• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo vs. Youngstown St.

Started by setshot, August 31, 2012, 08:23:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

setshot

historyman

I don't think Valpo loses to YSU by 30 or more. This Valpo team will execute better next week and not give up. Youngstown may get out to a 35 or 42 point lead but I truly believe that when the Penguins put in their 2nd and 3rd strings the Crusaders will rally and close the gap to 21 or 24 points. Of course that is no where near a victory but it won't be the 60+ point loss they had last year. Valpo will have to settle for a moral victory but going from a 60+ point loss to a much more comfortable (and obviously unsatisfying) 20+ point loss will be a positive they will be able to take away from the game. Hopefully nobody will get injured badly and the rest of the PFL will be put on notice that Valpo will not be the pushover that they were last year.

Valpo didn't lose to St.Joe by 30+ points, did they?

Quote from: historyman on August 26, 2012 08:17:14 PM

Look for a fairly even battle with St.Joe probably pulling out the victory unless Valpo's improvement is much greater than anticipated.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

LaPorteAveApostle

vs. St. Joe
Setshot:  Although I'm hoping for a Valpo win,i'll predict that St. Joe beats Valpo by 10+ pts.
Result:  Loss by 2.
Therefore:  Setshot is off by at least 8 pts.

vs. YSU
Setshot:  Youngstown by 30+. Book it!

Therefore, by the transitive and commutative properties of addition and such, I pronounce historyman to be right when he says YSU by (about) 22.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

covufan

I'm hoping for closer this year, but leaning towards setshot prediction (unfortunately):

Valpo    17
YSU      49

valpotx

Unfortunately, we have never done well against the scholarship side, even with good teams:

YSU 56
Valpo 14
"Don't mess with Texas"

milanmiracle

77-13 and that's if YSU''s being nice. YSU was nice last year, and it really could have been worse. I think anybody who followed that game knows that. YSU is better than last year, and in case you weren't aware they return all 5 offensive lineman, their top wide receiver, their top running back AND thier starting quarterback. Valpo won't stay with 21 in the first quarter, yet alone the game.

*Prediction - Youngstown State beats Pittsburgh tomorrow (and yes I mean the Pitt Panthers)
"Tragedy is losing 86-7 and then having ESPN calling the press box and asking if the score is actually correct." - pgmado

vuweathernerd

Quote from: milanmiracle on August 31, 2012, 06:32:18 PM
77-13 and that's if YSU''s being nice. YSU was nice last year, and it really could have been worse. I think anybody who followed that game knows that. YSU is better than last year, and in case you weren't aware they return all 5 offensive lineman, their top wide receiver, their top running back AND thier starting quarterback. Valpo won't stay with 21 in the first quarter, yet alone the game.

*Prediction - Youngstown State beats Pittsburgh tomorrow (and yes I mean the Pitt Panthers)

two and a half minutes into the 4th quarter, and ysu is up 28-10 on pitt. so yeah, we're gonna get our asses kicked next weekend. sorry, but it's true.

milanmiracle

Youngstown State 31 Pitt 17

So can we all agree now that scheduling YSU is a BAD idea? Not only did they beat Pitt easily, but they did it by running at them. 204 yards on the ground and they controlled the line of scrimmage. Zero sacks allowed and minimal pressure from Pitt. Aaron Donald was a non factor the whole game as well. This is the return to the Tressel era YSU and until Coach Wolford is gone, they need to be off the VU schedule.

If I thought YSU would try, I'd say they'd hit 100, but they will play the managers and trainers about midway through the second quarter.
"Tragedy is losing 86-7 and then having ESPN calling the press box and asking if the score is actually correct." - pgmado

crusadermoe

Yeah I saw that YSU win over Pitt and wondered if you guys had seen it.     
I just hope that none of the key Valpo guys get hurt in this game.    I can't see why Valpo scheduled YSU once let alone twice.   Is it all for $?    Even if no one gets hurt, the game will throw any offensive timing and momentum completely out of sync.    At least losing to hoops to Duke or Kansas doesn't often inflict pain or broken bones.

vuweathernerd

Quote from: milanmiracle on September 01, 2012, 08:30:05 PM

So can we all agree now that scheduling YSU is a BAD idea? Not only did they beat Pitt easily, but they did it by running at them. 204 yards on the ground and they controlled the line of scrimmage. Zero sacks allowed and minimal pressure from Pitt. Aaron Donald was a non factor the whole game as well. This is the return to the Tressel era YSU and until Coach Wolford is gone, they need to be off the VU schedule.

If I thought YSU would try, I'd say they'd hit 100, but they will play the managers and trainers about midway through the second quarter.

talk about adding insult to injury. not only did they go into pitt and win, they got paid to do it. youngstown got a $400k paycheck to beat the panthers.

VULB#62

Hope the paycheck is worth it at YSU and the cost to VU in terms of injury is minimal.  See my post on the PFL

Milan -- Road Kill it is after this week's drubbings.

milanmiracle

Just looking at the YSU depth chart and the offensive line is BIG. That certainly helps the running game following the road graders up front. The backups aren't any smaller either. That will be the biggest challenge for the defense...keeping them from literally plowing them into the ground

LT 6'6 320
LG 6'3 315
C 6'3 295
RG 6'4 290
RT 6'6 315

VULB#62

Quote from: milanmiracle on September 03, 2012, 10:29:38 AM
Just looking at the YSU depth chart and the offensive line is BIG. That certainly helps the running game following the road graders up front. The backups aren't any smaller either. That will be the biggest challenge for the defense...keeping them from literally plowing them into the ground

LT 6'6 320
LG 6'3 315
C 6'3 295
RG 6'4 290
RT 6'6 315

Our Front 7 against that looks like this based on the 2-Deep:

DE 6'4" - 245
DT 6'3" - 300
DE 6'1" - 240
OLB 5'11" - 175
ILB 5'11" - 220
ILB 6'0" - 215
OLB 6'2" - 220

ouch.

vuweathernerd

Quote from: VULB#62 on September 03, 2012, 10:50:48 AM
Quote from: milanmiracle on September 03, 2012, 10:29:38 AM

LT 6'6 320
LG 6'3 315
C 6'3 295
RG 6'4 290
RT 6'6 315

Our Front 7 against that looks like this based on the 2-Deep:

DE 6'4" - 245
DT 6'3" - 300
DE 6'1" - 240
OLB 5'11" - 175
ILB 5'11" - 220
ILB 6'0" - 215
OLB 6'2" - 220

ouch.

we're screwed. no way we get any pressure with that o-line.

covufan

Quote from: vuweathernerd on September 02, 2012, 07:01:43 AM

talk about adding insult to injury. not only did they go into pitt and win, they got paid to do it. youngstown got a $400k paycheck to beat the panthers.
Maybe we should do the same!  Get paid to go into YSU - and WIN!!!

vuweathernerd

Quote from: covufan on September 03, 2012, 08:10:30 PM

i'm not sure if this is supposed to be a vote of confidence or just damn crazy.

vu84v2

My guess is that the result of this game will be about 70-6, though there is certainly a chance that it could "eclipse" the 84-0 pasting of Oklahoma State over Savannah State.

When people talk about Valpo somehow having a respectable football program, they need to consider how far below other non-scholarship schools Valpo is.  Butler lost at Western Illinois (same conference as Youngstown St.) by 23-15 and were driving at the end.

covufan

Quote from: vuweathernerd on September 03, 2012, 08:50:34 PM

Ha!  Somewhere in between.  Sometimes teams coming off an upset like YSU over Pitt might stumble in their next game.  Not sure Valpo is the PFL team that could come into YSU and perform that trick, but you never know.  I'm sure Pitt didn't schedule YSU thinking they would get beat, which is the same for YSU and Valpo. 

milanmiracle

Quote from: vuweathernerd on September 03, 2012, 08:50:34 PM

I'll go with option B, but my guess is they've never actually seen YSU...play.

milanmiracle

Quote from: vu84v2 on September 03, 2012, 08:58:59 PM
My guess is that the result of this game will be about 70-6, though there is certainly a chance that it could "eclipse" the 84-0 pasting of Oklahoma State over Savannah State.

When people talk about Valpo somehow having a respectable football program, they need to consider how far below other non-scholarship schools Valpo is.  Butler lost at Western Illinois (same conference as Youngstown St.) by 23-15 and were driving at the end.

And Northern Iowa lost by 5 to #12 Wisconsin (same conference as Youngstown St.)

valpotx

"Don't mess with Texas"

milanmiracle

VULB#62

This week's Sports Network FCS ranking update:

YSU Penguins moved from #13 to #6 and received 7 first place votes for 2,988 points.

Dayton received 12 points; Duquesne got 7 points; SDU 2 and Drake 1.  Drake takes on #3 Montana State Saturday and will not receive any points from that point on.  Dayton and Duquesne go at each other - one will probably drop out of the poll.

Didn't know this before but Paul Oren is a Pioneer voting representative.

VULB#62

This is from the VU Football Facebook site.  If you are not too squeamish you can watch the YSU game live at the following site:

http://client.stretchinternet.com/client/ysu.portal

covufan

Quote from: VULB#62 on September 04, 2012, 07:24:42 AM
This week's Sports Network FCS ranking update:

YSU Penguins moved from #13 to #6 and received 7 first place votes for 2,988 points.

Dayton received 12 points; Duquesne got 7 points; SDU 2 and Drake 1.  Drake takes on #3 Montana State Saturday and will not receive any points from that point on.  Dayton and Duquesne go at each other - one will probably drop out of the poll.

Didn't know this before but Paul Oren is a Pioneer voting representative.
Do you have a link to the Sports Network FCS ranking?  Thanks!