• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Transfers

Started by M, March 08, 2019, 02:22:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

How many players on our current roster will transfer?

None
3 (4.9%)
One
11 (18%)
Two
17 (27.9%)
Three
11 (18%)
More then (than) three
19 (31.1%)

Total Members Voted: 61

EddieCabot

I know it puts me in the minority on the board, but I'm disappointed to see Derrik go and think his post scoring will be difficult to replace.  I wish him the best at his next stop, wherever that might be.

crusader05

I do think that the reality is that with 2 7 footers who had alternative strengths one of them leaving for the last year was inevitable if only so they can go somewhere where they could be the definitive starter and get even more solid minutes and time on the court.

VU2014

He is going to be a hot commodity on the transfer market.

This is some very unfortunate news.

https://twitter.com/michaelosipoff/status/1107690198861783042?s=21

justducky

I would assume that zone leaning coaches might show the greatest interest.

The only way I would really get angry is if he suddenly develops into a great defender.  :o

humbleopinion

The fact that Derrik led the team in scoring says more about the rest of the team's ability to score than it does about him.  He had become more of a threat on the offensive end, but he had not proven himself as a total player.

Already two years ago it was apparent that whichever seven footer expected to see less time as a senior would be expected to transfer.  As it turned out, neither was dominant, and, evidently, Derrik figured that playing time would be shared again.

It would be great if we could get a legitimate backup at center.  Mileek had moments when he looked competent this year, but those were moments when he was playing the four.  As a center, he struggled.  Perhaps this frees Matt up to implement a different looking offense.
Beamin' Beacons

a3uge

Oh please find a good shooting small ball center that doesn't foul every 40 seconds...

VUBBFan

We still have the one outstanding offer to 6'10" David Skogman. He has a ton of offers but has not committed yet. Hope we double down on our recruitment of him.

4throwfan

Wish him the best of luck.

Some of his scoring will be missed.  Inconsistency in scoring and other lapses won't be missed.

So long as departures doesn't turn epidemic, this could have a silver lining for 2020-2021.  Since there was a scheduled massive turnover after next year, this could allow for another recruit or JUCO transfer that could give some consistency after next year's departures.  If VU gets a one-and-done grad-transfer replacement, then this benefit is lost.  I don't see the coaches doing that.

VULB#62

Quote from: VUBBFan on March 18, 2019, 01:26:21 PM
We still have the one outstanding offer to 6'10" David Skogman. He has a ton of offers but has not committed yet. Hope we double down on our recruitment of him.

This could open up things for him.  He now would be competing with a senior and couyld beat him  out and be a 4 year starter.

valpo64

With Derrick's transfer, I am feeling better about getting a good young big man for next year, hopefully from the current graduating class and not a graduate transfer  I believe the "silver lining" comment is right on the money. Hopefully this will add to some continuity to the offense next year.

bbtds

I think it shows that the 1 year sitting after transferring rule should not be changed because if you don't have to sit out a year a player is much, much more likely to transfer and suddenly the NCAA would probably have 25% more transfers than they already do now.

NativeCheesehead

I would rather you can transfer only once without penalty. You get one lateral or upward to DI transfer without having to sit. After that you can transfer but lose a year of eligibility. I think that keeps some power with the student athlete without hanging the schools out to dry completely.

vuny98

Not surprised by the transfer. He seemed to be positioning himself to be available to transfer at the end of this season, and with the split playing time and his clear desires to move to the next level after college, it was bound to happen. He made some big strides this year. Hopefully for him, he can transfer to a program that can do a better job of developing bigs. My uneducated guess is that he will want to move up to a larger program. May not be the best move for him but can't fault him for that desire, especially if he has pro aspirations.

I'd guess we will still see 1-2 more transfers, and despite that I would not take that as an indication of the programs direction but rather just a sign of the times in college basketball. Hopefully the rest of the core team sticks together though.

VUGrad1314

Lol@ Smits declaring for the draft. Can't shoot threes Can't rebound Can't defend What a joke. He'll play in Europe maybe even at an upper division but the NBA?Pffft He's wasting his time and that of anyone who takes time to evaluate him.

oklahomamick

1.  I wonder what smits's reasonings for transferring was.  Is it coaching?  Playing time?  Want something different?

We can only speculate which is not good.

2.  I'm not happy or upset that he is transferring.  However if he goes somewhere and doesn't get playing time, then I will be pissed because we have a lot coming back are "supposed" to be be good.

3.  If others transfer I think that answers my 1st question. 

4.  Most importantly.  If 4-5 transfer then does Lottich even get a 4th year opportunity? 
CRUSADERS!!!

4throwfan

I'd like to know No. 1 as well.

Seems that if the program were humming on all cylinders, then he wouldn't transfer.  The last time that VU had a lot of seniors coming in (Broekhoff, Buggs, Bogan, Boggs, Kenney, etc.) there wasn't even a hint of transfers.  I think that group felt that they were NCAA bound going into their final year, which turned out to be a pretty good prediction.  If Smits is transferring, then I don't think he has that same prediction.  A mid-major team with a lot of seniors can't afford to lose their leading scorer.  That's not an indication of humming on all cylinders.

NativeCheesehead

So Paul's article says Derrik wants to "hopefully play better competition."

My first reaction was "Like the fire. Can't blame him."

But then thinking a bit, Derrik was overall a B-/C+ player in the MVC, constantly getting bullied on the defensive end by guys 4-6 inches shorter than him. Does he think playing at a higher level will be better. If someone like Illinois gives him a shot does he really think playing one end of the floor will fly at a P5 school?

At the end of the day it's his career and he should do what he feels is best for him. And in his shoes I would likely do the same. If he wants to play in the pros he needs to go somewhere where he's not in a timeshare. But he's be better off going to somewhere like Northern Kentucky where there's a big hole with McDonald graduating.

IndyValpo

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on March 18, 2019, 04:20:29 PM
Lol@ Smits declaring for the draft. Can't shoot threes Can't rebound Can't defend What a joke. He'll play in Europe maybe even at an upper division but the NBA?Pffft He's wasting his time and that of anyone who takes time to evaluate him.
What he is actually doing is taking advantage of the current system. Anything he picks up along the way can't hurt. Then he returns to college. I agree he will not play in the NBA.

He could be a good get for Europe especially if he doesn't count as a US player. Not exactly sure how that works .

VU2014

Quote from: VUBBFan on March 18, 2019, 01:26:21 PM

I wouldn't get your hopes up.

VUGrad1314

So is this just Smits or is this the beginning of a mass Exodus. Is anyone else grad transfer eligible?

a3uge

Quote from: NativeCheesehead on March 18, 2019, 05:00:18 PM
So Paul's article says Derrik wants to "hopefully play better competition."

Wow, it's not like he made 1st or 2nd team all-MVC. Good luck.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: M on March 18, 2019, 12:11:38 PM
I don't think we are going to notice him not being there next year.  I don't see him leaving as any knock against the coaches or the program at VU. Lets fill his spot with a shooter or a decently athletic big who likes rebounding/defending.

This is also my belief.

VU2014

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on March 18, 2019, 05:26:04 PM
So is this just Smits or is this the beginning of a mass Exodus. Is anyone else grad transfer eligible?

Grad-Transfer Elgible:
-Micah Bradford
-Bakari Evelyn
-Markus Golder

Not sure if Jay Sorolla is elgible or not. I doubt with a engineering course load that Kiser is and I doubt he'd transfer anyways. Not sure about Ryan Fazekas' status but I don't think he's a likely transfer either.

I feel confident Golder will stay. Not sure about Bakari. Micah Bradford is a mystery but he's maybe the most speculated about potential transfer in VU recent history. I feel good about Jay staying, but I know nothing.

GoldenCrusader87

Wish him well. As I've said before, I don't blame kids for transferring. They only get one shot at this whole college thing. Paul seems pretty convinced Micah will transfer. I hope he does transfer, honestly. But, idk that he'd get a lot of looks if his medical health is up in the air with his back. Then again, I'm sure he could show xrays that could show he's fully recovered if that's the case.

I don't feel comfortable having Sarolla be our main center. Then again, maybe we will shift our playing style and he'll be a non-factor. 2 7-footers hasn't been an advantage thus far anyhow.

may know

"Wow, it's not like he made 1st or 2nd team all-MVC."

Or 1st team all-Valpo, once the season was on the line.