash" because of how early it is on a school day, where most everyone has work or school, so the general public can't really take the time off work to come, and high school kids can't really miss class, so the promo of pancakes and the 4AM tailgate are probably the best things that can be done for a game at 7AM CT. We're just going to have to deal with the fact that for once, we're going to have an ESPN game where a lot of the crowd is going to be students only.

valpospartan

Quote from: valporun on November 11, 2012, 10:28:22 PM
They may not be doing a big public "Splash" because of how early it is on a school day, where most everyone has work or school, so the general public can't really take the time off work to come, and high school kids can't really miss class, so the promo of pancakes and the 4AM tailgate are probably the best things that can be done for a game at 7AM CT. We're just going to have to deal with the fact that for once, we're going to have an ESPN game where a lot of the crowd is going to be students only.

I think there will be more townies than students in attendance - just a hunch.

I also think that a big public splash would have been in order.  Let the people decide if they can attend or not, but at least advertise the darn thing.

valporun

Most of the townies who attend games also attend because it can be a family event. Those families also have kids who go to school about the time the game starts, and they also have jobs they work too, and they can't all just decide they are going to go to a 7AM college basketball game over the work that puts a roof over their head, food on the table, gas in the car, and clothes on their back. Seriously, if we're having this much trouble understanding that, we must be a lot of people who are in that unemployment number the Republicans kept parading around during the election season?

wh

2011 7a - attendance 3244 - host school College of Charleston
2010 7a - attendance 1496 - host school Kent State
2009 7a - attendance 2261 - host school Niagara
2008 9a - attendance 2434 - host school Drexel (no 7a game)

All 4 games were on ESPN.

KL31NY

Like all the comments, but like spartan pointed out, a little advertising wouldn't hurt just to inform all parties when the game is so they can kick the idea around a little. I hope at least between fan attendance and pre-game events that the students come out strong like the good ol' days when ESPN was touting us as a top mid-major environment.
"Confidence is huge: believing you're better than the other guy gives you an advantage."
–Jason Kendall, Throwback, pp. 176

HC

Its to bad this couldn't be a wednesday morning game when most of the schools have late start day.  Regardless my family will be there bright and early for breakfast and the boys will get to enjoy at least part of the game before they head off to school.

zvillehaze

Quote from: HC on November 12, 2012, 10:07:02 AM
Its to bad this couldn't be a wednesday morning game when most of the schools have late start day.  Regardless my family will be there bright and early for breakfast and the boys will get to enjoy at least part of the game before they head off to school.

In 1998, I pulled my son out of 2nd grade to drive to Lexington for Butler's first round game (same afternoon as "The Shot", btw), and despite missing that day of class, he became a college graduate last May.   ;)  My vote is that your boys "miss the bus" and arrive at school around 9:30.   :twocents:

Quote from: vu72 on November 11, 2012, 09:51:56 PM
pancakes at 6!

http://www.valpoathletics.com/mbasketball/news/2012-13/12172/valpo-men-set-for-7am-tip-on-espn/

I find those game notes difficult to read with all the Twitter handles and hashtags all over the place.  I realize that Twitter is huge, but is it really necessary to state that "@ValpoHoops" played "@CanesHoops" in the NIT last year?  Curious if you guys like the format? 

valporun

Quote from: zvillehaze on November 12, 2012, 11:54:26 AM
Quote from: HC on November 12, 2012, 10:07:02 AM

In 1998, I pulled my son out of 2nd grade to drive to Lexington for Butler's first round game (same afternoon as "The Shot", btw), and despite missing that day of class, he became a college graduate last May.   ;)  My vote is that your boys "miss the bus" and arrive at school around 9:30.   :twocents:

Quote from: vu72 on November 11, 2012, 09:51:56 PM
pancakes at 6!

http://www.valpoathletics.com/mbasketball/news/2012-13/12172/valpo-men-set-for-7am-tip-on-espn/

I find those game notes difficult to read with all the Twitter handles and hashtags all over the place.  I realize that Twitter is huge, but is it really necessary to state that "@ValpoHoops" played "@CanesHoops" in the NIT last year?  Curious if you guys like the format? 

I just took a look at those game notes, and it does make it very hard to read, and redundant, to see @ValpoBasketball and the various Twitter handles all over the notes, especially when it's specific notes for our roster against last season's or prior opponents, @CanesHoops or @LMULions. It definitely is worthy of a couple of emails to Aaron Leavitt to voice our interest in making the game notes less Twitter happy, and more reader-friendly.

valporun

Saw this article on ESPN's website about the 24 Hour College Basketball Tip-off Marathon, and they asked a question about how we would do considering Kevin's offseason knee surgery, and how he would do post-op in the non-conference season.

7. How will Valparaiso perform against Northern Illinois with a healthy Kevin Van Wijk? There were a lot of questions about Valparaiso's prospects after the standout underwent offseason knee surgery. But his performance against Georgia Southern (16 points) in his team's season opener suggested that he's healthier than most realized. That's clearly a good sign for a Crusaders squad that needs to build momentum -- and give Van Wijk more reps so he can continue to work on his postsurgery mobility -- prior to the start of Horizon League play.

Here's the full blog entry: http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/66769/24-questions-for-espn-tip-off-marathon

valporun

Here are the game notes from the NIU athletics website:

http://www.niuhuskies.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/111212aac.html

Their notes don't have all the Twitter handles, just simple, straight-to-the-point notes about the teams, series history, and other details, including the other games in the Tip-off marathon and such.

HC

Quote from: zvillehaze on November 12, 2012, 11:54:26 AM1998, I pulled my son out of 2nd grade to drive to Lexington for Butler's first round game (same afternoon as "The Shot", btw), and despite missing that day of class, he became a college graduate last May.   ;)  My vote is that your boys "miss the bus" and arrive at school around 9:30.   :twocents:
This is a November game against NIU not a 1st round game in March!  He is going to school  :)   This might not be the case in March

agibson

Quote from: zvillehaze on November 12, 2012, 11:54:26 AM

I plan to be there with my family.  But, indeed, my son will have to leave for school and I for a lab.  My wife acted a little tempted to have our son "miss the bus" and show up late - but, indeed, school should come first.  Too bad ESPN couldn't accommodate late-start Wednesday ;)

Man, they've been killing me.  Emailing Aaron does seem reasonable - I should do it myself.

zvillehaze

Quote from: HC on November 12, 2012, 01:23:21 PM
Quote from: zvillehaze on November 12, 2012, 11:54:26 AM1998, I pulled my son out of 2nd grade to drive to Lexington for Butler's first round game (same afternoon as "The Shot", btw), and despite missing that day of class, he became a college graduate last May.   ;)  My vote is that your boys "miss the bus" and arrive at school around 9:30.   :twocents:
This is a November game against NIU not a 1st round game in March!  He is going to school  :)   This might not be the case in March

True.  Good for HC and agibson for making school a priority.  If your kids are like mine were, they'll probably enjoy the pancake breakfast more than the game!  ;D  Have fun!!

LaPorteAveApostle

...yet another argument for home-schooling!
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

valpotx

I absolutely hate the twitter-format for game notes, and this is coming from someone that uses Twitter for work at times.  It was perfectly fine the way it was, no need to 'new age' such a standard thing.  I don't know if it was done to drum up interest among the current students, but there has to be a better way than that annoying style...
"Don't mess with Texas"

HC

I just read the notes, what a mess.  It was hard to read and way to long.  :twocents:

agibson

Not sure if this has been discussed here.  I notice NIU lost their first game at Nebraska-Omaha 64-77.  The same Omaha team that Valpo will host over Thanksgiving.

Knowing very little about either team, I'd assumed Nebraska-Omaha wasn't much.  (The curse of the "directional" school?)

So, what's the correct conclusion?  Omaha's not much and NIU's _really_ not much?  Or might Omaha be some tough competition?  And perhaps NIU as well?

HC

Quote from: agibson on November 12, 2012, 06:28:14 PMSo, what's the correct conclusion?  Omaha's not much and NIU's _really_ not much?  Or might Omaha be some tough competition?  And perhaps NIU as well?
We will find out in 12 hours.

agibson

Hmm... NIU 4-25 last season, 4-14 in the MAC.  Nebraska-Omaha in their first year in D1.

Well, Nebraska, 4-15 in the Big Ten (man that sounds strange) last year.  Maybe this isn't the dark side of the moon, after all.  Kent State may be the real test?

vuweathernerd

i'd love to have been there for this game, or to have had this opportunity while i was in school. alas, i'll be watching from my hole in the ground in northern north dakota.

chef

looks like we're going to have a very good student turn out.

vuweathernerd

Quote from: chef on November 13, 2012, 06:15:16 AM
looks like we're going to have a very good student turn out.

good to hear. rider has a pretty good turnout overall for a 6am game. hopefully we can follow suit.