• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Game #13 Belmont Round 2

Started by VUSWIM08-12, December 26, 2015, 12:26:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VUSWIM08-12

Hopefully we can carry over the defensive performance from Mo St. Belmont has lost their last two games, by 2 to Cleveland St, and by 21 to Middle Tenn. The Bruins will be hungry, but I know Bryce will have them ready. Come out with some effort and avoid the Holiday Hangover. Go Po'!

HC

Valpo seems to be figuring things out. I will go with an 11 point road win 72-61

agibson

Anybody still thinking about heading out to Nashville, advance-purchase tickets are just $1.  Apparently full price at the gate.

oklahomamick

I will be attending the game in Nashville.  Where do I find the $1 tickets?
CRUSADERS!!!

VULB#62

What's our health status as of today?

drewsaders11

Is there going to be a live stream for the game?   I don't see a "video" link on the website...

agibson

Quote from: drewsaders11 on December 26, 2015, 08:56:59 PM
Is there going to be a live stream for the game?   I don't see a "video" link on the website...

They always post them late to the VU page. The Belmont page has one up already
http://www.ovcdigitalnetwork.com/watch/?Live=3055
looks like there will be live video and maybe also an archive.  Maybe for free, but I've not looked at all carefully.

agibson

Quote from: VULB#62 on December 26, 2015, 07:38:34 PM
What's our health status as of today?

Last I heard it's just Nickerson out. Maybe for only a week (so in principle could be back for Belmont), but everyone seems to assume for longer.  But that's old news.

I assume we'll get some updates Sunday and Monday.

I was by the ARC a couple of times this week, and saw some players, but internationals - I figure many domestic players had a chance to get home.  So, I don't draw any conclusions there. 

agibson

Quote from: oklahomamick on December 26, 2015, 06:58:24 PM
I will be attending the game in Nashville.  Where do I find the $1 tickets?

Via the Belmont pages
http://www.belmontbruins.com/links/5z9gao

A couple of singles in section 114, down by STL behind the VU bench.  Looks like it's filled up up by me, but still some seats in the corners (e.g. 106).

I assume that the whole upper deck is probably general admission, but if you walk up you might pay $10-$15 for general admission.  So, probably better to get the $1 lower-level reserved seats anyway, and then I figure you could probably sit where you'd like in the upper deck.

Seats 5,000 supposedly, so I'm guessing there's a 200 level.

agibson

Quote from: agibson on December 26, 2015, 10:22:50 PM
Last I heard it's just Nickerson out. Maybe for only a week (so in principle could be back for Belmont), but everyone seems to assume for longer.  But that's old news.

I assume we'll get some updates Sunday and Monday.

[tweet]681192092580864000[/tweet]
[tweet]681192372055703552[/tweet]

sliman

I will consider a win at Belmont to be an upset, just based on the home court advantage between two teams that appeared pretty even here despite some personnel shortages.  The key will be how well we  bounce back to start the conference.  Losing two of the next three is a probability.

I was way off the mark against Mo. State so hope I am again.  Still, we seem to be giving our defense all the credit for Mo. State's poor shooting when I thought they missed some wide open shots that they probably don't miss every night, home or away.

But I'll admit to being a nervous nelly for most games.

agibson

Quote from: sliman on December 27, 2015, 02:04:54 PM
I was way off the mark against Mo.State so hope I am again.  Still, we seem to be giving our defense all the credit for Mo. State's poor shooting when I thought they missed some wide open shots that they probably don't miss every night, home or away.

Always a little hard for me to tell poor shooting from good defense.  But, unless I'm mixing up home games (Iona?), Mo state (had to?) settled for some ridiculously deep, ridiculously bad three point looks.  It felt like pretty suffocating defense.

wh

From game-1 to game-2 EVN out - Tevonn in. EVN scored 9 points in game-1, but was only 4-15 from the field. It's almost a guarantee that Tevonn will be more efficient than that. They both play monster defense, so that's a wash. I like our chances.

oklahomamick

Is there a Belmont fan forum?  I can't find it anywhere and would be interested to see what the fans are saying.
CRUSADERS!!!

wh

Valpower

Quote from: agibson on December 27, 2015, 04:58:28 PM
Quote from: sliman on December 27, 2015, 02:04:54 PM
I was way off the mark against Mo.State so hope I am again.  Still, we seem to be giving our defense all the credit for Mo. State's poor shooting when I thought they missed some wide open shots that they probably don't miss every night, home or away.

Always a little hard for me to tell poor shooting from good defense.  But, unless I'm mixing up home games (Iona?), Mo state (had to?) settled for some ridiculously deep, ridiculously bad three point looks.  It felt like pretty suffocating defense.

The "wide-open looks" that don't go in are often a product of tough defense in that the opponent has been forced out of their usual offensive flow or made to realize how rare the opportunity to score will be (and thus, made to choke). If you hold your opponent to uncharacteristically low scoring I say you always attribute it to good defense.

VULB#62

Agree. Tough defense disrupts overall team offensive rhythm. A deep 3 taken when within their normal rhythm has a good chance of going in. But  that same uncontested shot taken out of rhythm because of the altered pace of the game has less of a chance (unless you are Steph Curry).  Good team defense across all 5 players breaks down an opponent's comfort zone. So the that uncontested release is a hundredth of a second off from a normal release; that translates to an inch off as it reaches the basket; the result is 'clang' off the back of the rim instead of swish. 

PS to the above post:  a team can be  having a really bad shooting day, but if they brought a tough defensive mindset to the game, they will still be in it at crunch time. Not always so for teams who "just play defense because they have to."

Have to echo posters' admiration of the way this bunch shuts 'em down.

rink

Love that the schedule makers are so accommodating to my NSH travel plans. DW's parents live down here. Last year was our turn to be here for Thanksgiving when Valpo played in that tournament at Municipal Auditorium, and this year was our turn to be down here for Christmas and they're playing here again. It's turning into quite the tradition.

usc4valpo

This will be a competitive game and Valpo should pull it out.

agibson

A pothole got in the way of our travel plans, alas.  If anyone can use our seats in section 114, row p, 13-18, feel free.  Or PM me if you want the tickets (I think you'd need to print them).  Can probably still get them for $1 online.  I'll be curious to see if the bottom bowl fills up!

talksalot

CBS, and most of the other odds' makers in Vegas, has Valpo By 4 with the O/U at 143.5   

This is only Belmont's 3rd D1 home game, they scored 90 against Western Kentucky and 105 against Lipscomb....

Their last two games (on the road) they've only scored 62 and 65 (Middle Tennessee and Cleveland State) both losses.

Let's go Defense!!

FWalum

Not sure what is happening but the full screen option on the OVC digital network looks like really bad claymation.  The small screen is ok but full screen is unwatchable on my TV.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

agibson

Quote from: FWalum on December 28, 2015, 07:37:30 PM
Not sure what is happening but the full screen option on the OVC digital network looks like really bad claymation.  The small screen is ok but full screen is unwatchable on my TV.

OK for me full screen on a laptop.  Getting spoiled by my visiting mother's 17".

Pretty solid feed - not super high res.  Kind of low fidelity audio? Not quite as bad as an AM feed.

Overall, highly acceptable broadcast.

Apart from the first four minutes, not looking bad for Valpo.

Alec and Tevonn will get theirs in the second half.

Good to see Skara as well as Shane comfortable slashing.  And Darien, while passing one, willing to take the open three.

agibson

Interesting that Tevonn doesn't handle.  I do enjoy watching the occasional big lineup.  Here Hammink handling, Peters, Skara, Tevonn, Vashil.

a3uge

* Aside from the first few minutes, defense is playing great. Most their points have come on long threes.
* Offense kind of brutal at times. Valpo seems to be getting a fair amount of layups, but is still settling for long jump shots.
* Peters really quiet. Missed an open three and a free throw. He needs more shots.
* Darien has to knock down open threes. His shooting isn't even close.
* Great job responding to a 10-0 run with a 12-0 run. I was thinking it'd be a battle to get the lead to a possession by half.