• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Recruiting

Started by Valpo89, December 02, 2011, 09:34:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpopal

Peters had his second outstanding game in less than 24 hours, scoring 23 points in his team's 57-28 victory over Evanston. Once again, Peters was outscoring the other team at the half, as he had 17 points and Evanston had 14. Apparently, Washington was able to rest Alec once more in the second half, since they have a third game to play this evening.

Quote from: valpopal on December 28, 2012, 01:19:09 AM
Alec Peters had 19 points in the first half tonight, outscoring the opposing team by 7, then seems to have been rested much of the second half (since Washington will play Evanston tomorrow morning in a tournament quarterfinal game), but he wound up with 23 points and was the leading rebounder with 6:

"Valparaiso recruit Alec Peters scored 19 of his 23 in the first half for Washington (10-0). 'Alec came out sharp and Tucker was a threat on the offensive and defensive ends,' Washington coach Kevin Brown said. Peters shot 7-for-13 from the field and led all rebounders with six."
http://www.pjstar.com/sports/preps/x1922383718/Pekin-tournament-roundup-Potters-pull-off-surprise-Knights-Panthers-hosts-win?zc_p=1

valporun

Tonight's game for Washington against Springfield Lanphier will be audio broadcast online at 6:30 at this website: http://www.sportsradio1450.com/ If you have the time to listen, I'd suggest it. Pekin is a good tournament with long standing tradition, especially when two of the top-ranked teams in this year's field have been relegated to the consolation bracket in #2 Rockford Boylan and #4 Limestone. I'm going to definitely be checking this one out.

valpo84

Not our recruit anymore, but NC State v Western Michigan on ESPNU/ESPN3 right now. Austin Ritchie playing for Western Mich. Had two blow-bys past Tyler Lewis, who was an McDs AA and a really good player, although a freshman and has had lapses on D. Western starting to fallbehind as the half ends.
"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

valpopal

Playing his third game in about 24 hours, Peters scored 16 and had 6 rebounds, plus 2 steals and 2 blocks; in contrast, the other team's 4-star player, Larry Austin (a top-50 player in the nation according to ESPN), was held to 6 points and 2 rebounds. Still, Alec's team blew a 12-point fourth quarter lead to lose 49-47 on a last-second tip-in, the team's first loss of the year. Alec Peters' scoring for the three games in approximately 24 hours: 59 points.

Quote from: valpopal on December 28, 2012, 03:34:42 PM
Peters had his second outstanding game in less than 24 hours, scoring 23 points in his team's 57-28 victory over Evanston. Once again, Peters was outscoring the other team at the half, as he had 17 points and Evanston had 14. Apparently, Washington was able to rest Alec once more in the second half, since they have a third game to play this evening.

Alec Peters had 19 points in the first half tonight, outscoring the opposing team by 7, then seems to have been rested much of the second half (since Washington will play Evanston tomorrow morning in a tournament quarterfinal game), but he wound up with 23 points and was the leading rebounder with 6:

"Valparaiso recruit Alec Peters scored 19 of his 23 in the first half for Washington (10-0). 'Alec came out sharp and Tucker was a threat on the offensive and defensive ends,' Washington coach Kevin Brown said. Peters shot 7-for-13 from the field and led all rebounders with six."
http://www.pjstar.com/sports/preps/x1922383718/Pekin-tournament-roundup-Potters-pull-off-surprise-Knights-Panthers-hosts-win?zc_p=1

valpopal

In his fourth game of the weekend, Peters helped Washington get back to winning with a double-double by putting up 21 points and grabbing 10 rebounds. Total scoring by Peters for the Weekend: 80 points!

Quote from: valpopal on December 29, 2012, 11:54:44 AM
Playing his third game in about 24 hours, Peters scored 16 and had 6 rebounds, plus 2 steals and 2 blocks; in contrast, the other team's 4-star player, Larry Austin (a top-50 player in the nation according to ESPN), was held to 6 points and 2 rebounds. Still, Alec's team blew a 12-point fourth quarter lead to lose 49-47 on a last-second tip-in, the team's first loss of the year. Alec Peters' scoring for the three games in approximately 24 hours: 59 points.

Quote from: valpopal on December 28, 2012, 03:34:42 PM

valpopal

Another typical double-double for Adekoya last night: "Andrew 66, Bremen 41: Jubril Adekoya totaled 24 points and 11 rebounds for Andrew."

HC

Alec Peters will be in the building this evening per his twitter account. Looks like Clay Yeo will be joining him.

Side note: it's been really fun watching these recruits putting up ridiculous stats during their senior seasons. The coaching staff seems to really have a good handle on the recruiting aspect of the game!

valpopal

On the positive side, Alec Peters and Jubril Adekoya had "average" games in their teams' victories this weekend.

Peters: 23 points, 12 rebounds, 5 steals, and 1 block
Adekoya: 22 points, 13 rebounds

On the negative side, Clay Yeo, averaging 29 points per game this season, did not play in his team's victory this weekend due to a concussion.

vu72

You would think that Yeo and Davidson almost have to be on the Indiana All Stars if they continue the way they have played. As for Peters, probably a lock for First Team all Illinois.  Not sure about Williams or Adekoya.  If they are getting adequate press they should be considered for state wide honors.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpopal

Alec Peters had 27 points and 7 rebounds last night. Here is a video with many of Alec's highlights as he does it all—3 pointers, rebounds, blocks, steals, assists, drives, etc.

http://www.cinewsnow.com/news/local/REWIND--Washington--58--Metamora--47-186580771.html

valpopal

Video interview with Lexus Williams where he talks about playing with Jubril Adekoya and Alec Peters at Valpo next year:

Lexus Williams and LJ McIntosh Talk Centralia & College

bbtds

I've spent some time in Centralia, IL on my job and I can't imagine what the folks from Southern Illinois thought of those bright red bow ties those guys from Chicago Marist were wearing.

"Well, Marge, did you see those fellers in the red bow ties. Where they singing gospel music at the Baptist church?"

zvillehaze

Yeo scores 23 in a loss to Culver.  http://www.thepilotnews.com/content/culver-triton-split-doubleheader-trojan-trench

My daughter was at the game and said Clay was a good player, but didn't have a very good game.  She was probably talking through most of the game, so take that for what it's worth!  :twocents:

chef

SLU transfer Keith Carter is headed to Valpo. He'll be a mid-year transfer. Thus, he'll be eligible at the end of first semester next season. Carter finished second to Jabari Parker in last year's Illinois Mr. Basketball vote. Another great get.

LaPorteAveApostle

OMG THIS IS

COMMENCE FREAKOUT!

Early scouting reports forthcoming...
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

wh

He will start the 1st minute he is eligible next year!  He will be a HL star!

Keith Carter

talksalot

Wow is this going to be a fun few years !! Starting Thursday Night!!!   And they are all pronounce-able.  Not an Igbavboa or Hrvoje in the mix!  (yet)

HC

Wow this is fantastic! A great add to go along with the incoming guys and the few returners!

LaPorteAveApostle

Early scouting reports (but I think this merits a "Hello" post, but maybe that's something for down the pike, like, the offseason, when I'm not going abroad etc.)

KEITH CARTER
6-0, 175
Proviso East Class of 2012 (Alma mater of Michael Finley, Shannon Brown, Dee Brown, Jacob Pullen, oh, and Doc Rivers etc. etc.) 
20 ppg / 5 apg for the state runners-up.
First offer: University of Toledo
Also:  Creighton, Northern Illinois, first Loyola (originally committed), then St. Louis (obv.).
This time around:   Auburn, Cleveland State, Cal State-Fullerton and Valparaiso (obv.)

why he transferred:  http://saintlouis.scout.com/2/1251329.html

SCOUTING BLURBS
the late Rick Majerus:  "my best recruit since Andre Miller"

Joe Henricksen, Sun-Times:  "Arguably the best scorer in the class. He has good speed and deceptive athleticism but lacks the great explosiveness. High character kid who does what's needed for his team."

MaxPreps:  Honorable Mention; Top-50 player in class of 2012!  "Jabari Parker and Simeon were all that stood in the way of an unbelievably special season for Proviso East, which went 32-1 and received 20 points and five assists per outing from the future Billiken."

Jabari Parker:  "is that the dude that was behind me for that mr. basketball? like right behind?"

truth219:  whatever that guy only scored three points a game this year and quit on his team.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

wh

We still had 4 OOC games left this year when Lavonte became eligible.  Next year one of our OOC home games is St. Louis.  I hope it's after Keith becomes eligible.  It would be a great story within a story. 

bbtds

It was a great get for Saint Louis and a great get for Valpo.

I sure as heck didn't think he would end up at Valpo after the way the Crusaders played at Chaifetz Arena.

I had heard some very detailed rumors on the Saint Louis board that Carter was unhappy with Majerus not returning to the Billikens and knew that it was likely he would be leaving if Saint Louis didn't hire a new coach. I was surprised he left so early out of Saint Louis. Let's hope Bryce and the coaching staff will be able to keep Keith Carter happy.

vu72

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on January 15, 2013, 09:32:06 PM
OMG THIS IS

COMMENCE FREAKOUT!

Early scouting reports forthcoming...

I shouldn't have found this funny, nonetheless I'm rolling on the floor!  :rotfl:
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

LaPorteAveApostle

let me start my truth219 grumbling...

--he wanted to redshirt with the injury.  they didn't want him to.

--they had him play 3 games.

--because of that, he has three years here (hopefully) instead of four.  LIKE DORITY grumble grumblecakes.

Remind anyone of how miniscule an offense caused Persephone to have to spend half her year in Hades? 

vu72

A few comments regarding Carter:

This from ESPN:   Majerus said in the summer that Carter could be the best lead guard he had recruited since Andre Miller at Utah

From the St. Louis webpage:

Four-year letterwinner at Proviso East High School in Maywood, Ill., a western suburb of Chicago ... garnered first-team All-State plaudits from the Associated Press and Chicago Tribune as a senior after the point guard helped Proviso East to a runner-up finish in the 4A state championship ... averaged more than 20 points per game and five assists per game his senior year ... helped the Pirates to a 32-1 record as a senior ... earned All-Conference honors his junior and sophomore seasons ... named MVP of the Proviso West Tournament his senior year after averaging more than 17 ppg during the four-game tourney ... was the runner-up for Mr. Basketball 2012 in voting conducted by the Chicago Tribune.

valpopal

Though I haven't seen an official announcement yet by VU, I see Carter has tweeted his choice and has already been added to the board's Tentative Eligibility Chart. That is great news!

Add Carter to the five freshmen recruits (Adekoya, Davidson, Peters, Williams, and Yeo), plus Chadwick, hopefully a healthy Rossi and with Dority on the court for the full year, as well as one more open spot—perhaps a big man transfer—and we are looking at the best class of new players in terms of potential ever at Valpo!

It will be a challenge to get them all working together as a unified team in the beginning next season, especially with so many freshmen and Carter probably joining the team second semester, but it will be an exciting class to follow for a few years.

I have to say that on paper Bryce has done a good job of recruiting and putting together a team for the future.  I think a lot of credit also has to go to Coach Powell as well, since four of the new recruits (Adekoya, Carter, Peters, and Williams) plus Dority are from Illinois.

I have lots of enthusiasm for this year's team, and I will miss the graduating seniors, but it is nice to realize that there will be exciting times to anticipate next year as well rather than the typical lull often experienced during a rebuilding year.