• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Recogntion for Rowdy

Started by crusaderguy08, September 05, 2012, 01:24:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpotx

If he keeps this up, there is no way Ray wins POY over Rowdy (unless we choke as a team...knock on wood).  I vote Ray Jr for POSOY though!
"Don't mess with Texas"

wh

3 POW awards in the 1st 10 weeks - Wow!

LaPorteAveApostle

"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

valpopal

LaPorteAveApostle

Thanks for the link.  The mobile version of NWI is running the print version too.  Disappointing...it's like comparing the EP/single release with the LP/album release.

However, also disappointing is "Homer and Bryce Drew poured over the video"...what did they pour? (Foster's, probably)
and Homer supposedly using the word "deceivious"...which...erm...
Rowdy "taking the reigns"...

Note to NWI:  Just because you publish something online-only, it doesn't absolve you from having to edit it.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

KL31NY

As other evidence of Rowdy's growth, I've got a couple .mp3 links at the bottom of this post giving some love to my former employer, WVUR. We've had annual Valpo sports award shows, and we gave Ryan our 2010 Reserve of the Year award following his freshman year and our 2012 Valpo Athletics MVP award as a junior. Not only does the first clip briefly detail the origin of his "Rowdy" nickname, but you can hear the change and confidence that has grown over the past few years.

http://www.valpo.edu/student/wvur/media/podcast/050210Reserve.MP3

http://www.valpo.edu/student/wvur/media/podcast/051312-Player.mp3
"Confidence is huge: believing you're better than the other guy gives you an advantage."
–Jason Kendall, Throwback, pp. 176

valpotx

Another great indication of the types of athletes Valpo attracts.  Do you see Ray Jr being this humble?  Absolutely not...
"Don't mess with Texas"

Pgmado

Thanks Apostle. I missed those two. Probably a product of staring at a computer screen for five hours. Yes, Homer did say "deceivious."

agibson

Quote from: valpopal on January 23, 2013, 11:16:39 AMDon't miss Paul Oren's very fine extensive Times article on Ryan. It is available only online. The print version is much shorter.
http://www.nwitimes.com/blogs/sports/valparaiso-university/star-on-the-horizon-the-ryan-broekhoff-story/article_59ede56e-64fd-11e2-b27a-0019bb2963f4.html

Fantastic piece!  Very high quality, and clearly a lot of leg work (interviews with multiple past teammates, ex-coaches, parents, etc.)  A great tribute to a high quality basketball player and a fine young man, and hopefully only a preview of things to come in this season and the future. 

Thanks for bringing it to our attention.  I read the print version last night, online, and probably wouldn't have seen this version for ages.

I'm very tolerant of the copy editing issues in the online piece - for a small paper I can imagine that it very well might _not_ have been released if there was a requirement that it go through the usual editorial process.

The print version left me pretty unsatisfied.  As a game day piece it... maybe mentioned Green Bay only in the side bar?  As a reflection on Broekhoff it seemed to... end rather abruptly.  (But, as with the editing issues online, I'm equally tolerant of what seem to me editing flows in the print version.  I can well imagine they had to decide what to do with the long piece on short notice.  Room for all of it?  If not, how to hack it down?  If the alternative was for it to go permanently into the files - the circular file? - I'm glad they printed the rough edit.)

The complete version is no kind of game preview, but a great reflection.

LaPorteAveApostle

Nobody blames the writer, PGM (or should) ... that's on the editor (and a source making up words is a traveshamockery).
Bob Odenkirk - Miller Lite's "President of Beers" ad #1

vu72

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on January 23, 2013, 01:31:37 PM
Nobody blames the writer, PGM (or should) ... that's on the editor (and a source making up words is a traveshamockery).
Bob Odenkirk - Miller Lite's "President of Beers" ad #1

Apostle, I think this picture with the wording is clearly over the line.  It more that infers that a black athlete would not be able to use proper English or simply settles for getto eze.  I understand the attempt at humor and, ( I hate to give you encouragement) most of your stuff is pretty funny, just not this one.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

LaPorteAveApostle

Dude, I know you're old, but guess what? that's how memes work:  misspellings and liberal use of grammer (not "getto eze", by which I can only assume you meant something like "ghettoese", if that even existed).  I did the same to Rowdy earlier this week.

In fact, I do it all the time.

Perhaps your delicate sensibilities should have been inflamed by similar "mistreatment" of an immigrant...although I also did the same to Kenney, and you didn't complain.  Maybe because he's a white male American, I don't know.

Here's a website (and a clue): http://cheezburger.com

agibson

Oh, and from the longer NWI Times piece...  "Buggy"?  Really?

Pgmado

Ryan is known as Rowdy. Erik is known as Buggy. Everyone on the team calls him Buggy. Lavonte is known as Te.

LaPorteAveApostle

Better than the alternatives, I suppose...

Valpo89

Quote from: agibson on January 23, 2013, 02:05:21 PM
Oh, and from the longer NWI Times piece...  "Buggy"?  Really?
Ryan calls Buggs "Buggy" all the time.
Ryan is probably the most well-spoken basketball player, ever, and is great at breaking down what happened on the floor during a post-game press conference.
Don't blame Paul Oren for the story lengths. The newspaper business is changing and what you see in print will vary greatly from what will potentially be published on-line. We need to embrace change. :)

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: Valpo89 on January 23, 2013, 02:18:44 PMDon't blame Paul Oren for the story lengths.

I think the only blame is given to the Times for cheaping out on an awesome piece.

agibson

Quote from: Pgmado on January 23, 2013, 02:17:20 PM
Ryan is known as Rowdy. Erik is known as Buggy. Everyone on the team calls him Buggy. Lavonte is known as Te.

Man.  This is what happens when your basketball team is born in the 90's, I guess.

vu72

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on January 23, 2013, 02:03:47 PM
Dude, I know you're old, but guess what? that's how memes work:  misspellings and liberal use of grammer (not "getto eze", by which I can only assume you meant something like "ghettoese", if that even existed).  I did the same to Rowdy earlier this week.

Perhaps your delicate sensibilities should have been inflamed by similar "mistreatment" of an immigrant...although I also did the same to Kenney, and you didn't complain.  Maybe because he's a white male American, I don't know.

Look, I may be old but I can still kick your a--.  Call it what you want, but it was in bad taste.
And "an immigrant" really? To my knowledge Rowdy has no present ideas of settling permanantly in the US.  Check the definition.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

vubballfan10

Quote from: valpotx on January 14, 2013, 11:37:36 AMIf he keeps this up, there is no way Ray wins POY over Rowdy (unless we choke as a team...knock on wood).  I vote Ray Jr for POSOY though!
By knock on wood, did you mean it literally? http://espn.go.com/ncb/boxscore?gameId=310552674

valpotx

Quote from: vu72 on January 23, 2013, 03:51:36 PM
Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on January 23, 2013, 02:03:47 PM

Look, I may be old but I can still kick your a--.  Call it what you want, but it was in bad taste.
And "an immigrant" really? To my knowledge Rowdy has no present ideas of settling permanantly in the US.  Check the definition.

We all just need to settle down.  The racism accusations are not needing to be applied here.  As Apostle mentioned, he has done that on several other people's memes, whether they are white or non-white.  The language he is using comes from the website he quoted, which is the IHazCheezburger site, or something to that effect.  It has been around for several years now, and is basically people putting 'cutesy' words to things cats/animals do.  I think the racism accusation gets thrown around WAY too much, that the general populace has become hypersensitive to ANYTHING that could be considered as such.  This coming from an HR Manager as well.
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpotx

Quote from: vusupporter on January 23, 2013, 02:02:42 PM
Another piece on Broekhoff from the Horizon League website: http://www.horizonleague.org/blog/big-game-small-ego-broekhoff-fuels-valpos-success.html

I love that he hints at the disrespect that Detroit showed last year after their win/at the end of the game, without really saying it.  A much more humble guy than I would have been at that age...
"Don't mess with Texas"

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: valpotx on January 23, 2013, 04:17:31 PMThe racism accusations are not needing to be applied here.

My thoughts exactly.  Thanks, man.

bbtds

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on January 23, 2013, 04:45:36 PM
Quote from: valpotx on January 23, 2013, 04:17:31 PMThe racism accusations are not needing to be applied here.

My thoughts exactly.  Thanks, man.

I agree. But I would keep my eye out for '72 if he ever goes to Florida.   ;)