Notifications
Clear all

Where are they now?

29 Posts
11 Users
6 Likes
(@valpotx)
Freshman

In the most recent MVC expansion, fans from other MVC programs were basically begging for GCU to be added.  I wonder if they add football in coming seasons, as the WAC is definitely wanting to be a top FCS conference on that side, given the moves they have made in the last 2 seasons.

Posted : 03/23/2024 11:08 PM
(@valpo-prof)
Recruit

@azvalpo My bad! I wasn't up to date with Depaul's hiring.

Posted : 03/24/2024 12:15 AM
(@usc4valpo)
Freshman

Interesting comments from the Chuckster regarding the GCU Alabama game, and he’s correct about GCU’s poor, confusing coaching.

https://athlonsports.com/college-basketball/charles-barkley-rips-grand-canyon-dumbest-game-basketball-seen

Posted : 03/27/2024 5:33 AM
(@justducky)
Freshman

Barkley wasn't wrong. Great defense from Alabama but there seemed to be very little coordinated effort by GCU to get players open shots. Even the best one on one players need a little help to find openings.

Posted : 03/27/2024 8:29 AM
(@valpotx)
Freshman

Interesting comments, especially since Bryce and Barkley played together on the Rockets.  He didn't mince words on what he thinks of Bryce's coaching plan lol

Posted : 03/27/2024 12:07 PM
(@valpopal)
Freshman
Topic starter

Barkley's comments may have had some validity but unfairly painted Bryce as a poor coach, a characterization that immediately spread throughout social media and has tarnished him. I watched Grand Canyon throughout the season, and they were a pretty disciplined team. They were ranked a very admirable #63 nationwide in offensive efficiency. Unfortunately, Bryce's players became flustered facing Alabama with a trip to the Sweet 16 on the line, especially since their usually reliable 3-point shooting was failing at 10% (2-20). However, when placed into context, Alabama was also engaged in less disciplined behavior as well, with the exception of their star player, Sears, who remained under control. In fact, both teams had the same number of turnovers (14), and GCU had the lead late in the game. GCU lost when they had a 4-minute drought at the close of the game. At 4:05 GCU missed a free throw that would have tied the game. Had they held the lead and won, Barkley and others would be praising GCU's wildly energetic play and faulted Alabama. 

Posted : 03/27/2024 1:10 PM
(@usc4valpo)
Freshman

@valpopal not sure I agree. I watched that game and wondered where the flow and passing was by GCU in that game. For that game the Chuckster was correct, but I'm not sure it assesses Drew's coaching skills. It was a rough game to watch.

Posted : 03/27/2024 3:27 PM
(@valpopal)
Freshman
Topic starter

Posted by: @usc4valpo

@valpopal not sure I agree. I watched that game and wondered where the flow and passing was by GCU in that game. For that game the Chuckster was correct, but I'm not sure it assesses Drew's coaching skills. It was a rough game to watch.

Where is the disagreement? I think I said the same thing.

Posted : 03/27/2024 3:42 PM
(@rezynezy)
Junior Varsity

@usc4valpo Here's the thing tho. You never trash your teammates. Even after you get out of the league. Doing so is asking for beef.

Posted : 03/27/2024 3:53 PM
 jd24
(@jd24)
Freshman

I like Barkley and he wasn't wrong. Keep in mind though, he went to Auburn. Rivalries die hard.

Posted : 03/27/2024 4:33 PM
(@historyman)
Freshman

Posted by: @valpotx

Interesting comments, especially since Bryce and Barkley played together on the Rockets.  He didn't mince words on what he thinks of Bryce's coaching plan lol

I wouldn't pick Charles Barkley for a playground basketball game. Ignorant ball hog!

Posted : 04/26/2024 12:58 PM
(@usc4valpo)
Freshman

The Chuckster was a great player and a HOFer. He can play on my team anytime.

Posted : 04/26/2024 2:13 PM
(@rezynezy)
Junior Varsity

Ben Krikke signs a pro contract with the Edmonton Stingers

Posted : 04/30/2024 7:42 PM
FWAlum reacted
(@valpotx)
Freshman

Good to see him get some pro practice in this Summer, before he goes to Europe in the Fall.

Posted : 05/01/2024 12:24 PM
Page 2 / 2

Share: