Clear all

Transfers

723 Posts
42 Users
112 Reactions
31 K Views
(@justducky)
Freshman

Has anybody developed opinions on our new freshman guard recruit? Does he get many minutes as a 1 or 2 guard next season? If so did the additional competition help push Weatherspoon out?

Posted : 05/02/2024 10:23 AM
(@rs1207)
Freshman

Since Justus is more of a 2 guard I think All Wright will see plenty of minutes at point. Probably similar to what Williamson had last year.  15 points and 7 assists per game at Links top team certainly shows he is capable I believe to provide excellent back up to DD.

Posted : 05/02/2024 10:55 AM
(@justducky)
Freshman

Posted by: @rs1207

Since Justus is more of a 2 guard I think All Wright will see plenty of minutes at point. Probably similar to what Williamson had last year.  15 points and 7 assists per game at Links top team certainly shows he is capable I believe to provide excellent back up to DD.

I looked but found no stat sheet. When somebody does please share it with us.

Posted : 05/02/2024 11:01 AM
(@vok22)
Freshman

If the Link Prep coach seemed to indicate in POs article that he’ll get minutes and be good. Ill envision Justus as Staffords backup for now, then. 

Posted : 05/02/2024 11:09 AM
(@valpopal)
Freshman

So, it looks like the new additions to the team are McNair, Wright, Ellis, Schmidt, Ca. Schwieger, Coulibaly, Shaw, and Salem. Even if we add Scroggins who moves from redshirt to active, it appears the only players of the nine to have any D-I experience are Shaw and Coulibaly. I didn't think it was possible, but Valpo could be among the most inexperienced teams in the nation again this year.

When Roger adamantly said he was going to be adding "studs" to the program through the transfer portal, I admit this is not what I envisioned. I hope for the best, but I am reminded again of Forrest Gump when I look at this group, they are "like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're going to get." 

Here is one view of the portal class results with Valpo's net gain or loss based upon perceived player value and experience:

https://twitter.com/SBUnfurled/status/1786062575198773351

This post was modified 3 weeks ago 2 times by valpopal

Posted : 05/02/2024 11:10 AM
 jd24
(@jd24)
Freshman

It is what it is. I agree with valpopal that when someone says they are going to work the portal hard, the thought that this would mean a whole bunch of guys who've never played (to any great degree) is not what comes to mind. 

We'll see. 

Posted : 05/02/2024 2:03 PM
(@rs1207)
Freshman

With 350+ other schools working the Portal it is not that easy.  With players looking for NIL money and schools that have had a recent proven good track record it may not be able to get these "Dudes" to come to Valpo. I think this team is an improvement over last year. How big .... like  jd24 says "we'll see". 

Posted : 05/02/2024 2:15 PM
(@justducky)
Freshman

Posted by: @jd24

It is what it is. I agree with valpopal that when someone says they are going to work the portal hard, the thought that this would mean a whole bunch of guys who've never played (to any great degree) is not what comes to mind. 

We'll see. 

Schmidt looks like the only addition with only one year of eligibility remaining. Looks like Roger found somewhat better talent but it is still young and largely untested talent. If he has a target year then it still appears to be 2025-2026 or beyond. On the plus side we should be able to stay close and win some of the games we were blown out of in 23-24.

Posted : 05/02/2024 2:28 PM
 vu72
(@vu72)
Freshman
Topic starter

I think we've made improvement and here's why.  Remember seeing Cooper or Sepp trying to stop a guy like Prim?  We now have a 6'9" 245# guy who can move.  Remember being out-rebounded by 5 on average?  We now have Carson (suppose to be a better rebounded that Cooper (our best last year) and Scroggins, not to miss the afore mentioned 245#er)  Remember shooting 32% from the 3 as a team?  The guys added, on paper at least, seem to be able to fix that.

Agreed we didn't get the frustrated 4 star from Kansas et al but we got a bunch of guys who fit the Powell Jr. mold as well as addressing glaring needs from last year.  Hope springs eternal!

Posted : 05/02/2024 2:53 PM
(@valpotx)
Freshman

I trust in Powell until he proves me otherwise.  If guys that played in the Big 10 and professionally are excited about the talent level of our folks coming in, just like they were with Cooper, I think that we will be pleasantly surprised this next season.

Posted : 05/02/2024 9:55 PM
(@david81)
Freshman

Well, no one can say that Coach Powell isn't decisive. At various times last season (especially first half), Williamson, Edwards, Weatherspoon, and Ojiboye all had some strong showings and together racked up a lot of quality minutes.

All gone.

No way this coaching staff simply swapped them out for guys who aren't a noticeable step up.

This post was modified 3 weeks ago by David81

Posted : 05/02/2024 11:38 PM
(@whvalpo)
Freshman

Posted by: @david81

Well, no one can say that Coach Powell isn't decisive. At various times last season (especially first half), Williamson, Edwards, Weatherspoon, and Ojiboye all had some strong showings and together racked up a lot of quality minutes, especially during the first half.

All gone.

No way this coaching staff simply swapped them out for guys who aren't a noticeable step up.

Roger said on more than one occasion toward the end of the season that players were “auditioning” for roster spots on next years team. Obviously, he wasn’t kidding. To your point, a ton of player development and playing time was invested in young, inexperienced players who aren’t returning. Let’s hope this new crop yields better long term results. 

Posted : 05/03/2024 11:45 AM
(@rezynezy)
Junior Varsity

I said on the news forum that I saw some football programs are now having their athletes sign contracts for play. Some of which are including no transfer clauses. While the finer details of these contracts aren't public knowledge, I think there is reason to believe that contracts are going to be the future of NIL and college sports

Posted : 05/03/2024 12:06 PM
(@valpopal)
Freshman

According to Bart Torvik's 24-25 extremely early projections following the close of the transfer portal, Valparaiso would rank at 219 in the nation and would be projected to finish in a tie with Evansville for 8th place in the MVC. Though I have no idea how he can do this without a schedule yet set (he uses 2024 schedules) or completion of transfers, he predicts an overall record for VU of 16-15 and a conference record of 9-11.

I hope he is incorrect, since I would not be satisfied with any performance less than 6th place and an even conference record of 10-10, especially considering the transfer and graduation shake-ups on other conference teams. Also, according to the chart, Valpo is second only to Bradley in the conference with returning minutes per game.  

https://barttorvik.com/trankpre.php?conlimit=MVC&state=All&year=2024&sort=

This post was modified 3 weeks ago 6 times by valpopal

Posted : 05/03/2024 12:20 PM
(@rezynezy)
Junior Varsity

Posted by: @valpopal

According to Bart Torvik's 24-25 extremely early projections following the close of the transfer portal, Valparaiso would rank at 219 in the nation and would be projected to finish in a tie with Evansville for 8th place in the MVC. Though I have no idea how he can do this without a schedule yet set or completion of transfers, he predicts an overall record for VU of 16-15 and a conference record of 9-11.

I hope he is incorrect, since I would not be satisfied with any performance less than 6th place and an even conference record of 10-10, especially considering the transfer and graduation shake-ups on other conference teams. Also, according to the chart, Valpo is second only to Bradley in the conference with returning minutes per game.  

https://barttorvik.com/trankpre.php?conlimit=MVC&state=All&year=2024&sort=

The record is most likely because of VUs reputation in the valley not being great. I dont think VU was ever not a bottom feeder under Lottich,

Posted : 05/03/2024 12:28 PM
Page 44 / 49

Share: