• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Football: Valpo vs. St. Joe

Started by setshot, August 26, 2012, 07:07:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

setshot

Although I'm hoping for a Valpo win,i'll predict that St. Joe beats Valpo by 10+ pts. If so, Valpo will be lucky to win a game this year. Should VU beat St. Joe,look for a 2-3 win season. Let's hope for the best. Go Valpo! :bowdown:

sectionee

Valpo loses by 35. I hope the Gavit/Boone Grove game at Brown Field last night won't be the best football game played there this fall.

historyman

You're giving St. Joe too much credit. The Pumas were 2-8 last year under first year head coach, Cory Sanders. They have been picked 4th in the coaches poll of their brand new football conference, The Great Lakes Valley Conference. The Pumas were picked 4th after University of Indianapolis, Urbana University, and Missouri Science & Technology in Rolla (pronounced Rah-la). The conference also includes Central State, Kentucky Wesleyan, McKendree, Quincy and Homer Drew's alma mater, William Jewell.

Look for a fairly even battle with St.Joe probably pulling out the victory unless Valpo's improvement is much greater than anticipated. If Valpo has made no improvement look for St. Joe to cruise easily with a 14 or 21 point win. The Pumas looked to have improved a bunch but they also had a long way to go in Coach Sanders 2nd year as head coach. That makes him one behind Coach Carlson who had to dig out of a much much bigger hole when he started at Valpo.

It is difficult to predict this one since it starts the season.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

sectionee

Hope you are right, but after averaging a -26 last year in the scoring column and losing by 43 the last time we played them (ironically that was the last fb game I attended) I'm going to stick by my prediction.

historyman

My answer at this point in Coach Carlson's time at Valpo is......................patience. EE and setshot just don't have that right now.

Many are also judging by point differential. Remember when a team gets down by 21 or more points it's a lot harder to get the team emotionally back in the game when defeat is all they know.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

VULB#62

I'm going for a win Thursday night.  I hope the kids fly to the ball on defense and that Eric Hoffman and the offense come out smoking. At the end of the game the scoreboard will reflect the difference between a D-II program and a D-I FCS program.

Besides, judging from the videos and pics so far, the team has finally abandoned those yukky black sox and are going with white sox.  To me that is a sign of movement in the right direction.    8)    Please dear God don't let them come out in those atrocious black sox.   

Valpo_Fred

Probably doing a St. Joe's preview interview with Coach Carlson in the next day or so. Do you guys have anything specific you want answered?

VULB#62

How about:

1 - An overview of the VU starting O and D lineups -- i.e., the kids we should be watching for on the stream.

2 - St. Joe's scouting report -- what they do well as a team, who are their key players and what to look for.

3 - A bit more detail on what were the "tweaks" in the O and the D that Coach Carlson alluded to in a previous video.

vu72

I kinda doubt Coach Carlson will want to dsiclose the "tweaks" he alluded to as it would give to much info regarding possible sets or new approaches.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VULB#62

You may be right, but it doesn't hurt to ask. Kinda doubt St. Joe's is scouting Youtube and this would air pretty close to game day or a day before.  Bottom line for me is that I want to know that stuff   :lol:

Valpo_Fred

Ya I'll submit whatever questions that are posted. It's up to him to answer them or not.

VULB#62

BTW Fred, I also agree that the backdrop should be more than the gray wall we saw behind Coach M.  Or are you going to o the office scene again?

historyman

What has Coach Carlson found to be most rewarding during his first 2 1/2 years at Valpo? It's been tough so far, I'd like to know what the rewards are at Valpo for him personally.

How long does Coach Carlson see himself staying at Valpo?

VULB#62

Great first question H-man.  Betcha he'll duck the second one  ;)

Valpo_Fred

This isn't a shoot for the official coaches show. This will be done from his office again, but will be posted on Youtube. A different backdrop to accommodate a two person shoot is in the works. We knew when we shot it that was something we needed.

VULB#62

:thumbsup:  to the taping.

Fred, I just finished reading the new FB blog.  I'd add another bunch of related questions to the show.  How does Coach see VU matching up against St Joe's? 

That is, who has the advantage:

Our OL vs. their DL and vice versa.
Our skilled offensive players vs. their LBs and secondary and Vice versa.
He already has stated that their kicking game is a big question mark.  Our punting is really good, but what about our new kickers?

setshot

Fred: Don't shoot the coach now. If at the end of the season we are 1-10 or 0-11, pull the trigger!

vu72

Question:  Are any of the freshman on the two deep lineup? Can he tell us the starting lineup?
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

vu72

Let's hope we drub St. Joe and the same field as we did tonight.  Valpo beat them in soccer 6-1 and out shot them 28-2!!!  That's probably the equivalent of winning 56-6 in football.

It has been pretty clear that in major sports Valpo has elevated its play to the D1 level with the notable exception of football. Let's all hope that starts changing Thursday night.

historyman

Quote from: VU72 on Today 09:28:46 PM

Let's hope we drub St. Joe and the same field as we did tonight.  Valpo beat them in soccer 6-1 and out shot them 28-2!!!  That's probably the equivalent of winning 56-6 in football.

It has been pretty clear that in major sports Valpo has elevated its play to the D1 level with the notable exception of football. Let's all hope that starts changing Thursday night.

To be fair St.Joe's mens soccer team was picked 13th out of 16th in their Div.2 GLVC soccer coaches poll:

http://athletics.saintjoe.edu/news/2012/8/8/MSOC_0808124739.aspx?path=msoc

VULB#62

This hasn't been mentioned earlier on this string nor in Coach Carlson's blog preview, so FYI:  St. Joe was 2-8 last year.

covufan

I'm looking for a win:

VU         34
St. Joe   20

valpotx

"Don't mess with Texas"

VULB#62

historyman

Quote from: VULB#62 on Today 07:22:46 AM

This hasn't been mentioned earlier on this string nor in Coach Carlson's blog preview, so FYI:  St. Joe was 2-8 last year.

Quote from: historyman on August 26, 2012 08:17:14 PM

You're giving St. Joe too much credit. The Pumas were 2-8 last year under first year head coach, Cory Sanders. They have been picked 4th in the coaches poll of their brand new football conference, The Great Lakes Valley Conference. The Pumas were picked 4th after University of Indianapolis, Urbana University, and Missouri Science & Technology in Rolla (pronounced Rah-la). The conference also includes Central State, Kentucky Wesleyan, McKendree, Quincy and Homer Drew's alma mater, William Jewell.