31 K Views
(@vok22)
Freshman

this is how I think things would shake out if the season started today 

Posted : 04/29/2024 6:09 PM
(@vulb62)
Freshman

@vok22 I disagree on at least one slot: PG

If the season started today, DD would start and McNair would see maybe 10 minutes per game over the first 7-10 games.  DD has two very important jobs in 24-25: 1) run a stable and consistent 0 and 2) mentor the transition and provide maturity to his successor - McNair. He will excel at both. 

Posted : 04/29/2024 7:16 PM
Djshdhshdvd and Tjjvalpo reacted
 vu72
(@vu72)
Freshman
Topic starter

@vulb62 Totally agree.  Zero chance that Darius isn't the starter game 1, unless he is hurt.

Posted : 04/29/2024 8:33 PM
(@vulb62)
Freshman

@vu72 And I would add that DD, after one year at the helm, will be even better at running Roger’s O, defending the perimeter and leading this team.  He is a coach’s kid. He has the genes.

Posted : 04/29/2024 9:06 PM
(@david81)
Freshman

Posted by: @vulb62

@vu72 And I would add that DD, after one year at the helm, will be even better at running Roger’s O, defending the perimeter and leading this team.  He is a coach’s kid. He has the genes.

He made huge strides this past season, but imagine how good he would be if he could just shoot 40 percent from the floor.

Indeed, if all of VU's rotation guards could get to 40+ percent shooting, a .500 season or beyond is within sight.

Posted : 04/29/2024 9:23 PM
(@justducky)
Freshman

After much thought about our starting lineup I threw every name in a hat and determined by blind draw that both Schwiegers, Shaw, Coulibaly and DD will be the chosen five. Even in a blind draw you can't keep Darius out of the starting lineup. Hmmmm. There might need to be some quick substitutions before the first media time out but I'll leave that up to Roger. Thinking  

Posted : 04/29/2024 9:59 PM
(@vulb62)
Freshman

@david81 David, I’d suggest that in year two of being PG1 DD will easily do that. Performance is so tied to self-confidence. RPJr showed confidence in this kid this past season and look what that produced. He responded by leading the team in a number of categories. Now he has that and his own confidence in the bank, and can rely on his own vibes to get to the next level. I’ll bet he’s  in the gym daily working on his 3pt shooting and everything else that’ll make him even better. I believe he has the skills, presence, leadership, personality and maturity to be one of Valpo’s best PGs. And from what I’ve observed, he will do that unselfishly.

Posted : 04/29/2024 10:05 PM
(@david81)
Freshman

@david81 David, I’d suggest that in year two of being PG1 DD will easily do that. Performance is so tied to self-confidence. RPJr showed confidence in this kid this past season and look what that produced. He responded by leading the team in a number of categories. Now he has that and his own confidence in the bank, and can rely on his own vibes to get to the next level. I’ll bet he’s  in the gym daily working on his 3pt shooting and everything else that’ll make him even better. I believe he has the skills, presence, leadership, personality and maturity to be one of Valpo’s best PGs. And from what I’ve observed, he will do that unselfishly.

Darius had mostly rim-denting games early in the season, even as he provided value in many other ways. Then he started to generate some offense -- inconsistent as all get out, but still, he showed he could score. If he could take yet another step forward and develop a steady scoring punch, that would be awesome.

Posted : 04/29/2024 10:17 PM
 jd24
(@jd24)
Freshman

Darius may improve yet again and he's a very good on ball defender. However he can be manhandled by bigger guards defensively. The team overall must improve defensively and I think that factor is one none of us is going to be able to determine.

That said Darius is the likely starter day one. I think McNair will see more than 10 mins a game. Ellis may start on the wing particularly early in the year. I had hoped there would be a big brought in with some scoring ability so a big lineup with Scroggins, Cooper and big #2 in there together but that will be tough to do with the roster as it is.

Looking over all at the roster, a guard short at this point I think.

Posted : 04/29/2024 10:36 PM
(@vulb62)
Freshman

Posted by: @jd24

Based on Paul’s TVB article on the new signees, it appears that RPJr. feels similarly.

Posted : 04/30/2024 8:35 AM
 vu72
(@vu72)
Freshman
Topic starter

Darius had the second best three point shooting average on the entire team at 35.9% on 92 attempts.  Better yet was his in conference average of 41% on 61 attempts. I think any of us would take another 41% from Darius.

Posted : 04/30/2024 12:07 PM
VUBBFan reacted
(@backagain2024)
Freshman

Posted by: @jd24

Based on Paul’s TVB article on the new signees, it appears that RPJr. feels similarly.

Correct. Please standby! 

Posted : 04/30/2024 3:38 PM
 jd24
(@jd24)
Freshman

Posted by: @vu72

Darius had the second best three point shooting average on the entire team at 35.9% on 92 attempts.  Better yet was his in conference average of 41% on 61 attempts. I think any of us would take another 41% from Darius.

What's remarkable is Darius shot better from 3 than overall both in and out of conference.

Posted : 04/30/2024 4:17 PM
(@sdndhdbdb)
Freshman

Incoming

This post was modified 3 weeks ago by Djshdhshdvd

Posted : 05/01/2024 3:08 PM
(@rezynezy)
Junior Varsity

@seethelight2026 You are really not helping your case that you are an incognito staff member dude

Posted : 05/01/2024 3:36 PM
Page 42 / 49

Share: