• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Recruiting

Started by Valpo89, December 02, 2011, 09:34:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vuweathernerd

Quote from: DMvalpo18 on April 28, 2012, 12:30:35 AM
Quote from: setshot on April 24, 2012, 04:47:42 PM
With all these goody,goody Christians coming to play ball at Valpo,perhaps we should change our fight song to:"Onward Christian Soldiers."

This has nothing to do with him as a player. If he can play, who cares?

this is just setshot getting riled up over what he sees as valpo ignoring its lutheran heritage and not doing enough to keep the student body largely lutheran. don't sweat it.

valpo64

Anything new on Peters, Rossi, and the kids from ND and X?  It's my understanding that Peters wants to commit early and the others are near a decision.

valpopal

Quote from: valpo64 on April 29, 2012, 05:17:34 PM
Anything new on Peters, Rossi, and the kids from ND and X?  It's my understanding that Peters wants to commit early and the others are near a decision.

I hear the same thing about Peters, and I feel good that he is leaning toward Valpo.

Rossi is waiting for a decision from the NCAA whether or not he can transfer to Loyola and not lose a year because he has applied for a hardship exception. Apparently, his Godfather and former high school coach is a first-year assistant coach at Loyola, and there may be a conflict perceived by the NCAA. As usual, the NCAA is taking its time in reaching a decision. It seems that if he can't go to Loyola, Rossi will pick Valpo.

I understand Dragicevich has just scheduled a visit to Oregon State.

Nothing new on Griffin McKenzie except that he is considering a number of schools besides Valpo: last word was that Penn and Davidson were at the top of his list.

LaPorteAveApostle

some peoples gots to make up their minds quick or they pay their own way to VU.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

covufan

Quote from: Valpo89 on April 24, 2012, 03:48:42 PM
Quote from: covufan on April 24, 2012, 03:01:08 PM
Didn't Valpo have basketball connection at Rice?
Todd Smith was a long-time assistant there. I think he's been gone for a while now and is at a small school in Houston.
That's what I was remembering.  Here is his bio at University of St. Thomas (Texas):

http://www.stthom.edu/Campus_Student_Life/Sports_Athletics/Intercollegiate_Athletics/1_Mens_Sports/Mens_Basketball/Coaches.aqf

I think he took over a new team, after one year at Tulsa and 18 at Rice.  In St. Thomas' third season of play, they had a winning record this year. 

VULB#62

Not to derail the line of thought on this string, but............

I am a relative newbie on this whole forum (couldn't ya tell?) and I could use some help.  And maybe there are a couple of others that are in my boat as well.  Anyway, to any of you grizzled vets: I am watching the transferring and recruiting stuff, and I find it facinating. It's almost like an underworld.  But, here's my question:  Is this a new and aggressive tack taken by Bryce, or was this always the way things were done and Homer did much of the same? 

Being from the other side of the world (east coast), in the past, until I found you guys, I only followed VU via the crawler on ESPN.  I knew, like everyone else, that foreign players were a strength in the past, but this is (to me ) pretty wild - the harvesting of dissatisfied BB players at other institutions.

I am feeling good about the fact that Valpo has suddenly found a higher gear in a better league (MSO, MBB are already HL champs and Baseball and Softball are on the possible verge of same). I'll be moving to WI within the year and look forward to seeing Valpo play more often -- been basically restricted to Marist in FB and one home FB game (oh, and I can remember a UWM game in MKE in the 90's when I was there on a consulting engagement).

So, thanks for any enlightenment.

wh

Quote from: swiftmutiny on May 02, 2012, 02:15:25 PM
Welcome, Alex Rossi!

http://valpoathletics.com/mbasketball/news/2011-12/11762/rossi-to-join-valparaiso-mens-basketball-program/

Wow, another HUGE addition to the program.  ESPN/Scout ranking 92, 4-star.  If he receives a hardship waiver, he will be eligible to play next season.  Next year's team is beyond loaded and the following season's roster is already stacked.

vu72

Quote from: VULB#62 on April 30, 2012, 07:51:15 PM
Not to derail the line of thought on this string, but............

I am a relative newbie on this whole forum (couldn't ya tell?) and I could use some help.  And maybe there are a couple of others that are in my boat as well.  Anyway, to any of you grizzled vets: I am watching the transferring and recruiting stuff, and I find it facinating. It's almost like an underworld.  But, here's my question:  Is this a new and aggressive tack taken by Bryce, or was this always the way things were done and Homer did much of the same? 

Being from the other side of the world (east coast), in the past, until I found you guys, I only followed VU via the crawler on ESPN.  I knew, like everyone else, that foreign players were a strength in the past, but this is (to me ) pretty wild - the harvesting of dissatisfied BB players at other institutions.

I am feeling good about the fact that Valpo has suddenly found a higher gear in a better league (MSO, MBB are already HL champs and Baseball and Softball are on the possible verge of same). I'll be moving to WI within the year and look forward to seeing Valpo play more often -- been basically restricted to Marist in FB and one home FB game (oh, and I can remember a UWM game in MKE in the 90's when I was there on a consulting engagement).

So, thanks for any enlightenment.

Grizzled vet here.  No, the idea of wholesale additions to the team via transfers is very new.  Homer added some (Cory Johnson, Brandon Wood, Ron Howard going back a few years) but Bryce has taken it to a new level and I really like it.  I'm sure he will continue to recruit and sign high school kids but I'm really thinking he sees something coming together big time over the next couple of years, and, who knows, maybe after a run to the Sweet Sixteen he will take his leave, but I think he is telling guys--"look, we have all the peices in place except YOU, come on over and we can really make a run", or some such phrase   ;)
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

vu72

So presume he sits next year and then has three years with us.  The kid sound a lot like Rowdy.  If he's even close we really have something!!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

78crusader

Uh...he scored 5 points last year

paul

valpopal

I'm pleased to learn Rossi will be joining Valpo. I have heard some very good things about him. I understand he is fully healthy and a dedicated worker on his game. I believe he should receive the hardship waiver and be able to play in the upcoming season.

The Crusaders will have a very strong team, perhaps even be preseason favorites. More importantly, Bryce is developing a formidable program at just the right time. With the exit of Butler, whichever team appears best in the next few years will build a reputation and become the number one spot for recruits entering the Horizon League.

vu72

Quote from: valpopal on May 02, 2012, 04:37:47 PM
I'm pleased to learn Rossi will be joining Valpo. I have heard some very good things about him. I understand he is fully healthy and a dedicated worker on his game. I believe he should receive the hardship waiver and be able to play in the upcoming season.

The Crusaders will have a very strong team, perhaps even be preseason favorites. More importantly, Bryce is developing a formidable program at just the right time. With the exit of Butler, whichever team appears best in the next few years will build a reputation and become the number one spot for recruits entering the Horizon League.

Huh??  Who else would be the preseason favorite other than the defending champion of the regular season who returns everyone.  Detroit?  No, they lose a bunch? Butler? Nope, they return a bunch but have unknown new guys and lose the heart and soul of the team in Nored.  It will be Valpo, and I'd be surprised if we don't get all the first place votes.

LaPorteAveApostle

Dear Pac-12,

Upon receipt of Alex Rossi, we are now in possession of the "player to be named later" in the "Richie Edwards trade". 

Pleasure doing business with you,

VU/HL

PS VU72, amen!
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

valpopal

Quote from: vu72 on May 02, 2012, 04:45:31 PM

Huh??  Who else would be the preseason favorite other than the defending champion of the regular season who returns everyone.  Detroit?  No, they lose a bunch? Butler? Nope, they return a bunch but have unknown new guys and lose the heart and soul of the team in Nored.  It will be Valpo, and I'd be surprised if we don't get all the first place votes.

Well, we don't exactly "return everyone," especially since two significant contributors, Edwards and Harris, have left. In addition, Butler's bringing in some very good players, including arguably the best 3-point shooter in the nation, not really an "unknown new guy."

DMvalpo18

Quote from: valpopal on May 02, 2012, 05:06:13 PM
Quote from: vu72 on May 02, 2012, 04:45:31 PM

Well, we don't exactly "return everyone," especially since two significant contributors, Edwards and Harris, have left. In addition, Butler's bringing in some very good players, including arguably the best 3-point shooter in the nation, not really an "unknown new guy."

Two significant contributors - sure. Replaceable players? I believe so. Our transfers are upgrades as far as I'm concerned.

EddieCabot

Quote from: vu72 on May 02, 2012, 04:45:31 PMHuh??  Who else would be the preseason favorite other than the defending champion of the regular season who returns everyone.  Detroit?  No, they lose a bunch? Butler? Nope, they return a bunch but have unknown new guys and lose the heart and soul of the team in Nored.  It will be Valpo, and I'd be surprised if we don't get all the first place votes.

You guys need to pay more attention to vu72 ... his analysis is thoughtful and spot on.  Valpo is loaded again next year and clearly should get all the first place votes in the preseason poll.  I'd say anything less than a 7 seed and Sweet 16 appearance would be an under achievement for that group. 

They've been the most talented team in the league for years, but just didn't seem to care about non-conference games and seemed to tighten up in the league tournament, post-season games and other important games near the end of the season.  If Bryce can correct those areas, next year could be one to remember.

FWalum

Quote from: EddieCabot on May 02, 2012, 07:53:11 PMThey've been the most talented team in the league for years
What?? Not sure I agree with that statement if you are saying it about the Crusaders.

Here is title that has been WAY over used.  There are about 25 players who could claim that title and next year they could all surrender it to 25 other guys.
Quote from: valpopal on May 02, 2012, 05:06:13 PMarguably the best 3-point shooter in the nation
There are a ton of guys shooting better than 43.8%. Heck, Rowdy shot better than that his sophomore year.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

valpotx

I can't ever tell if EddieCabot is a Butler fan mocking us, or a Valpo fan who sees everything through 150% Valpo-colored glasses
"Don't mess with Texas"

LaPorteAveApostle

The former.
Quote from: valpotx on May 02, 2012, 10:05:00 PMI can't ever tell if EddieCabot is a Butler fan mocking us, or a Valpo fan who sees everything through 150% Valpo-colored glasses

The former.

For the prosecution:

• commenting primarily on threads relevant to Butler (eg move to A-10, transfers vs HS recruits)
  • refers to Valpo in second person ("You've won a conference championship, made an NIT appearance, retained your coach, have excellent facilities and have surpassed Butler in athletics excellence")
  • Refers to Butler in first person ("Not sure if we'll be around, but maybe in a few years when all your seniors and juniors are gone, Butler might be able to compete again.  I guess we'll see."
  • Finally his posting stats (just .083 per day, roughly Butler's team FG% last year)

valpopal

Quote from: FWalum on May 02, 2012, 09:47:46 PM

Here is title that has been WAY over used.  There are about 25 players who could claim that title and next year they could all surrender it to 25 other guys.
Quote from: valpopal on May 02, 2012, 05:06:13 PMarguably the best 3-point shooter in the nation
There are a ton of guys shooting better than 43.8%. Heck, Rowdy shot better than that his sophomore year.

Jeff Goodman of CBS sports seems to think the same of Clarke as I do: "He is arguably the top perimeter shooter in the nation." Obviously, "arguably" means a case could be made for a number of others. However, even if he is just one of the best in the nation, that will still give Butler great improvement over the past season.

valpotx

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on May 02, 2012, 11:47:52 PM
The former.
Quote from: valpotx on May 02, 2012, 10:05:00 PMI can't ever tell if EddieCabot is a Butler fan mocking us, or a Valpo fan who sees everything through 150% Valpo-colored glasses

The former.

For the prosecution:

• commenting primarily on threads relevant to Butler (eg move to A-10, transfers vs HS recruits)
  • refers to Valpo in second person ("You've won a conference championship, made an NIT appearance, retained your coach, have excellent facilities and have surpassed Butler in athletics excellence")
  • Refers to Butler in first person ("Not sure if we'll be around, but maybe in a few years when all your seniors and juniors are gone, Butler might be able to compete again.  I guess we'll see."
  • Finally his posting stats (just .083 per day, roughly Butler's team FG% last year)

Love the last point lol
"Don't mess with Texas"

lowposter

Clarke and the freshman Dunham will give Butler ammo for this year.  On paper VU looks outstanding, will the pieces all work together?  The best player is Rowdy, as long as he sets the tone, it should be good.

lowposter

lowposter

Let me add one more thing....championships are won on the court, in the locker room, and in the classrooms....not the preseason roster.  No one had VU winning last year.

lowposter

FWalum

Quote from: valpopal on May 03, 2012, 01:01:41 AMJeff Goodman of CBS sports seems to think the same of Clarke as I do: "He is arguably the top perimeter shooter in the nation." Obviously, "arguably" means a case could be made for a number of others. However, even if he is just one of the best in the nation, that will still give Butler great improvement over the past season.

Quote from: lowposter on May 03, 2012, 06:44:58 AMClarke and the freshman Dunham will give Butler ammo for this year.  On paper VU looks outstanding, will the pieces all work together?

I agree with both of you, what I was trying to express is that I don't like all the labeling of "greatest this" or "preseason that".  Clarke is a great shooter and will allow Stevens to return to a more traditional Butler offensive philosophy.  Yes, VU returns all of its starters from last year, but don't underestimate the significance of chemistry.  Chemistry can change dramatically from year to year even if the players remain basically the same.  We are adding a number of players that could change the chemistry significantly.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show