• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Loyola and Drake NCAA Tourney

Started by valpo84, March 18, 2021, 07:57:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vu72

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on March 21, 2021, 04:44:46 PM
Quote from: vu72 on March 21, 2021, 03:54:24 PM
Quote from: NativeCheesehead on March 21, 2021, 03:17:31 PMThe last president said a lot too, yet the ARC is still a dump. Words are wind.
He's been on the job for three weeks.

He's referring to Heckler.

Really?  The word "too".  implies that, yes, Heckler said a lot but further that the words of this President are just as empty as in "wind".  To say (imply) that during Mark Heckler's Presidency nothing happened is just silly.  Athletically, not to mention all the academic and housing improvements, are both wrong. The new playing surface at Brown, the track, the completion of the basketball practice facility, a half million dollar broadcast room,  let alone the move to the Valley to name a few.  The University is about a lot more than cushy seats at the ARC.  A reality check may be in order.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

usc4valpo

Ok, can we agree that we need more than a HS gym. We also
Need to get with the times and serve beer at games like other teams.

valpotx

Krutwig will get NBA looks, and at a minimum, end up in a top league in Europe.  His style of play is perfect for teams in Spain and Italy.
"Don't mess with Texas"

justducky

Quote from: usc4valpo on March 21, 2021, 07:16:57 PM
Ok, can we agree that we need more than a HS gym. We also
Need to get with the times and serve beer at games like other teams.

I just want to get back in the ARC. I'll worry about the beer when I get there!

nkvu

Having watched Loyola for a couple of games in the dance now compared to what I saw in Valpo last season. Loyola ran a number of sets that they obviously had run many, many times before to the point that everybody knew what was supposed to happen and what the options were. Contrast that to Valpo's offense that often looked to me like a bunch of guys dribbling who passed to other guys who dribble until the shot clock ran down until the last guy with the ball jacked up a shot. Now I don't know if Matt can't teach the "motion offense" or the guys we can recruit can't understand and run the motion offense, but I think Loyola has identified a way where MVC teams can beat P-5 talented teams.  If Matt can't either figure out how to make his offense work, or recruit and retain the kind of players who can make it work, then he should either abandon it or leave. I would give him two years. It seems to me that if a coach can't recruit the kind of players who can make his preferred offense work, then he should design an offense that fits the kind of players he can recruit.  I think Loyola has done that.  I don't think we have come close to doing that.

valpotx

You need a Krutwig to run Loyola's offense.  Without an amazing big man passer, you have to do something else.
"Don't mess with Texas"

nkvu

Quote from: valpotx on March 22, 2021, 12:16:23 AM
You need a Krutwig to run Loyola's offense.  Without an amazing big man passer, you have to do something else.

I know Krikke doesn't have the Pillsbury Doughboy body that Krutwig has, but don't you think he is smart enough to fill that role?  Not to take anything from Krutwig who has more feel for the game than any big man I've seen in a long time.

valpotx

I do not.  It takes a special type of composure and presence, to do what he does.  How many Vlade Divac's have come by, since his time?  It is the same type of big man distribution, that is hard for any big boy to replicate. 
"Don't mess with Texas"

IrishDawg

Quote from: valpotx on March 22, 2021, 12:56:39 AM
I do not.  It takes a special type of composure and presence, to do what he does.  How many Vlade Divac's have come by, since his time?  It is the same type of big man distribution, that is hard for any big boy to replicate.

Agreed - Krutwig is a once in a lifetime type of player.  I'm more interested to see what happens to Loyola as a program after he leaves, because when he's surrounded by the right pieces, you get a special team (they're a top 10ish team in the metrics no matter how you slice them).  But they've also been around 100 the previous 2 seasons even with a player like him, and that was about as good as they were under Porter Moser without him.  I do think they can be solid, but like Butler when we had Matt Howard, Loyola can (and really based on who's left, maybe should) make another F4.  The first one was fluky, much like the 2nd one for Butler.  But this Loyola team is just as good as Butler's first F4 team, and other maybe than a beat up Houston team, they absolutely will be favored against Oregon State and would be against Syracuse.  But Butler hasn't been near that level since (and that's okay), and I wouldn't expect Loyola to stay at this level once Krutwig is gone.

vuny98

Quote from: IrishDawg on March 22, 2021, 07:01:18 AMbecause when he's surrounded by the right pieces, you get a special team (they're a top 10ish team in the metrics no matter how you slice them).  But they've also been around 100 the previous 2 seasons even with a player like him, and that was about as good as they were under Porter Moser without him.  I do think they can be solid, but like Butler when we had Matt
What are the chances that Loyola takes these two years of success and does what Butler did and move up in conference? If one of the A10 teams gets poached, I'm sure they would love an in to the Chicago market. I'm sure DePaul would not be happy if they were in the Big East, but it could create a nice little Midwest block for that conference with Butler, Creighton, DePaul, Marquette and Loyola.

valpo95

Loyola is a very good team, and like many others I'm rooting for them to keep winning. Loyola and Drake have been excellent representatives for the MVC. 

In retrospect, all of this also makes VU's season look better. Loyola's last two losses were to Drake and ISUb, teams that went 2-2 against Valpo. As has been said before, VU's second loss to Loyola (on the road no less) was 54-52 with an obvious chance for overtime.

vu84v2

Quote from: vuny98 on March 22, 2021, 09:01:39 AM
Quote from: IrishDawg on March 22, 2021, 07:01:18 AMbecause when he's surrounded by the right pieces, you get a special team (they're a top 10ish team in the metrics no matter how you slice them).  But they've also been around 100 the previous 2 seasons even with a player like him, and that was about as good as they were under Porter Moser without him.  I do think they can be solid, but like Butler when we had Matt
What are the chances that Loyola takes these two years of success and does what Butler did and move up in conference? If one of the A10 teams gets poached, I'm sure they would love an in to the Chicago market. I'm sure DePaul would not be happy if they were in the Big East, but it could create a nice little Midwest block for that conference with Butler, Creighton, DePaul, Marquette and Loyola.

The Big East emphasizes that its members play many or all of their basketball games in big (NBA style) arenas. Butler is sort of an exception, but they are in the middle of a city and play in a good-sized historic arena. Additionally, I think that Marquette and (especially) DePaul would veto having another conference member so close.

The A10, however, is a different story. I think that they would love to have a presence in Chicago. The thing that likely prevents a team like Loyola from moving to the A10 is that there are way too many teams in that conference now.

usc4valpo

Loyola better be ready for Oregon St. as these guys are playing out of their minds.

JD24

Quote from: IrishDawg on March 22, 2021, 07:01:18 AM
Quote from: valpotx on March 22, 2021, 12:56:39 AMI do not.  It takes a special type of composure and presence, to do what he does.  How many Vlade Divac's have come by, since his time?  It is the same type of big man distribution, that is hard for any big boy to replicate.
Agreed - Krutwig is a once in a lifetime type of player.  I'm more interested to see what happens to Loyola as a program after he leaves, because when he's surrounded by the right pieces, you get a special team (they're a top 10ish team in the metrics no matter how you slice them).  But they've also been around 100 the previous 2 seasons even with a player like him, and that was about as good as they were under Porter Moser without him.  I do think they can be solid, but like Butler when we had Matt Howard, Loyola can (and really based on who's left, maybe should) make another F4.  The first one was fluky, much like the 2nd one for Butler.  But this Loyola team is just as good as Butler's first F4 team, and other maybe than a beat up Houston team, they absolutely will be favored against Oregon State and would be against Syracuse.  But Butler hasn't been near that level since (and that's okay), and I wouldn't expect Loyola to stay at this level once Krutwig is gone.
I think the effectiveness of Krutwig is under sold by some. Not only is he a fantastic distributor from the post(s), he is incredibly and awkwardly effective. He does some things so unconventionally that he is tough to defend. He plays defense in the same fashion. He jumps out low on the ball when other centers defend up "high" as a for example. This is all in addition to his natural ability to pass to cutters all over the place.

The suggestion that anyone, such as Krikke, could perform the same role for Valpo isn't going to work. A lot of these traits are innate and can't be taught.

It will certainly be interesting seeing where Loyola goes after this season. Krutwig will be gone and Moser's real success mirrors Krutwig's career. Moser could also leave himself.

While I'm not stumping at all for Lottich to stay at all....the portal issue certainly is one but I don't know if its just a bunch of kids acting in concert because "if he's in the portal, so am I" or there is a legit issue there....keep in mind that Loyola after 6 years at Loyola wasn't much better than where Valpo's been under Lottich.

usc4valpo

The best thing about Loyola's success is that it hopefully applies pressure on Lottich and Valpo to succeed rather than being committed to mediocrity.

JD24

Quote from: usc4valpo on March 22, 2021, 11:39:57 AMThe best thing about Loyola's success is that it hopefully applies pressure on Lottich and Valpo to succeed rather than being committed to mediocrity.
Moser's history with Loyola could cause Valpo to stand pat. Be careful what you wish for.

usc4valpo

Moser has improved as a coach in the past 10-15 years. If he can increase recruiting and keep the Chicagoland talent, then hopefully Valpo can step it up.

JD24

Much talk this morning of Moser moving to Indiana or Marquette. We'll see.

valpo95

Quote from: JD24 on March 22, 2021, 11:45:25 AM
Quote from: usc4valpo on March 22, 2021, 11:39:57 AMThe best thing about Loyola's success is that it hopefully applies pressure on Lottich and Valpo to succeed rather than being committed to mediocrity.
Moser's history with Loyola could cause Valpo to stand pat. Be careful what you wish for.

According to Wikipedia, Porter Moser went 22-50 in conference play at ISUr. He is 89-89 in conference at Loyola, and had below 0.500 records in his first six years at Loyola. Lottich's Wikipedia page hasn't been updated to this year - by my quick update Lottich's conference record is 43-47.

valpotx

I don't see Loyola wanting to move to the A-10.  Too spread out, and too large, at the moment. 
"Don't mess with Texas"

VUGrad1314

Quote from: valpo95 on March 22, 2021, 12:48:08 PM
Quote from: JD24 on March 22, 2021, 11:45:25 AM
According to Wikipedia, Porter Moser went 22-50 in conference play at ISUr. He is 89-89 in conference at Loyola, and had below 0.500 records in his first six years at Loyola. Lottich's Wikipedia page hasn't been updated to this year - by my quick update Lottich's conference record is 43-47.

Take the HL year out. We're not there anymore and it was with Bryce's players. Alec Peters was the coach of that team not Matt Lottich and we saw that was true when Peters went out at the end of the year.

I hope you're right about Loyola not wanting to move to the A-10 but doing that and allowing teams in the A-10 to play teams like Fordham much less frequently would be just what the doctor ordered to turn the A-10 back into a consistent 3-4 bid league again. Loyola has the chops for that league. I hope they stay but we are right to be nervous especially since their departure might influence the quality and caliber of replacements we could convince to join. But first and foremost WE need to get better and start proving we're an MVC level program because regardless of the on court results we can't keep our players. In the MVC you win with player retention and the fact that we can't retain players proves we're not at the MVC level yet.

usc4valpo

Perhaps Moser has improved over time. The dude has 2 sweet 16s and a final four on his resume and is the hottest coach out there. correct me if I am wrong, but Even Scott Drew has not been in a Final Four.

JD24

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on March 22, 2021, 08:35:33 PMTake the HL year out. We're not there anymore and it was with Bryce's players. Alec Peters was the coach of that team not Matt Lottich and we saw that was true when Peters went out at the end of the year
Dude. Try a sedative.

VUGrad1314

Quote from: JD24 on March 22, 2021, 09:21:24 PM
Quote from: VUGrad1314 on March 22, 2021, 08:35:33 PMTake the HL year out. We're not there anymore and it was with Bryce's players. Alec Peters was the coach of that team not Matt Lottich and we saw that was true when Peters went out at the end of the year
Dude. Try a sedative.

The HL year is irrelevant because Matt is clearly not up to snuff when it comes to coaching where we are now in the MVC. Moreover the fact that he had by far and away his best (and only not mediocre or bad) year with Bryce's players is pretty telling to me. That's why I say the HL year isn't relevant.How about instead of attacking me personally you address the points of my post. Do you honestly believe Matt Lottich has built on Bryce's success and has made us a better program? Are the current level of performance and the player retention issues especially among impact freshmen and sophomores who are getting playing time acceptable to you? If not, then what would you propose to fix these issues other than firing Lottich? In my mind Lottich has clearly shown that he is way in over his head at this level and has clearly shown that his players do not buy in or enjoy playing for him. I look at Valpo basketball and I see a program very much in crisis that needs drastic overhaul in multiple facets. What do you see?

valpotx

It took us several seasons to put our stamp on the Horizon League, and it will be the same for the MVC.  We're not getting blown out in games, other than the home Loyola game.  We've already shown we belong throughout the last few seasons, and just need to learn to close the door/step on the opponent's throat, when we have leads. 
"Don't mess with Texas"