• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Loyola and Drake NCAA Tourney

Started by valpo84, March 18, 2021, 07:57:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JD24

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on March 22, 2021, 09:30:29 PM
Quote from: JD24 on March 22, 2021, 09:21:24 PM
Quote from: VUGrad1314 on March 22, 2021, 08:35:33 PMTake the HL year out. We're not there anymore and it was with Bryce's players. Alec Peters was the coach of that team not Matt Lottich and we saw that was true when Peters went out at the end of the year
Dude. Try a sedative.
The HL year is irrelevant because Matt is clearly not up to snuff when it comes to coaching where we are now in the MVC. blah blah blah.
Then why did you bring it up?

As to the rest of your post(s), typical rants to nowhere but Valpo should look at its entire basketball program and this goes beyond the coach. The coach may and maybe should be replaced but my suspicion is that this is more than a single issue.

valpo95

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on March 22, 2021, 08:35:33 PMTake the HL year out. We're not there anymore and it was with Bryce's players. Alec Peters was the coach of that team not Matt Lottich and we saw that was true when Peters went out at the end of the year

OK, so we'll take out Porter Moser's first four years at ISUr (where he went 22-50 in the MVC). We'll take out Moser's first two years at Loyola, where he went 6-28 in the Horizon League. We'll take out Matt Lottich's first year in the HL, and just compare Moser's first four years in the MVC at Loyola, with Matt Lottch's first four years in the MVC at Valpo.

Moser
4-14 (2013-14)
8-10
7-11
8-10
Total (27-45)

Lottich
6-12  (2017-18)
7-11
9-9
7-11 
Total (29-43)

Obviously, their records are pretty comparable over similar periods (and facts are stubborn things). Clearly no one is satisfied with the middling performance of the team, yet the decision to get a new coach is more nuanced than some are recognizing.

usc4valpo

Loyola will be facing the Conference of Champions tourney winner, so they better be ready.

vu72

Given all the efforts toward more money for female athletics, although smaller, I'm pretty sure the women will get some money per game in their tourney.  The MVC had two women's team in the tourney with Bradley losing in the first round but Missouri State now in the Sweet Sixteen.  Apparently it is the first time The Valley has had both a Women's and Men's team reach the Sweet Sixteen in the same year.

So as of now the Women have five shares locked up and the Men have six shares. A very nice haul and much needed money!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

IrishDawg

Quote from: usc4valpo on March 23, 2021, 11:34:48 AM
Loyola will be facing the Conference of Champions tourney winner, so they better be ready.

Beaver Fever is about to get a dose of Sister Jean.  Ramblers will probably be 5-6 point favorites given the metrics, which honestly I would take Loyola and the points unless it's up near double digits.  This should honestly be the easiest game of the tournament for Loyola.  If Syracuse wins the other game, Loyola should once again be favored, and if Houston wins, they might be favored by a point.

may know

Shares in the women's tourney isn't bringing anything financially. Just pride.

usc4valpo

Loyola will not play as well as they did against Illinois, and the Beavers have the full support of the great Pac12 ambassador and legendary commentator Bill Walton, which may trump over Sister Jean in an illegalized drug influenced perspective. I truly hope Loyola wins but it wont be as easy as Illinois - they are facing the Conference of Champions tournament winner in O-State.

VUGrad1314

Quote from: usc4valpo on March 25, 2021, 01:01:19 PMLoyola will not play as well as they did against Illinois, and the Beavers have the full support of the great Pac12 ambassador and legendary commentator Bill Walton, which may trump over Sister Jean in an illegalized drug influenced perspective. I truly hope Loyola wins but it wont be as easy as Illinois - they are facing the Conference of Champions tournament winner in O-State.

And possibly the hottest team in the country. This really isn't the cakewalk some think it will be. Loyola will have to come ready.

IrishDawg

Quote from: usc4valpo on March 25, 2021, 01:01:19 PM
Loyola will not play as well as they did against Illinois, and the Beavers have the full support of the great Pac12 ambassador and legendary commentator Bill Walton, which may trump over Sister Jean in an illegalized drug influenced perspective. I truly hope Loyola wins but it wont be as easy as Illinois - they are facing the Conference of Champions tournament winner in O-State.

To each his own, but Bill Walton is pure empty calories in terms of legitimate basketball analysis.  Entertaining?  Certainly.  Passionate about the Pac 12?  Absolutely.  But like Vitale, it's a shtick, and I will actively mute the volume when either of them are calling a game.

We'll see in terms of ease of victory for Loyola.  I don't think they'll play as well as they did against Illinois, but I also don't think they'll need to.  Oregon State won their last tourney game by getting to the foul line 35 times (they made 32).  Loyola is top 10 in the nation on defense for not sending to teams to the stripe.  Loyola can't sleepwalk through it, but with their current group, I wouldn't expect them to.

valpotx

The Conference of Could-Have-Beens will fall to the Mighty MVC!
"Don't mess with Texas"

usc4valpo

valpotx

"Don't mess with Texas"

VUGrad1314

Quote from: usc4valpo on March 25, 2021, 04:03:07 PMHow did Drake do?  ;)

Much better than Kansas... And shorthanded too...

usc4valpo

If Loyola plays to their potential, they will win. All I am saying is that this game is no gimme and the Ramblers cannot allow a letdown.

VUGrad1314

Quote from: usc4valpo on March 26, 2021, 06:21:40 AMIf Loyola plays to their potential, they will win. All I am saying is that this game is no gimme and the Ramblers cannot allow a letdown.

I don't believe you're going to find anyone who disagrees with that statement... No tournament game is a gimme especially in the Sweet 16 on up. If you got here you're good enough to be in and you're good enough to be here. I think Porter will have them prepared especially with Marquette no longer hanging over anybody's head.

usc4valpo

Moser loves Chicago, and since DePaul appears to have a decent AD in charge, he may go there if he wants to and DePaul goes that direction.

JD24

Quote from: usc4valpo on March 26, 2021, 05:54:02 PMMoser loves Chicago, and since DePaul appears to have a decent AD in charge, he may go there if he wants to and DePaul goes that direction.
Moser's probably maxed out at what Loyola can pay him. Leitao was making just a bit more than that so DePaul would have to go some to make it attractive. Moser turned down more than $2mil from St. Johns after the final four team a few years ago. If Indiana is in the picture, Miller made $3.35mil and probably would get at least $4mil. That would be the job, possibly only job, I can see Moser leaving for currently. Texas is now open but that doesn't make much sense.

humbleopinion

Quote from: JD24 on March 26, 2021, 09:43:35 PM
Quote from: usc4valpo on March 26, 2021, 05:54:02 PMMoser loves Chicago, and since DePaul appears to have a decent AD in charge, he may go there if he wants to and DePaul goes that direction.
Moser's probably maxed out at what Loyola can pay him. Leitao was making just a bit more than that so DePaul would have to go some to make it attractive. Moser turned down more than $2mil from St. Johns after the final four team a few years ago. If Indiana is in the picture, Miller made $3.35mil and probably would get at least $4mil. That would be the job, possibly only job, I can see Moser leaving for currently. Texas is now open but that doesn't make much sense.

This is a really sad comment on the world of sports and, I guess, society.  How many millions does a person have to make before they are earning enough to be happy or, at least, content? Is it  just bragging rights? 

Beamin' Beacons

JD24

Quote from: humbleopinion on March 27, 2021, 05:23:17 AM
Quote from: JD24 on March 26, 2021, 09:43:35 PM
This is a really sad comment on the world of sports and, I guess, society.  How many millions does a person have to make before they are earning enough to be happy or, at least, content? Is it  just bragging rights?
Why is it sad?

humbleopinion

I think it's sad that there seems to be a sense that chasing money is the goal of life-- especially for those who are already have million dollar plus contracts.

Beamin' Beacons

Just Sayin

Anybody that has a job is chasing money.

usc4valpo

Is AOC on the message board? Just kidding

valpotx

Quote from: Just Sayin on March 27, 2021, 11:50:11 AM
Anybody that has a job is chasing money.

I prefer job satisfaction over money, as long as I am getting a fair wage for my skills/work.  It is why I have stayed for 10+ years now, regardless of the other high tech firms that reach out.  If I were already making $1m, I would also be of the view that I don't care if someone offered me $2m or $3m, if I was happy with my company.  However, you are correct, in that most others would be of the same opinion as you. 
"Don't mess with Texas"

usc4valpo

You also have to think about what you want to accomplish in whatever you do. A change in venue may enable bigger and better things besides money, like new experiences, better life, national championship potential, etc.