• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

2013 Football Schedule

Started by IndyValpo, April 02, 2013, 08:52:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

IndyValpo

http://www.championshipsubdivision.com/fcs-schedules/2013-fcs-football-schedules/pioneer-football-league-2013-schedules/

31-Aug   at North Dakota (Aug 29)
7-Sep   at St. Joseph's
14-Sep   William Jewel
21-Sep   Bye
28-Sep   Campbell
5-Oct   at Marist
12-Oct   at Mercer
19-Oct   Morehead State
26-Oct   at Drake
2-Nov   San Diego
9-Nov   at Butler
16-Nov   Dayton
23-Nov   Bye

We should have beaten St Joe (D2) last year, William Jewell (D2) was 2-9 last season and we have beaten Campbell twice in a row.  Could we start 3-1?

Butler is playing 12 games this season, are we headed that way?

covufan

Quote from: IndyValpo on April 02, 2013, 08:52:43 AMCould we start 3-1?
Yes, we could.  Carlson may need to open 3-1 to keep the wolves at bay.  After that, our home games will be tough, real tough.  Is Mercer the team that is bringing back football?  That might be a win as well.  To compete, this team will need to control the ball on offense, both time and turnovers, and the defense will need to stop giving up the 20+ yard plays and force turnovers.  Otherwise it will be 4-7 at best. 
Quote from: IndyValpo on April 02, 2013, 08:52:43 AMButler is playing 12 games this season, are we headed that way?
With only 5 home games this year, we may be moving to twelve games in the future. 

bbtds

That William Jewell game will be a tough one for Homer Drew, I'm sure.

I bet you didn't know that William Jewell College was partly founded by Robert S. James, a Baptist minister. Rev. James happen to have two sons who were infamous bank robbers and murderers who's careers basically ended in Northfield, MN after a botched bank job. Yes, Robert S. James was the father of Frank and Jesse James.

Liberty, MO is the location of WJC and it was across the street from the college that the James-Younger gang staged their first bank robbery. A William Jewell student was killed during that bank robbery, the first gruesome victim of the James-Younger gang.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: bbtds on April 02, 2013, 03:07:20 PMYes, Robert S. James was the father of Frank and Jesse James.
wow.  them're quite the family Jewells.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

VULB#62

Quote from: IndyValpo on April 02, 2013, 08:52:43 AM
http://www.championshipsubdivision.com/fcs-schedules/2013-fcs-football-schedules/pioneer-football-league-2013-schedules/

31-Aug   at North Dakota (Aug 29)
7-Sep   at St. Joseph's
14-Sep   William Jewel
21-Sep   Bye
28-Sep   Campbell
5-Oct           at Marist
12-Oct   at Mercer
19-Oct   Morehead State
26-Oct   at Drake
2-Nov   San Diego
9-Nov   at Butler
16-Nov   Dayton
23-Nov   Bye

We should have beaten St Joe (D2) last year, William Jewell (D2) was 2-9 last season and we have beaten Campbell twice in a row.  Could we start 3-1?

Butler is playing 12 games this season, are we headed that way?

Wagner was originally on the schedule for the next two seasons but cancelled.  Good for us though.  I figure we should go 6-7.  That includes 4 wins and 2 Byes.  Seriously, the bye before Campbell is very good placement -- having the extra week to prepare for Campbell, with its new coach and new systems could help us get that first PFL win.

bbtds

I sincerely hope we get to 6 wins but I would be extremely pleased to get to 3 or 4 wins. Think what an improvement that would be. Let's not count William Jewell as a win until we actually beat a team like St. Joe. Remember we haven't beat a team better than Campbell in 4 years.

LaPorteAveApostle

"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

setshot

A spokesperson for WSU had this comment relative to football and basketball at WSU."I think for schools within our conference,obviouslyfootball isn't a moneymaker for them"said Rege Klitzke Wichita State's senior associate athletic director for business operations. "If you compare ourselves to fellow conference schools,NOT HAVING FOOTBALL IS A BIG ADVANTAGE."  Hooray. As for Valpo I'll continue to say: DROP FOOTBALL! :twocents:

willy

Quote from: setshot on April 03, 2013, 09:02:09 AM
A spokesperson for WSU had this comment relative to football and basketball at WSU."I think for schools within our conference,obviouslyfootball isn't a moneymaker for them"said Rege Klitzke Wichita State's senior associate athletic director for business operations. "If you compare ourselves to fellow conference schools,NOT HAVING FOOTBALL IS A BIG ADVANTAGE."  Hooray. As for Valpo I'll continue to say: DROP FOOTBALL! :twocents:
At the FBS level which the Missouri Valley conference and Valpo are at I would Venture to say none of the sports are big moneymakers.  It shouldn't be about the school making money should it?  It should be about the overall experience the kids on campus have.  If money was the motivating factor for sports at this level they would have to drop all of them.  Give it up Setshot football is here to stay! 

bbtds

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on April 03, 2013, 07:19:35 AM

small steps, like a soldier rehabbing from injury, is the course for a damaged Valpo football team.

VUdad

Quote from: willy on April 03, 2013, 01:02:05 PM
Quote from: setshot on April 03, 2013, 09:02:09 AM
At the FBS level which the Missouri Valley conference and Valpo are at I would Venture to say none of the sports are big moneymakers.  It shouldn't be about the school making money should it?  It should be about the overall experience the kids on campus have.  If money was the motivating factor for sports at this level they would have to drop all of them.  Give it up Setshot football is here to stay! 
Valpo isn't losing money on their football program; 100+ players who could and would play somewhere else pay to attend VU. Even after academic scholarships, the University nets a decent sum from that one revenue stream alone. Improving the profitability is a different challenge...

historyman

Quote from: setshot on April 03, 2013, 09:02:09 AMsenior associate athletic director for business operations.

The fact that Wichita State has a "senior associate athletic director for business operations" does say a lot about their committment to enhancing their institution through athletics. That is not a committment Valpo has made which has been pointed out to the nth degree, so feverishly lately.

I also agree that football is not going away. Maybe it should be enhanced to FBS or maybe dropped to Div. III. That is for the president and the board to decide through funding.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

VULB#62

Can't drop to D-III.  As a D-I school for sports VU must play D-I football (FCS or FBS).  So it's PFL, scholarship FCS, FBS (yeah, right!) or nothing.

historyman

Quote from: VULB#62 on April 03, 2013, 05:41:23 PMCan't drop to D-III.  As a D-I school for sports VU must play D-I football (FCS or FBS).  So it's PFL, scholarship FCS, FBS (yeah, right!) or nothing.

Not just football, all sports to Div. III. I do agree that if Valpo won't find funding for Div I then move everything to Div. III. I, first, want to see if Valpo will find the funding for Div. I. I've not given up on that.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: historyman on April 03, 2013, 05:01:26 PMThe fact that Wichita State has a "senior associate athletic director for business operations" does say a lot about their committment to enhancing their institution through athletics.
...or it just says that their athletic budget is 50% higher than ours.

(and 260% higher for basketball...)

covufan

Quote from: VULB#62 on April 03, 2013, 05:41:23 PM
Can't drop to D-III.  As a D-I school for sports VU must play D-I football (FCS or FBS).  So it's PFL, scholarship FCS, FBS (yeah, right!) or nothing.
I would like to see a feasibility plan to go FCS scholarship - stadium needs, scholarship costs, etc.  Why can't we compete with Wofford, Villanova, Old Dominion, Stony Brook, Richmond, etc?

covufan

Quote from: covufan on April 03, 2013, 06:25:05 PM
Quote from: VULB#62 on April 03, 2013, 05:41:23 PM
I would like to see a feasibility plan to go FCS scholarship - stadium needs, scholarship costs, etc.  Why can't we compete with Wofford, Villanova, Old Dominion, Stony Brook, Richmond, etc?
Of course I'm assuming that we become competitive in the PFL, and play competitively with FCS scholarship teams when we play them.  Then, and only then, would we consider moving to FCS scholarship.  I'm not saying we should get a plan together right now to move to FCS scholarship.  I think this would be in line with increasing the student population as well.  Just a thought.

historyman

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on April 03, 2013, 06:22:37 PM
Quote from: historyman on April 03, 2013, 05:01:26 PMThe fact that Wichita State has a "senior associate athletic director for business operations" does say a lot about their committment to enhancing their institution through athletics.
...or it just says that their athletic budget is 50% higher than ours. (and 260% higher for basketball...)

Isn't Wichita State's budget being 50% higher for athletics a show of committment to enhancing their institution through athletics.? Do you think people in that part of Kansas like athletics more than Valpo people so that their board voted a 50% higher budget? There are plenty of public schools with lower athletic budgets than Valpo's.

VULB#62

Quote from: historyman on April 03, 2013, 07:03:31 PM
Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on April 03, 2013, 06:22:37 PM
...or it just says that their athletic budget is 50% higher than ours. (and 260% higher for basketball...)

Isn't Wichita State's budget being 50% higher for athletics a show of committment to enhancing their institution through athletics.? Do you think people in that part of Kansas like athletics more than Valpo people so that their board voted a 50% higher budget? There are plenty of public schools with lower athletic budgets than Valpo's.

If we were Valpo State I could see a 50% higher athletic budget and 260% over present funding for BB.  The reason:   we'd have a failsafe fallback plan in the event we start losing a bit of money.  The fallback plan is called the taxpayers.  Can't see any fallback plan for private little old Valpo.  It's gotta break even or bust  OR........ go D-III and fund all sports through much higher tuition and fees and be done with it.  Of course that means disappearing from the ESPN crawler for FB, M&WBB and NCAA reports at tournament time for M&WSO, Baseball and Softball. 

I like the MVC/PFL combo.  I hope we can become the Drake of the Great Lakes Region.   ;)

We just gotta burst this losing bubble we're in.  It's no accident that the FB staff can get kids to come here.  It's a great school -- imagine if we had a competitive season.  The gets would be even better.  Sure is easier to recruit to a winning team.  That's the snowball that keeps getting bigger.  Drake knows that feeling; we need to get there.  And BTW if we get the invite to the MVC, that's a heckuva better sell nationally to kids (i.e., FB players) wanting a higher profile campus experience than the HL (IMO)

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: historyman on April 03, 2013, 07:03:31 PMIsn't Wichita State's budget being 50% higher for athletics a show of committment to enhancing their institution through athletics.?
...or just a sign of their lack of commitment--since they only spend 50% more and they are more than 100% our size?

VULB#62

But they have fewer sports (13 to our 19) and no football.

usc4valpo

Guys, please football will not influence Valpo's decision to join the MVC.  Illinois St., Indiana St., and UNI play in the Gateway Conference.  I truly doubt Valpo's decision to join the MVC will be based on their football program, as it is join a feature in their portfolio for students to enroll.

VULB#62

Quote from: usc4valpo on April 04, 2013, 09:07:11 AM
Guys, please football will not influence Valpo's decision to join the MVC.  Illinois St., Indiana St., and UNI play in the Gateway Conference.  I truly doubt Valpo's decision to join the MVC will be based on their football program, as it is join a feature in their portfolio for students to enroll.

Not Gateway anymore -- Missouri Valley Football Conference since 2008 with a few new schools and some defections.

historyman

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on April 03, 2013, 08:03:49 PM
Quote from: historyman on April 03, 2013, 07:03:31 PMIsn't Wichita State's budget being 50% higher for athletics a show of committment to enhancing their institution through athletics.?
...or just a sign of their lack of commitment--since they only spend 50% more and they are more than 100% our size?

Yes, but who has the greater wallet. The average Kansan or the parent and supporter of Valpo? 6 less sports or around 2/3. 14,000 students at Wichita State. 14,000/4,000. 2/3 of 14,000=about 10,000. 10,000/4,000. It's very close to half. With the difference in average Kansan to Valpo parent & supporter I would say it's even to maybe less for Wichita State.

LaPorteAveApostle

I'm really good at mathematical reasoning and I have no idea what you just did.

I think that's why you have to show your work ;)