Clear all

Baseball Valpo Baseball - 2024 season

33 Posts
7 Users
5 Reactions
(@valpotx)
Freshman
Topic starter

Much needed win against Evansville, that we will hopefully follow-up with another on Sunday!  I will be happy if we just make the MVC tournament, but we need to finish strong over the last 2 series, in order to do so. 

I've been enjoying the previews for each series, selfishly, not only to watch Kyle Schmack climb various top 10 lists, but also because it highlights some really strong players that I played with from 2000 to 2004, who are all over those top 10 lists.  I don't think that I've mentioned here before, but being in DFW, I never see my Valpo teammates, as I haven't been back to Valpo in 13-14 years.  I've continued to play adult baseball since graduating from Valpo, and was fortunate to be joined on my team/league by a Valpo baseball alum last season (who is all over our various top 10 career hitting charts), which has continued into the current season.  It is a lot of fun to relive Valpo baseball memories, and talking about how Schmack has climbed above my teammate in some categories, but still has a ways to go in a few others (Doubles, RBIs, and hits).  

Posted : 05/05/2024 2:08 AM
 vu72
(@vu72)
Freshman

It's time.  A difficult decision, as Paul Oren has pointed out regarding coach changes, it's hard.  Lives are uprooted, sometimes kids have to change schools, etc., but, finally, accountability has to come into place if a school wants something resembling respectability, or certainly something better than "mediocrity".

Coach Schmack has been Valpo's head coach for 11 seasons. We just concluded Valpo's 7th in the Valley. Four years ago, Coach Schmack started a bunch of freshman, absorbing the losses and finishing 8th of 8 in Valley play.  The idea was to take the punches so that as these kids matured we would be able to compete.

These "kids" just concluded their senior year.  The result? Tied for last with an overall record of 14-38 and 6-21 in Valley play.

I know, "it's a cold weather team". Tell it to Indiana State, Evansville or UIC.  All WAY better.  Tell it to Coach Woodson whose Valpo team went to the NCAAs and beat Florida.

No need to go on.  Baseball is now in the same category as Women's basketball and women's softball.  Is it time to not accept "mediocrity" (that's generous I know)?  I think so.

Posted : 05/21/2024 10:36 AM
Usc4valpo reacted
(@usc4valpo)
Freshman

Does the interim Valpo AD really want the job to be permanent or will she be a pawn? Not impressed right now but who knows what’s going on. 

Posted : 05/21/2024 10:42 AM
(@rezynezy)
Junior Varsity

@usc4valpo let's he honest. The interim AD is just Padillas talking head. At least that was the sense I got from the introduction meeting when she said that she had all the same ideas as Small. Good ideas, but not her own ideas. I hope she finds a way to put her own spin on things, and prove me wrong

With all that said I surmise that the current plan is to get the CONHP building up and running and then begin work on athletic enhancements. Athletics might be at a stall until the CONHP is sorted out. At least according to the uplift plan (which seems to have been followed to a tee) that is the case. Hopefully we get out fundraising plans for those at the end of the year or beginning of next. If not there is doubts as to if the plans to improve athletics will be dead in the water, but until then, I remain hopeful

This post was modified 4 weeks ago by ReZyNeZy

Posted : 05/21/2024 12:02 PM
(@usc4valpo)
Freshman

CONHP? What is that? 
That being said, Valpo athletics cannot continue to commit to keeping poor coaches not meeting expectations. It truly makes us look weak and incompetent. 

Posted : 05/21/2024 12:24 PM
(@rezynezy)
Junior Varsity

Posted by: @usc4valpo

CONHP? What is that? 
That being said, Valpo athletics cannot continue to commit to keeping poor coaches not meeting expectations. It truly makes us look weak and incompetent. 

College of Nursing and Health Professions. The New Nursing School. I would agree. Which is why using Bowlsbey services might become a more permanent fixture depending on how the search for the softball coach goes. Wouldn't be surprised if they try to poach Jim Crowell from Valpo High considering his son is about to go off to college.

Posted : 05/21/2024 2:17 PM
(@valpotx)
Freshman
Topic starter

Baseball is up against the same issues as Basketball in regards to facilities, but probably even more than Basketball.  The MVC Baseball facilities are immaculate, compared to what we have at Valpo.  UIC had Granderson step up several years back, and all other legacy MVC programs have true stadiums, similar to what we used to play in at ORU, back in my time.  

Posted : 05/21/2024 2:31 PM
 vu72
(@vu72)
Freshman

Posted by: @valpotx

Baseball is up against the same issues as Basketball in regards to facilities, but probably even more than Basketball.  The MVC Baseball facilities are immaculate, compared to what we have at Valpo.  UIC had Granderson step up several years back, and all other legacy MVC programs have true stadiums, similar to what we used to play in at ORU, back in my time.  

You may not have gone back since the new turf is in.  Very nice and looks great on TV.  I took a tour of the baseball facility with Jake a couple of years ago.  He said the hitting area etc was better than Illinois State.  I hate the seating which really does look high schoolisk.  The softball field with chairback in the center and bleachers on each side is far better looking.  

Not arguing that others have better and nicer facilities however.  Much nicer facilities and for the most part about 10 seats per actual fan in attendance.

Posted : 05/21/2024 3:13 PM
(@rezynezy)
Junior Varsity

@vu72 Clubhouse is great. The field is great, but Valpo high has a better grandstand set up. I know they planned for a second round of renovations to Baur to fix the grandstand and the parking lot, but that didn't happen. I thought they should have partnered with the school corp to build Bauer up to be a shared field between the HS and the College. Much like IUK does with Kokomo Municipal

Posted : 05/21/2024 9:01 PM
(@valpotx)
Freshman
Topic starter

Yes, I am speaking about grandstand comparisons, not as much turf differences. 

Posted : 05/22/2024 12:35 AM
ReZyNeZy reacted
(@azvalpo)
Freshman

15 players went through Senior Day basically the entire lineup plus some pitching doesn't bode well for next year. I haven't seen a list of recruits but I assume there is a bunch

Posted : 06/01/2024 11:41 AM
(@valpotx)
Freshman
Topic starter

Next year might be more difficult, but to 72's point, should it be a hot seat year?  Evansville won a game in their regional so far, and Indiana State got an at-large bid.  MVC is a top 10 baseball conference each year, and multiple bids in the majority of the seasons over the last 20 years.  We can do it if Evansville can do it.

This post was modified 2 weeks ago by valpotx

Posted : 06/01/2024 7:32 PM
(@usc4valpo)
Freshman

Looks like all coaches get a free pass this year with an overall 37% winning percentage. I am presuming interim AD is interim as no changes are being made. 

Posted : 06/02/2024 8:28 AM
(@rezynezy)
Junior Varsity

@usc4valpo Padilla said in an interview they will not start the search until Fall.

Posted : 06/02/2024 11:06 AM
(@usc4valpo)
Freshman

Focusing on priorities, that makes sense.no sarcasm here.

This post was modified 2 weeks ago by Usc4valpo

Posted : 06/02/2024 1:12 PM
Page 2 / 3

Share: