• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

St. Joe's Home FB Game Streamed Live on HLN

Started by VULB#62, August 23, 2012, 08:33:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VULB#62

VU just announced that among many other live streams, the St. Joe's home opener will be viewable on line on August 30th.  We'll all get a first hand look at the 2012 football team.     :dance:

St. Joe's is D-II and scholarshipped.  Here's hoping we see improvement and a win.

vu72

That's great news!  I've only seen two Valpo football games live on the net.  Hopefully they will broadcast all of them.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VULB#62

Unfortunately, no -- the only other one is Davidson.  Would have liked to have ALL the home games streamed -- maybe next year.

vu72

You'd think they would find a way to broadcast the Butler game (Homecoming).  Oh well...
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

jetz

I have done some basic research into streaming games at Valpo--in my case baseball.  In talking with the video crew at Wright State, they said it needed a video camera, hardwire internet connection, and a piece of gear called a "Tri-Caster" (I think).  Total cost is about $5K. Of course, you would also need a student volunteer to man the camera.  They can use the HLN site to broadcast.  Not sure if VU has any of the gear already, but I would think the communications students would be interested in doing some of this.  All VU football games could be streamed, as well as any other sporting events.  Anyone have a clue as to who to talk with to get this rolling? (Hello, ML!)
"How'd you like to mow my lawn?  Mmmm?  Mmmm?"--Judge Smails

vu72

Well, we do broadcast all the basketball and volleyball games so we must have the equipment.  It seems the problem is at Brown Field, the softball field or Em Bauer Field.  Probably has to do with the hard wire stuff you mentioned, but, if that is a problem how are they broadcasting the St. Joe game?  Very confusing.

covufan

Quote from: VULB#62 on August 23, 2012, 09:37:40 AM
Unfortunately, no -- the only other one is Davidson.  Would have liked to have ALL the home games streamed -- maybe next year.
Yes, it would be nice to be able to watch all of the home games.  I'm sure once the program gets better, it would also be nice to stream the away games back to the students - building a following among the students and those on campus.

VULB#62

Coach Carlson mentioned in an email reply that VU is working on, for lack of a real name, a "Crusader Sports Network" of their own.  Right now they are dependent on the HLN open dates to be able to slot streamed games.  With the CSN a lot more teams will get a chance to show their stuff.

Far flung alums, like myself, would really appreciate that move.

Speaking of video -- the preseason camp video summary is available.  Here's the link:

Valpo Football Camp and Scrimmage Wrap-up 8|23

covufan

Why does VU need an open HLN date?  Is the football team now a member of the HL?  I understand the VU connection to HLN, but shouldn't we be working with PFL for streaming?

KL31NY

Quote from: jetz on August 23, 2012, 10:45:33 AM
I have done some basic research into streaming games at Valpo--in my case baseball.  In talking with the video crew at Wright State, they said it needed a video camera, hardwire internet connection, and a piece of gear called a "Tri-Caster" (I think).  Total cost is about $5K. Of course, you would also need a student volunteer to man the camera.  They can use the HLN site to broadcast.  Not sure if VU has any of the gear already, but I would think the communications students would be interested in doing some of this.  All VU football games could be streamed, as well as any other sporting events.  Anyone have a clue as to who to talk with to get this rolling? (Hello, ML!)

Since I've had recent working experience with this kind of thing, here's my input to the best of my knowledge...

There's either only one "Tri-Caster" or only enough people to run a video broadcast for one event at a time... or both possibly. Demand is there for basketball and volleyball games, and it's easy to set up for them compared to other sports, so we get video for home basketball and volleyball games often. Football or soccer can be done as long as we aren't already committed to another event and it sets up all right. Softball, the press box is tiny and the fact that we had the video coverage we provided for the HL tournament last May (including some first day snafus) was actually pretty amazing. Baseball is about the same. Also hard to find quality locations for multiple cameras at Emory or VUSF without getting in the way. Eastgate doesn't have the necessary internet access (or even an available phone line for that matter), so live video is a no-go there and audio quality for radio broadcasts can be shaky.

Broadcasters for the Valpo video coverage are WVUR or VSRN people. Camera people are usually students who love on-air production, want a sports media career, and/or communication students working for class credit. The past couple years, depending on availability, the director running the "Tri-Caster" was either a Valpo/WVUR alum or a really good senior with video experience.
"Confidence is huge: believing you're better than the other guy gives you an advantage."
–Jason Kendall, Throwback, pp. 176

jetz

Quote from: KL31NY on August 23, 2012, 09:00:06 PM
Since I've had recent working experience with this kind of thing, here's my input to the best of my knowledge...

Thanks for the input.  I have seen college baseball games streamed where there was one camera set up on the third base side up high in the stands with no play by play.  The camera barely moved.  This wasn't great but better than nothing and it only took one guy to do it.  I think the big issue for Emory G. is the lack of hardwire internet access.  The SID last season (who has since gone to another school in Ohio) told me that the school would have to pay $25K (!!) to get a line over there.  I would submit that the Courtyard hotel directly behind the field has to have an internet connection, and it could be run from there.  Can't believe it would cost that kind of money to get a wire to the field, but I don't know...

"How'd you like to mow my lawn?  Mmmm?  Mmmm?"--Judge Smails

VULB#62

Quote from: covufan on August 23, 2012, 04:56:39 PM
Why does VU need an open HLN date?  Is the football team now a member of the HL?  I understand the VU connection to HLN, but shouldn't we be working with PFL for streaming?

I think the point is that VU football (FB and Bowling being the only non-HL sports at VU, I believe), at this point in time, leverages the HLN as the portal for streaming the games, because VU does not have that capability set up yet.  That accounts for the limited exposure at this time because as a non-HL sport, it has a lower priority when it comes to available time slots.  Coach Carlson has mentioned that this is going to change, because Valpo is evaluating setting up its own Sports Network to optimize streaming of a larger spectrum of games in a number of sports. But this is taking some time.  In the meantime the HLN portal is convenient and serves a purpose, albeit a limited one for now.

I personally as a distant alum can't wait for this to become reality.  I really enjoyed watching the Campbell FB win, a couple of MSO matches, several MBB games that were streamed on the HLN as well as the Baseball tourney games.  I can imagine how great it would be to have much, much more available that is not restricted by HLN scheduling and the need to spread the wealth among all league members

NuPudge

Being new to Valpo this would allow me to follow the football games when they travel away. Also I was at the start of school with Valpo alumi and many of them talked about this year football recruiting class looked and how they would love to be able to watch the games accross the Internet. I think this is a great thing to have for students, sport recruits, parents, teachers etc..

historyman

Many times you can hook into the opposing team's streaming of their home game. I remember watching the Valpo at San Diego football game 2 years ago on USDToreros.com . It will have the opposing team's announcers and sometimes there is a fee associated with the broadcast but it certainly is better than nothing. Obviously watching some of the games will depend on your financial standing. 

EDIT:
Dayton  http://www.daytonflyers.com/mens/football/schedule/       
Youngstown State   http://www.ysusports.com/sports/fball/2012-13/schedule
Campbell   http://www.gocamels.com/sports/fball/2012-13/schedule
all above show video feeds

Morehead State   http://www.msueagles.com/schedule.aspx?path=football&
shows a place for video coverage but no button yet and
San Diego   http://usdtoreros.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/sched/usd-m-footbl-sched.html
has had video in the past but nothing showing yet.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann