Clear all

Transfers

723 Posts
42 Users
112 Reactions
34.4 K Views
(@rezynezy)
Junior Varsity

@jd24 You're right. Unless the portal calms down and we can get the old rules back. P6 is going to walk all over everyone else. Heck. Even some P6 schools are going to walk over other P6 schools. In my mind NIL is not the problem. The open portal is the issue that needs resolved.

This post was modified 3 weeks ago by ReZyNeZy

Posted : 05/10/2024 12:40 PM
 jd24
(@jd24)
Freshman

The old rules are not coming back. In fact, it wouldn't shock me if they loosen a bit. 

Who says the number of eligible years should be a finite number and if I'm in graduate school for 5 years I can't have 9 years of eligibility? 

This post was modified 3 weeks ago by jd24

Posted : 05/10/2024 2:21 PM
(@rezynezy)
Junior Varsity

@jd24 My statement has always been this. Student comes before athlete, but being a student does not deny that you are still an athlete. There needs to be give and take on both ends. Being a student requires you to maintain academic integrity, being an athlete should require you to give up some autonomy as to transfers.

Posted : 05/10/2024 2:39 PM
(@nocru)
Freshman

The old rules are never coming back.   Any time money is involved no one goes backwards and gives that up.  It compounds. 

I don’t see any scenario other than less regulation.  The money is flowing in. Institutions either have it or not and if you don’t, you’re done.  

Being a student will not determine if you can play college sports.   As long as you’re affiliated or a representative of the university, you’re good.  I can totally see this happening and just a matter of time

This post was modified 3 weeks ago 2 times by NoCru

Posted : 05/10/2024 6:24 PM
(@usc4valpo)
Freshman

The sooner the NCAA and their archaic cronies cease to exist, the better. 

Posted : 05/10/2024 9:04 PM
 jd24
(@jd24)
Freshman

Posted by: @rezynezy

@jd24 My statement has always been this. Student comes before athlete, but being a student does not deny that you are still an athlete. There needs to be give and take on both ends. Being a student requires you to maintain academic integrity, being an athlete should require you to give up some autonomy as to transfers.

Virtually everything from a legal standpoint is going to force this issue to go in completely the opposite direction. 

Posted : 05/10/2024 9:24 PM
(@rezynezy)
Junior Varsity

Posted by: @jd24

Virtually everything from a legal standpoint is going to force this issue to go in completely the opposite direction. 

True, but I feel like people need to realize that athlete is still a valid part of the phrase. The only reason these big shot lawyers use language like "protecting the interests of the students" is because no one would support them if they told them that all they care about is getting the bag.

Posted : 05/10/2024 9:30 PM
(@vulb62)
Freshman

We can bang our heads against the wall about whether NIL is proper or not or the fairness of it all but it's going to be around in some form moving forward. As far as being fair, it's never been fair...scholarships for athletic ability or NIL....it just may seem moreso currently and that's going to be in part because Valpo isn't in a great position to compete in the current environment in my opinion. 

There is the major lawsuit which is coming to a settlement over the next few months which may help clarify and control the entire situation but, no matter the solution, the big guns are going to always overshadow those with the water pistols. 

JD, I share your view. And it discourages me  

This whole cluster is 99% US collegiate sports (Canada does a collegiate lite thing that is more aligned with our D-III, I believe). If I am not mistaken, no other modern western country does what we do. As a matter of fact, no other modern western country takes the same approach to scholastic sports as the US.  

In the rest of the world, school is school, sports are separate. Whether it is tennis, track, football (soccer), rowing or whatever, sports are elective and done on an individual basis outside of school, usually within a club system. Great athletes rise to the professional club level.  At schools, any athletic competition generally is more on an intramural level.   One exception, perhaps, is the Cambridge/Oxford rowing regatta that I can’t quite account for.  

In the US, we are so proud of how our colleges feed the olympic and professional sports ranks, We adore our college athletes and attend events in campus stadiums that have over 100,000 seats. Yet much smaller countries that do not rely on multi-million dollar collegiate athletic programs are able to compete with US teams. How can that be? Perhaps other countries have a better perspective. Granted, many European sportsmen come to the US to improve particular skills in some sports (basketball mainly), but that is more of an outlier.

So let’s call it what it is, a wide-ranging money grab at all levels (players through coaches, through institutions, through governing bodies) that is led by the NCAA and the AAU. Sadly, it is what it is and there is no going back. 

Posted : 05/10/2024 10:12 PM
(@rezynezy)
Junior Varsity

Posted by: @vulb62

We can bang our heads against the wall about whether NIL is proper or not or the fairness of it all but it's going to be around in some form moving forward. As far as being fair, it's never been fair...scholarships for athletic ability or NIL....it just may seem moreso currently and that's going to be in part because Valpo isn't in a great position to compete in the current environment in my opinion. 

There is the major lawsuit which is coming to a settlement over the next few months which may help clarify and control the entire situation but, no matter the solution, the big guns are going to always overshadow those with the water pistols. 

This whole cluster is 99% US collegiate sports (Canada does a collegiate lite thing that is more aligned with our D-III, I believe). If I am not mistaken, no other modern western country does what we do. As a matter of fact, no other modern western country takes the same approach to scholastic sports as the US.  

In the rest of the world, school is school, sports are separate. Whether it is tennis, track, football (soccer), rowing or whatever, sports are elective and done on an individual basis outside of school, usually within a club system. Great athletes rise to the professional club level.  At schools, any athletic competition generally is more on an intramural level.   One exception, perhaps, is the Cambridge/Oxford rowing regatta that I can’t quite account for.  

In the US, we are so proud of how our colleges feed the Olympic and professional sports ranks, We adore our college athletes and attend events in campus stadiums that have over 100,000 seats. Yet much smaller countries that do not rely on multi-million dollar collegiate athletic programs are able to compete with US teams. How can that be? Perhaps other countries have a better perspective. Granted, many European sportsmen come to the US to improve particular skills in some sports (basketball mainly), but that is more of an outlier.

So let’s call it what it is, a wide-ranging money grab at all levels (players through coaches, through institutions, through governing bodies) that is led by the NCAA and the AAU. Sadly, it is what it is and there is no going back. 

I dont think its right to compare US based teams to European teams. Those European teams are the best those countries have to offer vs Joe Schmoe- Straight off the Couch. Our best athletes dont compete all on one roster unless it is the olympic games. And the US blows just about every other country out of the water in medal counts.  

Posted : 05/10/2024 10:24 PM
(@vulb62)
Freshman

In the US, we are so proud of how our colleges feed the Olympic and professional sports ranks, We adore our college athletes and attend events in campus stadiums that have over 100,000 seats. Yet much smaller countries that do not rely on multi-million dollar collegiate athletic programs are able to compete with US teams. How can that be? Perhaps other countries have a better perspective. Granted, many European sportsmen come to the US to improve particular skills in some sports (basketball mainly), but that is more of an outlier.

I dont think its right to compare US based teams to European teams. Those European teams are the best those countries have to offer vs Joe Schmoe- Straight off the Couch. Our best athletes dont compete all on one roster unless it is the olympic games. And the US blows just about every other country out of the water in medal counts.  

I wasn’t.  I was comparing the collegiate experience in the rest of the world against the US collegiate experience. US schools spend billions annually to support collegiate sports and that has opened the door to the NIL and transfer fiasco we are now seeing.  We simply are reaping what we have sown for well over a century.  My mention of non-American countries’ sports competitiveness without humungous college feeder systems goes to the fact that it is in stark contrast to what we just see as normal.  

This post was modified 3 weeks ago by VULB62

Posted : 05/10/2024 11:36 PM
(@rezynezy)
Junior Varsity

Got it. I can account for some soccer minds as I know a few people across the pond. Their big issue is middle eastern oil barons buying teams who then buy players. In soccer, there are no salary caps and drafts/trades for the most part. As long as you have the green, you can effectively buy whoever you want. I would compare our college athletics to the Premier League in England. Mostly local teams who can get promoted and relegated depending on relevance. With about the same 2 or 3 teams winning it all year after year. This should sound familiar. 

Posted : 05/11/2024 12:15 AM
 jd24
(@jd24)
Freshman

The money is just distributed differently in International Soccer. In the US, the affiliation is with the school. For instance, if we did away with the NCAA and essentially made the football programs currently at the schools into club/minor league/semi-pro teams known as the Gainseville Gators, Tuscaloosa Crimson Tide and Ann Arbor Wolverines nobody in a relative sense would pay attention. Change that to Florida, Alabama and Michigan and it's incredibly popular because now they are "our guys". 

The minor leaguers are worth little. "Our guys" are worth a lot. 

Posted : 05/11/2024 9:38 AM
(@rezynezy)
Junior Varsity

The money is just distributed differently in International Soccer. In the US, the affiliation is with the school. For instance, if we did away with the NCAA and essentially made the football programs currently at the schools into club/minor league/semi-pro teams known as the Gainseville Gators, Tuscaloosa Crimson Tide and Ann Arbor Wolverines nobody in a relative sense would pay attention. Change that to Florida, Alabama and Michigan and it's incredibly popular because now they are "our guys". 

The minor leaguers are worth little. "Our guys" are worth a lot. 

Eventually, I do see CFB becoming its own separate entity entirely. Their interests just don't align with other college sports, and that includes MBB. Honestly I am all for this. Let College Football make its own conferences, NIL, etc.. and keep everything else separate.

Posted : 05/11/2024 4:11 PM
(@vulb62)
Freshman

@rezynezy Saw your recent post to MVCFans about the same thing.  Got me thinking how that was gonna happen.  Because of the way I think (in another life I was a systems analyst) the logical approach (and that immediately renders what I will say next as “what was he smoking” exclamations from BCS ADs and presidents) is to take the 134 programs and divide them into 12 conferences of 10 or 11 schools each) by geographical region (similar to the NFL).  Base a playoff system on that and let ‘er rip.

This new league, the University FB League (UFBL), would be football only and would be outside of all other sports at the involved universities.  Conference affiliations for all other sports could then align separately in a more cost-effective manner.

But there is a major issue here with my logic. What about the BCS schools who are barely able to compete for even lower level bowls (i.e., not the Alabamas or not the Ohio States. More like the UMasses, UConns , Kennesaw States and the (now) Missouri States)??? Ha!  I've got that covered. Simple, divide the 134 schools so as to create a lower division and employ the promotion/relegation concept used in the English Premier League:  Six Premier Conferences and six Second Division Conferences.  The bottom dweller in each of the six Premier Conferences gets demoted whilst the Second Division Champions get promoted.

There!  I have single-handedly fixed college football (or not 🥺).

Fooling around aside, the key is getting FBS schools away from the rest of college sports.

This post was modified 3 weeks ago 3 times by VULB62

Posted : 05/11/2024 5:50 PM
ReZyNeZy reacted
(@rezynezy)
Junior Varsity

@rezynezy Saw your recent post to MVCFans about the same thing.  Got me thinking how that was gonna happen.  Because of the way I think (in another life I was a systems analyst) the logical approach (and that immediately renders what I will say next as “what was he smoking” exclamations from BCS ADs and presidents) is to take the 134 programs and divide them into 12 conferences of 10 or 11 schools each) by geographical region (similar to the NFL).  Base a playoff system on that and let ‘er rip.

This new league, the University FB League (UFBL), would be football only and would be outside of all other sports at the involved universities.  Conference affiliations for all other sports could then align separately in a more cost-effective manner.

But there is a major issue here with my logic. What about the BCS schools who are barely able to compete for even lower level bowls (i.e., not the Alabamas or not the Ohio States. More like the UMasses, UConns , Kennesaw States and the (now) Missouri States)??? Ha!  I've got that covered. Simple, divide the 134 schools so as to create a lower division and employ the promotion/relegation concept used in the English Premier League:  Six Premier Conferences and six Second Division Conferences.  The bottom dweller in each of the six Premier Conferences gets demoted whilst the Second Division Champions get promoted.

There!  I have single-handedly fixed college football (or not 🥺).

Fooling around aside, the key is getting FBS schools away from the rest of college sports.

This is basically the way I see it Mr LB. I'd even extend this out to the playoffs as well. The team that wins the FCS championship gets an auto bid to play in the place of the worst FBS team (Rating-wise at least. All hail Ken Pom). All other promotions and relegations could be on a committee basis much like the playoffs were. (Imagine the ratings on that show. Like the selection  show for MBB, but who stays and who gets kicked.) Bowl eligibility remains the same, but I would take the 12 conference championships as the "major Bowls" and each champion plays in the postseason. Heck, if you want to make it really interesting, make it a 14 team playoff, and the 2 best FCS teams get an auto bid to play with the big boys instead of just a free promotion.

I am vehemently opposed to the B10/SEC super league. The SEC commissioner is a clown to claim that auto bids for the NCAA basketball tournament need to be re-evaluated.Considering how well the SEC did in march madness, his point is moot. I would not be opposed to expanding the NCAA tournament, but if the super league is to become a reality, college athletics would be dead.

It's also not like this money is going to the NCAA either. The NCAA does not make any money from FBS operations. After the Oklahoma lawsuit, the NCAA makes most of its money from the TV deals for March Madness. It is also worth noting that the NCAA already has no direct involvement in college football as a result of the Oklahoma suit. All of the TV deals and revenue from CFB are directly controlled by the conferences or the college football committee. 

This post was modified 3 weeks ago 2 times by ReZyNeZy

Posted : 05/11/2024 6:12 PM
Page 48 / 49

Share: