• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Recogntion for Rowdy

Started by crusaderguy08, September 05, 2012, 01:24:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaPorteAveApostle

Dude, if living in Florida has taught me anything, it's that the old men that say "i'm old but i could still kick your ass" are actually not the ones to worry about. It's the ones that have the Clint Eastwood look but don't say anything that you have to steer clear of.

(Although I do worry about the ones that are so sure their vocabulary is superior that they miss the fact that you were mocking them with a very intentional choice of words.)
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

FWalum

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on January 23, 2013, 10:06:43 PMDude
Whats with this constant use of the title "dude" when addressing people on the forum?
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

LaPorteAveApostle

Recent thing, it seems, (dude) ... it can be found 9 times in my last 15 posts (although only 4 times in the vocative case) but 0 in the 35 before that.

I'll leave it to HC to crunch the DPP (dudes per post) numbers, but I'm confident my recent spurt will have me among the conference leaders.

Dude.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

Smj

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on January 23, 2013, 10:52:07 PM
Recent thing, it seems, (dude) ... it can be found 9 times in my last 15 posts (although only 4 times in the vocative case) but 0 in the 35 before that.

I'll leave it to HC to crunch the DPP (dudes per post) numbers, but I'm confident my recent spurt will have me among the conference leaders.

Dude.

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=hnLweMNQoiE&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DhnLweMNQoiE
Or
http://www.youtube.com/#/watch?v=hnLweMNQoiE&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DhnLweMNQoiE

LaPorteAveApostle

valpotx

The dude abides, awesome movie
"Don't mess with Texas"

vuweathernerd

i love reading these types of back-and-forth type convos, especially when funny quotes or pictures make appearances. thank you all. :)

agibson

An Australian perspective on on Broekhoff

http://www.backpagelead.com.au/basketball/8595-broekhoff-goes-off-like-a-pot-of-popcorn

A few factual errors, but an interesting read.

Smj

Anyone know who won the HL player of the week award each week so far?

KL31NY

Rowdy has won POTW honors a season-high four times

Nov. 12 ..................................... Keifer Sykes, Green Bay
Nov. 19 ................... Kendrick Perry,Youngstown State
Nov. 26 .................................Ryan Broekhoff,Valparaiso
................................................. Gary Talton, UIC
Dec. 3................................... Cole Darling, Wright State
Dec. 10 .................................Ryan Broekhoff,Valparaiso
Dec. 17 ..............................................Daniel Barnes, UIC
Dec. 24 ..................................... Keifer Sykes, Green Bay
Dec. 31 .......................................Ray McCallum, Detroit
Jan. 7 ........................ Kendrick Perry,Youngstown State
Jan. 14....................................Ryan Broekhoff,Valparaiso
Jan. 21..................................... Kevin Van Wijk,Valparaiso
Jan. 28......................................... Alec Brown, Green Bay
Feb. 4 ........................................ Nick Minnerath, Detroit
Feb. 11...................................Ryan Broekhoff,Valparaiso
Feb. 18...................................... Nick Minnerath, Detroit
....................................... Keifer Sykes, Green Bay
Feb. 25..........................................Paris Gulley, Milwaukee
"Confidence is huge: believing you're better than the other guy gives you an advantage."
–Jason Kendall, Throwback, pp. 176

LaPorteAveApostle

Smj

Thanks!  I asked in this thread because I really want to see Ryan get recognized a player of the year. 
Can someone explain why Ray would even be in the running for player of the year when he only recieved player of the week once?   

Hopefully Ryan has amazing games for his last two regular season games and can lock up player of the year.

agibson

Quote from: KL31NY on February 24, 2013, 05:20:15 PMRowdy has won POTW honors a season-high four times

One more would tie him with Norris Cole and two others for "most ever in a single season", and get him on the top list (many-way tie for 12th, perhaps) for "most in career".

agibson

Quote from: Smj on February 24, 2013, 07:41:47 PMCan someone explain why Ray would even be in the running for player of the year when he only recieved player of the week once?   

Ryan got player of the year last year without winning player of the week once.  Player of the week tends to be about having one (or better two) season-high type games.

KL31NY

via ValpoAthletics

Broekhoff Named Finalist for Lou Henson Award

Valparaiso senior forward Ryan Broekhoff (Frankston, Victoria, Australia/Australian Institute of Sport) was named Monday as one of 25 finalists for the Lou Henson Award, which honors the top mid-major player in college basketball.  Fans can participate in the fan vote, which accounts for one-third of the final vote, by visiting VoteLouHenson.com.
"Confidence is huge: believing you're better than the other guy gives you an advantage."
–Jason Kendall, Throwback, pp. 176

valpopal

Quote from: KL31NY on February 25, 2013, 10:04:21 AM
via ValpoAthletics

Valparaiso senior forward Ryan Broekhoff (Frankston, Victoria, Australia/Australian Institute of Sport) was named Monday as one of 25 finalists for the Lou Henson Award, which honors the top mid-major player in college basketball.  Fans can participate in the fan vote, which accounts for one-third of the final vote, by visiting VoteLouHenson.com.

Already voted!

vufan75

Quote from: valpopal on February 25, 2013, 10:12:13 AM
Quote from: KL31NY on February 25, 2013, 10:04:21 AM
via ValpoAthletics

Already voted!

Make that another vote for Ryan!!

Kyle321n

Quote from: vufan75 on February 25, 2013, 11:04:01 AM
Quote from: valpopal on February 25, 2013, 10:12:13 AM
Quote from: KL31NY on February 25, 2013, 10:04:21 AMvia ValpoAthletics Broekhoff Named Finalist for Lou Henson Award Valparaiso senior forward Ryan Broekhoff (Frankston, Victoria, Australia/Australian Institute of Sport) was named Monday as one of 25 finalists for the Lou Henson Award, which honors the top mid-major player in college basketball.  Fans can participate in the fan vote, which accounts for one-third of the final vote, by visiting VoteLouHenson.com.
Already voted!
Make that another vote for Ryan!!
I voted 3 times.  I might go back and throw some more in later.
Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

agibson

Some competition, for sure.

Doug McDermott
Ray McCallum
Nate Wolters
Matthew Dellavedova

The rules say one vote per email address.  So, it doesn't seem like it's one of the "once a day" voting games.

But, the site doesn't seem very tightly designed, nor the rules, frankly, very tightly written.  You have to "Like" them on facebook.  Then you have to enter an email address and a name.  But, it doesn't seem to do anything with the email address?  It does mention that "irregular" votes will be invalid. 

But, it's not very clear on what that means.

It would be easy for them to delete multiple entries per email address.  It would be easy for them to delete multiple entries from the same name (though that's not in the rules).

Less clear are google-style multiple email addresses (myname@gmail.com, my.name@gmail.com, my..name@gmail.com).  Will those be declared irregular?

So, vote once, for sure!  (I did.)  It's a little less clear how many times you should vote, and under what circumstances.

Making this 1/3 of the vote doesn't particularly endear me to this Lou Henson award...

letsgovu

Quote from: agibson on February 25, 2013, 01:09:25 PMBut, the site doesn't seem very tightly designed, nor the rules, frankly, very tightly written.  You have to "Like" them on facebook.  Then you have to enter an email address and a name.  But, it doesn't seem to do anything with the email address?  It does mention that "irregular" votes will be invalid. 

yeah...thought it was strange that i had to agree to several facebook permissions, but oh well.  I filled in all of my email addresses and voted for Ryan. 

bbtds

talksalot

valpopal

Fan voting results thus far for Lou Henson Mid-Majors Player of the Year:

Top 10 Vote-Getters:
        Ian Clark, Belmont - 406 votes
        Jake Cohen, Davidson - 402 votes

Billy Baron, Canisius - 402 votes

Tommy Brenton, Stony Brook - 361 votes
        Ryan Broekhoff, Valparaiso - 323 votes

Jackie Carmichael, Illinois State - 288 votes

Jerelle Benimon, Towson - 262 votes

Zeke Marshall, Akron - 254 votes

D.J. Cooper, Ohio - 250 votes

Isaiah Canaan, Murray State - 246 votes

Go to VOTELOUHENSON.com to cast a vote!

sliman

The latest from the Point 3 site is below.  Ryan can use our help and he deserves it.
Top 10 Vote-Getters:
     Billy Baron, Canisius - 928 votes
    Jake Cohen, Davidson - 856 votes
    Jerelle Benimon, Towson - 650 votes
    Ian Clark, Belmont - 588 votes
    Tommy Brenton, Stony Brook - 574 votes
    Juan'ya Green, Niagara - 538 votes
    Isaiah Canaan, Murray State - 484 votes
    Ryan Broekhoff, Valparaiso - 448 votes
    Zeke Marshall, Akron - 444 votes
    Tyler Haws, BYU - 364 votes

Trying to get your guy the award?  Forward this email to all your people or have them go to VOTELOUHENSON.com to cast their own vote!

70zboy

Anyone who sees most of the VU games think Rowdy has a shot at the NBA? I've just seen 4 games in person the last 2 years and 3 of them have to be among his best (Saturday  - Green Bay, earlier this year at Milwaukee and last year Horizon Tournament vs. Butler). Also, how does Rowdy match up vs. Barton from 02? Thanks