Notifications
Clear all

Valpo News

250 Posts
19 Users
36 Likes
(@vulb62)
Freshman

@rezynezy There’s also a bachelors (2+2?) program, but the TV news report wasn’t too clear on that.

Posted : 04/11/2024 10:36 PM
(@rezynezy)
Junior Varsity

@vulb62 Masters in 5 are being implemented all over the country to try and boost enrollment. Skipping a year of college debt is a huge plus

Posted : 04/11/2024 10:47 PM
(@vulb62)
Freshman

@rezynezy Yeah, but this is a coop between a public and a private.  Not often happening as far as I’ve seen.

Posted : 04/11/2024 10:52 PM
(@rezynezy)
Junior Varsity

@vulb62 Well, working between public and private would offer a lot of red tape that would need to be danced around. Seeing as one institution benefits from public money and the other does not. Just having a masters in 5 option, no matter what it is would prove to be a massive gain.

Posted : 04/11/2024 10:58 PM
(@valpopal)
Freshman

Posted by: @valpopal

Posted by: @rezynezy

Maybe marketing nursing more is the play for the future?

Nursing will be the #1 major among the fall freshmen class.

The Board of Directors spring meeting is next week (4/26-27), and the administration is expected to propose at the gathering that a new campaign be initiated in the future to fund construction of a Nursing and Health Professionals building. A feasibility study also has been done for a new athletics facility, which would follow nursing in priority.

Posted : 04/17/2024 7:18 PM
(@rezynezy)
Junior Varsity

Pals statements are in line with the"Uplift Valpo" lead plan. The plan seeks to establish new homes for athletics and nursing. Originally I heard that the law building was being retrofitted for nursing, but this does not seem to be the case anymore. I also heard tell that the land adjacent to Baur field (Eastgate Fields) was going to be sold to the city in order to alleviate cost of these upgrades. I fail to see where they would want to build a completely new building for nursing to be housed. Aside from the Intramural Fields adjacent to the old law school, there doesn't seem to be a lot of space that isn't wooded. The old Kroger lot, or whatever grocery store was there it is before my time, might still be owned by the school and sold off to the city? I originally thought the new arena would be built on that site being honest.

EDIT: In looking at google maps, maybe its finally time to use the old Broadway plot. It should still be plumbed and electrically wired from the Cafe days. Minimal work to be done to replum and electrify the area if the groundwork is set. Also places the "flagship" degree front and center right off of the major highway.

As a verified stadium nut, I am curious to see the results from the feasibility study most. Could determine factors such as cost, capacity, and design inspiration. Company they worked with is probably most known for the upgrades done to Progressive Field in Cleveland. 

Scrolling up and I saw LBs statement about partnerships between colleges to provide degrees. I also see that the engineering school is strictly undergrad. I hope to see feasibility studies done to maybe partner with PNW or other schools to get these engineers their masters right out of the gate. 

This post was modified 2 weeks ago 4 times by ReZyNeZy

Posted : 04/17/2024 7:27 PM
(@valpopal)
Freshman

The old Kroger lot, or whatever grocery store was there it is before my time, might still be owned by the school and sold off to the city? I originally thought the new arena would be built on that site being honest.

If you are referencing the 3D lot on Roosevelt and Lincolnway, word is that the university has secured a buyer for that property.

Posted : 04/22/2024 10:19 AM
ReZyNeZy reacted
(@rezynezy)
Junior Varsity

@valpopal Yup. Thats it. Should get a good amount of money for it given its prime location.

Posted : 04/22/2024 11:09 AM
 vu72
(@vu72)
Freshman

OK folks.  Here is the latest from The Torch on a recent "Town Hall"  meeting including President Padilla and future plans including a new Nursing Building and new athletic complex. Also, for those who questioned the success of the recent Valpo day, it exceeded last year's result by apx 100,000.  Great read!

https://www.valpotorch.com/news/article_a666546a-fe22-11ee-b67e-83b0c4b9101f.html

Posted : 04/22/2024 11:34 AM
ReZyNeZy reacted
(@valpopal)
Freshman

Posted by: @valpopal

The old Kroger lot, or whatever grocery store was there it is before my time, might still be owned by the school and sold off to the city? I originally thought the new arena would be built on that site being honest.

If you are referencing the 3D lot on Roosevelt and Lincolnway, word is that the university has secured a buyer for that property.

Also, the university plan remains that the new arena should be built adjacent to Brown Field on the north side with the two possibly connected in some manner.

Posted : 04/22/2024 12:20 PM
ReZyNeZy reacted
 vu72
(@vu72)
Freshman

@valpopal Yup. Thats it. Should get a good amount of money for it given its prime location.

There is a piece of commercial property for sale on Silhavy Road, adjacent to East Gate Valpo property.  That is 13.52 acres listed at $7,399,000.  That's a lot of money. 

Posted : 04/22/2024 3:36 PM
(@rezynezy)
Junior Varsity

@vu72 yup. It's a sellers market. Selling off some land that will probably never be used would do well to subsidize cost of the nursing school and new arena 

Posted : 04/22/2024 4:23 PM
(@vuindiana)
Freshman
(@rezynezy)
Junior Varsity

This seems like a huge step forward for the school. Considering that those who qualify would be eligible for a 23k scholarship as well as other VU ammenitities right out of the gate 

Posted : 04/24/2024 8:39 AM
(@vuindiana)
Freshman

I agree. I think VU is being very realistic in pivoting fundamentally towards the community college students and local technical and professional training.

So far its just a dual admittance program. But I wonder if this could eventually lay the groundwork for a merger. It could actually be a boon to whatever faculty and staff survive into that institution, if it brings their salaries up and gives them participation in the Ivy Tech Community College pension plan. I haven't looked into it, but most state community college compensations and pensions are far better than the struggling private schools.' I hope VU admins are thinking holistically about all this, to see if it can salvage the employee as well as the student enrollment dynamic.

Posted : 04/24/2024 8:50 AM
Page 12 / 17

Share: