• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Residence Halls & apartments

Started by okinawatyphoon, April 03, 2011, 04:49:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SadersofthelostArc

Hmm, Ralph....not sure why valpotx didn't tell us he was heading out to Sin City....but loved the story man!  Keep up the great posting...we need more of you and less of....let's just say "some of the regulars"...'round here!

bbtds

Hey, you left out the menorah in Bryce's left hand in your avatar!   ::)

SadersofthelostArc

Are you guys aware that your references are to "seder," not "sader?"   YOU'RE :welcome:

bbtds

Quote from: SadersofthelostArc on July 20, 2012, 09:32:51 AM
Are you guys aware that your references are to "seder," not "sader?"   YOU'RE :welcome:

As Dan Quayle said "potato, potatoe, what difference does it really make?"

"Bush 41, Bush 43, now there was a big difference!"

agibson

I think the new avatar's fun, but, man, I didn't miss the in-crowd out-crowd stuff.

Back on residence halls.  I was by Uptown East today and saw they had a "New Management" banner out.

What's their status as student housing?  Is it an official option for those who are required to live in dorms?  Or it's just random, non-university-affiliated private housing that's near campus?

Not university managed, presumably?

SadersofthelostArc

Thanks for the compliment on the avie, agibson...and I agree.  The people trying to push me out right from the start need to drop the schtick and let bygones be bygones.

Uptown East is a really nice addition....I must say though, every time VU builds a building I get the sense that it will look out-dated in short order.  Instead of building classic structures like Wheaton or IWU, we build things that are oddly shaped or overly-modern that won't be in style for long.  (The student union is an exception, I think.)

okinawatyphoon

The university has a contract with Uptown East for student housing. VU does not own the building.  I think only Sophomores and above can live there. Maybe only Juniors and above.
Valpo '10, Valpo Admission Network
US Air Force, Sigma Phi Epsilon

vuweathernerd

Quote from: okinawatyphoon on July 20, 2012, 08:35:08 PM
The university has a contract with Uptown East for student housing. VU does not own the building.  I think only Sophomores and above can live there. Maybe only Juniors and above.

for uptown? it was junior standing to live there as of 2010-2011 school year.

agibson

Interesting.  So, a sort of official university housing.  Are there RA's, etc?

A little to my surprise, the university price for Uptown doesn't seem to be any higher than the price they charge random people.  The university rate is $8300/school year (compared to $5564 in Brandt, $6484 in Memorial,etc.). 

Not that $8300/year is cheap, the Uptown just seems to be expensive!  From $1550/month for a 986 square foot two bedroom.   It looks pretty nice, and biggish, but not cheap.  I wonder if it's the most expensive apartment complex in Valpo?

vuweathernerd

Quote from: agibson on July 21, 2012, 04:22:44 PM
Interesting.  So, a sort of official university housing.  Are there RA's, etc?

A little to my surprise, the university price for Uptown doesn't seem to be any higher than the price they charge random people.  The university rate is $8300/school year (compared to $5564 in Brandt, $6484 in Memorial,etc.). 

Not that $8300/year is cheap, the Uptown just seems to be expensive!  From $1550/month for a 986 square foot two bedroom.   It looks pretty nice, and biggish, but not cheap.  I wonder if it's the most expensive apartment complex in Valpo?

yes, there are ra's assigned to the building along with an rlc. it's just like the setup was at compass pointe (except more reslife staff) now that uptown has replaced compass as the university apartments.

agibson

Ah, I hadn't known about Compass Pointe!  For what years was that arrangement in effect?

I'm rather sure it wasn't there from '96-'00.  There were some apartments just west of the ARC, and some others (married student housing?) somewhere around Lynwood, but I thought/assumed those were university owned and operated.

vuweathernerd

Quote from: agibson on July 21, 2012, 07:05:39 PM
Ah, I hadn't known about Compass Pointe!  For what years was that arrangement in effect?

I'm rather sure it wasn't there from '96-'00.  There were some apartments just west of the ARC, and some others (married student housing?) somewhere around Lynwood, but I thought/assumed those were university owned and operated.

i don't know when the university's agreement started with compass pointe, but uptown opened for the 09-10 school year, if memory serves.

SadersofthelostArc

This conversation illustrates how slow the sports news is this time of year.  :snore:

vuweathernerd

Quote from: SadersofthelostArc on July 21, 2012, 10:13:21 PM
This conversation illustrates how slow the sports news is this time of year.  :snore:

cry me a river. just because you're bored here doesn't mean others aren't curious about the university's other projects.

SadersofthelostArc

"Cry me a river?"  Should I go "suck an egg" when I'm done?

I'll let you guys get back to this riveting conversation.  And if anyone has any info on where VU gets the blinds in Brandt, let me know? I'm DYING to know!!!!

agibson

I don't know that your post should be deleted, or any other punitive action taken.  But, "Sader", what moderate amount of sympathy I had for you is fading...

SadersofthelostArc

Sorry agibson....my apologies.  Please resume sympathy. 

okinawatyphoon

The first phase of University Promenade is nearing completion, which also means University Drive (the north entrance to the university) is nearing completion as well. Here are some photos posted by the University Promenade company on their Facebook page. In the first one, you can clearly see Scheele Hall in the background and the repaved University Drive leading into campus. The second photo shows the first building and the park that faces Lincolnway with the decorative feature. I think it will really brighten up this part of town!

Valpo '10, Valpo Admission Network
US Air Force, Sigma Phi Epsilon

talksalot

on the flip side, I just heard today that what I remember as the 1970s TKE House, aka 807 Mound street... will be un-moth-balled and gussied-up (a technical term from HGTV) for Fall 2013 due to increased enrollment...

valpotx

I really do hope that we can get to 6,000 students.  That increased enrollment can only help increase our athletic budget as well for all sports
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpopal

Just thought I'd add an update. The first residents, 60 international student-scholars from Ecuador, have moved into the Promenade apartments this week.

historyman

Quote from: valpopal on May 24, 2013, 08:51:54 PMJust thought I'd add an update. The first residents, 60 international student-scholars from Ecuador, have moved into the Promenade apartments this week.

Sort of like a small Guayaquil with those near the top feeling closer to the Andes.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

talksalot

Gee I wish you guys would Quit(o) posting things like that... anyway, the Health Center was moved into the first floor of Lankenau (Temporarily) this week, so that building can be razed for the new sophomore dorm going in its place.  Health Center will find a new permanent home in Promenade East on the first floor next to Dr. Baynak's office that moved in a month ago.

wh

Quote from: historyman on May 25, 2013, 05:44:41 AM
Quote from: valpopal on May 24, 2013, 08:51:54 PMJust thought I'd add an update. The first residents, 60 international student-scholars from Ecuador, have moved into the Promenade apartments this week.

Sort of like a small Guayaquil with those near the top feeling closer to the Andes.

It's good to see that the University is pursuing true global diversity, as opposed to what was looking to be a narrow focus in the Middle East.  In fact, it's great to see. 

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: historyman on May 25, 2013, 05:44:41 AMSort of like a small Guayaquil with those near the top feeling closer to the Andes.
Quote from: talksalot on May 25, 2013, 08:20:33 AMGee I wish you guys would Quit(o) posting things like that
i can't bolivia youse guys.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa