• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Article about Coach Powell

Started by mp91, March 06, 2012, 09:10:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mp91

lowposter

A great article.  I always loved his game at UofI.  It sounds like he is a well grounded young man, with a strong faith.  He will open doors for us in Illinois that we could only dream about before. 

My guess is he will only be here a couple of years...he will skyrocket up the coaching ranks.  Look for him to be a possible UofI assistant next year.

lowposter

lowposter

The more I think about it....Bryce and Roger at UofI next year?

valpotx

Roger is a possibility, not Bryce.  Especially with all that has gone on with the family, do you think he would leave now??
"Don't mess with Texas"

hoopfan22

Quote from: valpotx on March 06, 2012, 09:59:15 AM
Roger is a possibility, not Bryce.  Especially with all that has gone on with the family, do you think he would leave now??

Yes.

crusaderboy

oh boy, here we go.
let the speculation commence!

DMvalpo18

Bryce leaving valpo is absolutely ridiculous. At least not for some years. Brad Stevens didn't leave Butler, and he easily could have.

lowposter

I do not think VU is a "destination" job.  We have been lucky to have had stability in the program for over 20 years.  It is not fair to expect BD to stay around just because it is Valparaiso University in Valparaiso, Indiana. 

lowposter

valpotx

No one said that we expect him to stay just because he went to our school.  It is based on all the factors involved since his HS recruitment.  He seems to be very family-oriented, and very drawn to the area.  I am sure he had other opportunities pop up on his radar when he was an Assistant Coach at VU for the 5-6 years, but he stayed here.  I am sure he will still get calls after this season and the upcoming seasons, but I don't think he will actively entertain them.  With his family situation and faith-based coaching mentality, Illinois would not be a good fit for him...
"Don't mess with Texas"

historyman

Quote from: valpotx on March 06, 2012, 02:11:31 PM
No one said that we expect him to stay just because he went to our school.  It is based on all the factors involved since his HS recruitment.  He seems to be very family-oriented, and very drawn to the area.  I am sure he had other opportunities pop up on his radar when he was an Assistant Coach at VU for the 5-6 years, but he stayed here.  I am sure he will still get calls after this season and the upcoming seasons, but I don't think he will actively entertain them.  With his family situation and faith-based coaching mentality, Illinois would not be a good fit for him...

One question...why is U of Illinois and the Champaign area not a good area for a faith-based coaching mentality? Ever lived in Central Illinois?

Why would it be better for Coach Powell? Wouldn't Coach Powell use a faith-based coaching mentality at U of I also?

crusaderboy

Quote from: DMvalpo18 on March 06, 2012, 11:44:47 AM
Bryce leaving valpo is absolutely ridiculous. At least not for some years. Brad Stevens didn't leave Butler, and he easily could have.

Stevens has a lot more resources at his disposal to keep his program at the level at which he wants to compete. Don't forget that.
If Bryce asks for an upgrade in recruiting budget, or assistant pay, and the school turns him down, what then?
My only point is when Butler had success, the school reinvested in the program. If Valpo won't do that for Bryce, then it won't ever do it for anybody and it is time to move on.

valpotx

Quote from: historyman on March 06, 2012, 02:23:28 PM
Quote from: valpotx on March 06, 2012, 02:11:31 PM

One question...why is U of Illinois and the Champaign area not a good area for a faith-based coaching mentality? Ever lived in Central Illinois?

Why would it be better for Coach Powell? Wouldn't Coach Powell use a faith-based coaching mentality at U of I also?

My comment is in regards to the school, not the area.  Bryce seems like he would be more likely to commit to a school with a faith-based leaning, which public schools do not endorse.
"Don't mess with Texas"

crusaderboy

Bryce is (obviously) an extremely competitive guy.
Having a taste of success this year that he has had, he is going to want to build on it, and not just maintain at the same level.
That will require a stronger commitment from the university. What if they don't step up?

What if Bryce decides, 'You know what? If I want to go to the Final Four, I've got to go somewhere else.'?

Honestly this could happen sooner than later. You don't think schools are gonna come at him hard now after what he did this year?

valpospartan

I love the job Bryce has done this year and expect bigger and better things from and for him in the future.  I would not expect him to stay at VU for his entire coaching career, but holy cow, guys, this is his first year. How about letting him get a little more experience before we have him moving on to bigger and better things?

crusaderboy

Quote from: valpospartan on March 06, 2012, 03:23:01 PM
I love the job Bryce has done this year and expect bigger and better things from and for him in the future.  I would not expect him to stay at VU for his entire coaching career, but holy cow, guys, this is his first year. How about letting him get a little more experience before we have him moving on to bigger and better things?

That's not up to us.
It's up to the other schools who are looking for a new head coach and to Valpo.

historyman

Which faith-based school will have an opening and be ready to make a Final Four and be a good fit for Bryce?

TCU? SMU? ORU? Bob Jones? who? ? ? ? ?

valpotx

There aren't too many Baylor situations out there, where a faith-based school can make that type of run.  Scott really 'lucked' out in the crappy situation he was handed, but still with a school that invests in sports and is in a recruiting hotbed for all sports.
"Don't mess with Texas"

drewsaders11

Quote from: crusaderboy on March 06, 2012, 02:40:58 PM
Bryce is (obviously) an extremely competitive guy.
Having a taste of success this year that he has had, he is going to want to build on it, and not just maintain at the same level.
That will require a stronger commitment from the university. What if they don't step up?

What if Bryce decides, 'You know what? If I want to go to the Final Four, I've got to go somewhere else.'?

Honestly this could happen sooner than later. You don't think schools are gonna come at him hard now after what he did this year?

I don't think schools are.  He has lost ten games in a down year for the Horizon league.  Yes, he has excelled given the expectations for the conference, but in my opinion, Butler is down, and Detroit and Cleveland State have been battling injuries.   I don't mean to discount what Valpo has done.  But your logic is fairly flawed.  Do you think schools in power six conferences are going to hire South Dakota St.'s coach? They only have 7 losses.  What about the 80 other schools better than Valpo?  I think bringing up Bryce leaving at this point is absurd, especially in a thread meant to shine light on Roger Powell. 

crusaderboy

I think someone else brought up the possibility of Bryce leaving, not me.

The Drews are very well-connected in college athletics. Scott has already blazed a trail for Bryce to follow. And you never know what a school is going to be looking for. I would imagine Bryce is an excellent interview with an the type of profile that makes college administrators all hot and sweaty.

I didn't say necessarily it had to be a Big 6 conference, but you never know how dominos fall in the offseason. My only point is this: there is going to come a time when the university has to make additional investments in Bryce and in the program that will be mandated by a couple factors: the success Bryce has had early on, and other suitors willing to give it to him. Matt Painter was almost forced to leave Purdue last year for the same reason.
And please, I am not comparing Bryce to Painter. I am comparing scenarios.

valpopal

Perhaps the attractiveness of Bryce to other schools might work to our advantage (at least until his dream team comes courting), because VU will believe they have to commit to enhancements in facilities and building the program in order to preserve Bryce's commitment to Valpo.

crusaderjoe

Quote from: valpopal on March 07, 2012, 09:16:47 AM
Perhaps the attractiveness of Bryce to other schools might work to our advantage (at least until his dream team comes courting), because VU will believe they have to commit to enhancements in facilities and building the program in order to preserve Bryce's commitment to Valpo.

Excellent, and +1!

As long as Bryce remains hamstrung recruitingwise by having to sell the program through a substandard crap facility, VU is in danger of losing him at any time.  If you think he's going to stick around like his father did for 20 years with substandard facilities when our "arena" is the worst in the league by far, I've got some prime oceanfront real estate to sell you in the middle of the Everglades.

crusaderboy

Quote from: crusaderjoe on March 07, 2012, 09:24:10 AM

Excellent, and +1!

As long as Bryce remains hamstrung recruitingwise by having to sell the program through a substandard crap facility, VU is in danger of losing him at any time.  If you think he's going to stick around like his father did for 20 years with substandard facilities when our "arena" is the worst in the league by far, I've got some prime oceanfront real estate to sell you in the middle of the Everglades.

my point exactly. well put

FWalum

Please see the following regarding athletic facilities development from my post in the "Valpo and the Drew family article from today's Chicago Tribune" thread.
Homer interview
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

bbtds

Quote from: FWalum on March 07, 2012, 11:07:23 AM
Please see the following regarding athletic facilities development from my post in the "Valpo and the Drew family article from today's Chicago Tribune" thread.
Homer interview
Yes, fwalum, but they also said a track would be built around the football field. It hasn't happened yet. IUPUI also promised Ron Hunter a new fieldhouse but it never happened and Ron was at IUPUI for quite a while and he finally left for Georgia State.

crusader1897

It's interesting that someone mentioned Bryce and Powell heading to Illinois, because I actually heard something about Scott going to Illinois, though I have no idea if there's any truth to that.