Transfers

723 Posts
42 Users
112 Reactions
29.9 K Views
(@valpopal)
Freshman

Posted by: @rezynezy

The record is most likely because of VUs reputation in the valley not being great. I dont think VU was ever not a bottom feeder under Lottich,

The records are supposedly objective and data driven with no consideration for subjective information like past reputation.

Posted : 05/03/2024 12:31 PM
(@speedypitcher37)
Freshman

I would be highly skeptical of these rankings given that it does not have many of the new pickups and projects Joe Vick to have the 9th most minutes on the team…

Posted : 05/03/2024 1:07 PM
ReZyNeZy and vu72 reacted
(@rezynezy)
Junior Varsity

I have seen a lot of times that teams get jipped in early rankings because all you have to go off of is prior success(or failures). Case in point, no one probably expected the Cubs to have one of the best records in baseball this season. 

Posted : 05/03/2024 1:42 PM
(@rezynezy)
Junior Varsity

https://twitter.com/RogerPowellJr/status/1786451127766020568

Looks like we are getting a portal straggler

Posted : 05/03/2024 2:08 PM
 vu72
(@vu72)
Freshman
Topic starter

One thing is for sure and that is we will have a LOT more size available this coming season.  We lost Palm at 6'10", Ajiboye at 6'7", Barrett at 6'6" and Edwards at 6'5".  Everyone else was shorter.  We've added two guys at 6'9", two at 6'8" and one at 6'6".  This certainly will help our rebound woes and give coach lots more options.

Posted : 05/03/2024 3:45 PM
(@vulb62)
Freshman

Posted by: @rezynezy

https://twitter.com/RogerPowellJr/status/1786451127766020568

Looks like we are getting a portal straggler

It was my understanding that the portal closure deadlines (UG & G)  meant a player couldn’t ENTER the portal after those dates.  But players already in the portal who had not committed to a new team were still fair game to sign up to the beginning of the new school year. So……. with one scholly still open, there’s still a chance to get that 6’10”, 245# big with two years of eligibility and 36” vertical we’ve all been waiting for 🙄

Oh, and I will say, however, that we probably have the best dancing HC in the MVC if not all of D-I.

Actually, isn’t time for a dance-off with Brian Wardle?

This post was modified 2 weeks ago 4 times by VULB62

Posted : 05/03/2024 4:21 PM
(@valpopal)
Freshman

Posted by: @vu72

One thing is for sure and that is we will have a LOT more size available this coming season.  We lost Palm at 6'10", Ajiboye at 6'7", Barrett at 6'6" and Edwards at 6'5".  Everyone else was shorter.  We've added two guys at 6'9", two at 6'8" and one at 6'6".  This certainly will help our rebound woes and give coach lots more options.

Another perspective is if you are looking at the projected roster and counting Scroggins and Coulibay as the 6'9" guys, we were already scheduled to get Scroggins and Manyang (6'10") back from their redshirt year. The only real addition of height is a result of two redshirt status spots removed from the roster. Of those we've added:

Palm (6'10") was replaced by Ca. Schwieger (6'8") [-2]

Ojiboye (6'7") was replaced by Shaw (6'7")

Barrett (6'6") was replaced by Ellis (6'6")

Edwards (6'6") was replaced by Wright (6'3") [-3]

Weatherspoon (6'3") was replaced by Salem (6'3")

Williamson (6'1") was replaced by McNair (6'3") [+2]

Sciarroni (6'0") was replaced by Schmidt (6'4") [+4]

Overall, with the loss of an inch from Manyang to Coulibay [-1], there was actually no addition in height to the projected roster. It is exactly the same. The five players last season with the most starts were DeAveirio, Stafford, Edwards, Schwieger, and Palm. Three will likely start again this year, with Edwards (6'6") replaced by Shaw (6'7") or Ellis (6'6") and Palm (6'10") replaced by Scroggins (6'9"): again, no gain of height in the starting lineup.

This post was modified 2 weeks ago 2 times by valpopal

Posted : 05/03/2024 4:37 PM
(@justducky)
Freshman

I am still disappointed by the departures of Williamson and Weatherspoon. I thought that both might stick around for the complete program rebuild. 

BUT! If we compare the 23-24 rookies (Sepp, Williamson, Schwieger, Weatherspoon) to the 24-25 rookies (Scroggins, Schwieger, Wright, McNair), the second bunch comes with higher recommendations and expectations so look likelier to be better. With the talent and scoring we return, plus our upgrading from the transfer portal, and our high quality freshmen----What kind of team progress can we expect by March of 2025? Yes this new team still has limitations but every problem was positively addressed. 

Posted : 05/03/2024 5:00 PM
 vu72
(@vu72)
Freshman
Topic starter

@valpopal I was comparing the available size on last years roster to what will be available this coming year.  Manyang and Scroggins were not available so are not part of the comparison.

And Shaw is listed at 6'8"

This post was modified 2 weeks ago by vu72

Posted : 05/03/2024 6:02 PM
(@valpopal)
Freshman

Posted by: @vu72

@valpopal I was comparing the available size on last years roster to what will be available this coming year.  Manyang and Scroggins were not available so are not part of the comparison.

And Shaw is listed at 6'8"

I acknowledged what you were doing but said I was offering "another perspective," comparing "the projected roster" to the current roster, and I indicated the difference in any perceived "addition of height is a result of two redshirt status spots removed from the roster," not from a gain in the transfer portal.

As for Shaw, the Verbal Commits transfer portal and its Valparaiso team chart list him as 6'7"; however, I am not going to quibble on an inch, especially since he is at an age when growth occurs and it doesn't change anything in my assessment. Indeed, as I pointed out, when looking at the starting lineup, there is no increase in height.  

Posted : 05/03/2024 6:50 PM
(@brandon)
Recruit

My story on Isaiah Shaw on the Valpo Athletics site is recommended reading, if I do say so myself. He was great to talk to... when I call our signees it's normally a few minutes but he and I talked for 30+ min. I think fans and those of us around the program are going to really enjoy Isaiah. 

removed link  

Posted : 05/03/2024 7:52 PM
Talksalot, humbleopinion, vu72 and 1 people reacted
(@rezynezy)
Junior Varsity

One thing I can put in Powell's favor is that even if some of these transfers don't work out, he and his team have really pushed for community involvement. Just saw that Coop and Zai were guests at the former "Camp Coolman" at VHS. Local outreach like that did not seem to get done under previous coaches.

This post was modified 2 weeks ago by ReZyNeZy

Posted : 05/03/2024 8:54 PM
(@vulb62)
Freshman

I have had no concern with the character and values of any kid RPJr has recruited. They’ve all been super people. 

Posted : 05/03/2024 9:54 PM
(@thevictorybell)
Freshman

Posted by: @brandon

My story on Isaiah Shaw on the Valpo Athletics site is recommended reading, if I do say so myself. He was great to talk to... when I call our signees it's normally a few minutes but he and I talked for 30+ min. I think fans and those of us around the program are going to really enjoy Isaiah. 

removed link  

You have to be careful with this Brandon. I tried to say the same thing and I was laughed at. 

Posted : 05/03/2024 10:09 PM
Talksalot and ReZyNeZy reacted
(@whvalpo)
Freshman

Posted by: @brandon

removed link  

Excellent!

Posted : 05/03/2024 10:24 PM
Page 45 / 49

Share: