• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Tailgating at VU Football games

Started by usc4valpo, November 11, 2015, 05:15:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

usc4valpo

So I read feedback about Butler's great tailgating, and thought a topic for this was required. When I was at the game at Drake, I saw some decent tailgating. The Valpo administration needs to start promoting this to enhance the football and college experience. VU is too paranoid about their alcohol policy and the enforcement at football games is overdone.

Vinny

Great post usc.

I wasn't in Indianapolis last week, however, I was at the Butler Bowl for Dale's Last Stand in 2013. It sounds like the atmosphere was similar to what I experienced then - grilling, drinking ( :o), cornhole playing, a good time had by all. Very well-attended I might add. The attendance listed for last week's game was impressive! Over 5,000!

I've made it out to only one home game this year (Stetson) and I couldn't have more disappointed/embarrassed by the gameday atmosphere. I could overlook bad football if the majority of the day is fun and lively: catching up with old buddies, having a few cold ones, etc. Even the band is atrocious. There just aren't a whole lot of positives about attending a football game at Brown Field. Tailgating would be a huge first leap. Time for VU to get with the times.

VULB#62

As I recall SC you started a similar thread last year  ;D

http://www.valpofanzone.com/forum/index.php?topic=1917.msg46976#msg46976

Vinny, we used to have a very good band and they even marched.  Seems that the athletic department underwrote much of the expense of said group then in an internal  coup the music department took over the instruments and disbanded the band,  Now we have "pep Band" who try hard, but without strong university support they can't get it done.

Agree that the university's stance has a very chilling effect on the positives to be derived though informal activities like tailgating.  The BU fans I talked to acknowledged that their team was down this year, yet they loved coming for the atmosphere alone not to mention the game.